Archive for Monday, March 3, 2008

Cause of fire remains under investigation

March 3, 2008

Two injured in house fire near Lecompton

Crews responded to a house fire on Highway 40 Saturday night. According to the Douglas County Sheriff's Department, two women who lived in the home were taken to LMH for treatment. Enlarge video

The cause of a fire that broke out in a home near Lecompton on Saturday night is still under investigation, according to the Douglas County Sheriff's Office.

The interior the home, where about 30 rescued parrots were housed, was lost, though the structure was saved, said Lt. Kari Wempe. There is no damage estimate at this point.

The two women who lived in the home were taken to Lawrence Memorial Hospital for treatment. One woman suffered burns on her hands and feet; the other was treated for smoke inhalation. Wempe said an undetermined number of parrots died in the fire.

Comments

Jillster 6 years, 9 months ago

That the parrots died in the fire where they were placed as part of a rescue program.

Actually, I think it's very sad...and very crass of Multi to make fun of it in verse. Not only did these beautiful creatures lose their lives, the homeowners were injured and have lost everything but the shell of their home.

resqbird 6 years, 9 months ago

I also know these people and respect them very much. I run a parrot rescue as well and was one of the first to jump in with an offer of help. I've put their website on the home page of my own to help them as well as sent personal money. One of my good friends went thru something similar 2 years ago and having known that pain first hand, I only wish I was close enough to do more this time too. Anything you local folk can do to help would be greatly appreciated. They are an asset to your community and now, more than ever, need your support. Thanks much for reading.

Jillster 6 years, 9 months ago

Thank you, Multi. I appreciate your apology!

lane928 6 years, 9 months ago

Thanks for clearing that up...I know these people and I guess I was too caught up emotionally that I didn't even think about that... And it is very crass to have made that comment. They lost absolutely everything...

lane928 6 years, 9 months ago

Like I said, knowing these people and what they are going through, it just makes me a tad sensitive.

We are currently trying to raise money for emergency purposes, with several parrot rescue organizations across the country involved. It's nice to know there are people willing to help them.

LFCT 6 years, 9 months ago

On Monday, I got a phone call from a grief stricken friend....not only did two of her birds die in this fire, but she was calling me to tell me my bird died as well. The people who had given my bird a place to call home were in the hospital. People who I have come to know as friends. Trembling and crying I signed onto the internet to find out more information......only to find that nasty comment from Multi. That comment was really uncalled for. Many birds died in that fire, the two women who lived there were hurt trying to carry out as many as they could. Really could you be more cruel. They lost their own pets, and everything they had built to give these beautiful intelligent creatures a happy home. They lost their dreams and almost their lives. I pray they never see your comment.

LFCT 6 years, 9 months ago

By the way Multi.....I don't think any of the birds were singing "Isn't it Ironic" I waited a couple of days to respond, only because I was so angry and hurt. You can't imagine the hurtful images of my beloved pet dying in a fire I've had to deal with over the last couple of days. Along with all the other birds, who I've grown to know by name. Your comment crushed me, I was so distraught over the loss of my pet, and the first thing I saw was someone poking fun at the tragedy.

Next time before you post a comment you should think about other peoples feelings. How you would feel if it was someone you cared about and you read the comment that was posted?

I'm only feeling the grief from the loss of one, imagine how the women feel who lived with all these beloved birds. They were like children to them, they cared for and nurtured these birds everyday. Imagine their loss, imagine their feelings...now think about your comment again.

LFCT 6 years, 9 months ago

Tragic Fire Takes the Lives of Saved Parrots

March 3, 2008 - We've just received word that there was a tragic fire at the Tall Grass Parrot Sanctuary in Topeka Kansas. Mollywood has worked closely with those at Tall Grass for several years and together we have saved many birds. From what we know, most of their birds were killed in this tragic fire. The owner of the sanctuary is in the hospital with 3rd degree burns to her feet, blisters in her nostrils and esophagus and smoke inhalation after she broke into the house to try and save the birds. The couple of surviving birds are undergoing expensive medical treatment for smoke inhalation. At this time, they have lost their entire facility and everything in it. We will let you all know when we know more. Right now they need our prayers and some emergency funds to try and support the survivors. Please help them if you can.

Monetary donations for Tall Grass: Please make check payable to Tall Grass Parrot Sanctuary and mail to: c/o Mollywood PO Box 28296 Bellingham, WA 98228-0296

Or you can go directly to this website and donate directly to Tall Grass Parrot Sanctuary thru Paypal.

Sigmund 6 years, 9 months ago

He's not pinin', 'its passed on. This parrot is no more. It has ceased to be. Its expired and gone to meet 'its maker. This is a late parrot. Its a stiff. Bereft of life, it rests in peace. If you hadn't nailed him to the perch he'd be pushing up the daisies. Its run down the curtain and joined the bleedin' choir invisibile. This is an EX-PARROT!! http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=5775099474392087542

lane928 6 years, 9 months ago

What is wrong with you people? Multi, I'm not talking about you...I, too, appreciate your apology.

Why would someone think a quote from Monty Python about a dead parrot would EVER be appropriate posted under this story?! I hope that you never experience anything like this in your life...and if you DO, I hope someone doesn't post lame comments about you!!

LFCT 6 years, 9 months ago

My last comment before was a post from Mollywood Avian sanctuary. I had noticed a couple of people had asked how they could help, and where they could make donations. If anyone is interested the link is above to their website.