Archive for Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Study: 1 in 4 teen girls has an STD

March 12, 2008

— At least one in four teenage American girls has a sexually transmitted disease, suggests a first-of-its-kind federal study that startled some adolescent-health experts.

Some doctors said the numbers might be a reflection of both abstinence-only sex education and teens' own sense of invulnerability. Because some infections can cause infertility and cancer, U.S. health officials called for better screening, vaccination and prevention.

The overall STD rate among the 838 girls in the study was 26 percent, which translates to more than 3 million girls nationwide, researchers with the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention found. They released the results Tuesday at an STD prevention conference in Chicago.

The teens were tested for four infections: human papillomavirus, which can cause cervical cancer and affected 18 percent of girls; chlamydia, 4 percent; trichomoniasis, 2.5 percent; and genital herpes, 2 percent.

Disease rates were significantly higher among black girls. Nearly half had at least one STD, versus 20 percent among both whites and Mexican-Americans.

Comments

bondmen 6 years, 9 months ago

STD's lower chances for a normal pregnancy when desired, i.e., when it's best for the child, after marriage. All the sex lessons taught in school regarding protection fail during active sexual behavior! The AIDS virus is smaller that the rubber wall of a condom so can still pass through though ones been taught their practicing safe sex. How sad. The conclusion is safest sex is sex in marriage between husband and wife! Ask the New York Governor.

trinity 6 years, 9 months ago

oh for god's sweet sake, i can't believe somebody has pinned this on bush!!! and i can't STAND dubya!

the wheels for this assertion (1 in 4 teen girls has an STD) were in motion a long, long time ago. it's a societal thing for cryin' out loud.

WHY 6 years, 9 months ago

Any chance 1 in 4 teen boys have an STD, or is there just one horny diseased 15 year old giving all these girls STDs.

jonas 6 years, 9 months ago

People, am I the only one who noticed that this supposedly representative survey only had 836 people in it? That's what, less that .001 percent of our population? How could that possibly be considered representative or thorough enough to be valid?

Trinity: Consider the source. It could be someone truly blaming Bush, or it could be someone parodying what they see as the liberal mindset.

Jason Bowers-Chaika 6 years, 9 months ago

What? How can this be? All of these children were taught abstinence only. They took virginity pledges. They all have parents that are involved and interested in where their kids are and what they are doing. The kids are involved in well funded activities that improve self image and reduce the likely hood of substance abuse. NO, this can't be!

KansasEqualityCoalition.org

saraheckman 6 years, 9 months ago

Jonas-

Statistically speaking, you usually do not need a huge sample to have a statistically accurate representation of the population. I could give you the formula to determine sample size, however it is too early in the morning. :)

tvc 6 years, 9 months ago

Bondmen, you are part of the problem. Here is a link to educate yourself. http://www.cdc.gov/hiv/resources/qa/condom.htm

tvc 6 years, 9 months ago

Why don't you tell the governor's wife that sex inside the marriage is the safest! I am sure she feels safe knowing her husband has been having sex with a prostitute!

Christine Pennewell Davis 6 years, 9 months ago

I was watching about this yesterday on the news and they said that half the girls said that they were not having sex. I guess they meant at that moment, I am sure it was not divine intervention.

Christine Pennewell Davis 6 years, 9 months ago

did not finish the sentence srry. was not divine intervetion that gave them all std. why do teenage girls thing all adults are idiots??

acoupstick 6 years, 9 months ago

"The AIDS virus is smaller that the rubber wall of a condom so can still pass through though ones been taught their practicing safe sex."

This statement is completely untrue. The virus that causes AIDS is HIV. When used correctly and consistency, condoms are effective against the transmission of HIV. Please do not spread misinformation about such a serious issue.

pomegranate 6 years, 9 months ago

Mr. Values,

The sad thing is that you seem to have no values. Sure sex is an important and natural thing, but for goodness sake man, get a grip!! We do not need to be encouraging our teens to have more and more sex with as many partners as they can. Bush had nothing to do with this increase in std's. It is due to the likes of you and your ilk.

