Lawrence and Douglas County

Lawrence and Douglas county

NAFTA opponents seek resolution

March 18, 2008

— Agreements with Mexico and Canada are setting the stage for construction of a huge highway that will gobble up Kansans' property and jeopardize U.S. security, representatives from a wide range of groups said Monday.

"Through incrementalism, apathy and inattention, our national sovereignty is being sacrificed on a cross of greed, socialism and globalism," said state Rep. Judy Morrison, R-Shawnee.

Morrison has introduced House Concurrent Resolution 5033 urging Congress to withdraw from further participation in the North American Free Trade Agreement and Security and Prosperity Partnership of North America.

At a hearing before the House Federal and State Affairs Committee, truckers, labor officials and lawmakers and advocates from Kansas, Oklahoma and Texas urged approval of the resolution.

Committee Chairman Arlen Siegfreid, R-Olathe, said he didn't know if the committee could comprehend all the information submitted on the subject and work on the measure within the last three weeks of the legislative session.

"I think I've got a little reading to do. I have not made a decision yet, but it's getting very short," Siegfreid said.

Owen de Long, a political consultant from Merriam, said plans are in the works to build a NAFTA superhighway that will be one-quarter of a mile wide to transport Asian goods throughout the United States that are off-loaded at Mexican ports.

Some officials have repeatedly denied the existence of plans to build the highway.

But David and Linda Stall, founders of CorridorWatch in Texas, testified that because of NAFTA, Texas is in the middle of considering a Trans-Texas Corridor that has been criticized by landowners.

Comments

tolawdjk 6 years, 7 months ago

"De Long said it will be impossible to police the huge amount of cargo containers. "That's how terrorists will arrive in Kansas City," he said."

Opposed to how they arrive now, which is buy renting a sensible car in Dallas, takin a leisurely drive and visiting the world's largest barbed wire museum in LaCrosse and the biggest ball of twine in Cawker City, then stopping and shopping at Nebraska Furniture Mart for some nightstands.

No, once this "super highway" is constructed they will arrive strapped onto the front end of a Mexican Deth Truck driving 400,000 bazzillion miles per hour using Bald Eagles as fuel and hauling truckloads of cheep Chinese toys made of spent uranium from North Korean reactors and painted with pre-flaking lead paint. Once they get here they will piss in your gas tank, outlaw your sausage biscuits and gravy, and replace your gourmet coffee with Folger's crystals.

Look, if terrorists want to get to Kansas City, they can already get to Kansas City. A mythical 50 mile wide road isn't going to increase the rate or frequency of thier arrival.

KU_cynic 6 years, 7 months ago

Can the Kansas legislature get any more idotic than this?

Yeah, I know, just wait.

Poptart 6 years, 7 months ago

Human cargo is not the only issue. The super highway is purported to be a toll highway upon completion with the first US checkpoint, after crossing over from Mexico, in Kansas City, KS. This highway is to be built with our taxpayer monies, without our input, by a foreign company. Once complete the toll monies go to the company in Spain for the first fifty (yes 50) years. We, the U.S. citizens, end up with a lose-lose situation. There are three very good articles in the RANGE magazine; "A Dark Moon Rising", "Surrendering Sovereignty" by Tim Findley. Mr. Findley thoroughly investigated this issue and writes a very indepth overview of the TTC (Trans-Texas Corridor) effects on the United States. Security is one of the topics. I encourage everyone to educate themselves on this far reaching project. We, the people, should have been informed ahead of time by the Clinton administration and we should have a voice in this. Thank you.

Ken Miller 6 years, 7 months ago

This is an issue that very weak-minded politicians bring up to divert attention from their inability to deal with more substantive and important issues.

There is no "Superhighway" being built. It's like the flag burning issue years back - a way to attack "them" and make yourself look like a true patriot.

Do the math by talking with the State DOTs and how much it would cost to build this highway. So what if Texas is building an alternate route to I-35... have you ever tried to drive through traffic in Dallas and Austin and get ANYWHERE?

