Archive for Thursday, March 27, 2008

1 accident victim flown to KU Hospital

March 27, 2008

Area resident talks about problem intersection

Area resident Jack Lemke shares his concerns about the intersection of Bob Billings Parkway and George Williams Way. Enlarge video

Accident at dangerous intersection injures 3

Three people were hospitalized after a two-vehicle accident Wednesday night in west Lawrence. Enlarge video

3 injured in accident on George William Way

An accident at what some call a dangerous west Lawrence intersection sends three people to area hospitals. Enlarge video

Lawrence-Douglas County Fire & Medical responders work the scene of an accident Wednesday at the corner of Bob Billings Parkway and George Williams Way.

Aaron Phlipot, 28, was flown by air ambulance to Kansas University Hospital in Kansas City, Kan.

The incident occurred just after 6 p.m. at Bob Billings Parkway and George Williams Way.

Lawrence police Sgt. David Hubbel said a car was traveling east on Bob Billings Parkway and a white truck was traveling south on George Williams Way.

The man who was flown to KU Hospital was a passenger in the truck, which was driven by Wayne Heath, 31, Eudora. Hubbel said Heath told police officers at the scene that he didn't stop at the stop sign on George Williams Way. Hubbel said the truck hit the front end of the car, which was driven by Michelle Dick, 24. The force of the collision caused the car to travel 20 to 30 yards south of the intersection, Hubbel said.

Dick was treated and released at the scene, Hubbel said. Her brother, Andy Dick, 19, Lawrence, was taken to Lawrence Memorial Hospital.

Police said they did not have a hometown for Michelle Dick.

Heath was taken to Lawrence Memorial Hospital. Both men were treated and released by 10:30 p.m., according to a hospital official.

Hubbel said the accident remains under investigation.

Rena Reynolds, who lives in Ironwood Court, an apartment complex at 1501 George Williams Way, called 911 after she heard the accident.

"It was the loudest noise I've ever heard," she said of the collision.

She then ran outside.

"Before I looked out the window (which faces Bob Billings Parkway), I called 911," she said.

The severely damaged white crew cab truck was on its side. A medium-sized black and brown dog crawled out of the truck, she said. Reynolds called Animal Control to seek help for the animal. The dog didn't have any obvious injuries.

Both Reynolds and another nearby resident, Jack Lemke, said George Williams Way and Bob Billings Parkway, near Corpus Christi Catholic Church, is a dangerous intersection because drivers often don't stop completely at the stop signs on George Williams Way.

Lemke said he was almost hit earlier Wednesday.

"It's one of those things that - those of us who live around here notice this - as you're coming up to this intersection, the stop signs are more of a pause and go," Lemke said. "And more than once, because the one end of this street is dead end, a lot of drivers tend not to look, and they just pause at the sign and they'll start shooting across."

Several injury accidents have occurred in this area on Bob Billings Parkway. Hubbel recalled a motorcycle accident in September 2006, in which a 22-year-old Topeka man was flown to KU Hospital after losing control and crashing.

In October 2004, teenagers were injured in a racing accident in the 6000 block of Bob Billings Parkway.

In 2001 and 2002, young people died while speeding near the same stretch of road. Both lost control and crashed on the south side of the road near Bobwhite Drive, a street just east George Williams Way.

Comments

Bladerunner 7 years ago

As long as there are idiots driving....All intersections will remain "Dangerous".

JayhawkAlum03 7 years ago

I hope that everyone comes out okay from this. The pictures look pretty bad.

It's sad to see that the cause of all of these "accidents" is pretty much the same. It doesn't seem to be any faulty design, blind angles, etc. Rather, it's "a dangerous intersection because drivers often don't stop completely at the stop signs on George Williams Way," or kids are racing or people are speeding. Sometimes I wonder what it's going to take for people to slow down, abide by the law, and realize that it doesn't always happen to somebody else.

I'm not necessarily commenting on just this instance...just in general. You never really know what the other guy is going to do and that's scary.

countrygirl 7 years ago

Does anyone know anything about the wreck that happened in Perry yesterday morning? My husband saw the aftermath and it looked pretty bad. Hope everyone involved was OK.

