Archive for Wednesday, March 5, 2008

City to gauge support for curbside recycling

March 5, 2008

City takes first step toward curbside recycling

Leaders at City Hall want to know more about the city's attitudes about curbside recycling and how much residents are willing to spend to make it happen. Enlarge video

Lawrence residents Debbie Galbraith and Joel Wasson make their way down the line depositing their recyclables Tuesday at the Wal-Mart Recycling Center, 3300 Iowa. The city of Lawrence offers many resources for those who wish to recycle.

Asking for answers

¢ See the full survey here (PDF)

¢ The city has contracted with Olathe-based ETC Institute to survey Lawrence residents about recycling and how much they'd be willing to pay the city to provide curbside recycling. About 400 households should receive mail surveys this month. Follow-up phone calls will be placed to people who don't respond.

¢ Among the questions: How often, how and what do you recycle? If you don't recycle, why not? How important is having curbside recycling available in Lawrence, and how often?

¢ The survey also will question residents about their willingness to pay for municipal curbside service - ranging from "very likely" to "not likely at all" - at four monthly price points: $6, $9, $12 or $15.

¢ Results will be expected in April, with a report to be delivered to Lawrence city commissioners for consideration.

Tammie Finney isn't sure she'd be willing to pay more than a few dollars each month for the city to pick up her water bottles, soup cans, detergent containers and other discarded-but-recyclable materials at her curb.

But she wouldn't mind being asked.

"I would pay it, but I wouldn't do it blindly," said Finney, who drops off recyclables twice a week at the Wal-Mart Recycling Center, 3300 Iowa. "I'm an analytical person. Organization and efficiency are so important to me on every level - I lead my life that way - that I'd need to know: What's that going to cost me?"

She soon may get her chance to speak up.

City leaders are awaiting results of a survey to be conducted this month, one designed to gauge the community's interest in launching a citywide curbside recycling program.

The city already accepts household hazardous waste, collects yard waste at the curb and offers drop-off locations for cardboard, mixed paper and newspaper. But curbside collections of plastics, aluminum, tin cans and other materials to be diverted from the landfill would be a new level of service.

For years the city's Sustainability Advisory Board has considered curbside recycling to be its top priority - especially when looking at the matter environmentally. Meanwhile, the city's Solid Waste Division has maintained that such a program would be a financial drain.

The survey, expected to be a statistically valid representation of the Lawrence population, will be looked upon to offer guidance for city commissioners, who would decide whether to spend the money and raise monthly utility bills to start the service.

"This is an effort to bridge that economic discussion with the values discussion," said Tammy Bennett, assistant public works director.

Business is there

Chris Scafe, owner of Sunflower Curbside Recycling, knows the demand is there. He launched his business with 22 customers a few years ago, when Wal-Mart closed its community recycling center during a store expansion.

Today, with 362 customers citywide - "nearly one for every day of the year," he boasts proudly - Scafe is considering buying another FedEx-style truck and hiring employees to help keep up with demand.

Now he expects to wait awhile, considering the city's survey.

"If the city started doing it, I'd be out of business the first day," said Scafe, who charges $16 for once-a-week collections, or $10 for once every two weeks. "But, you know what? For me, it's all about recycling. If the city does it, that's good. I'm in it for the environment, so if they want to do that and put me out of business, that's fine.

"I just hope they'll make me a part of it, somehow."

Bob Yoos, manager of the city's Solid Waste Division, certainly would plan to start hiring.

Starting a municipal curbside program would mean adding 16 more collection vehicles, hiring another 25 employees and building a sorting center to handle the recyclables.

Estimated costs: $5.6 million to start, plus another $2 million a year to keep it running.

Translation: add another $12 to each residential utility bill for once-a-week curbside collection of recyclables at single-family homes, plus duplexes and triplexes. Apartments, residence halls, senior centers such as Brandon Woods Retirement Community, and other congregate living residences would not have such service, under such estimates.

Cost considerations

Yoos said that communities typically opt for curbside recycling once disposal options either become too limited or cost too much. Disposal costs in Washington state, for example, typically run $200 to $300 a ton because of high transportation costs and other factors.

