Archive for Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Students rally after thief takes donations

Veritas community raises $1,700 to aid overseas youth

May 14, 2008

Students rally after school break-in

Students at Veritas Christian School prove that nothing can stand in their way - not even theft. Many items around the school were stolen during a break-in, but one class was hit harder than the others. Enlarge video

Annette Tiegreen says her second-graders are excited to help out other children around the world, namely those enslaved in Thailand.

"They have been very passionate about making sure that these children were saved and helped, and it's been neat to see that in their hearts that they wanted to be a part of that," the Veritas Christian School teacher said.

A month ago, Tiegreen's class decided to save their own money, with the goal of freeing one enslaved child at a cost of $128. Shortly after the project began, it came to an abrupt end. Outside of school hours, a thief walked into the classroom and stole the children's money from the teacher's desk drawer.

"I was really sad, and I wanted to help," second-grader Isaak Torkelson said.

Determined in their efforts, the class and school pulled together in a remarkable way.

"I went home, and everyone was packing their lunch in my family, and my mom gave me a big jar of money and there were pennies and dollars and everything," said Chloe Holland, a second-grader.

Chloe wasn't the only one helping out. Some students set up a lemonade stand. Others did chores to earn money. And many donations came from students in other classrooms.

Overall, the students collected more than $1,700, which helped them meet their goal 13 times over.

Comments

stupid_people_surround_me 5 years, 11 months ago

muhahha ha ahba ahaaamu hahah ef hew genius

Multidisciplinary 5 years, 11 months ago

It was the cat.I'm n ur drwrsStealin uz coynz!

Multidisciplinary 5 years, 11 months ago

alm77 (Anonymous) says: rodent, my husband and I were assessing the same when we were approached to contribute. I've contacted a long standing Asian missionary that I know and have posed the question to her. I'm still awaiting an answer:.--------------Why wait? Just ask Goddess Oprah! I'm sure Lisa Ling will be glad to run tell us how the middle class white folk can better spend our coffee money, and make us feel so good about ourselves.(roll eyes)

Sigmund 5 years, 11 months ago

ECM (Anonymous) says: "Also the reminder of the response was directed at WHY not you. I quick look at the preceeding posts and it should have been easy to tell."I thought the "WHY" was capitalized for emphasis and the your comments were a continuation of undeserved criticism directed at me. To avoid such misunderstandings I usually include the username and the comments I am responding to in quotes so to be clear..Apologies and thanks for clearing that up.

ECM 5 years, 11 months ago

Sigmund I wasn't pointing fingers just clairifying that the money wasn't the only thing taken.Also the reminder of the response was directed at WHY not you. I quick look at the preceeding posts and it should have been easy to tell.Actually I am one of the least judgemental people you will come across. But it is clear that your all the things you call me and then some. Hope it makes you feel better. Also I am highly educated as I am sure you are if you are in the legal field. Funny thing is for someone who responded to a post not even directed at you, you resorted to name calling and other assumptions of which you know nothing. Which could easily lead me to the same but I won't . Yes I know many people who had terrible experiences with religion in thier youth. Doesn't mean the experience would be the same. But that is your choice.

Sigmund 5 years, 11 months ago

ECM (Anonymous) says: "Sigmund other items were taken. The thief didn't walk into the school, they broke into the school, a nearby daycare center and other places from what I have heard."I was responding only to what was written in the article, in fact I quoted the article. If you have some special knowledge of a break in, other items stolen, and other businesses that were hit, then I suspect your complaint would be better directed to the LJW's reporting, not my response.ECM (Anonymous) says: "And WHY you are jaded and don't really know why you hate Christians or lump them into some sterotype you have created but the kids were working on raising as much money as possible."I became jaded at the age of puberty and have discovered no reason to change after law school and having worked daily in the criminal justice system. So now that you know, what is your excuse??I do not "lump" Christians into any negative stereotype and my defense of the religious and their beliefs is very well documented on this site. I defy you, or anyone else to find one post in over 3,200 I have written that was anti-Christian as opposed to criticising individuals who claim to be Christians, Fred Phelps comes to mind. Here is a helpful link to get you started.http://www2.ljworld.com/users/Sigmund/comments/ I hope you will understand that even though I think you are judgmental, ignorant, and prejudiced that I am not stereotyping all Christians, just you.

alm77 5 years, 11 months ago

rodent, my husband and I were assessing the same when we were approached to contribute. I've contacted a long standing Asian missionary that I know and have posed the question to her. I'm still awaiting an answer....

