Archive for Sunday, June 29, 2008

Overbrook man, 28, flown to Kansas City hospital following turnpike accident

June 29, 2008, 11:48 a.m. Updated June 29, 2008, 1:35 p.m.

A 28-year-old Overbook man was flown to Kansas University Hospital with critical injuries this afternoon following a single-car accident on the Kansas Turnpike near the West Lawrence ramp.

The man was unconscious and breathing, according to the Kansas Turnpike Authority.

According to a Kansas Turnpike Authority dispatcher, at about 11:22 a.m. the man was driving a 1998 Oldsmobile and as he entered the eastbound Turnpike Plaza at mile marker 202, left the roadway and struck a delineator post and bridge pillar.

The man was trapped in his vehicle. Emergency responders from the Kansas Turnpike Authority and Life Star responded.

A Life Star helicopter reportedly landed at the Tanger Outlet Mall, 1035 N. Third St.

Comments

bearded_gnome 7 years, 2 months ago

lack of info never stops Beo from looking like a d----d fool! besides what's listed above, here's some other possibilities:maybe he had a siesure; temporary blindness; passed out; paralysis; vertigo; etc. there are xeveral other medical conditions which could have resulted in this! what's really crazy is between this and the accident on k40, what's that make the fifth or sixth so far this weekend with serious or fatal injuries? maybe we all need one day where all cars are stopped and everybody checks their cars and themselves! I hope this guy heals well and has no lasting problems.

sourpuss 7 years, 2 months ago

Bad day on the roads in and around Lawrence. Be careful out there, everyone! I hope the driver makes a full recovery.

bearded_gnome 7 years, 2 months ago

well beo,I think it is pretty low to express that kind of assumption; he might die! his family might read this. and, I can't agree with you, there is so little information in this article! perhaps he swerved to avoid a wreckless driver, the real cause of the accident.

Boeing 7 years, 2 months ago

beobachter - I guess you know a heck of a lot more than we do. There could have been car issues...brakes, steering, etc. How about we hold off judgement until we know more, unless you have inside details.

Janis Pool 7 years, 2 months ago

To drive by an upside down car on an embankment next to a bridge and see people ducking in trying to talk to whomever is in the car is an overwhelming sight. That said, he is alive and the caring gentleman talking to him was a God send I am sure. I was also grateful to the gentleman who was standing in the middle of the highway risking his own life directing traffic. I have no medical or mechanical expertise, so I chose to drive on, and pray. As I will continue to do for him, and his family.

StreetPeaches 7 years, 2 months ago

I drove by that accident yesterday and was chilled to my marrow. One of the most upsetting wrecks I've ever seen. It would take alot of strength tobe an emergency responder. My heart goes out to the young man.