Lawrence's landfill, located 6 miles north of City Hall, charges the city $19.15 a ton, and has enough capacity to continue accepting waste at its current pace for another 75 years.

"At some point it can become cheaper to recycle than to dispose," Yoos said. "We're not there yet."

Jim Tuchscherer, owner of Home Recycling Service, figures that increasing awareness of "green" issues will continue to build support for recycling. He has 220 customers in Lawrence and another 700 in Topeka.

"People want it, but whether they'll be willing to pay is another question," said Tuchscherer, who charges $6 for once-a-month pickups. "No community - even the most environmentally friendly community - has ever mandated curbside recycling until their landfill is full.

"Until it gets more expensive to throw stuff away, people usually don't get serious about it."

Comments

Robert bickers 6 years, 9 months ago

I suggest the commission seek out Penn & Teller's "B S" episode about recycling. VERY eye-opening and unbiased.

redmoonrising 6 years, 9 months ago

As I am disabled, it is hard for me just to get my large trash container to the curb each week, and I often go up to three. I don't have yard waste but pay for that. Would I be fined for not recycling? My last water bill was $47.98. The total for water itself was $7.91. And this is for one person. How much more would this add to that bill? Some questions that first came to mind here.

KsTwister 6 years, 9 months ago

"About 400 Lawrence residents will be asked to describe their attitudes about recycling, and then to say how likely they would be to spend another $6, $9, $12 or $15 a month for such a municipal service."

I can save that much by taking it myself, forget it. Our water bill is already high being most of it for city funding other projects like sewer plants(which we still don't have).

Unix_Admin 6 years, 9 months ago

I agree KsTwister. I just throw mine in the back of the truck every week or so to take to either Wal-Mart or that place on Haskell when I'm out doing errands. I sure don't want to pay another 10-15 dollars every month for this service.

preebo 6 years, 9 months ago

Jimbo,

Most in the know are aware of the logistical and cost issues with recycling, but we also know that if more people considered the practice then costs would even out as would infrastructure to carry out recycling on a greater scale.

Another issue that should be raised is that recycling does not nullify consumption. Conversely, people should also look towards buying recycled products (ie paper products made from recycled paper, fleeces made from recycled soda bottles) to further integrate recycling into the production line. As us Tree-huggers say close the loop, recycle and buy recycle, otherwise your just throwing your trash in seperate bins.

Ragingbear 6 years, 9 months ago

Lawrence wants a progressive image, yet absolutely refuses to do anything progressive at all.Let's recycle the city Commission.

Godot 6 years, 9 months ago

Lawrence already has curbside recycling; it is provided by at least two private businesses for less cost than the city would charge.

How much are they paying for this ridiculous study, anyway?

jafs 6 years, 9 months ago

Actually, the only company that picks up weekly that I'm aware of is Tree-Hugger, and they charge $15/month.

I'd be glad to have the city do it instead, but I'm concerned about the vehicles they'll use to pick it up. If they use the hugely inefficient ones they use to pick up trash, they'll get about 6mpg.

If fairly efficient vehicles are used, I think it's a better system than having each of us take our stuff individually, from an environmental perspective, providing enough residents use the system.

supercowbellninja 6 years, 9 months ago

Love this idea and hope it happens - I hate how much effort it takes to recycle anything in this town that is allegedly so green and progressive.

preebo 6 years, 9 months ago

Jafs,

I believe you are right. I use Tree-Hugger and they are the cheapest and the most reliable service. Every week at 9:00 AM Traci is there like clockwork to gather our recycling. If the city does provide the service I would like to see them contract the service out to her.

Mark Zwahl 6 years, 9 months ago

City-based curbside recycling is a no-brainer. It should have been happening decades ago. And, I fear there will not be support until we have to actually pay for the non-recyclable waste we produce. Does it make sense that my 1+ bags a week costs the same as my neighbor's 8 - 10 bags per week? I think not. Plus, might we make different purchasing decisions if we had to consider the waste?

tnfats 6 years, 9 months ago

Well, I'm one of the 362 that use Sunflower. It's great, regardless of my feelings about recycling (and btw, I don't care to hear about any of your slanted, dogmatic views on recycling - either way).

