Archive for Friday, May 9, 2008

19-year-old accused of stabbing at shelter

May 9, 2008

Accused stabber appears in court

A Lawrence man accused of stabbing a man in the chest appeared in court on Thursday. Enlarge video

Adam Mallamo, 19, Lawrence, was charged with attempted second-degree murder and had his first court appearance Thursday. Mallamo is accused of stabbing a homeless man in the chest with a knife, while at the Lawrence Community Shelter, 214 W. 10th St. Police said the victim, who was staying at the shelter, is recovering at a Kansas City-area hospital.

Judge Peggy Kittel set Mallamo's bond at $500,000. He is to appear in court again at 2 p.m. Tuesday.

Assistant District Attorney Dave Melton asked for a $850,000 bond, saying Mallamo is a threat to the community and a flight risk because he has few ties to the Lawrence area.

When asked by Kittel if he had anything to say before she set his bond, Mallamo said, "I do apologize."

If he's convicted of the charge, he faces a maximum sentence of 247 months in prison and a maximum fine of $300,000.

Mallamo had been playing chess at the homeless shelter before the stabbing, LCS director Loring Henderson said, though the victim was not his opponent and the stabbing was not a result of the game.

Comments

Jan Brocker 6 years, 7 months ago

Why is this article buried in LJW's website? Yes, I know that the Old German Baptist Brethren Convention is much more important. Who cares about yet another crime at LCS? Nobody can give a rats ass the LJW must have thought.Sincerely,Jan

somedude20 6 years, 7 months ago

That kid looks like Harry Potter. When good wizards go bad!

geniusmannumber1 6 years, 7 months ago

"Why is this article buried in LJW's website?"I've got two guesses:1) Which articles show up where on the front page rotate at various times during the day.2) The fact that this story was given such prominent coverage for the past two days, coupled with the fact that this article began running yesterday afternoon, led the LJW to believe that pretty much everyone that cared knew about it by now.

Haiku_Cuckoo 6 years, 7 months ago

Makes sense that he looks like Harry Potter. His website says that he has a crush on Emma Watson; the chick from the Harry Potter movies. He was probably one step away from being a dangerous celebrity stalker.http://www.bebo.com/Profile.jsp?MemberId=5878917898

d_prowess 6 years, 7 months ago

I normally try to avoid the comedy with stories like this, but he REALLY does look like Harry Potter!!

turnage47 6 years, 7 months ago

THESE WORDS FROM MR. MALLAMO MAY SHED SOME LIGHT ON HIS MENTAL CONDITION:Hi my name is adam christopher mallamo I currently live in lawrence kansas and was born in aurora colorado in st joseph's hopital when I was born I was named christopher alan gottier and i was born into a not so good of a family they beat the tar out of me and by me saying they means rhonda baldridge and daryl gottier rhonda beat me in every physical way and daryl sexually molested me and did every thing in a nasty sort of sexual way of abuse I was going through that at the age of three until the age of 5 or 6 then I was put into foster care from five until the age of 7 but while that was going into play I also was going to and from "potential" adoptions and even visits with my so called family and while that was going on my sister was also seeing all of it too so from the age 6 to 7 I was looking for the right family that would love and support my good nature while taking away the ill nature I was taught and never quite understood what life was all about but in the end I am starting to do great things in this big sphere called earth and so I do not get off track I would like to say that I have had such a horrible start but I am ready to put life to it's limit and I would like to start by giving my new and not so insane family all my love and also an a++ for all the effort in the world and say thank you to all for being there for me and while they see this I would also like to say to all my so called enemies that I love them just as much as my other 4.5 billion neighbours I have to deal with the same love and respect that each individual person needs. so this is my last comment blessed be,and thanx a whole lot

izzybear 6 years, 7 months ago

thank you bytchywitchy well said. morever that is something most of us leave behind in grade school. you see i know adam and i would never have believed he would do this hes just a screwed up kid. make no mistake the guy he stabbed was a good friend of mine and he would never have thought adam would do it either and he did not deserve to have adam's knife buried in his chest. so for that adam does need to take his knocks. do the crime do the time.but peopleneed to grow up and relieze that putting people down ,makeing fun of them is going to stir up a whole lot of crap. you can only kick a dog so many times before it rises up and bites back.

londaree 6 years, 3 months ago

I am in tears to see and hear about this. This is my son. I am the mom he said "born into a not so good of a family they beat the tar out of me and by me saying they means rhonda baldridge and daryl gottier rhonda beat me in every physical way" This is not true. Oh Lord I am so up set to see this. I wish I could get in contact with him. If someone knows anything new about him could you please e-mail me?