Archive for Wednesday, May 7, 2008

Man stabbed at the Community Drop In Center in Lawrence

May 7, 2008

A 19-year-old man was transported to a Kansas City area hospital this afternoon following a stabbing at the Community Drop In Center, 214 W. 10th St.

Lawrence Police responded to the center at about 1:40 p.m. According to a police report, Lawrence-Douglas County Fire Medical transported the victim to Lawrence Memorial Hospital. He was later transported to Kansas City.

Police said investigators are questioning a 19-year-old Lawrence resident in connection with this incident.

No further information is available.

Comments

bigjdbigpapa48 6 years, 7 months ago

since you all think you know alot about the drop in, let me give you some info on this crime. the guy that got stab was the trouble maker, cause of his mouth, his inconseration for other clients there and ive told him about it, but he didnt listen , so like the saying goes god dont like ugly and hes not to fond of pretty, all the mouthing he have done to other people, it caught up to him. now for the suspect i know him also , if the victum wouldnt have teased him about how he looks than this would have never happened. so you all can get off the drop in its a good place for those who been forced to go homeless and those who dony want to better their self thats who you should put down, cause they are taking up space for people who really needs it.

Meatwad 6 years, 7 months ago

I feel sorry for anyone living in that neighborhood.

TheYetiSpeaks 6 years, 7 months ago

Yeah, lets all bash the guy using the computer (presumably at the drop-in) to read the news. Some of you people are unbelievable. So the guy could use a brush-up on grammar. Big deal.

blakus 6 years, 7 months ago

Don't take some of these people seriously bigjd (I won't call out names.) Some of the posters here thrive off of negative and sometimes thoughtless ranting. 'Serial posters' I call them and instead of actual doing something to better their community or solve problems they post on the LJWorld site in hopes of somehow feeling better about themselves. Does not seem like a majority of these posters have visited the Drop in Center or even gotten to know the homeless population, which is fine, but I do not feel inclined to listen to what they have to say. I know, as should others, that violence happens everywhere, everyday, regardless of a person's social standing. It isn't because someone is homeless that they commit a crime.

geekin_topekan 6 years, 7 months ago

While you're at it get ALL the info on the city at large and KU students.How many KU students have killed with a lethal projectile(a car) while intoxicated in the last year?Or maimed a woman's genitals in an episode of jealousy?

KEITHMILES05 6 years, 7 months ago

Is the Lawrence hospital incapable of treating ANYBODY? Everytime there is an accident or in this case a stabbing they always fly them to KC. Why not attempt to keep these patients in Lawrence?

Haiku_Cuckoo 6 years, 7 months ago

Here's the answer. http://www.stanthonysf.org/services/services-farm.htmlBuild it in rural Lawrence and give these people a chance to learn skills and get back on their feet: A drop in center that allows drinking provides no help whatsoever. Nor does it motivate people to help themselves.

Buggie7 6 years, 7 months ago

My thoughts exactly Marion WTF? I agree with Herman above on this one.

Jan Brocker 6 years, 7 months ago

bearded_gnome:The city refuses to declare the LCS a "nuisance house". I was told in no uncertaint terms that the city will never declare the LCS a "nuisance house", and if this issue was to be pushed, the city would just change the definition of a "nuisance house".Who has dirt on who I ask?

bearded_gnome 6 years, 7 months ago

Oh yes, and in the written version of this newspaper, this article is on page 4, bottom left. I agree, it's VERY hard to find. It does NOT mention the LCSin the title of the article. You guys in cahoots?A stabbing is just not as important as a $6K bill that KU refuses to pay.--janway to go jan! the reason the ljworld award-winning editors burried this stabbing story is because there's always something cooking at the "open shelter!" by definition, that's what you're gonna get at the "open shelter." ***only stabbing, guess we should be glad he wasn't:having public sex;starting an arson fire;exposing himself;selling drugs;or raping a woman. yes, as a poster above said, many of these people at the shelter are there because of trouble they've gotten into: trouble from their own bad choices, illegal or self-destructive. do we want to grease the skids on these lives, make them comfortable in their self-destruction?build a workfarm outside of town, "you don't work, you don't eat." would stop the out-of-towners from coming here for lawrence handouts. would teach them hardwork and skills. if the shelter were a regular business or a home, it would have been declared a nusance long ago. crime is most definitely concentrated in this population.

