Archive for Saturday, June 28, 2008

Sheriff’s deputy killed in auto accident

Sheriff’s deputy killed while riding bike

Emergency crews are responding to a fatality accident involving a bicyclist and a vehicle, dispatchers said.

June 28, 2008, 4:02 p.m. Updated June 29, 2008, 12:00 a.m.

Lt. David K. Dillon, of the Douglas County Sheriff's Office, shown here second from right, died Saturday following an auto accident on North 1400 Road. This photograph was taken in 2006 as Dillon accompanied county commissioners on a tour of the minimum security and work-release area of the Douglas County Jail.

Douglas County Sheriff's Office released a statement about the death of Lt. David K. Dillon, 44, a deputy for the department's Jail Operations. Dillon was off-duty and riding his bicycle shortly before 8 a.m. in the 1900 block of North 1400 Road, just one mile west of Eudora.

According to a Kansas Highway Patrol accident report, Dillon was riding west on the road when a 20-year-old Eudora man driving a 2003 Oldsmobile struck him from behind, causing Dillon to fall into the north ditch of the road.

The 20-year-old driver was listed on the KHP accident report as Kyle William Van Meter.

"This is a tragic day for our office as Lt. Dillon was well-liked and well-respected professionally by our officers and those he worked with so diligently in the corrections field across the United States," wrote Lt. Kari Wempe, sheriff's spokeswoman, in the release. "Our hearts are heavy. Our thoughts and prayers are with his family and his friends and, too, which each of our officers who were privileged to work with Lt. Dillon. He will be greatly missed."

Douglas County Commission Chairman Bob Johnson said Dillon's death was a tragedy.

"I knew him as a young and very promising officer in the sheriff's department and a highly regarded deputy as well as administrator," he said. "It's truly a tragedy for his family and certainly a loss for the sheriff's department and community."

Arrangements with Rumsey-Yost Funeral Home are pending.

The highway patrol continues to investigate the accident.

Comments

BlackVelvet 6 years, 4 months ago

A real shame. Lt. Dillon was a good guy. He will definitely be missed.This should serve as a reminder to all of us how short live is. We should make the most of each day that we have.

bigjdbigpapa48 6 years, 3 months ago

yes LT. DILLON will be missed for all his good work he did even at the county jail, the different things he made happen out there, im a former inmate and he was good to me when i first hit that place, whenever i needed to talk to him all i had to do was put in a request to talk to him and he was there.when i first hit that place he told deputy hardy that i was his biggest challenge was to keep me calm and happy, cause of my temper and my suicidel threats of myself. and now hes gone and its hard for me and my wife to swallow. So with this we say REST IN PEACE LT. DILLON MAY GOD BLESS YOUR SOUL ALWAYS. tears tears tears tears.

yellowhouse 6 years, 3 months ago

The funeral line was long,There's an awful lot of cars.Folks came out of the restaurants, They came out of the bars.The workers at construction sightsAll let their hammers drop.Someone asked, "What is all this for?"And they said, "he was just a cop."Some chuckled at the passing cars,Some shed a silent tear.Some people said "It's stupid.""All these dumb policemen here."How come the're not out fightin' crime?"Or in a donut shop?""Sure is a lot of trouble for"Someone who was just a cop."They blocked the intersections,They blocked the interstate.People yelled and cursed,"Damn, it's gonna make me late!""This is really ridiculous!""They're makin' us all stop!""It seems they sure are wastin' time"On someone who was just a cop."Into the cemetery now,The slow procession comes.The woeful Taps are slowly played,There's loud salutes from guns.The graveyard workers shake their heads."This service is a flop."There's lots of good words wasted,"On someone who's just a cop."Like a debt that is overdueWe owe but can never repayThe thank-you's far and fewAs he worked to protect and serve each dayAnd when he got to heaven,his words were found sincereBefore the ones he helped on earthHe stood with honor there!

Amandak 6 years, 3 months ago

A truly nice guy and a great deputy. Always had a smile on his face!!

mldillon05 6 years, 3 months ago

i am David's youngest daughter Molly. Me and my sister thank you all for your support and amazing words you have given. He was so amazing this just seems unreal. Keep us in your prayers and thank you again.

rasta 6 years, 3 months ago

A sad day in Lawrence, this man did alot for the community/ I worked with him several times, I'll miss him he was a wonderful person, and fair to all. God rest his soul.

Bone777 6 years, 3 months ago

What a terrible tragedy. I know Dave and his twin brother and this is really sad. Dave was always a super nice guy, smiling, and a pleasure to talk to. I am sorry for his family.