Why is it great? Well...for one, if I want to stop paying, I can. Second, it's nice to support a local small business and reward entrepreneurship instead of demanding it be swallowed up by an already bloated city service. Finally, why oh why should our city spend millions of dollars (we don't have) when there is already a cost-effective, private alternative? They can try to sell a mandatory $12 a month fee all they like, but that ignores the hidden and opportunity costs of a city initiative (but I guess we could always raise taxes to fix that); not to mention it pushes enterprising business owners like Chris out of business.

Oh, and I can't resist: Penn Jillette's BS, unbiased?! Hahahahaha! I know, I know, a heavily edited show where you're presented 'facts' in a vacuum and interviews designed to discredit anyone against the message has to be "fair and balanced" - I mean, the host (who is only doing the show out of pure magnanimous service to humanity), says it's true. The TV would never lie, right? Right?

tvc 6 years, 9 months ago

CLO picks up weekly, and I want to continue to support them!

Frederic Gutknecht IV 6 years, 9 months ago

If everyone did their .00000000001 percent for the environment, then the world would go to hell in a hand basket .00000000001 more slowly...and wouldn't that be .00000000001% better? You bet it would! Recycle!

Of course, if people began to really care about this planet then...about 6,000,000,000 people would have just begun to care about this planet...not gonna happen...wouldn't be prudent at this juncture!~)

By the way, I recycle...but I feel really stupid doing so. It does mean that the pard and I only put out about one bag of trash a week...and that there's a big pile of coffee grounds, eggs shells, citrus rinds and banana peels in the back yard.

My preference is to reduce my impact by only drinking wine and eating cheese on crusty bread. Glass is recyclable and drinking too much wine will reduce my carbon footprint in the not too distant future. Eat, drink and be merry y'all...!~)

salad 6 years, 9 months ago

"Whether any of you want to admit it or not, Marion's post has an incredible amount of merit. Read it. Learn it. Recycling costs too much, in too many ways!!"

Marion's post is inherrently flawed and based on personal opinion, not any kind of actual fact. There is a fundamental falsehood in every single one of Marions points, but there's also some stuff that's correct; it's hard to separate that wheat from the chaff with him. Recyling costs are minimal at best, (un)-Informed, and should only be passed on to the consumer in the form of fines for failing to recycle. As the infrastructure contiues to improve, recyling costs will come down.
If you aren't recycling, you're part of the problem, not part of the solution.

JayhawkBrandon 6 years, 9 months ago

I would gladly pay $15 per month. This is something that should have been done long ago. People who are complaining about the $15 could stop buying $15 worth of something else per month to compensate. All of us waste money, this would be a good cause.

tnfats 6 years, 9 months ago

After reading some of the comments posted whilst I typed, I want to add: This should not be about recycling good vs. recycling bad. The very word recycling carries connotations and associations with it (for example, count the number of times the names "hippies" or "treehuggers" are used) that emotionally define recycling. People feel passionately about it, which is good no matter what their take on it. But making a decision on the good/bad debate is thinking with your heart - not the wisest business decision.

The real question for Lawrencians is this: What do we gain as a community from a Mandatory Governmental recycling program? A higher water bill. What do we lose? The notion that a private enterprise can find a niche need and found a business to meet it. And money. Lots of our tax money.

The question is: Why the city? It's not like there isn't a recycling service (curbside or not) available. Let the city spend a limited budget on services that aren't otherwise available or privately feasible.

Oracle_of_Rhode 6 years, 9 months ago

I already pay from private curbside recycling, so I'd be more than happy to have the city take over this function. Lawrence needs to join the 21st century and recycle: I've lived in many places, and this is the first community where I've lived without curbside recycling. It makes Lawrence look a bit backwards. It's time to change that!

