Archive for Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Man injured in early-morning shooting

May 14, 2008

A 38-year-old Lawrence man was shot early Wednesday morning near the intersection of Sixth Street and Kasold Drive, according to Lawrence police.

Officers said they responded to the Kwik Shop, 3440 W. Sixth, where they found the victim. The man was taken in stable condition to Lawrence Memorial Hospital.

"This investigation is ongoing and no further details are available," police said in a written release.

Ben Easthouse, a 22-year-old Kwik Shop employee, said he was working in the back of the store when the shooting victim walked in through the front of the business about 12:45 a.m.

Easthouse said he saw the victim on a back room TV surveillance video and came out to greet him. The victim asked Easthouse to call an ambulance.

"I knew what had happened, I processed that quickly so I said, 'OK, I need to get this guy some help,'" Easthouse said after seeing the man's injuries.

Easthouse said he didn't know where the man was when the shooting occurred.

Police said they are seeking a suspect, and ask anyone with information about the shooting to call detectives at 830-7430 or 843-TIPS.

Comments

nobody1793 6 years, 2 months ago

I wish people would settle things the old fashioned way. With swords.

elevenbravo 6 years, 2 months ago

It is curious how people can be so wrong about certain issues. It is only an issue because of the lack of knowledge and education. Like most bigots they rely on what little incorrect information that has been fed them instead of thinking for themselves. Any small bit of research will reveal the truth about concealed carry and legal gun ownership. These people would rather run around and spread the ridiculous fear that has been instilled in them. It really is tragic to live life based on emotions conjured by inaccuracies. The fear these individuals live with not only borders on paranoia but also influences their overall quality of life. It truly is sad; the only hope is they are strong enough to deal with this fear. Otherwise I hope they can find treatment that ultimately is successful.As for lack of media attention regarding self defense, this is the standard. There are websites that compile local stories involving legal self defense incidents; it is surprising how many happenings there are daily. However the national media shies away from these stories; as with any establishment they too have their own agenda.Above I referenced legal gun ownership. Illegal gun ownership is just that, illegal. It exists now and will always exist. The powers that be can try to limit illegal possession of weapons but will never eradicate it. Same with any issue whether it is drugs, homemade explosives, robbery, cable theft, identity theft, or speeding, ect. take your pick. People do wrong, then, now and forever. Get used to it. At the very least give yourself a fighting chance. Educate yourself; do not choose a substandard quality of life. Not to mention when you give your opinion you will not be judged so harshly by the masses. However, if you must cling to the fear here is some advice courtesy of Samuel Clemens, "It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt."

stuckinthemiddle 6 years, 2 months ago

elevenbravoit is fear... whether you know it is or not...and I do like the word "most"... and "vast majority" has a nice right to it as well...as in... most, if not the vast majority of people do not feel the need to carry a gun to protect themselves...because they don't have that kind of fear of bad guys...actually... "carry your gun out in the open" is the best thought out statement... ever...so few people carry guns that criminals don't give it much thought...but... you put that six-shooter on your hip in plain sight an criminals will mess with someone else...the only reason I can think of that some one might want to keep a gun hidden is because they want some body: maybe a bad guy to mess with them: so they can use it:wear it out in the open and the chances of you ever having to use it are great decreased:and indeed... some people...some people feel the need to carry a gun to feel safe... the need they feel is a fear...finally...I don't need a spare tire because I don't fear getting a flat...

Kookamooka 6 years, 2 months ago

If they would just tell us the guys name, they would probably get tips.

BlackVelvet 6 years, 2 months ago

Well, compmd, may be able to carry "open" but you will certainly be stopped and checked out every 30 feet....unless you're out in the county somewhere. Carry a weapon down massachusetts street and you'll be stopped. guaranteed! everyone will call the cops and holler about the "man with a gun"and Guardian, I can't help myself. I guess I'm destined to think logically....it's a curse I tell you. A curse.

geekin_topekan 6 years, 2 months ago

Robberies,shootings,rape and drunken-murderous driving.jealous genital mutalation.C/C hasn't put a dent in crime.