ECM 5 years, 11 months ago

Sigmund other items were taken. The thief didn't walk into the school, they broke into the school, a nearby daycare center and other places from what I have heard.And WHY you are jaded and don't really know why you hate Christians or lump them into some sterotype you have created but the kids were working on raising as much money as possible. The thieft took place early in the fundraising effort. Other classes got involved to help what was a 2nd grade project.Before you harp on the building of churches maybe peek inside and see what the folks inside are doing and the people they are helping. Really I think you would be surprised.

Sigmund 5 years, 11 months ago

"Outside of school hours, a thief walked into the classroom and stole the children's money from the teacher's desk drawer."How lucky that although the thief had access to the classroom after hours and knew where the money was kept, they didn't steal anything else!

WHY 5 years, 11 months ago

Not to appear more jaded than I probably am, but is this story suggesting that the theft of 128 bucks is what motivated christians to use some of their money to unenslave kids. I mean don't they need to build ten or twelve more churches.

J Good Good 5 years, 11 months ago

I love how someone automatically assumes the "cleaning crew" did it. Talk about your stereotypes.The janitor at my kid's school is a sweet guy who donates a lot of money anonymously at school fundraisers. Good work kids!

road_Runner 5 years, 11 months ago

That's such a neat story. Glad it turned out for the better. :)

vavs0929 5 years, 11 months ago

I think this is a great story. Im proud that even young kids are learning how to keep going after having everything they worked for hard for stolen from them. Learnin' those lessons early! I dont know who would do such a thing... to steal from a 2nd grade classroom... ugh!

rodentgirl16 5 years, 11 months ago

I think it is great that the kids persevered and worked even harder. I think that is a wonderful life lesson that they will remember for years to come. However, um, I'm a little concerned about them buying "enslaved" children. Doesn't buying enslaved children just create an incentive to enslave more children in order to fuel the slave trade? This happened with school kids buying and freeing slaves in Sudan a few years ago. It's a wonderful idea in principle, but in practice can create problems. That said, they should be commended for their intentions, and I don't know the background of the charity they were contributing to.

Confrontation 5 years, 11 months ago

GOD_you_people_are_stupid=proof that the library needs to keep the homeless people off the internet

blue73harley 5 years, 11 months ago

"When b3 tells you to take a chill pill, you know you've seriously crossed a line. lol!"acg - you read my mind! :-)

geniusmannumber1 5 years, 11 months ago

By "so-called Christians", who are you addressing? Specific people on this board? If so, who? If you're just addressing all Christians, everywhere, please see my reference to the straitjacket.

Kiana Griffin 5 years, 11 months ago

The amount taken from the drawer was actually less than $30. There were several other places in the area that were also broken into, including a nearby daycare. The school has since installed a security system.The thief may have gotten an outdated laptop, an aging digital projector and a fist full of change, but the children had their faith renewed, experienced the true meaning of charity, and were able to help even more children as a result.

acg 5 years, 11 months ago

When b3 tells you to take a chill pill, you know you've seriously crossed a line. lol! Way to go kids! I love the fact that you raised even more in the long run. Keep up the good work.

b3 5 years, 11 months ago

I think someone needs to take a chill pill.

GOD_you_people_are_stupid 5 years, 11 months ago

You so called christians are doing nothing but showing your true selves. At least I am honest about myself............ Let it sink in for a while, then maybe you will get it.....

geniusmannumber1 5 years, 11 months ago

Okay, let's play a logic game:1. Children at Veritas raised money for charity.2. Someone who years ago served on the Veritas board of directors (not the principal) killed his wife.Conclusion? Anybody?(If anyone has better a better conclusion than "Therefore, G_y_p_a_s is an ignorant, hateful bigot", feel free to chime in.)

Norma Jeane Baker 5 years, 11 months ago

It's interesting, gypas, how you only registered today. I assume that was simply so you could post on this story. You obviously have an axe to grind, toward anything Christian, and perhaps specifically toward the school and the church you mentioned. I'm truly sorry you lead such a sorry, pitiful and bitter life.

alm77 5 years, 11 months ago

GYPAS, apparently you haven't met many second graders.... rally they can - when they really want to. When hurricane Katrina hit, my daughter, completely of her own accord wanted to do a lemonade stand (as did many her age) and we went to Mass and raised about $150 bucks in under an hour. And $128 goes a long way in some places and you can bet the mission working to free these kids knows how to stretch a dollar.

