Archive for Thursday, March 27, 2008

Pardon lets man hunt again

March 27, 2008

— A Morris County farmer will be able to hunt again after President Bush pardoned him on Tuesday, clearing a felony from his record that prevented him from being able to hunt for the past 10 years.

Kenneth Charles Britt, 57, of White City, said he had been working on getting a pardon for the past two or three years. His wife took a phone call at the couple's home Tuesday morning from the government saying the president had granted the pardon.

"A woman said, 'Your husband has been pardoned by President Bush and you'll be getting a letter in a few weeks,'" Patty Britt said. "I wasn't expecting the call. It was from out of the blue."

Kenneth Britt, on the advice of his attorney, pleaded guilty to one felony charge related to a deer-hunting incident that involved several other people, including his brother, Ronald Britt.

Kenneth Britt was sentenced in 1998 to three years of probation for conspiracy to violate federal and state fish and wildlife laws, and was ordered to pay $8,250 in restitution.

Ronald Britt, who was 64 when he died of cancer in April 2007, also was convicted in the case.

"He was hoping for his pardon, too, but he didn't get it," Britt said. "We filed for the pardon at the same time."

Britt called the pardon - one of 15 Bush granted this year - "good news," adding that it removed what had been "a big headache for the past 10 years."

He said he had been hoping to get the pardon before the November elections, and noted that he always thought the sentence was too severe.

"I think it was pretty unfair," he said. "They sort of said they wanted to make an example of somebody. They chose us."

Several of Britt's previous employers sent letters urging Bush to grant a pardon and clear his name of a felony that has prevented him from owning a gun.

"I live on a farm out here in the middle of Kansas and I like to hunt," Britt said. "I haven't been able to hunt for about 10 years. I'd like to do it again."

Comments

pace 6 years, 9 months ago

Maybe Chaney stood up for him, saying " gun incidents aren't really any big thing."

neither man certainly shows no remorse.

Danielle Brunin 6 years, 9 months ago

According to some folks I know at KDWP, this guy was a notorious poacher. His family bought deer tags under their names and gave them to other hunters, in addition to trespassing and poaching deer on other people's property. I hope he isn't issued a hunting license again, pardon or not.

cato_the_elder 6 years, 9 months ago

This man appears to have been much more deserving of a pardon than most of those pardoned by President Clinton immediately before he left office. What happened then was scandalous, and is certain to be brought up numerous times if Senator Clinton gets the nomination.

Baille 6 years, 9 months ago

Rumor has it he was involved in a conspiracy to sell fake deer tags:

Posted by: Johnson Location: White City on Mar 26, 2008 at 09:00 PM

I know that was an immature response, I just don't like the fact that yes it was 10 years ago, but it still burns me to know how the Clarks Creek Outfitters was operating and how the deer tags were being bought with names of others in the family, and then distributed to the other hunters in the business. I myself am a deer hunter and I always would like to get that Trophy Buck, but I don't go and break the law to get it either. That is what they should have done back then instead of trying to make a little money and eventually got caught. These are just opinions there is no need to get all bent out of shape.

acoupstick 6 years, 9 months ago

"Rules (and laws) don't apply to everyone. If you get in trouble or encounter a law you don't like, do the following:

1. Lie. Insist that you are innocent at all times and express moral outrage that anyone might think otherwise.

2. Lie. Insist that you are truthful at all times and express moral outrage that anyone might think otherwise.

3. Whine and complain. The squeaky wheel gets the grease.

4. Pass the buck. Place blame elsewhere and express moral outrage that anyone might think you are to blame.

Following rules is for chumps, just ask anyone in the public eye: politicians, entertainers, college and professional athletes, and little girls who win spelling bees."

Oh, and Morris county farmer. Thank goodness the pres does not have more pressing concerns!