Jim Phillips 6 years, 2 months ago

Too many anti-gun, Liberal, Clintonistas in Lawrence for concealed carry to be too effective here.

geekin_topekan 6 years, 2 months ago

Actually I'm still up from last night!!Thanks for noticing though.

zettapixel 6 years, 2 months ago

You're up early huh geekin? :D But seriously, this is too close to home. Let's put all the pieces together, find out who did it, and lock the person up.

stuckinthemiddle 6 years, 2 months ago

let's see...who would seem to be paranoid and in fear...the person who doesn't feel the need to carry a gun?or the person who does?

HootyWho 6 years, 2 months ago

Ok, what Club is gonna get the blame for this one?Astro's or Henry T's?

Kelly Anderson 6 years, 2 months ago

The best comments on this whole blog.....are THE FUNNY ONES!!!! LMAO!!!

peter brady 6 years, 2 months ago

my ignorant guess is it was neither astros, or henry t's that shot the man. my ignorant and speculative guess is that it was an unlicensed person carrying an unlicensed handgun commiting a felony on another human being.

BalkansHawk 6 years, 2 months ago

Well, it wasn't me. 4500 miles away and an air tight alibi.

hipper_than_hip 6 years, 2 months ago

"I would ask that you practice your shooting skills so that you are more effective."We found what we think was a drive by practice range on the west side of Perry Lake. There's was a dressmakers dummy set up in the woodline along the side of a field. Lots of tire tracks in front of the dummy, and lots of shell casings: 9mm, .22, and .38. Fewer holes in the dummy than spent brass on the ground.

Devon Kissinger 6 years, 2 months ago

I heard the police were looking for a light skinned black male wearing a hoodie. This from a conversation this morning with an leo aquaintence of mine. The shooting occurred behind the quikshop and the victim made his way into the store.Off topic: The quikshop is posted prohibiting concealed carry in the store.

Sagecasey 6 years, 2 months ago

Moral of this article, don't ever take the last cheddarwurst at Kwik Shop.

BlackVelvet 6 years, 2 months ago

Wow, can't we for once leave the junior high school attacks and name calling at the door? If someone chooses to CCW, that's their business. It doesn't automatically make them a "gun nut" any more than someone who doesn't believe in it is a "peacenick" or "left wing kook". If I want to carry, and do so legally, it's no one's business. If you don't like guns, or don't prefer to CCW, then don't. But everyone, please grow up and stop the name calling that seems to accompany every damn post on here lately.

weatherguy48 6 years, 2 months ago

I live maybe 100 yards from that intersection and got home half an hour before it happened. I think I may have heard it too, I heard something like a gunshot but I didn't check the time when I heard it

Becky 6 years, 2 months ago

He he he this has been all very amusing.How this became a CCL discussion is very amusing. Are the citizens of Lawrence this paranoid? LOL very amusing and amazing.

elevenbravo 6 years, 2 months ago

"There are professions where obviously one needs weaponry. Perhaps there are even neighborhoods where one needs weaponry. However, the majority of gun fanatics don't fall into those categories"You are correct, the profession happens to be American Citizen". It is every Citizens job to protect the freedoms afforded us. You see we are taught what the 3 branches of Gov't are and how the check and balance each other. Very little attenion is paid to who or what checks and balances the Gov't as one entity."However, don't tell me I don't know about the paranoia that some gun owners have as I know it first hand."Some? What a qualifier. Can you be a little more vague?"If you really fear for your life, I suggest you take some self-defense lessons before you go gung-ho on guns. Sure, if we have a catrosphe like "War of the Worlds" or "The Day After" or some other Hollywood kind of dooms day scenario where food, shelter are scarce and people are desperate; then I can see where I'll have to become a gun slinger. However, I don't plan for the dooms day scenario. I just refuse to live my life in fear that there are people out to get me or my family."Thanks for the advise on the lessons. I think I just might have that covered. Not sure what your standards are though so I can't be sure.As for "dooms day" and all that. Is that what I think? Is that what all these gun people think? Oh right, I forgot...some. "I have enough self-esteem at my age, that I couldn't care less."I never knew self-esteem came from age...for some, right?"Simply, I would rather have that label than one of a paranoid gun fanatic."Is this a label? By who? A lot of people? You? Maybe some. Some people are paranoid about getting wet, paranoid umbrela fanatic."FYI: I plan on buying a shot gun. However, it is to protect my chicks - not to hold my head up high and tell myself I'm doing it for everybody's benefit as some part of a private police force."Good luck on you firearm purchase. Are these girls of yours in grave danger? Be careful buying a gun you don't want to become like "some" people.To address you "private police force" statemen. Could you get me some more information on this. I would like to know where they meet and what the requirements are for joining? Also, is the dues monthy or is it a quarterly charge? Do you have to buy your own uniforms? Who can I contact if I need protection?

