Archive for Saturday, March 15, 2008

Greensburg structure is born in Lawrence

KU project takes to road on Monday

KU architectural students in Studio 804 push a section of their building destined for Greensburg out of a warehouse at the former Farmland Industries site east of Lawrence. The students have nearly completed construction of a community building for the tornado-ravaged city. The building will be shipped to Greensburg today in seven sections and completed on site.

March 15, 2008

KU class brings project to Greensburg

Packing and moving 402 miles is no easy task, but a group of KU students and their professor, along with a crane and fleet of semi trucks, will do just that next week. 6News reporter Jonathan Kealing has more information on the effort to bring hope to Greensburg, KS. Enlarge video

Graduate students in Dan Rockhill's class at Kansas University will live in southwest Kansas from Monday until May 4 as they assemble and complete Greensburg's new community building.

KU architectural students in Studio 804 slowly roll a section of their sustainable building out of their warehouse at Farmland Industries. The students have nearly completed construction of a prototype building for the city of Greensburg. For the project, the Studio 804 class reclaimed building materials from the Sunflower Army Ammunition Plant near De Soto. The building will be shipped to Greensburg on Monday in seven sections and assembled and completed on site ahead of the one-year anniversary of a massive tornado hitting the city.

Studio 804 goes to Greensburg

KU architecture students move a building from Lawrence to Greensburg.

Packing and moving 402 miles is no easy task, but packing and moving an entire building - walls and all - 400 miles is a task just short of Herculean.

A group of Kansas University students and their professor, along with seven semitrailers and a crane, will do just that Monday when they take the building they built in a warehouse on the site of the old Farmland Industries plant and transport it to Greensburg, as part of the reconstruction effort for the tornado-ravaged town. Of course, the drive to Greensburg is only 270 miles by the most efficient route, but because of the need to dodge overpasses and narrow roads, the convoy will go east past Wellsville before heading west.

Zack Arndt and his fellow graduate students have been building this structure, a new community building, since January, starting with a trip to the former Sunflower Army Ammunition Plant in De Soto to gather wood for the project. This week, they started to disassemble their creation so it could make the trip out of town.

"It's the next step," Arndt said. "It's just another milestone in the project. We have a lot more work to do."

Some of that work includes installation of electrical fixtures, painting, flooring and foundation work. The seven pieces of the building will have to be joined back together as well.

So from Monday until May 4, the 22 graduate students in Dan Rockhill's Studio 804 class will live in southwest Kansas. Because of the already existing shortage of buildings in Greensburg, they'll be living in Pratt Community College dorms and drive a half hour to Greensburg each morning.

"May 4, the one-year anniversary of the storm, is the deadline, but we'd like to be done a couple of weeks before that, just so we can tie up some loose ends," Arndt said.

The building will be named 547 Arts Center, a direct reference to the date Greensburg was leveled by a massive tornado: 5-4-2007.

"I don't think my emotions could have swelled much more throughout this process because I've been waiting so long for it," said Jenny Kivett, another graduate student working on the project. "But to know it's going to a place that needs it and to people that appreciate it and want it is something very special and exciting."

Kivett said the undertaking has been a massive one, with little opportunity to sit back and feel the way through the process.

"We all got pushed out of the nest basically and were told to fly," she said. "I pretty well expected what was going to happen, never fully thinking I was ready to do it."

But, evidently, the students are ready.

"At the beginning of the semester I had mere boy hands. Now they've developed into man hands with calluses and dirt," Arndt said as he showed off a pair of paws that seemed to have not seen a sink in a week or two.

All that remained to be done Friday was packing of tools and materials into the building modules and then to seal them with waterproof materials.

The building pieces will sit over the weekend in preparation for the Monday morning trip. As of Friday, the plan was to leave for Greensburg at 7 a.m. with an estimated arrival nine to 10 hours later.

Comments

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 6 years, 9 months ago

Hmm. This could have easily been designed to fit on 5 fewer semis which could have taken the most direct route. What are they teaching in this "design" class?

ASBESTOS 6 years, 9 months ago

Materials were recalimed from Sunflower Army Ammunition Plant? You gotta be kidding me! Were these materials tested for contamination? What particular buildings were "recalaimed"? Additionally, during the "reclaiming" process, did these people foloow the asbestos regulations? I have been to SFAAP and most ALL of the buildings have lots of friable and non friable asbestos.

For instance, some of the materials look like subfloors, was there VAT on them, and then removed? The people receiving the building would be required to have everything disclosed to them. There were a LOT of bad chemicals used out there at SFAAP. There are LOTS of materials with toxic levels of chemical residue. Reclaiming from SFAAP was a BAD idea if carefull selection was not used. If the asbestos regulations were ignored in this "reclaimation", how many other toxic and coarinogenic materials were ignored as well to to a "feel good" good deed?