Besides which, how can all the suicide bombers have hundreds of virgins when the girls are all screwing their guts out?

waypasthadenough 6 years, 9 months ago

The "Liberal" lowlifes are great at the propaganda game. Hitler wrote in Mein Kampf that he learned propaganda from the communists, what the "Liberals" used to call themselves before Josef Stalin's murderous ways became known to the western sheeple, after years of our newspapers covering up his evil.

"Disease rates were significantly higher among black girls."

Just vote for Obamacommie, he'll make it all better.

jayhawklawrence 6 years, 9 months ago

This is a natural result of too much sexuality in the mass media. Young people, before they are mature, are subjected to a tidal wave of destructive influences.

From what I have heard from teachers, there is also a severe shortage of good parenting skills.

This political bickering is a waste of time in regards to solving a severe cultural problem.

geniusmannumber1 6 years, 9 months ago

"kind of like how Monica and Willy popularized fellatio"

Do you really believe this is true? I feel so badly for you. You missed out on a lot.

black_butterfly 6 years, 9 months ago

They should have stated where these samples of girls were taken from. That is the only way to know if the study was biased or not. The data is not accurate if the "black girls" were selected from urban areas where poverty is high and the whites and mexican americans were selected from rural or suburban areas. That taints the study. If they selected ALL of the girls from rural or suburban areas where the socio-economic levels are steady they might come up with a different outcome. The same for if they selected the samples ALL from urban areas. Parental guidance and supervision has a lot to do with the girls sexual activity. If these parents would teach their daughters to love themselves then they wouldn't seek "substitutes" for love in popularity and sexual activity. Condoms may not protect 100% but they're better than no protection at all. USE CONDOMS!!!

jonas 6 years, 9 months ago

"right_thinker (Anonymous) says:

No matter how much the 'blame Bush' crowd blames Bushfor whatever, I'm hanging in here to see them through the next nine months."

If you notice, no one here really blamed Bush.

jonas 6 years, 9 months ago

saraheckman: I understand the concept of a representative sample, but any statistician would also tell you that there would be a correlation between increase in sample size and accuracy of the findings. I don't totally discredit these findings, but I find them too questionable to form any strong opinions, other than that the sample size should be increased if possible before we make conclusions.

Becca 6 years, 9 months ago

What about the parents? If they were actually being parents, then their kids probably wouldn't have STD's. Even though I didn't like a lot of things my mother did when I was growing up, one thing I will say is that she was actually involved in my life. She knew where I was at all times and what I was doing. And because of that, I didn't do things that would get me in trouble with her. I'm 24, it wasn't that long ago that I was a teenager too, but it seems like more and more parents now could care less about being parents.

kansas778 6 years, 9 months ago

jonas (Anonymous) says:

If the sample was truly random, then increasing the sample size will have little effect on the results. The margin of error gets pretty small when you get around 1000, and it would take massive increases in the sample size to achieve slight decreases in the margin of error.

acoupstick 6 years, 9 months ago

"We do not need to be encouraging our teens to have more and more sex with as many partners as they can."

I have never met an educator or parent who does this. Have you?

"Well, duh, their culture has been destroyed by the "Liberal"(communist) welfare plan that paid teenage girls to have babies without fathers for generations. Their culture was intentionally turned into a victim class so they could be counted on to participate in the "Liberal" vote buying scheme called socialism."

The level of intellectual dishonesty in this comment is frightening. Fatherless children is indeed an issue of class but socio-economic class, not "victim class" - whatever that is. I suspect that it is an issue black culture has wrestled with since the end of slavery and in the 20's and 30's when poor black men drifted from town to town looking for work. My point is that the problems predate federal welfare. Equally dishonest is the pervasive equation of liberal politics with communism. When you imply that contemporary liberalism, communism, and socialism are all the same, you display your ignorance about all three. The same can be said for those who equate conservatism with fascism.

kansas778 6 years, 9 months ago

acoupstick, contemporary liberalism is not communism, but certainly it is close to socialsim. If contemporary liberals are not socialists, how would they act differently then currently do?

adriennerm 6 years, 9 months ago

This is kinda close to this subject. A while back I, being incredibly stupid, allowed my daughter to have a myspace account. Well I checked her messages and came across a horrific conversation between her "7th grade" an this 8th grade girl.