Jim Phillips 6 years, 2 months ago

MichaelJ, what have I told you about throwing logic into the equation?

BlackVelvet 6 years, 2 months ago

"C/C hasn't put a dent in crime"Well, I haven't been a crime victim since I began carrying!

Bob Harvey 6 years, 2 months ago

11B...active, reserve or retired?

BlackVelvet 6 years, 2 months ago

One of the biggest problems I see in life (and in politics) is those folks at the extreme end of either side. Far right and far left. What works for you is okay with me, but don't try to force what works for you on me and I won't force what works for me on you. You are right, for you. I am right, for me. But when either of us gets too far to one end or the other, we tend to become self righteous boors and a pain in the arse. And that's too bad. But, I guess if it weren't for pains in the arse, it would be one heck of a boring life, eh?

dirkleisure 6 years, 2 months ago

My bet is the victim was PO'd about his Spangles order and got belligerent and threatening with the knife provided with his baked potato.Luckily, the Spangles employee has a concealed carry permit and was packing behind the counter.The employee was forced to "take him down.""You will sit quietly and eat your baked potato or you will face the consequences."Thank heavens the employee had taken the time to get a concealed carry license and had brought the weapon to work. An armed assailant with the knife provided with his baked potato is a threat to law abiding citizens.

d_prowess 6 years, 2 months ago

I hate to get off the gun discussion everyone is enjoying, but are the limited facts provided in the above story still all we know at this point? Seems like we usually would know at least a bit more about the situation by this time. If not updated by the LJ World, some of the posters here would have been able to fill in some blanks.

igby 6 years, 2 months ago

He may have walked from Board Walk apartments where a lot of trouble makers now live. Its only about two blocks as the crow flies. The Quick Shop has the only phone that open at that hour.

BlackVelvet 6 years, 2 months ago

Well then beobachter, I guess we have to agree to disagree. But we don't have to be uncivil about it, right? That is counterproductive as far as I'm concerned.

TopJayhawk 6 years, 2 months ago

It's a self-cleansing convulsion (much like diarrhea) Mother Earth goes through every year... Rarely do innocents get hurt. It's one druggie- thug guy going after another. Getting turf llined out for a long hot summer. If guns had been outlawed for a century, it wouldn't change a thing. These guys would still have guns. I mean, How hard is it to get that bag of weed if you want it? It has been outlawed for seventy some years. "The smell of gunsmoke in the springtime, absolutely intoxicating.

orbiter 6 years, 2 months ago

"For one thing, if concealed carry prevented a crime, then you wouldn't hear about it since no crime actually occured."--Really? You don't think if someone defended themselves from an attacker with a gun that you wouldn't hear about it just because it was legal? Think about it: a possible victim uses the C/C law to turn the tables on an attacker. You don't think this would be in the news? Here is a headline on ljworld's front page today:"Longtime broker takes job in Prairie Village" And you really don't think we would hear about a shooting just because it was legal?In fact, I'm sure all the C/C proponents would be already be planning a statue to commemorate it.Next time render a well-formed opionion before you condescend. (queue kneejerks from the C/C proponents: "but all you all you liberal Clintonista, Iran-loving, pro-immigrant gaylovers wouldn't let the story be told and.....) Go ahead, start your paranoid rants, and you better hurry. Obama and his Muslim army are coming to get your guns and your women. Ready, go!

orbiter 6 years, 2 months ago

"My favorite, for the all the anti-gunners, if you are so against guns will you put a sign announcing there are no guns in you house? If not, why not?"Not anti-gun, but I wouldn't put a sign on my house because it would look pretty freaking stupid. Who puts signs on their house announcing what possessions they own? If you are trying to make a big "BOOM, GOTCHA" point might wanna step it up a bit, Mr.Clever.

elevenbravo 6 years, 2 months ago

stuckinthemiddle"do you wear a helmet when you drive your car?"I have when a sactioning body requires it. As a matter of fact as dangerous as cars are it would not be a bad idea. You do know they kill more people than...well never mind."but I don't fear being attacked by bad guys to the point that I feel the need to carry a gun with me"Do you really think fear is why most (there is a word you should like) people carry? "if you really want your gun to be effective in keeping away bad guys you should wear it out in the open"WOW! Do you not understand that the whole point of C/C is that no one knows who could have one? Hi mister bad guy wait until all of us leave then do your worst. Hi mister bad guy shoot me first then you can have another gun. That has to be one of the least thought out statements ever! MAN, some people.p.s. GET A SPARE TIRE!