ASBESTOS 6 years, 9 months ago

Tony, the "Siding" out there is all Asbestos cement tiles/shingles. So as I said, did they "reciam" it correctly? Were they protective of the people and the materials while stripping off the asbestos tiles/shingles, or did they just smash them off. Yes the WHOLE polace has asbestos AND LEAD BASED PAINT. Remember this was build in the 40's and 50's, and the specified materials were to be fireproof and durable.

The "Ammunition" the plant produced REQUIRED the buildings to be as fire resistant as possible concidering the dangers of "Detonation".

Tony88 is usually wrong on thses environmental issues dealing with pesky little things like UST's, Asbestos, or LBP. YES, Tony, there were a lot of buildings contaminated.

From 1997 to 2001 (and currently ongoing as well) SFAAP BURNT 1496 buildings and almost all of those had asbestos cement ciding and asbestos cantaining materials. 80% of those buildings detonated, blowing asbestos all over ALL the buildings and grounds. The air sampling also showed that one mile away and at 1000 feet altitude the air samoler for lead was 60 mg/m3. Meaning it was above the PEL, meaning there is a helluva lot of asbestos and lead contamination ALL OVER THE PLANT.

People are in danger, and KDEH looks the other way.

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 6 years, 9 months ago

"bozo, they aren't making a double wide."

If they need 7 semis to transport it, they're certainly building it like a double-wide.

Christine Pennewell Davis 6 years, 9 months ago

It sounds like you should contact them and put your questions to them or maybe contact the LJW and see if they ask these questions and just omited them from the report. Considering where they got the materials they are good qestions. I do applaud the intentions and desire to help these are good traits to have in life.

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 6 years, 9 months ago

"I KNEW some posters would criticize these kids project,"

My criticism is actually more directed at their instructors than the kids.

Sean Livingstone 6 years, 9 months ago

Moving such a structure 400 miles doesn't sound very "green" to me. The emissions from the transportation, the impact on a road that is designed not to carry such a heavy load, the possible traffic congestion it might have caused, and of course, how many people are actually benefiting from this? Of course, I'm not saying that this is not a good project. It is from the mind, a green mind is important here. But many of us fail terribly by doing something that looks green, but may not actually be green on the other sides (like additional gas emission, damages to the highway, impacts on community). The instructor has to be honest with himself: How many people are they actually benefiting?

Jeff Kilgore 6 years, 9 months ago

As a former Greensburg resident, I am deeply appreciative of the efforts made by KU students and professors for their hard work and the work to come. Believe me, they won't hear critics when they arrive! I plan to meet them with my family. It's really humbling when people so far away want to do something as nice as this. Some of you are too smart for your own good.

Jonathan Kealing 6 years, 9 months ago

Story's reporter here. We absolutely did ask whether this was safe for our very first story back in December. We were assured they were only using materials from buildings that were safe, and only - as one poster mentioned - the wood for building siding. There are a lot of buildings out at Sunflower and my understanding is some of them are perfectly reusable.

Sean Livingstone 6 years, 9 months ago

tony88,

I think your link is important. It leads to more criticisms from me. They narrowly focus on the design of the building. To be green, I think the instructor does have to teach the students about "sustainability" outside of the building. Just as my previous example, having such a green building done and shipped to the construction site, doesn't make sense if it increases the cost of road repair and carbon emissions.

I understand that this is a model for Greensburg, but how does the contractors know how to build green if the entire building is build by the students here at KU? It really doesn't make sense to me.....

Sean Livingstone 6 years, 9 months ago

Marion (Marion Lynn) says:

"Yeah, 402 miles at 5-10 mph, behind a big throbbing Cummins Diesel.

Now there's a "carbon footprint" for you!"

I rarely agree with you, but this time round, I do.

Also, I kept mentioning the asphalt pavement... it's going to cost a lot to repair those pavements. They're designed to handle certain load but I don't believe they're designed to handle this house..... more carbon emissions.

talk_is_cheap 6 years, 9 months ago

you are all sooo misinformed...maybe you should look for the truth instead of making your assumptions, then telling yourself those assumptions are true, simple because it is what you want to believe as "your truth." Because I will tell, you are all very very very wrong. I will not be posting again, so comment if you like, slander me if care to, I won't be reading it and you wont get another word out of me. About 90% of you are flat out wrong, I know with certainty...you are wrong. - there are much more important things to take on in life, through hard work and action. good day

RedwoodCoast 6 years, 9 months ago

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus (Anonymous) says:

ASBESTOS 6 years, 9 months ago

"I KNEW some posters would criticize these kids project, and you guys didn't let me down."

