Archive for Friday, March 21, 2008

Concert by WILCO planned for mid-May in downtown Lawrence

Promoter asks city commission to approve use of 900 block of New Hampshire

March 21, 2008

Plans are in the works for a major downtown outdoor concert in mid-May featuring the alternative country rock band WILCO.

City commissioners at Tuesday evening's meeting will be asked to approve a series of permits allowing the Grammy-winning group to play an outdoor concert on the vacant lots near Ninth and New Hampshire streets.

The event - proposed by local promoter Mike Logan - would be May 14. City commissioners have to approve the event, in part, because Logan is asking that much of the 900 block of New Hampshire Street be closed to traffic. He is also seeking permission to sell alcohol at the concert, although commissioners won't be able to rule on that issue at Tuesday's meeting. City ordinances require an official public hearing on alcohol issues that won't be able to be conducted until late April.

Logan anticipates the concert would attract about 4,000 people.

In a city memo, Logan said tickets for the event would go on sale as soon as he wins city approval for the concert. Ticket prices weren't listed, and an attempt to reach Logan wasn't immediately successful on Friday.

Comments

OldEnuf2BYurDad 6 years, 9 months ago

Our cops better get fitted for riot gear. 4000... beer... outdoor concernt downtown... do the math.

Branden Bell 6 years, 9 months ago

A riot? At a Wilco concert? Yeah, that'll happen.

Eddie Muñoz 6 years, 9 months ago

Yes, any time you get 4000 people together with alcohol you have a riot. Especially if there's music involved.

kustudent123 6 years, 9 months ago

right in the middle of KU finals! no!!!!

FatTony 6 years, 9 months ago

Get this done ASAP. If not I offer up my backyard. No selling beer though I will only provide a cup at the door for a small fee (the kegs will be in the back, help yourself).

Richard Heckler 6 years, 9 months ago

Even if beer is not sold water and juice most certainly should be available. Recycling bins would be a nice idea. Brew is not that far away....across the street and at 8th and New Hampshire, 10th and Mass.....

With or without beer this should be fun.

Casey_Jones 6 years, 9 months ago

oh please please please let this happen

RedwoodCoast 6 years, 9 months ago

rammy (Anonymous) says:

Good one, rammy. I'll bet there will be some less image-obsessed people in the crowd, too. Definitely a lot of tight clothes and faux-messy hair, though.

dirkleisure 6 years, 9 months ago

"alternative country rock band"

Speaking of out of touch, ladies and gentlemen I present to you Chad Lawhorn.

Sheesh, Alternative County. Those kids and their derned music, eh Chad?

OldEnuf2BYurDad 6 years, 9 months ago

My ignorance of whoever WILCO might be is apparent. However, this is not just about who is playing, but also about the nature of the venue. Outdoor concerts frequently go bad. Outdoors with beer.

Four thousand people at a concert just yards from single family dwellings? I cannot imagine.

1029 6 years, 9 months ago

Yeah, those single-family dwellings could be in real danger. somebody really should stop this concert. if it wasn't for those nearby houses, a concert might be a good idea...or if it was just apartments and other structures, but it's not. Think of the single-family dwellings, people. Otherwise, Lawrence could be in serious danger.

thomgreen 6 years, 9 months ago

"Those wearing small faded teeshirts, horned rim glasses, tight jeans, messy black hair and chuck taylors will be admitted for free."

If it was only that easy. I resemble that remark...minus the tight jeans...minus the glasses....minus the messy black hair. Would I have to die my hair, buy some tight jeans, and wear fake glasses? or can I just wear my chucks and my concert shirt?

dirkleisure 6 years, 9 months ago

Especially when the Hell's Angels provide security. Are the Hell's Angels going to provide security?

1029 6 years, 9 months ago

I hate it when people come together and enjoy their community, especially when it's an event that I would not go to because it is not aimed at older, wiser people like myself. People and beer and having a good time simply do not mix and a riot will surely ensue and downtown will likely be destroyed. Lawrence will learn its lesson when the beer makes these kids riot and destroy all the single-family dwellings. Then lawrence will learn its lesson that mixed-use areas are never a good idea. Neither is it a good idea to bring too many people together in one area.

dirkleisure 6 years, 9 months ago

Hey Bob - any idea how many they drew for their street concert in Columbia a couple of years ago? I would anticipate a similar crowd.

stuckinthemiddle 6 years, 9 months ago

I just never have liked WILCO as much as I liked Uncle Tupelo...

Uncle Tupelo was a lot edgier...

they were more of the kind of band that could cause a riot...

jplanet 6 years, 9 months ago

I really hope this happens! Although, I think using Wilco to revive Day On The Hill would be a better idea.

stuckinthemiddle 6 years, 9 months ago

beobachter if you really wan't to know you could run a search...

stuckinthemiddle 6 years, 9 months ago

beobachter then run a search on Uncle Tupelo... and tell me who you think is better...

