Archive for Friday, June 27, 2008

Lawrence man died in motorcycle accident in southwest Douglas County

A Douglas County Sheriff's deputy measures the distance between just north of Lone Star Lake and the site of a motorcycle fatality on County Road 1. Douglas County Sheriff's spokeswoman Lt. Kari Wempe said a man believed to be from the Lawrence area died in the accident.

June 27, 2008, 7:18 p.m. Updated June 28, 2008, 5:55 p.m.

Motorcyclist killed in rural accident

One person was killed this evening in a motorcycle accident near Lone Star Lake. Enlarge video

Harry W. Stone, Jr., 40, of Lawrence, died in a motorcycle crash Friday near Lone Star Lake.

The accident occurred at 6:02 p.m. just north of Lone Star Lake on County Road 1. Douglas County Sheriff's Office spokeswoman Lt. Kari Wempe said the accident involved a single motorcycle.

Witnesses told deputies Stone was driving north on County Road 1 when he lost control on a curve in the road just north of the dam. The motorcycle went off the road and the driver suffered fatal injuries.

Sheriff's deputies blocked about a half mile section of County Road 1 from the north side of the lake to County Road 10 while they worked the accident.

Comments

wattyduck 5 years, 9 months ago

Great ride isn't the word... It was fabulous..... Thankx to all that came ... And a special thankx to all that helped with the run and the shirts and all the donations... My brother had a great ride with us... He was loved by lots... R.I.P> Bro I miss you so much.... Love ya....

GSWtotheheart 5 years, 9 months ago

Great ride Saturday for Wayne. RIP buddy. We miss you!

littlebro1 5 years, 9 months ago

Sorry it took so long to post a comment, but I just found the blog. I just wanted to thank EVERYONE that was at slow ride for waynes services. I know that most people would've considered it too informal. But, he wouldn't have had it any other way. He'd always been willing to lend a hand to anyone who needed, ad never asked for anything in return. The last time I saw him, was in april. Our dad asked him in the middle of the week if he'd come help paint the house that weekend. And he said, "of course", even though we live in colorado. He was there for friends, and family. And loved by all that truely knew him. So, I'd like to thank everyone that showed up at SR for his services, and those who that wished they could've gone. And, if I can't make it back for the poker run....you guys have fun, and be safe. Wayne isn't just a big brother to me....he's the one man I hope to be like. Sounds cheesy I know. But, how many people have no enemies? And if there were any...your lose. RIP Wayne I'll see you when I get there

R8RH8RHENDO 5 years, 9 months ago

Id also like to thank everyone who showed up. It was a great time. I loved hanging with Wayne's family and hearing storeys about Wayne. Ill be thinking of you people

wattyduck 5 years, 9 months ago

I just want to say Thank You all for your support we could not have done it without all of you... To the guys please always be safe and remember Wayne has your back and his wings will carry you all thru this.. Please ride safe and go on doing what you's always did.. I was overwelmed with everyone that showed up, I know my brother was truely loved.. And like I said before "if he didn't touch you heart, it was your own damn fault." Mom seems to be doing better and I truely appologize to each and everyone of you that she may have yelled at or blamed something on you.. She is really having a hard time.. They were very close.. Thankx for all the good things that you guys and gals are doing for him.. We greatly appriciate everything.. Ride on and be safe .. See you all in a few weeks .. And if there is anything at all I can do to help please let me... I want raffle tickets to sell and what ever... Love to all .... R.I.P. Big Brother... I LOVE YOU.. SIS

Buggie7 5 years, 9 months ago

I was there yesterday at SR too Kschick and it was great. I did see alot of people. some I hadnt seen in years and some I see every other day. Wayne did touch alot of people and as the pastor said yesterday he was RICH and WEALTHY in that dept. It was a wonderful send off and Wayne you are gone yet still here but never forgotten. To his family- It was great to see you guys I know this is hard for all of you and no matter what anyone says it will remain hard for the rest of your lives. Just remember that there are friends and family around you that love you intensly so if you need us just call.

KSChick1 5 years, 9 months ago

It's summer now, and lots of people are on the roads-riding and driving. Please be careful!