Meatwad 6 years, 9 months ago

I'd pay more for recycling. But I'm okay taking my recycling also. My biggest concern with curbside recycling is something I've experienced in other cities. All night before recycling day, we will hear the sound of homeless people or can collectors going through the bins. It's loud.

black_butterfly 6 years, 9 months ago

I would be willing to pay for curbside recycling, but no more than $5.00 or $10.00 extra per month. I am tired of having $70.00- 80.00 water bills when the actual water usage is about $15.00-20.00. I realise that sewer and sanitation costs, but between utilities and rent/real estate prices in Lawrence, it is very difficult to pay basic living expenses even with a decent income.

toefungus 6 years, 9 months ago

If it is a tax, I oppose it. If it is voluntary and you sign up and pay, then fine. I would like to see the trash service privatized.

sfjayhawk 6 years, 9 months ago

Oracle, - I agree. It is pretty redneck not to recycle.

plainspeaking 6 years, 9 months ago

With the current number of households recycling, private firms provide curbside recycling more efficiently and cheaply. End of story.

The city's cost of buying those gas (or diesel) guzzling trucks and hiring new employees is a significant - and ongoing - cost that someone has to pay for - even if s/he doesn't want it.

Also, according to the 2000 Census, rental units make up a healthy percentage of local housing - perhaps as high as 48%. But under the city's plan - no recycling for these residents.

Marcus DeMond 6 years, 9 months ago

Keep in mind it costs money to pick it up as trash and bury it in a landfill. I recycle everything Wal-Mart accepts and the volume is quite large. I dont even have to put out my one trash can every week. I think some of the costs to recycle will be offset with savings in traditional landfill collection. Our landfill is going to be full in 75 years at current pace and recycling now will extend that for sure. If local guys in town can do it for under $10 bucks a month, a city-wide, large-scale operation should be able to it for less. It would definitely be worth it for me if I did not have to divide my recycling and could just put it into one big bin to get sorted elsewhere. It's a smart move for the city that will be embraced by the smart people in this town. The cheapskate old farts who dont give a crap about anything but themselves will obviously disagree.

Mark Zwahl 6 years, 9 months ago

You know, as much as I appreciate the local recycling companies, it doesn't make sense to have them all driving all over town picking up something here and there. Just like it doesn't make sense for everybody to drive their vehicles to Wal Mart for a special recycling trip. Whether it's done by the city of for the city (i.e. privately) it does make sense to have just one truck going up and down each street, not several. And that goes for trash collection as well - and it might very well be done cheaper by a contractor, as I'm not convinced the city has any incentives to keep costs down.

webmocker 6 years, 9 months ago

As much as I personally like the idea of citywide curbside recycling, the article states that there are at least two services in town that do curbside recycling for $6-16 per month. Thus, we can already get curbside recycling in the price range the city is suggesting.

Further, our landfill costs are low compared with the cities (and foreign countries) where curbside recycling is successful, so the city (our tax dollars, remember) wouldn't save much by reducing the amount of trash. However, to extend the 75 year lifespan of the landfill, maintain low landfill costs over the long haul, and encourage recycling, the city could charge for trash by the bag/bin, in place of the present flat fee.

With pay-as-you-throw, people could choose to reduce their costs for waste removal by careful purchasing, composting, and efficient planning of trips to recycling drop-off points, and stop subsidizing those who buy and throw out immense piles of matter every week.

salad 6 years, 9 months ago

mainah 6 years, 9 months ago

If Kansas would implement an at purchase deposit on recyclable plastic, glass etc. as some other states do, I believe that would help considerably with the incentive to recycle and solve this problem.
Since that's not the question, on curbside recycling in Lawrence: I'm all for it! and I would be willing to pay the going rate.

DixieCherokee 6 years, 9 months ago

Another college town, Norman, Oklahoma, instituted curb-side recycling on Monday (3/3); it covers only houses, not apartments. The cost is $3.00/month, added to our water, garbage, sewer bill from the city. We can't put everything that is recyclable in the container: no cereal boxes and the like, no cardboard but everything else is okay. We voted for curbside overwhelmingly last year but there are a few doubters (Oklahoma's stiff winds will blow everything into neighbors' yards, etc.). We've been long-time recyclers of everything imaginable; we welcome not having to take much to the in-place recycling centers and not make the trip so often. Surely Lawrence is as progressive as Norman, but maybe not. After all, a goodly portion of this State was settled by Sooners, and former Jayhawks!

