Archive for Monday, May 19, 2008

Kennedy awaits hospital test results

May 19, 2008

— Massachusetts Sen. Edward Kennedy remained in the hospital Sunday, awaiting test results that could explain why the 76-year-old Democrat suffered a seizure a day earlier.

Doctors at Massachusetts General Hospital said it would be today at the earliest before tests were complete, and the hospital and Kennedy's office released no new information about his condition on Sunday.

Kennedy was resting, eating and watching the Boston Red Sox and Boston Celtics games on television Sunday afternoon, said a top aide who requested anonymity because the family had asked that details of the senator's hospital stay not be released.

Doctors originally suspected Kennedy had suffered a stroke, but his physician, Dr. Larry Ronan, later said it had been a seizure and that the senator was "not in any immediate danger."

Comments

EXks 7 years, 1 month ago

All you present and future Social Security, Medicare collecting "little people" out there owe a debt of gratitude to Ted Kennedy.

georgeofwesternkansas 7 years, 1 month ago

"ReadingSports (Anonymous) says: ":minimal influence over say the last 40 years." Sorry, but In April 2006, Kennedy was selected by Time as one of "America's 10 Best Senators"."Did they mention Chappaquiddick??

jonas 7 years, 1 month ago

Holy god, but this is a dark thread. Some of you who rattle on and on about Bush Derangement Syndrome, I think you might want to go out and get "hypocrite" tattooed on your foreheads. Disgusting. Marion: I want to second Beobachter. Even if perhaps the two of us aren't quite as polar opposite, it is still refreshing to see an ability to divorce politics and humanity. Very well said.

monkeyhawk 7 years, 1 month ago

Godot - I, too, am very sorry for your loss.My mother died from this kind of brain tumor, just after Dick Howser lost his fight. Since I was familiar with his story, I knew that the operation she had to remove the tumor would merely buy a little more time. Her first words after the procedure: "did they get it?" My father had to tell her that they could not get it all. Though she had lost her faith over the years, she made a pilgrimage to a shrine in Canada and endured chemo, only to pass away 6 months later.I agree with Godot's analogy, that with the rise in the number of people diagnosed this kind of tumor, one should really think about sticking that cell phone right next to their head. There were warnings about that many years ago.

Godot 7 years, 1 month ago

This diagnosis explains some of the very strange word transpositions Kennedy has made in the last year or two.It is time for serious research into the effect cell phone use has on the human brain.

ReadingSports 7 years, 1 month ago

Jonas, I would also agree rather strongly with your 7:34pm post.

BigDog 7 years, 1 month ago

Mary Jo had a choice. We all have the choice to not ride with a drunk driver. It wasn't his stupidity that got her killed. It was hers. I'm sorry to say that. I think that all of us could live a lot longer just by saying no. -------------------------------------------Hell if it wasn't his stupidity that got her killed ..... he had a choice not to drive also. He got drunk and chose to drive .... he not only drove the car into the lake but also left her to drown .... went home and went to sleep without ever trying to get help.Now I don't wish cancer on anyone .... even Ted Kennedy .... but don't even try to take blame off of him for driving drunk and killing someone.

temperance 7 years, 1 month ago

Ted Kennedy's been diagnosed with a brain tumor. He has less than a year to live. What time is it? Time to crawl out under a rock and tell those hilarious Chappaquiddick jokes! Boy, those never get old.Besides being childish, joking about Kennedy's tumor is about as funny as joking about Cheney's heart condition or Reagan's Alzheimer's in other words, not funny at all, predictable, and bereft of basic human thoughtfulness.

guesswho 7 years, 1 month ago

(brian - you beat me to it.)DON'T SAY HIS NAME!

ReadingSports 7 years, 1 month ago

Gee, It's great to see everyone take my comment to heart... "I would caution any conservatives making snide remarks." (Sarcasm off)Just had to go playing with that fire didn't we?I second, or third, Marion's 5:55 post!The father of a good friend of mine has the same thing. Hasn't passed yet, but he isn't the same either. This cancer takes your humanity before it takes your life.You don't have to agree with the man to have compassion for him and his family.

Mike Blur 7 years, 1 month ago

At least when TK kicks it, he won't have to pull a Lee Atwater and apologize for his transgressions before meeting his maker.All right-wingers should read up on Lee Atwater--who was an extreme right wingnut until the day he was diagnosed with a glioma. He spent the last year of his life apologizing to liberals he once demonized, and now only God and Satan knows whether or not he's in heaven or hell.BTW, did someone named "gigolo" get disappeadeded? I'm late to the party.

notajayhawk 7 years, 1 month ago

Windlass (Anonymous) says: "Mary Jo had a choice. We all have the choice to not ride with a drunk driver. It wasn't his stupidity that got her killed. It was hers. I'm sorry to say that. I think that all of us could live a lot longer just by saying no."Blame the victim. A new low even for Windlass.

ReadingSports 7 years, 1 month ago

Godot,I'm sorry for your loss. Any cancer can be rough. It's good to be at home with family, and to be at peace, when the end comes.

Godot 7 years, 1 month ago

Having lost a family member to glioblastoma, I can attest that it is a terrible diagnosis, and the road ahead for Kennedy is bleak. This begins a long journey of sorrow for his family and friends. Fortunately, Kennedy is wealthy and powerful and can be treated by the nation's best doctors and hospitals; and when the time comes that they can do do more, he can be cared for at home, to the end, with dignity.

kansaskev61 7 years, 1 month ago

If it were anybody else who had an unknown seizure and not a word would be printed. Could the unknown cause be maybe....oh, I don't know.......good old Irish Whiskey. Whatever the cause, I'm glad he wasn't behind the wheel, near a waterway with a female passenger. Oh I forgot, been there, done that.

