Archive for Monday, November 3, 2008

Advance voting ends

A long line of voters waits outside the Douglas County Courthouse to cast their ballots Monday on the last day of advance voting. County officials estimated that the wait would be about 30 minutes because of the number of voters. Some people in line passed the time by crocheting, e-mailing, reading or photographing the scene.

November 3, 2008, 11:03 a.m. Updated November 3, 2008, 5:48 p.m.

Election 2008

In-depth coverage of the candidates and the issues, all leading up to the Aug. 5 primary and the Nov. 4 general election.

Breaking Political News
Want to be among the first to know about news on the Nov. 4 election? As soon as results are in, or whenever breaking political news happens, the news will be in your e-mail or on your cell phone - you choose.
On the street

Did you vote in advance this year?

I did not. I wanted to, but I’m going to have to go wait in line.

More responses

Troy Dunnaway has good timing.

The Eudora resident and carpentry foreman for the Kansas Turnpike Authority rushed to the Douglas County Courthouse, 1100 Mass., from a Kansas City area construction site.

Dunnaway was the last person to make it in line outside the courthouse just minutes before the noon deadline to cast his advance ballot. Douglas County Clerk Jamie Shew and a sheriff's deputy had to turn away a handful of people from getting in line minutes after noon.

"I knew I'd be close to get here on time. I didn't think I was going to have time tomorrow. I figured I'd hurry and get down here today," Dunnaway said.

Shew said more than 800 people cast advance ballots in person Monday morning alone. Election workers by law had to cut off advance voting so they could prepare the poll books for regular voting from 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. today.

By the end of Monday, 18,158 people either cast advance in-person ballots or had requested a mail-in ballot since Oct. 15, Shew said. If anyone still has a mail-in ballot, they should physically bring it before 7 p.m. today to the courthouse because it won't count if it's only postmarked today, Shew said.

A total of 83,175 are registered to vote on Douglas County, so the number of people who've voted in advance or requested an advance ballot represents nearly 22 percent of registered voters.

Monday morning, the courthouse was packed with a long line that spilled outside. Some people waited for 30 to 40 minutes as election workers ran three voting lines.

The next-to-last person in line Monday said it was a good thing he made it in time. Steve Tovar, Kansas University's linebackers coach, said he has plenty of game plan preparation to do, so he wanted to cast his ballot early.

"More people are informed, and they care," Tovar said. "That's the great thing about not only Lawrence, but in the United States, that everybody has a voice no matter what your background is."

Advance voting draws crowds

The big election is just hours away and hundreds of Douglas County voters tried to beat the rush. 6News reporter George Diepenbrock shows us how they got their advance votes in just under the wire.

Comments

Flap Doodle 6 years, 1 month ago

Don't vote for the dude with fugitive alien relatives making illegal contributions to his campaign.

Janet Cinelli 6 years, 1 month ago

I voted on 10-15 and showed no idenitification.

madameX 6 years, 1 month ago

Uh, no it's not. I didn't have to show any when I registered at the caucus.

kansas_o_kansas 6 years, 1 month ago

This was my 1st time to vote in this state; mailed in registration card and was not asked for ID when I voted.

sherbert 6 years, 1 month ago

Hopefully voters in PA, OH, TN, VA etc.. didn't vote until they heard the latest revelation by Obama, regarding his plan that will tax the coal industry into bankruptcy PLUS cause electrical rates to SkyRocket! His own words, in interview with SF Chronicle, this year!!

Confrontation 6 years, 1 month ago

First time voters who mailed in a registration had to either include a voter identification number (driver's license # or a nondriver's identification #) or the last 4 digits of their ss#. If you don't provide any of those, then you needed to mail in either a copy of a photo id OR a copy of a utility bill, bank statment, paycheck, government check, or other government document that shows your name and address. Pretty easy. The Kansas voter's rights and responsibilities list says that if you are a first time voter in the county, and you haven't already provided identification, then you have to provide it.

nobody1793 6 years, 1 month ago

That is stupid to form a huge line in the name of saving time. I'm guessing I'll be in and out of my polling place in about 5 minutes tomorrow.

Confrontation 6 years, 1 month ago

"People are just really needing something new and fresh. Either one of these candidates could do that," said Josef LaFromboisePerhaps you didn't get the memo. McSame brings nothing new to the table. He is an identical twin to Dubya. He's worn out and he nominated a complete idiot to be his sidekick.

Chris Ogle 6 years, 1 month ago

It is so refreshing to see Americans Voting. Too bad more of us didn't pay attention to what our fearless leaders were not doing for us the last 8 years.

d_prowess 6 years, 1 month ago

I am glad to see Steve Tovar, Kansas University's linebackers coach, is getting the voting done early because I want a big showing from our linebackers against Nebraska. He will need to get that unit ready to go!

Wendy magillicutty 6 years, 1 month ago

Yay! a LINE TO VOTE! what country is this again? way to go american democracy!

coneflower 6 years, 1 month ago

I have never had to show identification in any state where I have ever voted. I have never heard of any problems, either. Attempts to cast fraudulent votes are so rare a to be unheard of (Ann Coulter is an exception). The widespread problems are recent, the result of deliberate efforts to complicate things and suppress votes. 80,000 complaints have already been lodged - scary when you consider that probably only a fraction of the problems get reported. Jail time and some $500,000 fines are all that will fix this.

Richard Heckler 6 years, 1 month ago

Oprah Winfrey: Electronic Voting Machine Initially Dropped My VoteTalk show host Oprah Winfrey was among those who took part in early voting in Chicago. On her show on Friday, Winfrey revealed she had problems inside the polling booth. Oprah Winfrey: "When I voted yesterday electronically, the first vote that you vote for on the ballot is the presidential candidate. And so, I hadn't-you know, it was my first time doing electronic, so I didn't obviously mark the X strong enough, or I held down too long, because then when I went back to check it, it had not recorded my presidential vote. And I was like, ohhOhhOh. And so the woman is walking around. And she says, why are you going back, why are you going back? I go, because it:didn't:record:my presidential vote! So I went back and double-checked. So that's why they have the, you know-check. Make sure you double check."