Marty_Ackerman 6 years, 2 months ago

African American youth between the age of 18-24.. calling it now.

lildos 6 years, 2 months ago

none2 (Anonymous) says:"I think they close around 10pm. I LOVE their commercials, but their food "doesn't taste better" as it is too bland, and for a place glorifying the 50's, they should offer malts."I really hope you are joking about liking those commercials...in my opinion those commercials are so bad they are the reason people are shooting each other.

BalkansHawk 6 years, 2 months ago

"There's was a dressmakers dummy set up in the woodline along the side of a field."Scare crow or scare crack head?

BlackVelvet 6 years, 2 months ago

beobachter writes: "Every time a crime is committed, immediately we have some macho cch supporter on here ranting how a person with a gun would have prevented the crime. we all know that is bs. odds are the wrong person could or would die or the crime would be committed anyway. If some one has a gun on you, you do what they say, period, if you plan on living,"This is true to some degree. as far as cch supporters making their comments. Perhaps they would be better served to remain silent and confident. If someone has a gun on me, it's up to me to decide if my life is going to end if I don't take action, or if I would be better served by doing what the gunman says. If I am convinced I will die if I don't take action (as in the kids at Virginia Tech), then I will take action. If I determine compliance is the best bet, I will comply. Either way, I am in charge of ensuring my life continues, if at all possible. If I make a wrong choice, at least I did something. By taking action or not taking action, I made a decision. I did not simply stand by and hope I would survive. If that is what works for you, that's fine with me. I don't agree with that philosophy but that's just me. I'm not better or worse than you, just different. I won't belittle you for your decision and please don't you belittle me for mine. Fair enough?

elevenbravo 6 years, 2 months ago

none2,"Are you sure you aren't from Waco? The only other people I heard talk like that were Palestinians working in Ottawa - the one in Canada. (It is a good thing I'm not Jewish.) They loved David Koresh. They said it was because he stood up for his rights and freedoms to the very end, but secretly I think it was cause of all the gals that were having his babies. Why wait for the after life when there are plenty of gals in this life."I guess you've never studied U.S. history. You know all those old guys who started it all. By the way it might be in your best interest to pick something other than a major Fed f-up to try and prove a point."No, don't worry I wasn't planning taking this future shotgun with me when I go out in public. Of course, maybe I should. Just think of how long its barrel will be. I bet the ladies would really be interested if they saw that concealed in my pant leg. Or even better yet, take it out in public, and that will really get their heads turning."Are you trying to say that people who carry a gun are compensating for something?You keep coming back to this issue. Is there something you would like to get off your chest? Is this a fixation you have always had? Those kinds of comments always came off sounding like jealousy to me. Then again I have never given any thought other men's equipment, so I really don't understand where you are coming from..

compmd 6 years, 2 months ago

Why all the arguing about concealed carry? In case you weren't aware, Kansas is an open carry state. You need no license to openly carry a handgun.

orbiter 6 years, 2 months ago

"orbiter,Good job, you got most of the point.Any of my questions would be stupid to answer yes to."Hahahaha. People with ridiculously bad rhetorical skills are so cute! Especially when they condescend so hilariously as you. Here are your first questions:"Do you have a spare tire in your car? Do you have a fire extinguisher in your house? Do you have medical insurance? Do run you car out of gas then get gas? Do you wash your hands? Do you clean up spills on your floor?Do you do jumping jacks in the shower?Do you leave your doors unlocked at night?"And here is the one I commented on:"if you are so against guns will you put a sign announcing there are no guns in you house? If not, why not?"Let's play a game: Which one of these questions is not like the other one?Once again, please come with something stronger if you want to destory everyone with your amazingly clever arguments. And you might want to understand your own devices before you start your silly retorts.I realize acting smart makes you feel smart, just like acting like you are under seige makes you feel like you are under seige. Unfortunately for you, acting smart makes your seem dumber than you probably are. Fortunately for you, acting like you are under seige doesn't change the fact that you're probably gonna die like most Americans: car wrecks and disease caused by unhealthy lifestyles. (Of course with a gun on your person you're probably upping your chances of a gun related death. There's a feather in your cap!)Good try again, Mr. Clever. You're your proving to be as rhetorically capable at as most paranoids.