You did not read my post:

"Overall, I applaud these students, but the road to hell is paved with good intentions. IT appears as if to be "green" we are ignoring the "brown" environmental issues."

Asbestos and construction safety is a big deal and the companies, academic institutions, and State and federal agencies are now ignoring workplace safety. Kansas is THE WORST!

From TONY88, and showing a disregard of all things hazardous:

"the building was a magazine building (storage)"

Meaning it was used for AMMUNITION storage, most of that stuff off gassed some bad stuff from Nitroguanine to Nitro Glycerine, the major components of the stuff produced out at SFAAP. And now we are learning that they have "recycled" here before???

"There are buildings in Lawrence already from Sunflower, duplexes and Eudora is full of them. The city won't allow recycled materials or old lumber to be used in new construction."

This is a great public health concern. The entire SFAAP was on the NPL listing, meaning SUPERFUND, and those buildings are contaminated. and NOW people are telling me that this recycling of contaminated materials has been going on??

This is why the SFAPP should have not been NPL delisted.

It was a "poweder magazine", meaning they stored porpellant in it. Look at the cancer cluster that is DeSoto and Eudora.

ASBESTOS 6 years, 9 months ago

I hope the women that worked on this project wore respirators when cutting this wood, or in the demolition phase. These chemicals and their secondary decompositional products cause birth defects and DNA alteration. That is why the SFAAP was on the NPL Listing.

Governmental Corruption, Political expedience, political posturing, and developer dollars all at the exception of human safety. Sad for a supposed "Green" endeavor.

ASBESTOS 6 years, 9 months ago

No, I have worked out there. I have "boots on the ground" knowledge of this site. I was also correct on the 9th Street UST probelm where KDHE screwed the pooch. HEre they are again, letting people take structural and siding from buildings that have fire retardant sprayed and impregnating thw wood.

For everyone's infromation this was an "ammunition porcuctin facility", EVERYTHING was either fireproofed or sprayed with fire retardants. Add in all the off gassing materials, and you have a witches brew of chemicals delivered by cutting the wood via inhalliation of dust and sawdust.

I cannot believe the owner of the property is taking this liability. I am not suprised that the architecture professor did not recognize or evaluate the structure, all architects are concerned with is "their vision", not evnironmental or safety issues.

Look at the Corwn Center Collapse for evidence.

Dollars and "vision" always trump safety, public health, and environmental issues.

Rod Bremby is so concerned to stop coal fired power plants, but allows contaminated materials to be taken off a former NPL site and diospersed within the state?

Priorities are screwed up, and I believe the first sick person needs to sue the hell out of KU. This IS what professional misconduct looks like.

Linda Aikins 6 years, 9 months ago

"My grandparents live in a town about 75 miles west of Greensburg. I've driven through Greensburg on many occasions. So I'm not lying when I tell you that there really isn't a "direct route" to get out there from Lawrence. It requires jumping many highways, and I'm sure that the size of the loads on the trucks limits their route options even further." - Redwood Coast

Minneola? Meade? And RC is absolutely right. Lots of roads lead there, but none of them are a straight shot except to go turnpike to Wichita, then west on 54, and I doubt they want to go through Wichita.

Great job for a nice bunch of folks!

ASBESTOS 6 years, 9 months ago

From the OSHA website. FOr those of you that worked on this, IF you have symptoms PLEASE let your Doctor know:

"* Summary of toxicology

1. Effects on Animals: Nitroglycerin affects the cardiovascular system, blood, and nervous system of experimental animals. The dermal LD(50) in rabbits is greater than 280 mg/kg [NIOSH 1991]. The oral LD(50) in rats is 105 mg/kg [NIOSH 1991]. Animals administered nitroglycerin orally developed hypotension, tremors, ataxia, lethargy, hyperpnea, cyanosis, prostration and went into convulsions [NLM 1992]. Nitroglycerin has caused methemoglobinemia in dogs [NLM 1992].

2. Effects on Humans: Nitroglycerin is a vasodilator which affects the cardiovascular system, blood, and nervous system in humans [Hathaway et al. 1991]. Workers exposed to between 0.03 and 0.11 ppm complained of headaches and irritation [ACGIH 1991]. Chronic exposure results in the development of tolerance to the cardiovascular effects of nitroglycerin. A break in chronic exposure of one to three days can result in malaise, severe chest pains, palpatations, and even sudden death [Clayton and Clayton 1993; Rom 1992; NLM 1992]. Monday morning headaches or angina occur in chronically exposed workers as a result of a withdraw from exposure while not working over the weekend. Normally, if the individual is again exposed to nitroglycerin the symptoms will disappear. Exposure to nitroglycerin can also cause abnormalities of blood including methemoglobinemia and leukopenia. In addition, abnormal liver function tests have been observed in individuals exposed to nitroglycerin [Rom 1992]. Symptoms of Raynaud's phenomenon and peripheral neuropathy have also been reported in exposed workers [Rom 1992].

