Archive for Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Judge orders sex offender to post signs

March 25, 2008

— A Kansas judge has ordered a man who has admitted molesting a boy to post signs around his house and a decal on his car proclaiming that he is a sex offender.

Leroy Schad, 72, pleaded guilty in March 2007 of aggravated indecent solicitation of a child.

Hand-painted wooden signs reading "A Sex Offender Lives Here" are posted on all four sides of the his white house in this small central Kansas town of about 150 people. On his vehicle is a large decal with bold yellow lettering reading "Sex Offender In This Car."

The signs went up a few months ago.

"It's been pure hell," Schad said.

The loneliness and isolation imposed by the house arrest are the toughest to deal with, he said, adding that the signs on his car have sparked threatening gestures from other drivers that sometimes concern him.

Schad was originally charged with four counts of taking indecent liberties with a 9-year-old girl and an 11-year-old boy in 2005. As part of a plea agreement, the charges were dismissed and he pleaded guilty to the lesser count of solicitation.

Schad admitted that he molested the boy but denied the other dismissed allegations. He said he took the plea deal to spare the children the ordeal of testifying and to "get this over with."

With no prior convictions, Kansas sentencing guidelines for the offense range from probation to about three years in prison. Schad's underlying sentence, if he violates probation, is 3 1/2 years.

Defense attorney Joel Jackson said the signs were the judge's idea but declined to comment further.

Schad cannot appeal his conviction because he pleaded guilty, but he has appealed his sentence to the Kansas Court of Appeals. A ruling is pending.

"I know that was wrong," Schad said. "I know that I deserve something for that, but I don't think I deserve what I got."

Comments

igby 7 years, 3 months ago

This was stupid of this judge to do this because some lawyer will take his case to the supreme court and soon there will not even be a list of sexual offenders to be found no where.

akt2 7 years, 3 months ago

Never underestimate a pervert, their rights, or the pervert loving attorneys that represent them. They will eventually figure out a way to get out of the Judge's order.

compmd 7 years, 3 months ago

"Svaty declined to comment on his ruling, citing Kansas rules of judicial conduct."

Funny how this judge is so worried about judicial conduct but doesn't give a flying fark about the law. How is this relevant punishment for a class C felony? Where in the felony sentencing guidelines does it say this is a good idea? I am quite tempted to make a Godwin violation on this topic, and you all know what it would say.

tonythetiger 7 years, 3 months ago

Put that dude in the stocks,an flog him in town square. Tar and feather him. 40 lashings with the whip(oh he might enjoy that)

Talk about the Scarlet Letter.

Ceallach 7 years, 3 months ago

Signs are a great idea. He's lonely and feels isolated? Big deal. Chances are those children will feel some degree of isolation for the rest of their lives.

mom_of_three 7 years, 3 months ago

I love this idea. More power to the judge.

acg 7 years, 3 months ago

Awww, the poor kid touching perv feels lonely. I think he should have a bullet in his head instead of the signs put up about him. It's a waste of paper, ink and energy to post signs for this sicko. Take him off of our planet, instead.

janeyb 7 years, 3 months ago

Just hope all this predator list stuff doesn't backfire. Will the child molestion cease or will the offenders get clever and just get rid of the kids so they can't talk?

compmd 7 years, 3 months ago

Buggie7 (Anonymous) says:

"If you touch a child at all with inappropriate thoughts then you should pay the consequences."

I was waiting for someone to include criminalizing thought! Here Buggie, let me fix that sentence for you:

"If you touch a child at all then you should pay the consequences."

See how subtracting just three words made your statement reasonable?

Also, in reference to your earlier post about not everyone having Internet access to read the offender list, I'm not sure about Kansas, but in many places you can go to your local police department and they will help get you the information you seek.

Ontheotherhand, I commend you for your insight and awareness of the implications of such judicial action.

You know what disturbs me most about all of the irrational, emotional comments here is? You are the Douglas County jury pool. You are the ones who would decide the fate of someone accused of a crime. And people wonder why I say "Welcome to Kansas, where everyone is guilty and the courtrooms are for show."

ksdivakat 7 years, 3 months ago

mom_of_three.....sorry I didnt see your question last night, but I actually have an alert on my computer, so when a registered offender moves in my neighborhood I get the alert to check out the KBI's list, so it can be quite often or sometimes it doesnt go off for weeks, but I keep an eye on it and I print the guys face off so that my girls know who he is and to steer clear....

supernik 7 years, 3 months ago

Brilliant IDEA!!!! I have to agree with all molesters and rapests should have signs! its brilliant, then everyone knows, not everyone has the ablitity to check the registered offender list or even know where to find one but if you are house shopping you see the big signs in the yard and know, poor man feeling isolated, poor kids who have to live with being victims of the freakin sicko, I am amused!