BrianR 7 years, 1 month ago

lucky_man (Anonymous) says:What I did want to say, is imagine the hate the far-left blogs would be spewing today, if it were "you-know-who".Voldemort?

BigPrune 7 years, 1 month ago

His tumor is cancerous and he has one year to live.

RedwoodCoast 7 years, 1 month ago

I wondered what I would encounter when I saw this story. Just as did the mind of ReadingSports, my mind, too, wandered back to a story about the passing of the late Charlton Heston posted on April 6, 2008 on this here webiste:A cut/paste from that thread (if you want to implicate people, then look at the article yourselves):http://www2.ljworld.com/news/2008/apr/06/hollywood_legend_charlton_heston_dies_age_84/Poster1:"And the world is better for his passing. Another symbol of NRA arrogance is gone."Poster2:"[Poster1] exemplifies the far left hate fringies often posting on here, but they also are in charge of the democrat party. they run it through the Daily Kos, and moveon.org. Beo shows just what these people are really like. some of them, upon hearing that Nancy Reagan had fallen, wished a painful death on her. some of them wished that Tony Snow's cancer would kill him. these are the bloodthirsty liberals. very angry, very sad to see."Then I chimed in with:" What if Nader or Ted Kennedy suddenly croaked?"Well, what's going on here, huh? He isn't dead yet, but boy, it sure sounds like some people would be happy about it happening. I'm not going to go back and read everyone's comments, but it seems as though a big deal was made of ReadingSports' 10:32 PM comment. I'm not pointing fingers at anyone, but I am pointing a finger at the obvious. Even the Barack Hussein and anti-abortion crowds found a way to work in their vitriol.

Navin_R_Johnson 7 years, 1 month ago

yeah duplenty,i'm with you.i'm sure you were as staunch a champion of "human worth" and "americanism" when the wing nuts were demonstrating their tolerance, progressiveness and open-mindedness at the death of jerry falwell.or is your outrage merely situationally selective of an ideological POV and thus irrelevant? i'm bettin' the latter.you know, you coulda just shut up, passed on by and us merely continue to think you a fool...but no, you had to flap your gums and remove any shred of doubt.hope yer happy, you've made us all dumber. now get on back to the trailer park, your party work is done here ...genius.

youngitized 7 years, 1 month ago

Regardless if you agree/disagree with Kennedy's actions or policies the man has lived (still living) an extremely productive life. The thing that irritates me is people like (un)lucky_man spewing hatred and trash so that everyone else viewing the site has to read it.

georgeofwesternkansas 7 years, 1 month ago

Chappaquiddick Fats goes down for the count. Must be the curse of Mary Joe!!Hey tony88, keep up or get off. Teddy is Edward.

Godot 7 years, 1 month ago

This is sad, sad news for Sen. Kennedy and his family.

madam_hillarys_pantsuits 7 years, 1 month ago

I wonder where ol' Ted's drinking buddy Senator Chris Dodd was while Teddy was quivering and shaking about?......probably passed out under a table.Well....good thing Victoria was there to dial 911 and save the day!

EXks 7 years, 1 month ago

tsk, tsk, and some of you people call yourselves "christian" now what would your master say????

Danielle Brunin 7 years, 1 month ago

Although the outlook is bleak, there is hope. My grandpa was diagnosed with glioma in March 1980. He was diagnosed after suffering a seizure as well. He underwent radiation and they stopped it from growing. He lived until September 11, 2000 when he died from complications of surgery for a new, more aggressive glioblastoma tumor, but not the tumor itself. He never really came out of the surgery, got a staph infection in his earlobe (very weird), and didn't recover. In some ways, it was a blessing because he didn't have to endure the extreme pain that he surely would have had, had he made a full recovery from the surgery. With Kennedy's access to the best doctors, this may not necessarily be the end, only time knows.

ReadingSports 7 years, 1 month ago

"...minimal influence over say the last 40 years." Sorry, but In April 2006, Kennedy was selected by Time as one of "America's 10 Best Senators". (Source Wikipedia)And also from Wikipedia, "Kennedy was a leading member of the bipartisan team that wrote the controversial No Child Left Behind Act of 2001", which I've had personal experience with and was a decent piece of legislation, in spite of the bad press it gets. Please don't minimize the influence Sen. Kennedy has.I would caution any conservatives making snide remarks. When Heston and Falwell passed away, certain liberal elements made some nasty comments, and conservatives were rightly annoyed. While I know that many people find certain aspects of Teddy's life...disagreeable. We should not judge, and any Christians in particular should pray for him and not point fingers at another's sin, when in our hearts we are just as sinful.And I'm not saying that anyone has been snide.

madam_hillarys_pantsuits 7 years, 1 month ago

Thanks, George! I'd say that outside of Massachusetts....most young folks under the age of 30 probably have no idea that Edward Kennedy is in fact "Ted" Kennedy.

dirkleisure 7 years, 1 month ago

Phooey. Lucky Man had really just gotten started!

Rationalanimal 7 years, 1 month ago

Given the man's political philosophies, he's had brain cancer for a long time. Look how long Senator Byrd has lived. He'll be fine.

BigPrune 7 years, 1 month ago

It just goes to show you, money won't buy you happiness and money won't buy you health.

ReadingSports 7 years, 1 month ago

Marion, That was a really good and thoughtful post. I feel a similiar, but not the same, conflict that you seem to be expressing toward Kennedy. And I won't beat him while he's down either, even though I disagree with him on a lot of things.

ReadingSports 7 years, 1 month ago

Well Cal Thomas weights in. I thought it was good.http://www.calthomas.com/index.php?news=2270Although, I think Marion said everything that needed to be said.