3. Signs and symptoms of exposure

4. Acute exposure: Acute exposure to nitroglycerin can cause headaches, nausea, vomiting, occasionally diarrhea, sweating, and lightheadedness. High exposure can cause abdominal cramps, vomiting, depression or mania, mental confusion, delirium, convulsions, paresthesias or paralysis, aphasia, impaired vision, breathing difficulties, methemoglobinemia and blue skin (cyanosis), bradycardia, circulatory collapse, or death [Sittig 1991; Rom 1992].

5. Chronic exposure: Chronic exposure to nitroglycerin can lead to the development of tolerance, and sudden withdrawal from exposure can result in angina-like chest pains which may be accompanied by malaise, weakness, vomiting, dizziness, headache, or impaired vision. Sudden death may also result. Chronic exposure may also result in severe headache, hallucinations, and skin rashes. Allergic contact dermatitis can occur secondary to topical exposure to nitroglycerin. "

ASBESTOS 6 years, 9 months ago

Cool, you missed the point entirely. I really do not care the least about the "transport". I care a great deal about all the materials in this project and the possibility of exposure to chemicals inpregnated in the wood. The students of 804 are they having headaches? Bleeding?

How about those that are occupying these buildings with this recoverd materials that is contaminated and origninates from within a NPL designated site.

That is the point, not the transportation of the "green dream". My point was this architectual professor put his ego and pride and promotion of his vision of "green" building through recovered materials, and apparently did not do due dilligence on what and where those materials came from. IF these materials ARE contaminated which is a high probability coming from this particular site, the students were exposed, how much we do not know. That is the need for analysis before and air sampling during the construction. As for the aftereffects, "Indoor Air Quality" is very similar to "Green Building", and whatever is introduced or present in the building builds up , and at small levels can cause problems like Formaldahyde in the FEMA trailers. Oh, and BTW, formaldahyde is a component in fire retardants. They used materials that have high formaldahyde content for a "Green Building".

Oh, the hypocriscy!! This is scarey.

As for the "Crown Center Collapse", it is what happens when one rushes in and does not take into considerations all reasonable risks. I am well aware of the history and know quite a few of the victims and survivors, and I was on those walkways 5 months before the collapse.

oldgoof 6 years, 9 months ago

I think a dead-on F2 would take it out.

Linda Aikins 6 years, 9 months ago

MD - thanks for keeping this funny! Teflon - haha!

Jkilgore, I'm an Ashland gal! My grandparents lived in Mullinville so, as you know, when I stayed with them, a trip to Greensburg was a big deal!

Your post is very nice. And I agree. Those SW Kansas folks are hardy and very kind. I know they will be well received!

VICKI WILLIAMS 6 years, 9 months ago

THANK YOU JKILGORE AND GOOTSIE FROM ASHLAND. AND OTHERS FOR AN INFORMATIVE DISCUSSION HERE. I HAVE LIVED HERE IN GREENSBURG FOR OVER 50+ YRS. AND YOU 2 GIRLS ARE RIGHT. WE DO APPRECIATE WHAT OTHERS IN LAWRENCE (K.U.) ARE TRYING TO DO FOR US. MAY GOD BLESS EVERYONE. ANGEL_WARRIOR_MUTTER

VICKI WILLIAMS 6 years, 9 months ago

FYI :

GUYS WE ARE ALSO LIVING IN A FEMA 64'L X 14' W TRAILER. AND I HAVE NOT HAD ANY HEALTH ISSUES. I APPLAUD KU FOR WANTING TO DO SOMETHING NICE FOR THOSE OF US HERE.

UNLESS SOME OF YOU HAVE BEEN THROUGH AN EF-5 TORNADO OR HAD YOUR HOME TOTALLY DESTROYED.

ONLY THEN CAN YOU BEGIN TO COMPREHEND HOW THOSE OF US HERE FEEL WHEN SOMEONE TRIES TO DO SOMETHING NICE.

AS FOR ALL THOSE CHEMICALS ??? YOU HAVE THOSE ANYWHERE AND EVERYWHERE. SOME GREATER/LESSER EXTENT. MAY GOD BLESS YOU ALL.

ANGEL_WARRIOR_MUTTER