Archive for Wednesday, March 5, 2008

McCain clinches; Clinton still alive

Huckabee drops out, while Democratic race remains tight

March 5, 2008

Herd for Obama

Environmental artist Stan Herd created a massive earthwork creation of presidential candidate Barack Obama in Dallas to coincide with the Texas primary.

The Obama earthwork is a rock, brick and mulch mosaic created near Obama's Dallas headquarters, in a lot within 10 blocks of downtown. Created with the help of students from a nearby high school, the circular image covers approximately a quarter-acre.

Herd has campaigned for Obama in Kansas.

— Hillary Rodham Clinton scored comeback primary wins in Ohio, Texas and Rhode Island Tuesday night, denting Barack Obama's delegate lead in a riveting Democratic presidential race. Arizona Sen. John McCain, an unflinching supporter of the war in Iraq, clinched the Republican nomination.

Clinton's three triumphs ended a month of defeats for the former first lady, and she told jubilant supporters, "We're going on, we're going strong and we're going all the way."

Obama won the Vermont primary, and sought to counter Clinton's claims that the night had been a race-altering event. "We have nearly the same delegate lead as we did this morning and we are on our way to winning this nomination," he told supporters in Texas.

The two rivals also competed for support in caucuses in Texas that began 15 minutes after the state's primary polls closed.

Both Democrats called McCain - a Senate colleague - to congratulate him on his triumph in the Republican race.

The 71-year-old Arizona senator surpassed the 1,191 delegates needed to win his party's nomination, completing a remarkable comeback that began in the snows of New Hampshire eight weeks ago. President Bush invited him to lunch - and an endorsement - at the White House today.

"We are in Iraq, and our most vital security interests are involved there," said McCain at a victory celebration nearly a decade in the making.

McCain's last remaining major rival, former Arkansas Gov. Mike Huckabee, conceded defeat after a campaign that included a stunning victory in the leadoff Iowa caucuses on Jan. 3. "My commitment to him and the party is to do everything possible to unite our party, but more important to unite our country so that we can be the best we can be," Huckabee said in Irving, Texas.

Clinton won the Rhode Island primary with more than 58 percent of the vote.

But Ohio and Texas were the big trophies of the night, rich in delegates and - according to Bill Clinton - must-win states for his wife.

Her share of the Ohio vote was 55 percent in nearly complete returns, and she was winning nearly 51 percent in Texas.

Obama was gaining roughly 60 percent of the Vermont vote.

In the four-state competition for delegates, Clinton picked up at least 100, to at least 77 for Obama. Nearly 200 more remained to be allocated for the night, 163 of them in the Texas primary and caucuses.

Obama had a total of 1,466 delegates, including separately chosen party and elected officials known as superdelegates, according to the Associated Press count. He picked up three superdelegate endorsements Tuesday,

Clinton had 1,376 delegates. It takes 2,025 to win the nomination.

Clinton and Obama spent most of the past two weeks in Ohio and Texas in a costly, bruising campaign, with the former first lady questioning his sincerity in opposing NAFTA and questioning his readiness to serve as commander in chief.

Polling place interviews with voters in both states suggested the criticism hit home, showing Clinton was winning the votes of late deciders in Ohio and Texas, as well as Vermont.

Hispanics, a group that has favored Clinton in earlier primaries, cast nearly one-third of the Election Day votes in Texas, up from about one- quarter of the ballots four years ago, according to interviews with voters as they left their polling places. Blacks, who have voted heavily for Obama this year, accounted for roughly 20 percent of the votes cast, roughly the same as four years ago.

The economy was the No. 1 concern on the minds of Democratic voters in Texas, Rhode Island and especially in Ohio. But in Vermont, almost as many voters said the war in Iraq was their top concern.

Comments

Steve Jacob 6 years, 6 months ago

I guess we have further proof the caucuses system has killed Clinton when she wins the primary an losses the caucuses in the same state on the same day. The guess has been Clinton voters are more blue collar and can't make the vote at a set time, and the way nobody seems to plan these right with the overcrowding everywhere.

Richard Boyd 6 years, 6 months ago

Everyone has the freedom to choose a faith and have the absolute right to practice and adhere to it tenants as the conscious dictates, likewise parents have the right and indeed a responsibility to teach these beliefs to YOUR children (with the least practical number of specific codified circumstances in which the state may interfere). I see no problem with religious access to public space, assuming strictly voluntary, after hours etc.