KSChick1 5 years, 9 months ago

Also glad to see so many people I haven't seen in years, and heard lots of others say the same thing. So if you reconnected with an old friend yesterday while you were at SR for Wayne's service, be thankful. I saw lots of people hugging old friends. Keep your friends and family close to you. Take care of yourselves. Somebody loves you!RIP Wayne

KSChick1 5 years, 9 months ago

It was awesome to see around 200-250 people at SR yesterday to remember Wayne. So glad to see that he touched that many people's lives.

lilbit 5 years, 9 months ago

This just upsets me to think that people can be so cruel and selfish. This is a discussion about a dear friend who we all loved and we have lost him forever, but people want to get on here and start questioning if he wore a helmet, had a few beers, was speeding a little bit? ARE YOU SERIOUS? Why are you even writing something on here if you didn't know him and don't have anything important to say? (I'm thankful for those who didn't know him and had something nice and thoughtful to say, we really do appreciate it). Do you think we really care about your opinion and concerns? NO! All we care about is that his friends (including myself) and his family know how much he was loved and how much he'll be missed, but then you idiots get on here and want to start arguments. That's ridiculous. What are we, 12? You know how the saying goes, if you don't have anything nice to say, then don't say anything at all...so beat it! We don't care HOW or WHY Wayne died, but we do care that he is gone forever and now all that remains are memories...which there are many great ones...but we certainly don't need stupid, careless people bringing up the tragic events of that day and questioning everything about it.Anyways...to the family, my thoughts and prayers are with you. Wayne was a GREAT guy. He was kind, charming, hilarious, and a good friend to all. I didn't know him too long, less than a year, but that time I got to know him I realized how great he was. He always joined everyone for bike rides, Poker runs, UFC fights, gaming on the computer, and then on our recent canoe trip. Everytime he was around there was never a dull moment. My greatest memory with Wayne was my very first Harley ride, with him, out to Lonestar lake. I was pretty nervous but we all had a blast. Actually, if you look at the tribute to him on the link posted, I'm on the back of his bike with him that very day we went. It was a chilly day but the thrill of riding made the weather unnoticable. Wayne was just a happy-go-lucky kind of guy. He was laid back and was always up for whatever. I know he had a ton of friends and family who love him and will miss him, but he will never be forgotten. This is a tough time for everyone, even those who have recently lost someone or those who lost someone in a similar accident. Please, be nice. Think about yourself in our position, if you lost someone and were being questioned about their death...as if the death alone isn't hard enough. However, there are some people, like R8RH8R, LittleHendu, and myself who have lost 3 people recently...and all this hatred just makes things worse. Please be respectful and just keep your mouths shut if you aren't here to send your condolences. R.I.P. WAYNE!! Gone but NEVER forgotten.

nhrafan 5 years, 9 months ago

Growing up next door to Wayne i got to see him first hand develop love for others, and how he accepted people unconditionally. He was ALWAYS willing to help and go the extra mile for family and friends. I remember standing next to him and (mr. Bell) at the Kid Rock Concert and seeing that laugh and smile on his face, it took me back to him as a little boy. His smile and zest for life is what i will take with me. All this b.s. negative discussion is completely irrelevant to his family and friends. Please people keep your negative comments to yourself and focus on waynes life and how he has touched so many people. Wayne always has and always will be very special in my life. Keep smiling Cuz!!!!!!!!!!! See you soon!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

R8RH8RHENDO 5 years, 9 months ago

An account has been set up for Wayne. The account name is Harry Wayne Stone Memorial Fund. At Commerce bank in Lawrence, Kansas.

