Archive for Friday, May 2, 2008

Share your earthquake story

May 2, 2008

We want to hear your story about when you felt the earth move. Was it a few weeks ago during the Illinois shake? Or was it while on a trip to California? Either way, post your story below in the comment section.

Comments

DoloresPalmer 6 years, 8 months ago

It was in the 60s. We lived at 2137 Tennessee. My three small children were in bed and my husband was not at home. I was in the dining room sewing, when the drop leaf of the dining room table started to rattle. There was no wind, and I couldn't understand what happened. Then it rattled again. I had no clue until I read in the Journal-World the next day, that there was a quake from the Humbolt fault.

fu7il3 6 years, 8 months ago

Never been to anywhere that had real earthquakes. Lived through a couple in the midwest that supposedly happened. I didn't feel anything, didn't notice anything.The first I heard about the earthquake that I supposedly felt was here. I probably thought the garbage truck went by or something.

acg 6 years, 8 months ago

Cait I lived in Washington State at the same time! St. Helens erupted on my birthday of 1980 and I can remember all of it like it was yesterday, even though I was only 7. I can remember the temblors for days before it actually blew and then I can remember the day it blew perfectly and the three days afterwards where everything looked like it had been sprayed with grayish, whitish foam. It was so nasty, the ash was everywhere. What a time huh?

geekin_topekan 6 years, 8 months ago

I was sitting in my car reading "Texas" by James Michener on my lunch hour in El Cajon,Ca.This was in '88.I felt my car shake and shimmy,like it does if there were a stiff breeze and I was sitting in my car here in Kansas.Which is exactly what I thought was going on.But I looked around and realized there was no breeze at all,"Very curios" I thought to myself and didnt give it another thought.

LeonTrotsky 6 years, 8 months ago

It was 5:12 AM - April 18, 1906. I had just finished my third bottle of tequila of the morning, hanging out with some "society ladies" on Sacramento Street, and...oh wait, that wasn't me. Never mind.

Dorothy Hoyt-Reed 6 years, 8 months ago

I was a KU student studying in Costa Rica. Several other girls and I had rented a little cabin near Manuel Antonio National Park. It was 1 big room with several beds and a kitchenette. One evening I went back to the cabin early, while the others stayed out to party. I woke up thinking that someone was shaking the bed, but no one was back yet. The next day on the way to the beach the cabbie asked if we had felt the "tremblor". I also felt a small one the day before I was to return to the US. That was enough. I slept through the one the other night.

Cait McKnelly 6 years, 8 months ago

I lived in the Pacific Northwest in Portland, OR in the late 70's-very early 80's. On the runup to the great blowup of Mt. St.Helens in May of '80 there were a number of temblors that went through the city. We sat on our couch in the living room and watched the chandelier sway. It was pretty freaky. I was actually in Kansas City at my parents when the mountain blew up but my husband was still there. I have pictures of him a friend took of him standing on the corner of Ash St wearing a surgical mask because of the ash.

bearded_gnome 6 years, 8 months ago

I grew up in the most geologically active county in california. so, for me, its: "wake me when things are actually breaking, or buildings and roads are damaged!" I remember several quakes. as a teen, one day was lying across my bed, second story of wooden house. the bed suddenly moved and then snapped back...thought "oh, yeah, that was an earthquake." once I was living in the bottom story of a small apartment building, I was awakened by very loud noise, I thought "so that is what it sounds like when the upper floor falls on me when there's an earthquake." it actually was a very very thunderstorm, in the middle of the night and not a quake. should read "very very rare."

Chuck Wehner 6 years, 8 months ago

The only earthquake that I remember occurred sometime in the 60's in North Kansas City, MO. I was in a office on the second floor of the old Katz Drug store in downtown NKC.The whole office began to wave back and forth as if we were on a ship at sea. My boss was trying to get everyone out of the building, but I was more interested in just looking out the window and seeing the parking lot light poles sway back and forth as if they were in a large wind storm.

bearded_gnome 6 years, 8 months ago

temblor***1906 sf earthquake, interesting little story about the parisian bakery's baker running out to save the valuable sourdough culture. I kinda grew up on that bread, in the '70s, trucked down to the monterey bay. yummmmm. culture was well worth saving.

Frederic Gutknecht IV 6 years, 8 months ago

My family had just moved to Kansas. I believe it was 1968. The earth shook. Big deal.

minnie 6 years, 8 months ago

I lived in Fresno CA from 75-83 and enjoyed 3 quakes. The worst was in '83 and helped convince me to move back home! That one leveled a tiny town made up primarily of brick buildings. It is strange to be sitting on a floor and feel the floor "roll" underneath you OR standing in a doorway and watching the parking lot asphalt rolling toward you.I didn't like not knowing when it would hit; at least with tornadoes, we have some clue. I'll take a tornado over a quake anyday.

RedwoodCoast 6 years, 8 months ago

I lived in northern California for a year and half and slept through the only ones I would have felt.In February 1988, I was at home sick in SE KS with chicken pox. As I was watching TV one day, the windows began to rattle as if there was very large vehicle coming down the street. I got up to see what it was, but there was no vehicle. The rumble and shaking got a little worse, and our two cats started acting like something was up. Then it was gone. I told my parents about it when they got home. I guess my dad was doing some work at the county fairgrounds when he heard a rumble come from the southeast and move northwest. The buildings out there began to rattle, and then it was gone. I'm not sure what fault caused this one, as it was travelling the wrong direction for it to be from the Humboldt fault.

Aileen Dingus 6 years, 8 months ago

I felt the 1989 SF quake in Reno, NV. I was in the marching band at the University there (go Pack!) and we were executing a "flip turn" in the backfield during rehearsal. Half the band fell over at the turn, the other half staggered out of formation. We all thought we'd lost it, but when we got back down to the band room, several people ran out and asked us if we'd felt the quake too. After discussing when it happened, we realized it was during the turn.Then, in the early 90's I lived in Long Beach, CA with my husband and young son. One evening our cat started running around the apartment, going so fast she was actually banking against the walls. Before I could comment on it, the couch moved like a roller coaster car, one end up, then the other, then down. It took FOREVER. I thought I was going to throw up.I've felt others during the years, having lived near fault lines quite a bit. Nothing lately though. knock on wood