Archive for Monday, March 31, 2008

Crews finish Downtown Lawrence cleanup following basketball bash

March 31, 2008, 10:01 a.m. Updated March 31, 2008, 11:31 a.m.

It looked like a frat house exploded.

That's one way to describe the mess of beer cups, beer cans, beer bottles and anything else beer related you can think of on Massachusetts Street following Kansas University's basketball victory Sunday evening that sent the team to the Final Four.

Curt Talken, a parks and recreation employee who was finishing clean-up efforts this morning, had an even simpler description.

"It looked like a real good party," Talken said.

By 9:30 a.m. today, though, it just looked like Massachusetts Streets again. A crew of about 15 employees from the city's parks and recreation and the public works departments started cleaning about 7:30 a.m.

Crews - who fought strong morning winds - filled up an entire trash truck with debris, and employed the use of a street sweeper to get the area tidied up. Talken said most of the debris was contained to the 1000 block of Massachusetts Street. Parks and Recreation leaders said the only lasting damage appeared to be that vegetation was trampled in most planters around the 10th and Massachusetts intersection.

Ernie Shaw, acting director for parks and recreation, said that means many of the flower bulbs likely won't bloom this year. But he said there are other spring flowers that can be planted to help replace the lost color.

"But we definitely won't be doing that until after next weekend," Shaw said, alluding to possibly an even larger celebration if the Jayhawks have success in the Final Four.

Shaw said he also was pleased that it appeared revelers did a good job of staying out of trees, which in past celebrations have been damaged. He said his only concern was the amount of glass, including glass pitchers from nearby bars, that were found on the streets.

"The plastic cups and stuff we can deal with, but the glass is really the worst to clean up," Shaw said.

Comments

Bookie 7 years, 1 month ago

I remember the year the revelers tipped an ambulance and were swan diving out of the trees!

compmd 7 years, 1 month ago

I was out wandering around from about 1:30-2:30am and Mass Street was dead.

Evan Ridenour 7 years, 1 month ago

You would think KU had never reached the Final Four before... it was a little pathetic.

Adrienne Sanders 7 years, 1 month ago

Oh how people love a good excuse to throw trash everywhere.

I was down there in 2003, and it was nowhere near that nuts.

geniusmannumber1 7 years, 1 month ago

Or, Eride, it could be that the fans were following a long standing tradition of closing off Mass Street when KU reaches the Final Four. I am sorry whatever team you support did not do as well this year. There's always someone who, when they see everybody else having fun, feel like they're not invited to the party. Well, let me personally invite you to next Saturday's celebration. Then you don't have to be so sad.

july241983 7 years, 1 month ago

These students have not seen a final four on their watch. A final four is always worthy of a good party. And, I'm sure they were just warming up for what happens if we beat carolina.

GOW 7 years, 1 month ago

I don't mind paying for that kind of clean-up. I'm more concerned about the trucks ruining Michigan St. That will cost a lot to repair and they aren't even suppose to use it. Do the police ever pull them over? It doesn't seem like it.

acg 7 years, 1 month ago

I bet it was a good party and I'm thoroughly bummed that I missed it. Now, it's all cleaned up, for those of you that were whining about it this morning and you can move your righteous indignation and your dislike of everything fun on to something else. I bet there are some girl scouts somewhere you can spit on or something.

Evan Ridenour 7 years, 1 month ago

I never said I was against celebrating, I said it was pathetic that people were celebrating like that from winning the regional.A whole bunch of posers rushed downtown and acted like idiots for no real reason.Come Saturday if KU beats UNC, sure that would be a reason to celebrate. But beating a 10 seed (barely) in an elite eight game isn't something a team with the history of KU needs to celebrate. I doubt UCLA and UNC fans were acting like that.geniusmannumber1, you obviously fit into my poser category and I am guessing to be a child from the content in your post. KU fans don't have a tradition of celebrating something ho-hum like winning a regional, they celebrate when they win the semi-final or title.

jonas 7 years, 1 month ago

Eride (Anonymous) says: "I was downtown watching the game and I was surprised by how many people rushed downtown following the end.You would think KU had never reached the Final Four before: it was a little pathetic."Man, what a grouch. They were celebrating because they were. . . . gasp. . . . happy. And it had nothing on the chaos when KU beat whoever it was (Marquette?) to get to the championship. If we win, go downtown and compare the two scenes and see if there's a discernable difference. And lighten up. Jeez!

Jim Phillips 7 years, 1 month ago

Oh, OK! I understand. Winning a National Championship makes it OK to trash downtown, tear up other people's property (see 1988), and do whatever you want to do, all in the name of fun. Got it!Party and celebrate if you like, just don't be stupid about it.

geniusmannumber1 7 years, 1 month ago

Gee whiz, Eride, you sure have an awful lot of opinions about an anonymous avatar. That's fine. You can't come downtown next weekend. Offer revoked.Also, I'm guessing from the content of your post that you haven't lived in this town for more than two or three years, if you don't recall celebrations on Massachusetts upon reaching the Final Four. In fact, I don't believe you've ever been to Lawrence. You certainly weren't here in 2003:http://www2.ljworld.com/news/2003/mar/30/final_four/You certainly weren't here in 2002:http://www2.ljworld.com/news/2002/mar/25/final_four_in/You weren't here in 1993 or 1991, I'm betting, although I can't find the relevant archives. We did celebrate then, too. Did you know we also have parades every time we make the Final Four, win or lose?So again, you can sit back in Colombia, or Durham, or wherever you're from, and criticize how other people celebrate, or you can call complete strangers names that haven't been insulting since about 1987 (poser? seriously?), and we'll just, you know, have fun.

acg 7 years, 1 month ago

Well now Guardian, why don't you stand out in front of your house, in your robe with your hose, squirting the revelers and yelling "you damned kids get off my lawn" cause that basically sounds like more your speed.

Jim Phillips 7 years, 1 month ago

acg,I intend to. And for your sake, I hope you are not one of the many property owners who will be affected by the lunacy that will transpire in this town next week-end; win or lose.

Jim Phillips 7 years, 1 month ago

riverdrifter,I have no problem with that.

packs_of_wild_dogzz 7 years, 1 month ago

Eride (Anonymous) says:"You would think KU had never reached the Final Four before: it was a little pathetic."*********Oh aren't you so serious and all growns up. If you can't celebrate reaching the Final Four what can you celebrate? Not much of a sports fan are you. WOOF!

packs_of_wild_dogzz 7 years, 1 month ago

Guardian is either 1 step from the grave and pissed off about it, or Eride's evil twin. Down with all sports haters!!!!

Meatwad 7 years, 1 month ago

I don't remember if there was the Mass Street craziness for the KU wins leading up to the Final Four in 1988. I remember the night we won the final, of course. Does anyone remember though, the games before the final? Did we go to Mass Street and lose our minds after the wins prior to the final championship?

aginglady 7 years, 1 month ago

offtotheright (Anonymous) says: Since when is drinking alcohol in the streets of Lawrence ok?My guess, when Kansas became a state, when world wars are over, KU wins either the Orange Bowl, or maybe just because they got into the final four, with the "New kid coaching!".

aginglady 7 years, 1 month ago

We also have to remember that any group of people celebrate with greater enthusiasm, during or after periods of hardship and worry. With the political climate, and the economy taking a dive, I expect the celebrations to be bigger and better.Bands on downtown rooftops! Pidgeons painted red and blue released into the fieldhouse! Red and blue lights in all the dorms! Red porch lights throughout town...oh, wait..they already do that.