geekin_topekan 6 years, 2 months ago

"..., if concealed carry prevented a crime, then you wouldn't hear about it since no crime actually occured."+++Using this logic we can safely say that Defender is proof that condoms are not 100% effective?

BlackVelvet 6 years, 2 months ago

I bow to your common sense solution, beobachter. too bad others cannot be as adult about things. Thank you.MichaelJ

stuckinthemiddle 6 years, 2 months ago

hmmm... I don't believe I've seen the film you're talking about... but would be interested in seeing...sounds plenty funny...

monheim 6 years, 2 months ago

If you don't think C/C would help, you need to go watch the diaper-stealing scene from Raising Arizona."Son....you got a panty on your head!"

BlackVelvet 6 years, 2 months ago

And beobachter, if a CCH holder is doing his/her job correctly, you should never know they are carrying.

Jaminrawk 6 years, 2 months ago

"I wish people would settle things the old fashioned way. With swords."Hah! That is the post of the day.

BalkansHawk 6 years, 2 months ago

Bizarre. Just saw "crack head" on another blog. Reminds me of a Jeff Foxworthy joke. If you see a sign that says crack kills, and it reminds you to pull your pants up, you might be a red neck.

smartmomma 6 years, 2 months ago

No description of a suspect? Are there no cameras @ kwik-shop/walgreens/US Bank ???

stuckinthemiddle 6 years, 2 months ago

~chuckle~ None2... you crack me up...and it's the truth in your comments that make it so damn funny...and hey... if you guys want your guns to keep you from becoming victims best wear them out in the open so that the bad guys will know not to mess with you...

LeonTrotsky 6 years, 2 months ago

So many comments and speculations on a 138 word "article". Just to let everyone know, the magic buckeye I keep in my pocket has kept me from being a victim of violent crime for more than thirty years now.

elevenbravo 6 years, 2 months ago

To: none2"Great news! We won that war!!! The redcoats were sent home; all foreign armies are GONE!"It wasn't about a war pal, it was about a nation."Oh yes, David Koresh was such a good Christian saint just trying to feed his wives, girlfriends, and children in advance of dooms day. It takes quite a stockpile of weapons to hunt game down in Waco. David Koresh the martyr"Now there is some paranoia for you, I don't have a M2 or incendiary devices do I get a pass from you yet? There is something to be said for severe mental disturbances. Is that what you compare ccw permit holders to? David Koresh?By the way Janet failed miserably. "Are you trying to say that people who carry a gun are compensating for something?" "Yes: a lack of common sense and lots of fear."A lack of common sense? To be interested in the security of your loved ones? You're right you convinced me."With a gun obsession I don't expect you would. Too bad there aren't some Gun Anon chapters here."I have an obsession with guns? Thanks for the diagnosis Doc. Hi my name is __ and I'm a gun nut. I haven't shot in two years

elevenbravo 6 years, 2 months ago

To the rest:For the record, I never said a ccw permit holder would stop this or any other crime. It happens from time to time but is never sure bet. My complaint is the bigotry that is displayed. I don't care how you live your lives, why do you care how a certain other individuals live theirs? Are you scared that I carry a gun? Do you think I'm going to harm you?It has been said there is no need to carry. In my opinion there is no need to own a rock tumbler, but I don't condemn people who do. I am not appalled by it, different strokes for different folks ya know? People do all kinds of weird stuff why are you so passionately against this? I have my reasons and my belief system and as much as some people want it to be it is not about fear. Someone got shot, when, why, who? We don't know, but think about this what if your grandmother was a victim, your sister, the elderly or physically disabled, act. What if they could have defended themselves or what if a third party could have helped and I don't mean by plugging their wounds. The strong or many have always dominated the weak and few. Why is it so horrible to even the playing field? People make choices about there safety everyday, from washing their hands to keeping a fire extinguisher handy, even what route to drive or walk home. A few even carry a gun, and then there are the few who damn them for doing so. Would you also damn someone for taking the long way around to avoid an unsafe area or situation?The state of Kansas calls this a privilege, in my mind it is a right. Call it what you want but attack it and I'll defend it. Just as I would myself or my family, if the circumstances are right maybe even your sister or grandmother. No delusions of grandeur here just one of the good guys. Sorry to offend with my grotesque choice.