Kat Christian 6 years, 9 months ago

1 - I don't have the time or energy to seperate my trash.

2 I don't have any place convenient to put extra tubs to put seperate containers in.

If I am charged extra on my utility bill for recyling I'll just put the containers in a trash can out on the curb and they can seperate them. I hate toting trash outside and I hate trying to remember to put it at the curb for trash day. My feeling is out of sight - out of mind. If packaging wasn't so massive we wouldn't have so much trash to throw away. I do save some things and recycle them for use around the house, because I hate to throw away things that can be used again. So in that way I'm recycling.

salad 6 years, 9 months ago

"salad..just what planet are you living on? Not this one I'm sure."

Where's your gripe, multi? Just feel like throwing out random pointless comments?

hk45 6 years, 9 months ago

Why doesn't the city use the empty T buses to pickup the recycling? No wait, they want to spend more money on something a very small percentage of the population will use. And, I'm sure the survey will cost a lot of money the city should be spending on something which will actually bring in positive revenue.

gccs14r 6 years, 9 months ago

Wal-Mart doesn't take everything. They're very picky about the types of plastic they take, for instance. If the City takes this on, they need to take everything. I'm tired of being able to recycle only #1 and #2 plastic bottles.

volunteer 6 years, 9 months ago

One is reminded of England's plea for pots and pans in the second world war. Citizens lined up to give up these possessions so the kitchenware could be turned into guns, bullets, other war materiel. Except, of course, the smelting of pans into bullets was not possible. It was just a feel good measure to boost morale, to persuade the people that they were involved, that they were helping the cause.

sunflower5 6 years, 9 months ago

salad Recyling is all free. Trash is pay as you go. The more you toss, the more you pay. There are also fines for throwing out recyleables. Everything is billed electronically: trash guys carry electronic tagging devices like our meter readers do.

YES!! I believe this would be most beneficial for our community. Sign me up!

salad 6 years, 9 months ago

Here ya go Marion:

"Curbside recycling" is a joke."

Un-true, it's the most effiecient way to collect household recycleable waste. This is why we have trash service, rather than each person hauling stuff to the dump.

"Where is the glass going to go? Know of any glass recycling companies in the area?"

There aren't any, nor should there be. You miss the point here that recycling commodities like glass needs to have infrastructure to get the raw material to the plant. That's what recycling programs put in place. Glass is problematic, though, because it presents a breakage hazard and public nuisance. Curbside glass recycling requires closed containers and special equipment. Even still, European countries still manage to do it, most through bottle returns. Glass is also a counter intuitive recycleable: it saves energy, not raw material. It requires about 50% less energy to melt recycled glass (cullet) as it does to melt silica (sand). Cullet is also more pure and is easier on the molding equipment. Now, one does have to collect and transport the cullet to the plant, but you also have to mine and ship sillica to the plant. Bottom line is that recycling glass is a HUGE energy savings for the manufacturer; they LOVE cullet.

"What about the plastic? How close is a plastics "recycling" company?" Again, missing the point: the concept that the recycled material end user must be local is faulty economy.

"Metal scrap? Throw it into your car trunk or the basket n your bicycle and haul it to the scrapyard, where they will pay you for it!"

I have no problem with this, although for most people, this would be monumentally inconvenient. We should support local business though. If you have 150 lb. of old copper pipe, you SHOULD take it to a local guy.

salad 6 years, 9 months ago

"Paper scrap? It will decompose in the landfill and produce useable methane or someone has to pay to have it baled, loaded and hauled to the "recycler" in Kansas City or Topeka. Most paper is made from purpose-grown trees anyway so no one is out there cutting giant redwoods to make comic books."

OK, true about the trees, 100%. False about the landfill and baling. Used paper, esp. cardboard is valuable in making lower grades of paper cheaply. The bulkiness and cost of shipping is the only hitch. It has been widely demonstrated, that if you excavate an old land fill down about 50-60 feet, you can easily pull out a 100 yr. old paper, open it up and read it. Landfills discourage decomposition after about the first 5 feet or so. As more stuff piles on it becomes an anaerobic environment. They do evolve a small amount of methane, which SHOULD be captured and reused.

