The Historic Sites Board of Review announced its 15 nominations to be forwarded to the National Register in Washington, D.C., for staff consideration.
Included in the list is the Fernand-Strong House, 1515 University Drive just west of the Kansas University campus. The house is on land claimed by James S. Emery, one of the area's prominent early settlers. The wood frame Italianate-style house was built in 1872. At the time, it was a rural property of Wakarusa Township. In 1905, the building received an addition to the east and southeast. Previous owners include former KU chancellor Frank Strong and for a brief period, James Naismith, who invented basketball.
After Strong's death in 1934, his widow Mary Strong had their five acres platted as Strong's Addition to the city of Lawrence. The covenants for this addition forbade the construction of apartment houses, rooming houses or business buildings, and required that all residences constructed should cost at least $6,000, all of which influenced how the community developed in following years.
According to the Kansas Historical Society, the property was nominated for its associations with the planning and development of the area and Chancellor Strong.