Daughter- Why were you not in Edge, your boyfriend "J" was looking for you Girl- I snuck to "R" house...girl we did it!!! Daughter- OMG, you so nasty. I thought you were still with J Girl- I am Daughter- Didn't you freak him to Girl- so Daughter- D#mn don't get mad, i'm asking Girl- I did him, but he likes to were rubbers Daughter- so Girl- It feels better not to. Do you still have your V card Daughter- He77 yea, my cousin pregnant (age 15) and she is in trouble. Girl- LMAO, you so young, why haven't you did "T" yet. If you let him finger you it doesn't count Daughter- OMG OMG OMG OMG.....GROSS

that was the entire conversation....am I happy to know my daughter is still a virgin-YES. Does my daughter still have a myspace-NO. I talked to my daugter about this girl....my daughter said they aren't real close, they just talk in Edge. I couldn't beleive it

RedwoodCoast 6 years, 9 months ago

Mr_Values (Anonymous) says:

Archeological evidence suggests that Homo sapiens neanderthalensis, although primitive, had a highly progressive concept of human sexuality. A typical Homo sapiens neanderthalensis male would copulate with 100 to 200 partners in his lifetime, and had no weird psychological hang-ups concerning buggery. It's a shame that Christians have regressed our culture to a state that predates even prehistoric man.

OK Mr. V, and no offense, but where the heck did you get that information? There is so much we DO NOT know about Neandertal behavior. I don't think there is any way we can conclude what you are saying based on the evidence given. Heck, we can't even agree on whether Neandertals and modern humans interbred, let alone what the sexual habits of the Neandertal is. And you're flat wrong about them predating prehistoric man. Neandertals and modern humans coexisted in Europe and the Near East from about 42,000 years ago to about 28,000 years ago. Highly progressive, although primitive?

I'm sorry, but I'll just say what I'm thinking: You have no idea what you're talking about.

RedwoodCoast 6 years, 9 months ago

"Some doctors said the numbers might be a reflection of both abstinence-only sex education and teens' own sense of invulnerability."

Yep, (invulnerability)+(no education on prophylactics)=(25% of teenage girls have an STD)

jonas 6 years, 9 months ago

Kansas778: "If the sample was truly random, then increasing the sample size will have little effect on the results."

That's the big question, though, isn't it?

"The margin of error gets pretty small when you get around 1000, and it would take massive increases in the sample size to achieve slight decreases in the margin of error."

You usually post on things that you've studied to some extent. Where did you come across this hypothesis? I'm not questioning you, I would simply like to know more, as methods of data compilation and analysis interest me.

RedwoodCoast 6 years, 9 months ago

Dollypawpaw (Anonymous) says:

This is what happens when the third world population is allowed to increase.

1 in 4 are christians?

"...allowed to increase"???? Dolly, crawl back under that rock.

jumpin_catfish 6 years, 9 months ago

Bush and co. being blamed for the poor behavior of young people. Geez....... I'm left speechless by the stupidity of some people!

Confrontation 6 years, 9 months ago

HPV and herpes can still spread with the use of a condom. STD's can spread through oral sex. Some STD's can spread by skin-to-skin contact, with no insertion being required. Kids aren't being taught about this stuff in school, and we all know that a majority of parents are doing a crappy job with sex ed. Parents need to step up and take responsibility for something. It may come as a shock, but your kids are your responsibility.

jonas 6 years, 9 months ago

Redwoodcoast: "OK Mr. V, and no offense, but where the heck did you get that information?"

Likely he made it up, or got it from some other internet site that made it up.

a_flock_of_jayhawks 6 years, 9 months ago

acoupstick says (referring to Mr_Values and waypasthadenough), "Equally dishonest is the pervasive equation of liberal politics with communism. When you imply that contemporary liberalism, communism, and socialism are all the same, you display your ignorance about all three. The same can be said for those who equate conservatism with fascism."

Yep. It's interesting to see that one thing remains constant in their posts -- that they are amazingly ignorant on this topic.