"Tires? Landfill; there is currently no way to "recycle" tires in any sort of ecomomic manner and people are unwilling to pay for setting up the infrastructure."

Huh? You have to pay a disposal fee for your old tires when you get new ones. I think it's currently about $2/tire. They ship em to a plant that shreds em and does all kinds of stuff with em. Tires can also be converted to syngas in a gasification plant, just like coal. The CO2 is captured and compressed to be used in industry & mining.

"E-waste?Don't get me started."

Nah...let's get you started. Granted, this stuff IS a problem, but it can be handled if we set up the infrastructure to deal with it. Circuit boards are a richer source of gold and silver than raw ore in many cases. I've seen a machine at a plant in Switzerland that crushes the boards and cases, separates via density, and spits out raw plastic pellets, lead & copper pellets, and about once a week: a solid gold wafer.

"Folks think that "recycling" of all things is suchagoodandgreenandwonderful idea but folks are not willing to pay for it and unless and until they are, there will be no "recycling" of any significance, other than "recycling" of those article which can be "recyceld" profitably."

I only disagree that folks are not willing to pay for it. We will run out of landfill space, KCMO already is, and are looking at requiring household recycling as a long term solution. This was in the KC Star a couple weeks ago. If we pay to recycle, the costs will go down as infrastructure and efficiency improve. If we throw away, costs will slowly increase as we have to pay for landfills and dealing with increasingly stringent environmental regulations.

Sorry for hogging all the bandwidth.

Linda Klinker 6 years, 9 months ago

Residents of Lawrence are great recyclers. WE have a 34% recycling rate which is better than some communities with curbside recycling. The city has done an excellent job providing us with curbside grass/leaves pickup and cardboard, newspaper, mixed paper bins that are located at convenient sites so that you can drop off recycling before you grocery shop. If you want curbside, call a private company.

KsTwister 6 years, 9 months ago

Recycling is not a bad thing. Trusting that money to fund it will not get funneled into a different project fund or rate increases periodically to do so is quite another. Not a skeptic, just conscious with our past city practices.

Bowhunter, you need a tune up or something on that vehicle.

d_prowess 6 years, 9 months ago

I knew this story would give me some good comments to read for the day. I especially like the one about not having the time or energy to recycle. I guess for some that reason is good enough to ignore any possible earthly benefits that come from recycling. I like the idea of the city starting curbside recycling because I think more people will do it then. Even though there are other options now, we all know there are people out there that would not start until the city offered it. And this would then add some time to the 75 years we have left on the landfill (which to me does not seem like a long time!) Maybe even 75 years from now, someone's kid or grandkid on these boards will be thankful for not having to deal with a landfill issue...

jumpin_catfish 6 years, 9 months ago

I yote NO, if I wanted to recycle I'd take it to the evil Walmart.

Robert bickers 6 years, 9 months ago

"I would suggest that you stop getting your world perspective from second-rate Vegas magic acts and failed game show hosts and read up on it on your own."

You know what they say when you assume . . .

Ahh, I do love the pretension rampant in these places.

Robert bickers 6 years, 9 months ago

For the record, I walk my cans over to the recycling. Exercise helps offset their contents.

inatux 6 years, 9 months ago

No. No more forced expenses no matter how small it is.

My family works to reduce our "footprint" so a mandatory recycling service isn't needed. When it is, it would still cost me less to just wait until I head to Wally World the next time and drop off my recycling goods there.

MaryKatesPillStash 6 years, 9 months ago

I just moved back to Lawrence from Mission. Mission has a tremendous curb-side recycling program.

Here's how it works--if you wish to participate in curbside recycling, you go to City Hall and pick up a recycling bin. You put your recyclables in that, and a separate vehicle picks it up. The trash people come through and pick up your trash.

If you don't want to recycle, fine. Don't. If you want to recycle, you're allowed to have just as much trash. Most people on our block had less than one trash bag per week. Those who had more did not use the green recycling bin.