Robert Rauktis 7 years ago

In the college town of Lawrence, prudence dictates NEVER assuming the other drivers will stop at a stop sign. They are likely solving a world problem on a cell phone.

storm 7 years ago

Stops signs are optional...sometimes people slow down, sometimes they don't, sometimes they actually stop. Roundabouts are a good solution for most intersections because people have to slow down so there are less serious injuries, less fatalities and less crashes.

andy123 7 years ago

Hello, I am Andrew Dick, the kid that was hurt in this crash ( the one in the stratus) I was watching the truck come off the side and yelled at my sister, but it was too late and i received just a concusion and a broken nose and an hour spell of amnesia, my sister received minor injurys maybe whiplash, but no serious injuries to me and mine but i hope nothing serious happened to the other guys. Who ever put stop signs are optional is and idiot, that is the most assinine thing i have ever heard.

andy123 7 years ago

To country girl, this is my side of the story. my sister and i were going to the gym, and not but 10 or so second out of Legends Trail Dr. a whit truck comes out in the middle of the road without stopping and blind side my sisters car making me hit my head on the glass and go unconcious for around 2 1/2 hours causing a minor concusion and it is all a blank from there, i was out cold.

andy123 7 years ago

No my sister was not on a cell phone but i am not sure for the others, i just assume they were used to so little cars going east on 15th that they didnt stop.

countrygirl 7 years ago

Thanks, but I was asking if anyone knew anything about the wreck that happened on 24 in Perry yesterday morning around 7am. It sounded like the intersection of 24 and Ferguson Road was a mess for a while.

andy123 7 years ago

Thanks notwhatyouthink but ya i did know that, but some knowledge for ya, when a car hits you from the side one is still able to sway from side to side, and given i am 6' 1" in a dodge stratus there isnt that much distance from my head and the glass, so you can put the two and two together. Next time ill be sure to install racing belts in my sisters car to prevent any swaying.

andy123 7 years ago

and thanks original bob, but it wont let me take it off lol

Bone777 7 years ago

Andy. Have you had to put up with loads of sh*t for sharing your name with that Hollywood dork?

andy123 7 years ago

oh yes i have lol, but thank jeeze there is no relation or resemblance

leg4cy 7 years ago

Has there been any news on the status of the passenger in the truck? I was one of the first on the scene (before emergency personnel) and I'm amazed that the driver wasn't at least as bad off as the passenger.

Dixie Jones 7 years ago

im so glad andy showed up here , so many ppl assume everything .. glad to know you and your sister are doing ok andy...

rlmtyco 7 years ago

Leg4cy, from what I have heard, he has a fractured skull and some brain swelling, he was talking and stuff last nite. I havent heard an update on him as of yet today.

gphawk89 7 years ago

"is a dangerous intersection because drivers often don't stop completely at the stop signs"

Intersections aren't dangerous. Inattentive drivers are dangerous. Don't know how many times I've said that. Don't use this as an excuse to put up a traffic signal there. Just like a stop sign, a signal will only make things safe if drivers pay attention and come to a stop when they are supposed to.

Speaking of that, I saw a great wreck yesterday caused by inattention (cell phone). A bus came to a stop in the right lane at a bus stop. Guy behind the bus, yakking on the cell phone, stops momentarily, then suddenly pulls into the left lane (without looking behind him) to get around the bus. Another car coming up fast in the left lane pastes the inattentive guy's car right in the driver's door and pushes him right into the side of the bus. Had I been prepared it would have made a great Youtube clip...

FormerCentralKansan 7 years ago

I haven't seen Aaron for years so I hope he makes it through this OK. The accident pics look terrible...blame is going to be thrown back and forth but I'm glad all involved survived.

estespark 7 years ago

"...Had I been prepared it would have made a great Youtube clip:"

Boy, I wish you would have caught that on video. You sound like a model citizen.

smartmomma 7 years ago

My thoughts and prayers are with Phlipot . He is a strong guy, he will pull through this. Keep Smiling!

BigPrune 7 years ago

When Andy Dick (the Hollywood dork) was in high school, he ran for Homecoming King and won. His winning campaign slogan was, "Don't vote for a jock, vote for A. Dick." The school was furious, but they couldn't do anything about it.