Got a challenge for you two where you might learn a thing or two, if that's possible. Why don't you wiki the three terms you have bandied about and compare what you read about them (assuming you can interpret them without seeing them through your reactionary lenses). Before you ask me to do the same, I'll throw this out there, I already did as part of my undergrad program and earned max credits.

a_flock_of_jayhawks 6 years, 9 months ago

R_T - I think Mr_Values got some folks confused with his sarcasm and role playing.

kansas778 6 years, 9 months ago

Jonas, I vaguely remember the number 1000 being a good benchmark for sample sizes from my statistics class. Here's a page showing the decrease in margin of error as sample size goes up: http://www.isixsigma.com/library/content/c040607a.asp

To go from a 7 to 6 percent margin of error only takes an increase of 100 in the sample, but to go from 3 to 2 percent would take an increase of 1000.

tuna 6 years, 9 months ago

DPP: They did the same survey in all the Chicago area catholic and christians schools and there was not one case of an STD?

I wonder why that is?

Me: They probably learned how to appropriately use a condom...

Yes, yes, the only way to ensure not getting an STD is by not having sex at all or having sex with someone else who is a virgin. And yes, you could wait till marriage and everything will be just fine as long as your spouse is also a virgin. This also means homosexual relations between two people who are virgins would also be safe from risk of a STD. Of course, who really knows what one's partner has truly done. I mean you could get married and your spouse could easily pass something along. And those kids taking the abstinence pledges are the same ones having tons of oral sex cause it doesn't "count." Though they might wait a little longer, they end up having sex, getting pregnant and/or a std cause they've been told condoms don't really work at all. They aren't 100 percent effective against certain STD's as mentioned above, but they certainly do help, especially with HIV (except the lambskin variety I believe) and pregnancy.

JJHawq 6 years, 9 months ago

Just like Algore invented the internet - W invented teenage sex.

sdinges 6 years, 9 months ago

Adriennerm:This reminds me of when I was in grade 7. We were watching a presentation from a guidance councilor and a girl asked to go to the bathroom. When she stood up, the guidance councilor asked "If you're only going to the bathroom, why do you need your backpack?"

And while she stood there, trying to stammer out an excuse, her boyfriend announced to the class that "Her period is late and we thought she was pregnant, but she's not, so she needs her backpack."

The guidance councilor stood stunned, and the girl started to cry then ran out of the room. Her boyfriend smiled smugly.

People don't realize how young they are when they get exposed to this sort of thing. Sex education starts at home. Even if you think your kid is an angel, you need to talk to them early and frequently. You need to check their AIM and myspace contacts, and have the computer in a public place (not the kid's bedroom).

a_flock_of_jayhawks 6 years, 9 months ago

An interesting note, Mr_Values, is that libertarianism is considered a radical form of liberalism, with primary roots in anarchism and minarchism.

jonas 6 years, 9 months ago

Right-thinker: Bush = Conservatives? omoshiroi da yo!

kansas778: Thanks.

misseve 6 years, 9 months ago

OH wow! I love how the threads quickly about the democrats, republicans, neo-cons and the like. THIS is about OUR children.

The way i see it is we have scared our children out of talking to us about sex. The abstinence only policy is flawed. The folks teaching this are using a scare tactic and the kids are doing things without talking to a parent or adult. HENCE the STD's. I also believe that "safe sex" is a misnomer. SAFER perhaps but nothing is truly flawless. Teen pregnancy is up and its rising in ALL communities not just the black one as some idiot wanted to insinuate. I have been there as a teen mother who didn't have another child for 10 years. I was scared to death to "try" sex again. As a responsible adult I have even been blessed to NOT have contracted a STD. Education NOT scaring these kids is key. My son and I have candid conversations about how to be safer.

a_flock_of_jayhawks 6 years, 9 months ago

R_T says, "See, it's hard, speaking for myself at least, to develop a consistent argument against the majority of LJW on-line..."

Feeling like everyone's against you, R_T? Say it ain't so.

To borrow a phrase from one of my fav movies, FMJ - "How about getting with the program? Why don't you jump on the team and come on in for the big win?"

bliddel 6 years, 9 months ago

It is a shame that so many here think this is merely another a political problem.

The virus doesn't care who is socialist or who is ultra-conservative. Neither do a lot of children - when presented with an opportunity to experience one of life's most magnificent adult pleasures.

The problem is partly a lack of good judgment on the part of children (to be expected). It is partly a lack of good judgment on the part of parents who think they have nothing to contribute, or don't want to get involved. It is partly a lack of good judgment on the part of those who think this is a left-right or good-evil or freedom-BigBrother or atheist/religious-zealot issue. It is partly a lack of good judgment on the part of would-be do-gooders who think they can legislate moral behavior.