GOD_you_people_are_stupid 5 years, 11 months ago

Oh I remember now. This is the same school who's principal is doing LIFE in prison for MURDERING his wife due to an AFFAIR involving WEIRD SEX acts with a member of a local church who's initials are MSCF. MUSTARD SEED..........

BalkansHawk 5 years, 11 months ago

G_y_p_a_s - What wonderful comments you make. Your play on words is truly uplifting. If we had more positive people like you around, we would be blessed. You are definitely a glass half full kind of person, and I believe that others should follow in your footsteps. Your optimism flows like a fine wine into a glass. I hope that the rest of your day brings you many pleasures.

caton1982 5 years, 11 months ago

What I don't understand is why the teacher didn't even have the desk locked... or even have it held in the office after school hours... for a teacher she's not very smart!.. congrats on the kids for earning more then they started to replace it... hope the teacher don't put that in her desk drawer.... I wounder if they new who took the money?... I bet it was a cleaning crew and they should be held for it.

geniusmannumber1 5 years, 11 months ago

Impotent threat? Check.Unwarranted assumptions? Check.More spelling errors? Check.Inflated sense of self worth? Check.Idiotic suggestions? Check.Slightly more veiled but still present ignorant bigotry? Check.

GOD_you_people_are_stupid 5 years, 11 months ago

Genius needs an attitude adjustment...........Let me get my gloves...........

GOD_you_people_are_stupid 5 years, 11 months ago

AND, second graders cannot RALLY to anything, their parents raised the funds. What a twisted, stupid story. Genius, you are not. Trust me. All I see is an unsecure "christian" school, a teacher who should have locked up the funds and is ultimately responsible. What is so honorable about that? They could just as easily take the kids to the homeless shelter and give them money. I give money away ALOT in Lawrence so I can talk Sh*t.

geniusmannumber1 5 years, 11 months ago

I think it's a testament to the human spirit as well as the fundamental decency of our social services that, despite the straitjacket, they still let G_y_p_a_s express himself by sitting in front of the keyboard and letting him type with his nose.

GOD_you_people_are_stupid 5 years, 11 months ago

Oh and ho many of you MORONS aree sending money for relief in China and the Asian victims.. Probably not one reading this, you scumbags.... Lawrence is full of stupid, greedy, ignorant idiots.......One day Lawrence might not be living in fantasy land, or not...

GOD_you_people_are_stupid 5 years, 11 months ago

unbelievable. Everyone knows Christians are ignorant and gullible. The REAL story here is the enslaved children. And how in HELL are you gonna UN SLAVE a child for $128.88. Sounds like a WAL MART price. Sounds like they are running a school that is not safe if someone could just walk in and steal everything. And of course the Lawrence PUKE World leaves out half of the details. It's called sensationalism , you morons.....

autie 5 years, 11 months ago

You know, that really sucks. A bunch of kids get together and do something positive and feel good doing it..just have some scummy, slime ball crack head steal all that hard work and effort. Slime balls that steal from schools like that should have "special' treatment from the courts.

Norma Jeane Baker 5 years, 11 months ago

No. Those things did happen, Py. But I think the point of this story was not on the school break-in, but on this particular class. If you watched the video clip, it mentions the break-in. I assume that insurance would cover the loss of computers, but it doesn't cover cash normally.

seriouscat 5 years, 11 months ago

Instead of becoming jaded and complacent, they raised even more money. Awesome! Way to go kids! Way to go Teacher!

Pywacket 5 years, 11 months ago

A couple weeks ago, an acquaintance mentioned the theft of the cash, and said some computers were also taken from the school and that some vandalism was committed. Her grandchild goes there, and she seemed to know what she was talking about. Just curious why (even though the main point of the article is the fundraiser) the computer theft and vandalism aren't mentioned. Did they happen or was my acquaintance misinformed?

Norma Jeane Baker 5 years, 11 months ago

This is a wonderful, positive story. It's great to see young children learning to give and to be a positive influence in their world. Way to go, kids! And, way to go, Mrs. Tiegreen! You've taught them well.

BalkansHawk 5 years, 11 months ago

Two things I can't stand, a liar and a thief.

geniusmannumber1 5 years, 11 months ago

I see. Not awake enough. I like that story better.

alm77 5 years, 11 months ago

Genius - no. She kept the change they collected in order to raise $128. Then, because of the theft, people fought back by giving 13 times the original goal. Good wallops evil AGAIN!!

geniusmannumber1 5 years, 11 months ago

The teacher kept $1700...in a desk drawer? Really?