Chris Ogle 6 years, 3 months ago

My heart goes out to Lt. Dillon's family. I can't imagine how difficult it is for his co-workers to assist at the scene. Hang in there folks.

repaste 6 years, 3 months ago

Look out for the bikes...! Please.

smartmomma 6 years, 3 months ago

Deputy Dillion was my D.A.R.E officer when I was in Elementary school YEARS ago...he was a really nice guy....sorry to hear such horrible news.:(

Shelley Bock 6 years, 3 months ago

As a defense attorney in town, I really enjoyed working with Lt. Dillon. Rather than thinking of him as law enforcement / jailer, etc., he was a people manager. He'd try to solve a problem rather than allow it to blow up. He looked as prisoners as people, not as things. I knew that if I needed help with a client, he'd do what he could do. He was always straight forward and honest; the type of person you could trust in a less than trusting environment.While that approach is really characteristic of the jail staff as a whole, Dave was the person who demonstrated it the best in what I consider to be the most humane and fair county jail in the state of Kansas.

rlmtyco 6 years, 3 months ago

I am sorry to of heard this, he also came to my school when I was younger and did DARE with us, I still have the bumper sticker stuck on an old chest at my parents house

sinkorswim 6 years, 3 months ago

Such an incredibly sad turn of events. Marion - Thanks for that link. I would hope no one would get kicked off for that. It's beautiful.My husband worked with Lt. Dillon. As others mentioned, we've worried about those co-workers who responded to the accident. Our thoughts and prayers are with his family, friends, co-workers, and all who knew Lt. Dillon.

Piggles 6 years, 3 months ago

How sad- two tragedies in two days. Deepest sympathy for all families/friends.

JeepTJ 6 years, 3 months ago

My deepest sympathy to Lt. Dillon's family. Douglas County has lost one of its finest. He will be missed.

EarthaKitt 6 years, 3 months ago

I have known Lt. Dillon in passing since about 1995. When I was an embarrassingly green reporter in college, Lt. Dillon was consistently patient, thoughtful and forgiving of my ignorance. He was the kind of law officer that earns your respect and builds trust between police officers/sheriff's deputies and a community. What a great guy and a wonderful person to have been a leader at the Douglas County Jail. George Carlin's Frisbeetarianism would tell us that Lt. Dillon's soul has flown up onto a roof where it is now stuck. I hope that from his perch up there he continues to watch over Lawrence!

BigPrune 6 years, 3 months ago

My heart goes out to this man's family and to his friends who had to work the scene of the accident. He was a nice guy.

vgmbug 6 years, 3 months ago

This is so sad for all of Lawrence, wonderful class mate of 1982 he will be very missed, even my son remembered him coming to his school for D.A.R.E and he was shocked to here this sad news. The Dillon family is in our hearts and prayers.

somebodynew 6 years, 3 months ago

Marion - If they kick you off for that post then the staff surely has no soul. Thank you.Yellowhouse - I NEVER thought I would agree with anything you post, but I got that poem and truely appreciate the feelings behind it. Thank you.big---papa48 - very nice to hear from the "other side" if you will. Good words.I have known/worked with Dave since I first moved here in 1980. I feel for his family and the other friends. BigPrune- you are right I think about the people/co-workers who had to pull up to that scene and deal with it.I have to go now and try to figure out my own way to deal with it.

TriSigmaKS 6 years, 3 months ago

What a tragic loss, Dave will truly be missed.

Bossa_Nova 6 years, 3 months ago

i'm sorry to hear about this. although i didnt know Lt. Dillon, i'm sure he was a good guy. peace to his family and his fellow police officers.

Rouleur 6 years, 3 months ago

While I didn't know Lt. Dillon personally, as a fellow cyclist I'm curious where the usual chorus of voices are that typically blame the cyclist when a tragedy like this occurs.Where are the internet lurkers that are always so quick to claim that cyclists shouldn't be on the roads to begin with, and if they are, they're virtually asking to be run down?Could it be that for many folks Lt. Dillon was a warm, caring and genuine person that as a Sheriff's Deputy obviously knew the laws of the road?While the specifics of how the accident happened have yet to be revealed, it's my hope that the next time someone climbs behind the wheel and encounters a cyclist on a county road, they'll remember that there are lots of cyclists out on the road that are also considered warm and genuine and are also aware of what their rights and responsibilities are on the road.Rest in Peace, Lt. Dillon.

derksenbob 6 years, 3 months ago

so sorry for your loss Meghan and Molly, we wish we could come to support you! Picked up Will today from Chicago, he sends his regards too! Your dad will be missed.... cherish the moments you spend with your family! Love you lots, you are in our thoughts and prayers.

mdillon888 6 years, 1 month ago

I am Dave's oldest daughter Meghan! I just want to thank everyone who has been there for me and my sister over the past few months! It a tragedy that no one should ever go through. But your thoughts and prayers have helped so much! God Bless Everyone, and God Bless my daddy! I love you and miss you so much!!!! Love, Meghan