Ceallach 7 years, 3 months ago

acg, you must learn to loosen up and let us know how you really feel about things :)

oldvet 7 years, 3 months ago

Great one, le... that is exactly what I was thinking should be done... then let him appeal!!!

acg 7 years, 3 months ago

hehe well ceallach, I can get overlook a lot of stuff. But people who do sick things to kids should only get one chance as far as I'm concerned. There should never be a chance for more victims. There should be no registered child rapist list telling you where they live in your neighborhood. They should go directly from the courtroom to the firing squad with no stops in between.

compmd 7 years, 3 months ago

Its disturbing to see how many of you think that this punishment which has no basis in law is a good idea.

Those of you who are in favor of killing this man are ignorant show a lack of respect for your country and justice. The Supreme Court already decided on the constitutionality of your desires more than 30 years ago in Coker v. Georgia.

So the guy is a sicko. Show me the guidelines suggesting that the judge put signs up in a convicts yard. Show me the statute authorizing enforcement of said punishment.

I dislike child molesters as much as the next guy, but you are all doing yourselves a disservice by believing that you have a better way of dealing with people like him when none of you have yet stated a legal punishment.

Chris Golledge 7 years, 3 months ago

I'm not a Bible thumping kind of person, but I agree with "...it would be better for him to have a heavy millstone hung around his neck, and to be drowned in the depth of the sea."

Although, I've always wondering if the correct translation was

it would be better | for him to be...

(meaning we would all be better off if he were simply removed with no trace left behind)

or

it would be better for him | to be...

(meaning he would be better off to be drowned than to have caused harm to a child, implying worse punishments are on the way)

Both is a possibility, but that would be ambiguous.

Chris Golledge 7 years, 3 months ago

compmd makes some good points though

Maybe that was part of the judges dilema; he may have felt compelled to prevent the perp from doing any more harm, but felt that the legal punishments would not be effective in that regard.

torcia 7 years, 3 months ago

compmd- You keep spouting about "basis in law." Reading the story it appears this was apart of a plea agreement. If it was; basically in the State that I prosecute in anything can be agreed upon by the parties per the plea agreement. I am not challanging you I am simply wondering if the defendant agreed to this to avoid prison time and now he is having second thoughts. If the judge simply sentenced him to this without it being contemplated by the parties he could have an issue.

But do I have any sympathy for him...NO

Confrontation 7 years, 3 months ago

It's disgusting that this pervert receives such a short sentence. There need to be new sentencing guidelines. I'm just hoping that this man gets depressed enough to take his own life. He's ruined the lives of at least two children, and he doesn't deserve to live.

ksdivakat 7 years, 3 months ago

But if he would have got caught smoking a marijuana cigarette, his a$$ would be in the pokey for sure! This is my outrage with the justice system, the children are regarded as less of an offense as it would be to get caught with weed! I think that instead of wasting my tax paying money on the trial, care, and keep of a child molestor, they need to find a penial (sp) island, out in the middle of nowhere, no electricity, no shelter, no food or water, and make it thousands of miles from nowhere in shark infested waters and drop their sorry a$$es off there and tell them to figure it out! Im sick of these jerks getting off with a light sentence! No wonder this country is in the crisis it is with kids and teenagers, the justice system is sending them a loud and clear message that they arent worth the time and effort to put someone away!!! Sorry just a mad mad mom who is fed up!

Marcus DeMond 7 years, 3 months ago

Solitary confinement with a gun. Give it time and the problem may take care of itself??

mom_of_three 7 years, 3 months ago

compmd - you miss the point. As a parent, I don't care if it is legal to put a sign in the guy's yard. I like the idea that the judge had the guts to do so.

aeroscout17 7 years, 3 months ago

I sure feel sorry for anyone trying to sell a house in the neighborhood...talk about there goes the neighborhood (and my property value)!

Strontius 7 years, 3 months ago

As long as we're at it, why don't we just create a huge list of everyone's crimes and put it on the internet for everyone to see, complete with picture. I mean, if it's okay to publicly embarrass sex offenders, then why not do the same thing for anyone who commits a crime. Surely the only people who would disagree would be those people with something to hide from someone...

Seriously, the comments here are just sick.

torcia 7 years, 3 months ago

Strontius- The sex off. reg. is not to embarass sex offenders but to protect public saftey. The embarassment is simply a bonus!

ksdivakat 7 years, 3 months ago

Strontius....are you aware that adult crimes ARE a matter of public record??!!!! and the registry was created so that I konw when the jackass moves into my neighborhood with my 3 daughters!!! If your against it, then you must be on it!!!

mom_of_three 7 years, 3 months ago

ksdivakat - as a parent, how often do you check the sex crimes registry?

mom_of_three 7 years, 3 months ago

Strontius - some of the comments may be sick, but so is what the man did to those kids. Think about them.