I was a big Unlce Tupelo fan... but with WILCO, not so much...

stuckinthemiddle 6 years, 9 months ago

beobachter WILCO isn't a big deall for most people...

putting up with public concerts isn't a big deal for most people, either...

Kontum1972 6 years, 9 months ago

the jails will be full, and the DUI lawyers will be happy,...funny how they can organize a function for 4,000 people....and nobody cares about the war , dont see 4,000 protesting, that fiasco!

stuckinthemiddle 6 years, 9 months ago

beobachter are you opposed to any and all events that shut down public streets?

most people aren't...

Aaron Sherwood 6 years, 9 months ago

Anyone who is a fan knows how cool this news is. As for asking how many even know about Wilco - enough fans to merit two shows in Austin before May 14, and two shows in St Louis after. They were on Saturday Night Live a few weeks ago, had a great show on Austin City Limits a couple months ago, and (for better or worse), had six different songs in VW commercials several months ago. Enough people know about Wilco, they will go to the show, and it will be fantastic. And - even though it'll probably never happen - you never know if Jay will show up for a couple Uncle Tupelo songs! Fantastic news.

OldEnuf2BYurDad 6 years, 9 months ago

Everything east of Iowa St. will burn to the ground. That's my position and I'm sticking to it. As sure as we're winning in Iraq, Lawrence will burn if we have this concert.

outdoor55 6 years, 9 months ago

Holy Crap People!!! If the thought of a concert downtown scares you that much stay home. And if you don't live in Old West Lawrence, what do you have to say? I'm guessing you live in "Johnson Co. West"... I mean west Lawrence. Wilco is a great band that is family friendly. It's now past 5pm, have a drink.

unklemonkey 6 years, 9 months ago

I don't think Wilco is in all caps. WIlco, not WILCO.

Drew_Carey 6 years, 9 months ago

100 pts for OldEnuf. We do love sarcastic old fogies.

Confrontation 6 years, 9 months ago

I don't know anything about Wilco or WILCO, but I like the idea of a downtown concert. Although I hate to say anything positive about Oklahoma City, I did like the fact that they had outdoor performances in the Bricktown area. When we visited, there was one band singing oldies and another doing the 70's rock thing. Both were free to watch, although you could tip if you enjoyed the performance. There's nothing like this on Mass Street. No, homeless drama theater doesn't count. Mass Street is pretty boring.

RedwoodCoast 6 years, 9 months ago

Jeff Tweedy fans should also check out his side project Loose Fur. The album I'm partial to is "Born Again in the USA."

Scene: If we're going to scrap Wilco for a metal band, I think I would rather see someone like Mastodon. Surely they can't cost as much as Wilco.

Keith 6 years, 9 months ago

"b3 (Anonymous) says:

I cant wait for all of the trash that it will bring to town."

That's what I said just before you showed up.

Chris Tackett 6 years, 9 months ago

holy cow. some of the comments on this thread have me really worried about growing old.

logan, best of luck w// the event.

grubesteak 6 years, 9 months ago

My all time favorite band. I'm all for it.

BrianR 6 years, 9 months ago

This event sounds fun. Someone stated that Uncle Tupelo is better, I agree but Wilco is a great band all the same.

I saw Led Zeppelin in 1973 and they were a disappointment. You just can't go into the studio and overdub all day long then go out on the road with only one guitar and really pull it off. However, I do not regret paying the exorbitant $12.50 to see them.

DaREEKKU 6 years, 9 months ago

Those DERNED kids and their loud musics! They gots their beers and musics and they are just ru'ning the towwwn!

oldtimer39 6 years, 9 months ago

I think this is a grand idea and I hope it happens. My grandson and I both listen to Wilco and think they're fantastic. I wonder what they'll charge, though, for a concert that you'll be able to hear crystal clear for free across the street. Of course, I'll be paying to support the band - I'm just wondering is all.

case 6 years, 9 months ago

this is EXACTLY the kind of stuff that needs to start happening in Lawrence!!

The only riot that will break out is me against anyone who's first thought is that there will be a riot at all!

think happy thoughts people, it's much easier than you think...and it's better for your mind, body and soul!!!

bring it LOGAN!!!! WHOO HOOO!!!

jonny_quest 6 years, 9 months ago

Bringing 4,000 country rock fans to downtown Lawrence is fantastic compared to anything attracted to Last-Call.

RedwoodCoast 6 years, 9 months ago

Mr. Quest, I am hoping you are referring to the machismo that is so prevalent (and decadent) in hip-hop culture and not the actual people that comprise hip-hop culture.