Archive for Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Leaders warn of mail scam

May 14, 2008

Related document

National Deed Service letter ( .PDF )

Douglas and Leavenworth county residents are urged to be alert for a company selling documents that can be obtained for only a few dollars in the register of deeds office.

"I just want everyone to know if they get a letter like this to disregard it," said Stacy Driscoll, Leavenworth County register of deeds. "It's a scam."

People have received direct mailings from the National Deed Service of Northbrook, Ill., which is offering "official or certified" copies of important documents such as real estate deeds. Both Driscoll and Douglas County District Attorney Charles Branson have received complaints.

Most deeds are one or two pages.

No one from National Deed Service could be reached by phone for comment.

According to the company's Web site, though, the cost and time associated with obtaining "public records from a governmental agency" are worth the nearly $70 expenditure.

To get more information about a deed for your property or more information about a letter you have received from National Deed Service, contact Branson's office, 330-2849, or Driscoll's office, (913) 684-0424 or sdriscoll@leavenworthcounty.org.

Comments

bearded_gnome 5 years, 11 months ago

I've often thought thought I should rent a p.o. box, and place an ad newspaper/radio/tv that simply says:send $5, today. thank you. then see how much money rolls in...if you do this, I claim $2 for the idea!

stupid_people_surround_me 5 years, 11 months ago

GOD_you_people_are_stupid 5 years, 11 months ago

This story is crap and nothing more than fear-mongering aimed at stupid , ignorant people. And how does it become the job of Stacy Driscoll, Leavenworth County register of deeds to tell us to disregard this? I am calling her stupid a** at work tomorrow morning.......

bettie 5 years, 11 months ago

Has anyone here received on of these letters, and if so, can you tell me what name was on the return address? I just got a letter delivered to my house but addressed to my landlords, which never happens. If this is what it is, then I won't have to bother sending it to them.

geniusmannumber1 5 years, 11 months ago

Gosh, you know me so well. So lets see, we have a series of mean comments unrelated to anything in this article or in my comment, followed by an admonition to "shut up."You are very clearly not fourteen years old.

GOD_you_people_are_stupid 5 years, 11 months ago

HEY GENIUS, I bet you have to take your car to the shop to get it repaired, don't you, and you have to hire a lawyer for everything because you are too stupid to file documents yourself, and you probably pay someone to do your taxes because you are too stupid to figure out how to do them yourselves. Correct? Shut the hell up...

Eride 5 years, 11 months ago

If this is a scam than H&R Block and any other company that charges a fee for doing something that anyone can is a scam. Just another poorly written article from the journalists at the LJWorld.

geniusmannumber1 5 years, 11 months ago

Lets see...I've seen G_y_p_a_s post on two articles so far...7 typos...misuse of the words "sensationalism" and "propaganda"...one instance of bigotry...and calling the entire world stupid.Seriously, aren't the junior high schools in session today? And if not, should you be watching Hannah Montana like the other kids?

GOD_you_people_are_stupid 5 years, 11 months ago

God, I can't believe this stupid story. I bet Branson is loving this, he is probably setting up the task force with an army of Police and FBI to begin the manhunt..HA AHHAHHA HAHAHA HAHHAHA HAHA HAHA .. Anyone who believes this propaganda is a complete idiot. There is no crime here. HAHA AHABAHAHA GOD YOU PEOPLE ARE DUMB HAHHAHMU=HAHAHA

geniusmannumber1 5 years, 11 months ago

Sorry. Not a scam. It's essentially a $65 dollar service charge. A scam implies deception.

unite2revolt 5 years, 11 months ago

You can also file your taxes for free with the goverment, whats your point char?consumer1 is right its not a scam. It's a business that preys on gulliable and/or lazy people, like lotteries, cigarette & alcohol companies, bottled water "makers", casinos, the list goes on and on. America's public education system produces weak, dependent, automatons that can be easily preyed upon by those with confidence, self-reliance, and individualism. Those are the people who are successful. And they are succesful because they figured out people will buy anything they advertise.

toe 5 years, 11 months ago

I only accept warnings from followers.

char 5 years, 11 months ago

Read it again, consumer1."Consumers are being charged $69.50 for the documents. Copies of the same records are available from register of deeds at a cost of $1 per page and $1 to certify the deed, Branson said."The letter wants you to spend about $70 to get documents that you can get through the gov. for under $5.

consumer1 5 years, 11 months ago

Weak story, so, how is this a "SCAM"?? someone is providing a service for a minimal amount of money. What is the scam? they apparently provide what they say they will. So, again, what is the scam????