The issue is public health. The stats are disappointingly gruesome, but they have historically always been that way.

You cannot teach good judgment. People seem to have to learn from their own mistakes, and unfortunately there are an awful lot of people making an awful lot of mistakes. Overbearing discipline and domination inevitably leads to rebellion.

I think I just talked myself into sex education, but I have no confidence in the ability of the public schools to deliver such an education. So, parents, put your emotions and preaching aside, and start educating!

a_flock_of_jayhawks 6 years, 9 months ago

Ahhh, R_T, what would we do without you? I'll admit to a bit of skullduggery there at your expense.

bliddel, misseve, and others posting in the same vein -- I agree and apologize for straying so far off topic.

bondmen 6 years, 9 months ago

I stand corrected. Earlier I wrote: "the AIDS virus is smaller that the rubber wall of a condom so can still pass through though one's been taught their practicing safe sex."

While "it's true that the HIV virus is smaller than the pores of a condom", "this fact is misleading for two reasons. One: The HIV virus is contained within body fluids, such as blood, semen, etc. So, as long as the fluid can't fit through the pores, the size of the virus doesn't really matter. Secondly: Even if a single virus could suddenly jump out of the fluid and through a pore in a condom, this would probably not infect the person with HIV, since a much higher dose of the virus is needed for its transmission."

Nonetheless "studies of HIV discordant couples (one partner is HIV-positive; the other partner, negative) have found less than 1% HIV transmission with consistent and correct use. Other studies have found condoms to be 96% effective against HIV transmission with consistent and correct use, nearly identical to the rates of protection against pregnancy." Still, 1 out of 100 to 4 out of 100 is still too high a failure rate for young people not wishing to play sexual Russian roulette.

Not all is just great for free for all sex however in the area of STDs "for STDs that cause genital ulcers, such as syphilis, herpes, and chancroid, and for human papillomavirus (HPV) infection, the degree of protection that condoms provide is lower since these infections are transmitted through contact with genital skin and mucosal surfaces."

Play it safe - keep it zipped!

kansas778 6 years, 9 months ago

I've been perusing that blamebush website, and it has got some hilarious stuff. Here's what they had about Martin Luther King day:

In in April of 1968, [Jesse] Jackson was standing on a motel balcony in Memphis, Tennessee when shots rang out. Dr. King...fell to the ground, assassinated by a white Republican with ties to Halliburton. He died in Jackson's arms, his last words something to the effect of "Why aren't there any black NASCAR drivers?" He would have been 76 on Saturday.

acoupstick 6 years, 9 months ago

bliddel, Agreed and well-put! In some respect, low-brow popular culture is the price we pay for a free society, although I often wish that wasn't the case. The recipe for raising emotionally healthy and well-adjusted children is clear: spend as much time with them as possible while they are infants and toddlers; provide structure, stability, accountability, and consistency; provide a dual parent household; allow them to make mistakes; carefully consider before pushing them; be interested in how they spend their free time; love them. And perhaps most pertinent to this discussion: don't raise them like they're stupid, or they will be.

WHY 6 years, 9 months ago

Dollypawpaw---- I would love to know what you think a liberal is and what level of education you received (outside of sunday school).

Jason Bowers-Chaika 6 years, 9 months ago

Also from the CDC is the following information about HIV infection rates among women who have sex with women.

"A study of more than 1 million female blood donors found no HIV-infected women whose only risk factor was sex with women. Despite the absence of confirmed cases of female-to-female transmission of HIV, the findings do not negate the possibility."

While the CDC doesn't comment on it, I think it is safe to say that the women who have sex with women aren't getting pregnant from each other either.

KansasEqualityCoalition.org

Jason Bowers-Chaika 6 years, 9 months ago

Yes Multidisciplinary, the Governor of Washington signed a bill giving many rights to domestic partners. Did something happen in Seattle?

A hard won victory for sure. But it's still second class citizenship. I'm waiting for the California supremes to give their ruling on civil marriage equality. Although, I wish that it wouldn't come in the middle of campaign season. I don't want to be a political wedge again.

KansasEqualityCoalition.org