rumor_man 6 years, 2 months ago

I just heard that the reason why this man was shot was because another customer at Kwik Shop was upset that the hot dogs weren't turning fast enough.

elevenbravo 6 years, 2 months ago

Do you have a spare tire in your car? Do you have a fire extinguisher in your house? Do you have medical insurance? Do run you car out of gas then get gas? Do you wash your hands? Do you clean up spills on your floor?Do you do jumping jacks in the shower?Do you leave your doors unlocked at night?According to stuckinthemiddle if you answed yes to these you are paranoid. My favorite, for the all the anti-gunners, if you are so against guns will you put a sign announcing there are no guns in you house? If not, why not?

elevenbravo 6 years, 2 months ago

Colt45,Sucks that they are in a Gun Free Victim Zone I liked their dark roast.

stuckinthemiddle 6 years, 2 months ago

do you wear a helmet when you drive your car?would you think that some one who did was a bit paranoid?your chances of needing a helmet in a car wreck to save your lift are far higher than you needing a gun to save your life from a bad guy...elevenbravo do you wear a helmet when you drive your car?and...I'm not anti-gun... I own guns and am glad that I can...but I don't fear being attacked by bad guys to the point that I feel the need to carry a gun with me...I've said it on other gun threads here and I'll say it again...if you think you need to carry a gun to stay safe then you should do that...most people don't feel that need...and... no doubt about it: if you really want your gun to be effective in keeping away bad guys you should wear it out in the open...and... just for the fun of it:Do you have a spare tire in your car? - NoDo you have a fire extinguisher in your house? - NoDo you have medical insurance? - YesDo run you car out of gas then get gas? - Sometimes Do you wash your hands? - Yes. This is the number one thing you can do to keep yourself safe!Do you clean up spills on your floor? - I don't get spills on my floor...Do you do jumping jacks in the shower? - If my shower was big enough I might...Do you leave your doors unlocked at night? - Yes, but I have a gun in the house...

elevenbravo 6 years, 2 months ago

orbiter,Good job, you got most of the point. Any of my questions would be stupid to answer yes to.Do you have any answers to the other questions? Are you as afraid as the rest of the people doing this crazy stuff?But of couse I'm a paranoid nut case so take it all with a grain of salt.

bearded_gnome 6 years, 2 months ago

rhernandez,you are correct. someone dies. we don't know anything about him, assumptions about his person/lifestyle abound. and we are drowning in a sea of anti-gun bigotry that smears law-abiding gun owners who have to pass the standards by law to get their gun. yet, they are treated as if: they have mental problems; sexual inadequacy; or are potential perps. the far left liberal bias of the latte lawrence loonies shines on this thread. and, they show how much they really care about individual life. this 38-year old man, oh yes, I guess he didn't die, forgive typo above. he has a family. if he had ccw and legally carried a gun, perhaps he could have defended himself. beo happily ignores the numerous reports of crimes interrupted by people carrying legally. because he is rumored to be a black man, automatically he is a drug dealer, gang banger, etc. nice, there's your far left liberal lawrence prejudice! but then, the liberals have the greatest prejudice against blacks, believing they will only succeed if they are given quotas for hiring/education. the liberals put in the "great society" social services' programs that pushed black men out of their homes/families. seriously, we know so little, and a man was shot. he||, was he shot by jake deckert? same neighborhood? just playing the spring the speculation game.

Kelly Anderson 6 years, 2 months ago

WOW!!! I just have to say again, THE BEST COMMENTS ON THIS BLOG WERE THE FUNNY ONES!!! I haven't laughed out loud that much in a long time.....and I am alone in my office.....HA!!!! Wish I would have kept reading yesterday instead of working!!!

rhernandez 6 years, 2 months ago

I am shocked about what all of you are saying. Dosen't anyone care that a person, flesh and blood human being just like you, was shot!