Buggie7 7 years, 3 months ago

I agree with ksdivakat. Those who are opposed to this are usually on it or claiming some mental problem made them do it.

acg 7 years, 3 months ago

Unless you've been a victim of one of these sickos you have no idea what this will do to your head, your life, your sense of self, your feelings of intimacy, your sex life, your trust levels, your relationships, etc. Some of you can regurgitate law and talk about legalities all day long and it will never change my mind, personally. I don't get anyone that wants to protect these sick, disgusting freaks. I don't understand anyone who thinks that these perverts deserve second chances. I also don't get comments like the one from Strontius. Have any kids strontius? It sounds to me as if the list offends you more than the crimes and criminals on it.

ontheotherhand 7 years, 3 months ago

Sorry, but even though I think the sex offender is wrong and should be punished, I think the Judge sounds like an absolutely idiotic backwoods boob.

If you don't believe me, then careful what you wish for/agree with. Think of the times when you have done something wrong--would you want a sign posted in front of your house? How about these?

"I beat my kids when they were little to make them tough."

"I cheated on my wife but she never found out."

"I got a DUI."

"My son drove home drunk and killed a child."

PS Don't forget, I said the guy was wrong and should be punished. I can expect us to make silly comments like "cut the guy's thing off," but I would expect more from a Judge; he is supposed to teach a person a lesson and protect the citizenry. I don't think he is supposed to put someone's life at risk . . .

redjayj 7 years, 3 months ago

omg the guys embarrassed????? pahleeez thats whats wrong with this world people have no conscience no shame when they do something wrong sick sick sick anyone defending this guy can go to the island with him

mom_of_three 7 years, 3 months ago

Although the signs in the yard is not a normal form of punishment, I don't know if it is endangering his life. I assume since he was convicted, he will be on the sex offender registry. They put your picture, crime and address on it. What is the difference between a sign in the yard and your photo and address on the internet?

Buggie7 7 years, 3 months ago

There is a HUGE difference. Not everyone has internet. These faces and signs need to be out there for people to know. I agree with the above post saying you just dont know what its like and how it changes a person until it happens to you or one of your children. Its a life altering thing. This guy only has the signs for a small part of his life to where he can move and go on the victims are having to live with it for the rest of their lives. People dont get that. They say look at how you are ruining the offenders lives. How are they supposed to pay their debt or recover? There is no such thing as a recovering offender its not like alcohol or drugs. The neighbors and community need to be warned. I feel sorry for their neighbors who have to have guests over with the thought of having those signs in their neighbors yard but hey whatever works!!!!

compmd 7 years, 3 months ago

torcia: "As part of his sentence, District Judge Ron Svaty ordered Schad to post the signs on his house and on his vehicle during his five years of probation and house arrest."

Yes, Schad took a plea deal, and the probation was appropriate under Kansas sentencing guidelines. There is no mention of any type of signage in the sentencing guidelines. This is where I take issue; what place was it for the judge to invent a sentence? It is the place of the legislature.

scenebooster: No, my reference to Coker is not misplaced. While you are correct in stating what Coker was about, you ignore the effect it had. The actual effect of the Coker decision was that only crimes involving the death of another human being could be sentenced with the death penalty. However, Texas (big surprise) is trying to make repeat child molesters eligible for the death penalty, but that law has not stood any test of constitutionality.

mom_of_three: "Guts" has nothing to do with it. Would you be equally proud of him if he had the "guts" to sentence him to life in prison (against sentencing guidelines again, but not out of his power). Or perhaps if the judge ordered him to yell "I'm a sex offender" every time he walked into a public place, would that show he had "guts?" No. Those things have no place in a criminal sentence under the laws of our state. If the judge had "guts" he would have honored the laws of the people that we, through our elected representatives, have approved.

Frederic Gutknecht IV 7 years, 3 months ago

Whatever works! Torture is part of the law of the land! All's fair in law and war!

We don't have a say and must let this play out. Obviously, some feel that this is fair punishment. I don't know if it's legal or should be...

It does seem practical as long as it does not lead to the terroristic behavior of neighbors.

Will it?

I'm for paying debts. I don't think criminals, generally speaking, pay them...but...we need to have them do so and have the "law" create punishments to suit the crime.

Judges should be able to speculate in that regard but do we have a judicial system which can/should rule?

I don't know. Life is a messy business, hence the "KILL THE CREEP!" responses, which are perhaps worthwhile but not exactly "viable".

What signs would you put in your yard? Would you expect any undue retribution due to those signs, or is all "retribution" good in your eyes?

It's a tough question. I, personally, don't know many who think that the predeliction for such crimes goes away. Bummer, dude.

Buggie7 7 years, 3 months ago

If you touch a child at all with inappropriate thoughts then you should pay the consequences. Im glad a judge had the guts to do this and yea I think if you were drinking and killed someone same thing should happen. The other family will have to live with it all of their lives why shouldnt you. There are cases in Douglas County where offenders have gotten off with a slap on the wrists and a lil probation boo freakin hoo. If the consequences means everyone will know what you did boo freakin hoo again. You cant sentence a offender to therapy it doesnt work. The only thing that does is get them to talk about it and then get so turned on they have to go out and do something about it. I agree with a earlier post dump them all on a island and let them be someone elses B**** for a change. Then lets see how something that they didnt want to happen to them feels to them for the rest of their lives. Boo freakin hooo.