TopJayhawk 6 years, 7 months ago

Or send them to Topeka.. I already told you. We get the homeless and the lazy from all over the country because it is a big rumor in the homeless grapevine that Kansas has the best benefits for them.. I know of which I speak. And Lawrence does send them away, to Topeka...

Jan Brocker 6 years, 7 months ago

Dear citizens of Lawrence:All right, I admit it.I have NOT been to the LCS! I confess! I have done a lot of outreach work here and overseas so don't say that I should volunteer. I have worked with homeless people extensively, but I have always refused to work with people that do not want to help themselves.But you know what? I don't NEED to go to the LCS to see how dangerous and unorganized this place is. Cops in front of the door on a daily basis should tell anyone enough. Verbal assault on people walking by (minding their own business), insulting comments yelled at women, and trust me, I can go on.The LCS has not lived up to the rules and regulations of the city. They are not complying with a single ordinance. The LCS DOES get City funding people. I don't agree that it should go to the "T" but it needs to be stopped. I am not paying my hard earned tax dollars for this kind of an operation.Oh yes, and in the written version of this newspaper, this article is on page 4, bottom left. I agree, it's VERY hard to find. It does NOT mention the LCS in the title of the article. You guys in cahoots?A stabbing is just not as important as a $6K bill that KU refuses to pay. I thought it was a NEWS paper.Sincerely,Jan

Gina Bailey-Carbaugh 6 years, 7 months ago

Herman, wow. Get some bran in you diet, you're full of it. Perhaps you ought to learn about your subject before spouting off. While there are some people who are homeless by choice of life-style. Some do want to make their lives better. LCS is not city-sponsored - it runs off of donations and grants. So, there goes your idea to close it and give the money to the T. Thanks to Loring, there are educational programs, incentives to better themselves and, yes, success stories. Maybe you should volunteer there a few days and really learn about that part of our culture.

bigjdbigpapa48 6 years, 7 months ago

if your on family kicks you out that should tell you alot, but a lot of you should clean off your on door step before you speak about someone else, i do believe you all have a secret, that you wont tell anyone. and no its not a lot of them carrying weapons. you know if any of you seen me you all wouldnt believe i was homeless, i dont nor do i do drugs, but you can believe what you want, i do know the real deal, im just glad i`m not in denial like the rest of you are.

TopJayhawk 6 years, 7 months ago

Anything Bert Nash can't handle, and that usually means if it takes more than A) a Kind word, or B) a pill, or C) a pat on the head, they come to Topeka. Then instead of thanking us. you would prefer to ridicule and blame us for all of your violent problems.. When in reality, we take a lot of your violent potential away!!

somebodynew 6 years, 7 months ago

izzy - you must be one of the "clients" using free computer service. While I do agree that not everyone at the Drop Inn is a trouble-maker that place is overrun with people that do cause trouble - hence the LARGE number of police calls there on a regular basis. And it seems the "Director" does NOTHING to try to stop it. Oh- he bans people, but only for a short time (week or so) then they come back and there are more calls. Hey LJW, how about a real "investigative" report under Freedom Of Information as to just how many call LPD responds to related to the Shelter. Just make sure you ask the questions correctly so you get ALL the info.

OldEnuf2BYurDad 6 years, 7 months ago

"god dont like ugly and hes not to fond of pretty"What the hell? No... I'd have to say that I'm NOT familiar with that saying.

Haiku_Cuckoo 6 years, 7 months ago

And they want to relocate this shelter to a neighborhood full of children? Wow. Just...wow!

herman 6 years, 7 months ago

Most of the people there are there to better their lives? Whatever!Most people are there for a free meal, an opportunity to score drugs, an oportunity to be drunked up and still have a roof and an opportunity to intimidate whoever they can. The LCS is nothing but a city-sponsored drug dealing place and a place to do whatever they want to do and threaten staff, although the staff will never admit to this, Close the place down and we can give the money to the "T". Although they have no clue to run a business either, at least we would be helping some needy people out.Transients? Again, whatever! I wish they were true transients; they would move on again!

izzybear 6 years, 7 months ago

Not everyone who is at LCS is a trouble maker. i can bet that this is the first bit of violence at the drop in in quite some time. most of the people there are just trying to get thier lives back on track. Loring Henderson is the best thing to happen to LCS . He has made the shelter safe not only for the women who have to be there but as well as some of the people who are waiting for there houseing.

geekin_topekan 6 years, 7 months ago

Informed,your post reveals that you are a part of the problem.Thanks for nurturing the homeless problem here in toontown,