Archive for Thursday, March 20, 2008

Charge filed against boyfriend in toilet case

March 20, 2008

— The boyfriend of a woman who apparently spent nearly two years in her bathroom has been charged with mistreatment of a dependent adult.

Kory McFarren, 36, called the Ness County Sheriff's Office in late February to say something was wrong with his girlfriend. When authorities arrived at the home, they found Pam Babcock, 35, stuck to the toilet, upon which they think she had sat for about a month.

Ness County Attorney Craig Crosswhite said the mistreatment charge most closely fit the situation.

"I looked at the statutes and spoke to the attorney general's office," he said. "This was a very unusual set of circumstances and this is the law that most closely applied to the situation."

McFarren told police that his girlfriend had been in the bathroom for about two years, and that he brought her food and water daily. He said he repeatedly asked her to come out, but her reply was usually, "maybe tomorrow."

Authorities said Babcock sat on the toilet so long that open sores developed and caused her to become attached to the toilet seat. Sheriff Bryan Whipple has said that he used a pry bar to remove the seat from the toilet, and that the woman was transported to the hospital with the seat still attached.

"She would have to be sleeping on the toilet," Whipple said.

Doctors at a Wichita hospital where Babcock was taken told McFarren that an infection in her legs had damaged her nerves and could leave her in a wheelchair. She was still at the hospital Wednesday night.

Crosswhite said McFarren's first court appearance would be sometime in April.

Comments

igby 6 years, 9 months ago

This case may set new precedent for anyone that does not call the police if they suspect that your a nut case.

Look out Lawrence. No laying on the sidewalk anymore. You might get stuck, so I'm calling the cops. Lol.

Is this man responsible for his girl friends mental health?

What if she wanted to eat herself to death, should he call the police?

ksdivakat 6 years, 9 months ago

Ok, I already know this is gonna be bad, but I just cant help myself.....is it ironic that the sheriffs name is "whipple?" as in dont squeeze the charmin........ok, I told you it was gonna be bad...its early!

toefungus 6 years, 9 months ago

ksdivakat, your observation is not lost on me. I think it is very funny.

Christine Pennewell Davis 6 years, 9 months ago

ks, not as bad as you think, miss them old "don't squeeze the charmin" comercials. this case still has me shacking my head I do not know if I should laugh or just cry over all of it.

ksdivakat 6 years, 9 months ago

momma...that is exactly how I feel, I dont know if i should laugh or cry, I feel sorry for the woman and obviously she has some issues that need to be dealt with, but on the other had.....on a toilet for 2 years???!!!! What kindof clown would allow his girlfriend to do that?? I mean shouldnt he have asid something to her family?? her friends?? anyone long before 2 years??? I dont know for sure but legally I think that because he assumed care for her then he was responsible for her care, and that makes him liable.....but im not attorney, so I couldnt quote that.

igby 6 years, 9 months ago

I don't know if you guy realize it or not but there are people in the world that are really weird. Most of them do live in rural Kansas. .... and they say Lawrence has all the freaks...; I think not.