It is inefficient to recycle glass in our area. Plastics (the number 1 and 2 type), aluminum, and paper recycling in our region will not produce more emissions/waste than simply throwing it away. Yes, you must send it via inefficient trucks to a recycling facility. But you also send trash via inefficient trucks to dumps.

salad 6 years, 9 months ago

Marion has a valid point about the infrastructure being insufficient at the moment. It is, however, getting better every month. Most of the costs of shipping and handling of things like glass are paid for by end users or brokers. OP has a pretty well established program, but I don't know how it's paid for. I see no reason why Lawrence can't do the same. True that there is lots of landfill space, but no one will lisence a new landfill anywhere around here (NIMBY). The landfill limit is a valid argument. I think it would be easier to commision a crude oil refinery in west lawrence than a landfill anywhere Douglas county.

Linda Aikins 6 years, 9 months ago

Redmoon, do you ever post something that is NOT about you and your ailments and your life's troubles?

BigPrune 6 years, 9 months ago

In the spirit of our former City Commissioners and their fight against the Patriot Act, the City of Lawrence should be suing Al Gore and the fraud he perpetuates regarding global warming and the carbon credit scam.

Now THAT would be something we should do to get Lawrence in the headlines instead of concentrating on all this expensive curbside recycling nonsense. Doesn't Walmart haul most of that recycle crap to the dump anyway because people don't know how to remove paper labels from their milk jugs? NOT worth $12.00 a month, that is for sure. No, sue Al Gore and let's give the impression that we are conservative so we can get some employers to town.

Tony Kisner 6 years, 9 months ago

Why is the City targeting these two businesses? What's next a study to determine if enough interest exists in organic produce and hemp products so we can shut down the Merc? Look out citizens of Lawrence if you start a successful green company with a large potential market the City will soon appropriate the market for themselves by levying mandatory fees for the services you want to provide.

Nice grab = estimated fees to cover expenses minimum of $2+ million? Who/what is next the Cities local barber shops? City owned Breweries?

matahari 6 years, 9 months ago

I noticed two piles of 'recyclables' ready for pick up this morning not more than a few whrot blocks of 12th and Haskell...who in the world it THAT busy? (the took all that time to cut up their cereal boxes!)

redmoon, just a suggestion turnm your city cans back in, purchase some el cheapo small conatianers so you can manage them yourself~

MrMister 6 years, 9 months ago

The solution to curbside recycling is simple. Allow no more than two 30 gallon bags per houshold at the base fee. Sell stamps for those people who wish to throw out more bags. When people have to pay extra to throw out their trash, they will consider diverting funds to the private recyclers already out there. The city could reduce the number of trash trucks driving around town. That would reduce costs of fuel and maintenance as well as reduce emissions. But by all means keep the private companies out there. The competition for bisiness is the only thing that will keep it affordable to the majority of the population.

Now to the City Commission: My study of the issue is complete. The most practicle solution has been posted above. Please remit my fee of $2.5 million. Thank-you

Eileen Jones 6 years, 9 months ago

The city ought to have a recycling center managed by THEM that we could take recyclables to.

It would probably cost too much to have them pick stuff up at the curb.

If they decide to do this, they need to make it mandatory - for everyone - as Portland does and has done for many years. That way it won't be a complete waste of time for all.

gccs14r 6 years, 9 months ago

60 gallons of trash a week? That's a huge amount. My girlfriend and I produce about 8 gallons a week, most of which is recyclable stuff that Wal-Mart doesn't take. If we could recycle everything that's recyclable, we'd have almost no trash.

pace 6 years, 9 months ago

Yoo's had no experiance in sanitation and runs it like it was running 30 years ago. He will come out with costs and designs that lie about what it would cost to recycle curbside. It would not take 16 new trucks to run a program, it could if Yoos designed it. If the program collected paper/cardboard products once a month, it would take one to two trucks and would increase the current trash trucks capacity. That may not be often enough but if the commission leaves it to Yoos, we won't get boo. The types of curbside collection vary across the country. The ones that include plastic and glass cost the most. One should look at the materials, their markets and design a simple beginning program that one could build on.