Archive for Thursday, May 1, 2008

Douglas County is under a tornado watch

May 1, 2008, 5:50 p.m. Updated May 1, 2008, 8:21 p.m.

Nickel-size hail hits parts of Lawrence

About 5:45 Thursday evening, parts of Lawrence were hit by nickel-sized hail. Another storm was slated to move through the area later in the evening. Enlarge video

The severe thunderstorm warning issued by the National Weather Service has been extended to 8:30 p.m. The tornado watch remains in effect until 1 a.m. as of 9:30 Thursday night.

At 7:40 p.m. doppler radio indicated the storm would be able to produce quarter-size hail and damaging winds in excess of 60 mph.

The storm was located near Lone Star and is moving northeast toward Lawrence.

--- Earlier story ---

Douglas County is under a tornado watch until 1 a.m. Friday. A watch means conditions are favorable for a tornado to occur in the area.

In addition to a tornado watch, the National Weather Service issued a severe thunderstorm warning for the county that isn't expected to expire until 6:15 p.m.

The severe thunderstorm warning may affect the Kansas Turnpike between mile markers 202 and 206, Lawrence, Lone Star, Baldwin City, Pleasant Grove, Vinland and Eudora.

Large hail, heavy rain and damaging winds are likely with the storm, according to the National Weather Service.

Comments

mr_economy 10 years ago

That was some unexpected hail. Fortunately, my car seems to be ok.

chemegirlie 10 years ago

I didn't even have any rain here by the west turnpike entrance.

Ragingbear 10 years ago

I heard there was golfball size hail near 23rd and Iowa.

Curtis Lange 10 years ago

Just had nickel to ping pong ball size hail near 12th and Ohio. Tonight should be fun! :)

mr_economy 10 years ago

9th & Illinois here, I would also describe as nickel to ping pong.

TheStig 10 years ago

Lawrence and 6th no rain no hail but very still, a little too still...

sharper 10 years ago

We had just a couple of drops of rain over by the Hyvee on Clinton Parkway. And now it's gone incredibly still. I hate tornado season.

chapdaddy 10 years ago

nothing happening @ 27th and Crossgate. a few drops earlier, but that's it.

riverdrifter 10 years ago

Hail the size of canned hams (yes, borrowed from Letterman) here in BC. Just kidding. Some clearing from the west. Got a little rain. Grill is fired. Venison chops & garlicked asparagus. No morels. . .

hawklet21 10 years ago

9th and Michigan... We haven't had anything here. I see lightning and creepy clouds, and hear thunder, but nothing more than that. I'm bored, but grateful!

Piggles 10 years ago

I live near 27th and Iowa area and I had pea size to marble size hail to some just a bit bigger than marble size. I kept flinching when it was coming down and hitting my car. When sun came out, there was a double rainbow- didn't last long but pretty. As usual I was out taking pictures of the clouds and hail and all.

mom_of_three 10 years ago

In Prairie Park, we had hail as large as golf balls, but most was large marble hail. Have some pictures of it hitting the barbecue grill. Missed the rainbow, due to the rain. Yes, I was afraid to melt

May Soo 10 years ago

When the hails hit here, all the chickens and geese were running for covers, it was wild. Oh, the ducks too.

Steve Jacob 10 years ago

Was at Wayne and Larry's no rain or hail, but has a nice view.

chemegirlie 10 years ago

2nd and McDonald Dr just some rain, thunder and lightening, but nothing too crazy...yet

riverdrifter 10 years ago

Temp & dewpoint have crashed in BC. Looks like all is quiet on the southern front. Skew T & Log P, everybody...

simpleton 10 years ago

Kidney stone-sized hail in Tonganoxie.

bearded_gnome 10 years ago

"beachball sized hail in east lawrence" lol...I always knew everything is bigger in east lawrence!*the first one, described in article above, caught gnomedog and I out on the levee! yes maybe quarter or larger sized hail...damn that stuff hurts too! we're all right now. gnomedog was very happy to get woweled off.

Chris Bohling 10 years ago

Got caught in half-dollar sized hail just outside of Allen Fieldhouse. It would have been bad if I'd been out in the open, but I was able to duck inside before getting conked on the head.