However, your faith and beliefs do NOT to extend beyond your family or house of worship. It is an absolute anathema for the state to sponsor such beliefs regardless of the euphemistic designation such as "intelligent design". Furthermore, religious beliefs can NEVER supersede public law in order to explicitly or implicitly to proscribe otherwise legal activities and behavior or EVER using a religious philosophy or dogma to gain a vested sense of entitlement to encroach on the rights and prerogatives of others .

One item I have grown to advocate the need to establish (some form of) universal access to primary care.

I had come to admire and appreciate Barak Obama. This might be wrong headed but I simply cannot suffer Hillary Clinton, it is not because of who she is ie. "woman" but WHAT she is, does and represents: shape-shifting, pandering, duplicitous, ruthless, unethical, less-than-truthful, underhanded, disloyal, poor-sport, manipulative... I could go on and on.

SO I am going to have some extra time this summer, it was all decided TODAY. Unless Obama pulls this out, I am going to march right in there, hold my nose, maybe even close my eyes, and pull that lever for John McCain. And here I was all primed to step off in a new direction; instead here we go with my former:

akt2 6 years, 6 months ago

I doubt that I will vote for Hillary, but I do like the "ruthless" in RABdad's description. That might be a good trait for our president when it comes to foreign policy. At least she wouldn't be playing ring around the rosy with these people, like I envision Obama doing.

Mkh 6 years, 6 months ago

The Diebold Democracy in action.

blessed3x 6 years, 6 months ago

Amazing. I am loving this election!!!!!!!!!!!!

The same people that gnashed their teeth and cried that Bush stole the election from the voters are now having their own people steal the election from the voters by not counting Michigan and Florida votes, having the weird system of super delegates and now throwing in the "add on" delegates that can actually accept "contributions" from the candidates.

At this point, unless Obama or Clinton bow out, the election can only come down to the super delagates and add-on delgates. Neither Candidate, reasonably, can win enough delegates to be declared the winner. I am shocked that you democrates can stand by while your votes are stolen by political fat cats posing as super delegates.

Simply amazing. Hypocrisy at it's most humerous!

Mkh 6 years, 6 months ago

Why whatever do you mean SRS?

Just pointing out well our new Diebold Democracy worked yesterday. I think it's great, states like Ohio have a wonderful election system.

I love and trust my govenment.

cato_the_elder 6 years, 6 months ago

Bring on the pants suits, and let the bloodbath continue.

Mkh 6 years, 6 months ago

RABdad (Anonymous) says:

"Boy, what a rotten year for politics for me, REAL enthusiasm for a candidate for the first time in decades!

I am traditionally a conservative: fiscal responsibility, free market, individual rewards in education and life limited only by individual initiative and effort without barriers of any type...I had come to admire and appreciate Barak Obama...Unless Obama pulls this out, I am going to march right in there, hold my nose, maybe even close my eyes, and pull that lever for John McCain."

RABdad, have you never heard of Dr. Ron Paul?

Come home RABdad.

chet_larock 6 years, 6 months ago

I'm thinking that the Obama campaign has shown an ability to adjust quickly and respond to adversity. True, they didn't handle the Nafta thing well at first, but something tells me they're not unaware of all the dirty laundry that Clinton has, and will be prepared to use it if Hilary's campaign keeps bringing up this "dirt" about Obama -- that's more annoying than anything.

janeyb 6 years, 6 months ago

Obama's speech was boring last night. Wonder who wrote it?

Hillary won the popular vote in Texas and Obama won the Texas Caucus. Hmmmmm? The news out of Texas is that it was the Texas Ruckus or the Texas Choas, but certainly not a fair caucus.

Once again, I went to a caucus in Topeka and it was truly unfair. Opening the doors at 6pm and locking them at 7pm on an icy night left out the working people, the handicapped and the elderly. People who could have voted in a primary before their shift started, on their lunch break or before the weather turned cold and icy. The Highland Park High School Auditorium was a poor choice for a meeting place--not even close to big enough. I stopped and bought a container of AirBorne on the way home--no telling what germs were floating around there with it being the flu season.

Mkh 6 years, 6 months ago

Windlass (Anonymous) says:

"Mkh is just peeved knowing that the neo-fascist revolution is pert near leveled to the ground."

HA! Are you kidding Windlass...McCain and Hillary...neo-fascism as never been so alive!

Mkh 6 years, 6 months ago

Bush/McCain 2008

campaign slogan: "hey, why the heck not?"