Mkh 6 years, 7 months ago

"Politicians who believe that a Superhighway will bisect our country are complete and utter idiots, and those that believe them are even bigger idiots. Find a real issue."

You all could not be more wrong. The "NAFTA Superhighway', or whatever you want to call it, is very real and a very important issue that all politicians should be dealing with. The Trans-Texas Corridor is a fact. The KC smartport is a fact. Look into it...it's not exactly hidden.

This is about national sovereignty. I don't think "terrorism" is really the issue. The issue is are we going to allow an "inland port" to be owned by foreigners and have Mexican custom officials have legal control to inspect cargo in Kansas City?

They roads are already built...we already have a "superhighway" system than intersects Kansas; pick up a map sometime morons. What is going on now is a transfer of sovereignty.

Mkh 6 years, 7 months ago

How many of you who deny the existence of plans to create a 'NAFTA Superhighway' and NAU have actually read through the works of Robert Pastor and the Council on Foreign Relations? How many of you have read the SPP agreement? How many of you have read NAFTA, FTAA? Have you been to the border of Texas and Mexico lately?

Or do you just recite the blabber of talking heads on television like Jeffery Toobin and the rest of the CFR stooges?

Mkh 6 years, 7 months ago

Marion (Marion Lynn) says:

"Makes no difference:it's a done deal."

Luckily our founding fathers didn't have that attitude Marion. I don't think it's too late, look at what is happening in Texas right now. There is a full on citizens revolt over the loss of land and sovereignty from the Trans-Texas Corridor. If it wasn't for the Bilderberger Gov. Perry it would have probably already been defeated.

However if the citizens sit on their hands and say "oh well, we can't stop it", or worse be a total idiot and think "it doesn't exist", then yes there is nothing we can do about it.

Mkh 6 years, 7 months ago

:crickets:

Silence seems to be the only reply NAU deniers can give when challanged with discussing the actual documents.

Oscar, are you not prepared to back up your claims with the SPP documents?

Gee I'm shocked.

Ken Miller 6 years, 7 months ago

I don't have to back anything up with "documents." I was the executive director of NASCO - so I know what that organization does and doesn't do. I was part of it, and I can tell you that NO ONE is going to build a 10 or 12-lane "superhighway" through the middle of the country.

Go back to your cave and listen to your shortwave radio broadcasts from the Minutemen.

Mkh 6 years, 7 months ago

HA! HA!

Well at least you were honest about your former job as director of NASCO!

Very interesting indeed. So was it your idea to take down the map of the proposed highway system and inland ports? That was probably smart.

So do you deny that the proposed KC Smartport will be run by Mexican customs officials?

Notice I never said anything about a 10 or 12-lane highway...you did. I'm talking about national sovereignty here. You NASCO guys need to get better at your word games.

Ken Miller 6 years, 7 months ago

Dear G. Gordon Liddy:

KC Smartport isn't "proposed." It's a reality, and it isn't run by Mexican customs officials, it's run by an American board of directors who live and work in Kansas City.

There is a map on the website, Dr. Corsi. And an explanation of what NASCO does that even you, a simple-minded conspiracy freak can understand.

Now stop your gibberish before I send a silent black helicopter to follow you around.

Mkh 6 years, 7 months ago

Oscar,

Would you be willing to be interviewed on a Kansas City talk radio program and/or be interviewed for a documentary that is currently in progress?

But I must warn you, this is a serious invitation, of course ignorant ranting like what you have displayed above would not be accepted, but instead a real discussion about the issues.

I'm sure as the former director of NASCO you are well versed in the SPP and could actually engage in a discussion...rather than a childish name calling spasm.

Mkh 6 years, 7 months ago

Oscar...do you admit the Trans-Texas Corridor is real? Do you admit the SPP is real?

Mkh 6 years, 7 months ago

This is by far my favorite part of the NASCO website:

"Is the map on the website an approved plan for the proposed NAFTA Superhighway?

There is no proposed NAFTA Superhighway.... The map is not a plan or blueprint of any kind.... They are EXISTING highways."

Absolutely beautiful propaganda!

Is there going to be a NAFTA Superhighway?

:No! You black helicopter fearing conspiracy nut, it's already "EXISTING"...therefore it has to be a myth:

How dumb do they think the people really are?

So I take it Oscar you were Tiffany's fill-in until she returned, huh?

Mkh 6 years, 7 months ago

Mr. Ken Miller,

It seems to me from what I've read online you are simply a pawn that doesn't understand what is going on concerning the NAU. Please don't take offense to that as it's actually a relative compliment.

At first I thought you were just another idiot denying the NAU. Then when you said you were NASCO I thought you were just another lying stooge. But I can tell from your various writings online that you are probably a well intentioned guy who got didn't know what he was really into.

Either way...my invitation still stands, and I'd greatly like to discuss these various issues with you.

I have always wondered if NASCO was knowling going along with the NAU or just ignorant puppets...looks like you are the missing part to the puzzle.

Ken Miller 6 years, 7 months ago

I work elsewhere now. Since I no longer work for NASCO, I am not the best spokesman for them, and since they wouldn't pay me anyway, why do any work for them? Go to the NASCO website and seek either Tiffany Melvin or Frank Conde.

I know very well what I was into while I was at NASCO, and know better than most how interstate highways are funded and constructed. All name calling and fun aside (and it was fun for me - don't take it so seriously), I KNOW that every state north of Texas will not see a so-called "Super Corridor" as described by folks like Corsi because the traffic counts are not there and likely won't be there for decades if not 100s of years. Now, Texas is a different bird... not because of SPP and NAU, but because the traffic jams around their major urban centers are hurting just-in-time delivery and productivity. It has forced Gov. Perry and others to find a way to alleviate the congestion - and unfortunately for them their dalliances with the Spanish-Australian funding group have been interpreted by some to be a precursor to a North American Union. I think it is more likely that Perry et. al. are shying away from the massive public tax hikes such a project would require, and the easier way to fund it (in their political world) is to seek out international groups with tons of cash who would turn the new facility into a toll road.

Now, I will say this: NASCO isn't the only group working to improve north/south interstate highways and delivery systems; you may want to look into groups promoting I-69. I can't give any perspective on what they do because I was never part of their group. And you may want to do more research in Cintra-Zachary, too.

Mkh 6 years, 6 months ago

Mr Miller,I do take offense to your childish name calling, not because I give two hoots about what you think, but because it is an absolute refusal to deal with the issue on the table, specifically the SPP and the NAU.Now since you were at NASCO before the SPP was signed I'll once again give you the benefit of the doubt that you really don't have a clue about what is going on in the larger picture. I doubt you have even read the SPP, let alone understand it. Once you do, then we could perhaps have a debate.

Mkh 6 years, 6 months ago

Mr Miller,I do take offense to your childish name calling, not because I give two hoots about what you think, but because it is an absolute refusal to deal with the issue on the table, specifically the SPP and the NAU.Now since you were at NASCO before the SPP was signed I'll once again give you the benefit of the doubt that you really don't have a clue about what is going on in the larger picture.I doubt you have even read the SPP, let alone understand it. Once you do, then we could perhaps have a debate.

Ken Miller 6 years, 6 months ago

Just because you read the SPP documents does not mean you are an "expert" at anything, least of all international transportation and trade needs. I tried to elevate this conversation once, and now you are just wasting my time.Go to the State DOT of your choice and talk to them about traffic counts, traffic projections and future needs associated with those numbers. Stop being an arm chair QB and telling those of us who were/are in the business what's right without any research. THEN maybe you can speak intelligently about this, and any other issue you are going to mistakenly harp on in the future.