mbnjb 5 years, 9 months ago

RIP Wayne,I'll miss him, he was like another dad to me, I remember one time I had a boy come over and hang out with me and a friend and as me and my friend were about to leave with the boy he and my dad started joking around and asked stuff like where we were going, what we were doing and stuff like that and almost had the boy in tears.. haha..I will always remember seeing him with the biggest smile, I can't recall a time when he didn't have a smile. I'll always remember seeing him on his bike with his harley jacket, and his sunglasses,or seeing hisat the kid rock concert with his black shirt, haha..Angels Among Us by AlabamaI was walking home from school on a cold winter dayTook a shortcut through the woods, and I lost my wayIt was getting late, and I was scared and aloneBut then a kind old man took my hand and led me homeMama couldn't see him, oh but he was standing thereAnd I knew in my heart, he was the answer to my prayersChorus:Oh I believe there are angels among usSent down to us from somewhere up aboveThey come to you and me in our darkest hoursTo show us how to live, to teach us how to giveTo guide us with the light of loveWhen life held troubled times, and had me down on my kneesThere's always been someone to come along and comfort meA kind word from a stranger, to lend a helping handA phone call from a friend, just to say I understandAnd ain't it kind of funny at the dark end of the roadThat someone lights the way with just a single ray of hopeOh I believe there are angels among usSent down to us from somewhere up above They come to you and me in our darkest hoursTo show us how to live, to teach us how to giveTo guide us with the light of loveThey wear so many faces, show up in the strangest placesTo grace us with their mercy, in our time of needOh I believe there are angels among us Sent down to us from somewhere up above They come to you and me in our darkest hoursTo show us how to live, to teach us how to giveTo guide us with the light of loveTo guide us with a light of love....Wayne, WE WILL MISS YOU LOTS!! but remember, ITS NOT A GOODBYE, ITS JUST A SEE YOU LATER!Love, Emmy

littlehendu 5 years, 9 months ago

lol freashpowder lol your crazy thanks for all the support that showed up at the slowridesunday it helped me meeting the family and some of the friendsthat he had that i didnt know i love you guys thanks rip stonycold

was_freashpowder 5 years, 9 months ago

this doesn't let him off the hook he still owes me 15 dollars from a bet

ltownwhitegirl 5 years, 9 months ago

to buggie. He was my smile. he was my freedom. He showed me how to live not just exist. To all of you who really knew Stoney thank you. Because as his friends, we were also his family. Today when we were all together you knew it wasn't friends and family it was all family. May our pain pass quickly, and our memories last for eternity. R.I.P. Stoney. I will always love you.

crosstownbytch1 5 years, 9 months ago

My thoughts and prayer go out to all the family an friends wayne was like a big brother and i will miss him very much and to all that know me i wa out of town and was not here to support everyone but if you need anything just let me know love ya bro RIP , love little sis AKA congobrat

KSChick1 5 years, 9 months ago

Sorry Gina, met a "Gina" recently at SR and thought it might be you...I agree, drinking and driving don't mix but a lot of people do it. Even if you aren't drinking and driving, that doesn't mean somebody else isn't. Or that you can be driving along minding your own business and get slammed by somebody else. We just never know when our time is going to come.Thanks to you and everybody else for pointing out that we need to be loving at this time, and not hateful. Unfortunately, some of the posters on these boards will hate anyway. You can see that some started a profile just to get on here and hate. Wayne's friends have NO TIME for that sh**. I know posters want to speculate about what happened but keep it to yourself. We know what happened and all you are doing is causing more pain. Beej, Hendu, other friends-know that there are people here that are thinking about you and your grief. We are here for you.

Gina Bailey-Carbaugh 5 years, 9 months ago

KS, I just read your question. I do hang out at the SlowRide, but wasn't there a few nights ago. I was there last night, tho. Drinking and driving don't mix well whether on two wheels or four. However, this is not the place for throwing around speculation on the cause of this tragedy. Share the love, not the hate.Peace

Buggie7 5 years, 9 months ago

You are right Beej. Dont give up on riding. I know you love it and the smile that was on your face the last time I saw you spoke measures about how you felt about Wayne. It was nice to see that. Wayne would not want you to quit riding he would want you to go on the rides and remember him and those who are still with us and want to get out and ride but for some reason cant. You and I both know that if we gave up everything that went along with the passing of all our friends and love ones that you and I have lost over the years that we would both be recluses. We wouldnt have gotten in a car along time ago or a motorcycle. We wouldnt drink at parties. We wouldnt even step off a curb. We have been through alot girl and will go through this too. You have my numbers, use them anytime and you know ill be there. Get back on that bike girl and know the wind around you and the warmth that you feel is Wayne now holding you in a different way. Love you B

ltownwhitegirl 5 years, 9 months ago

I have been on the back of Stoney's bike many times in the past few months, and I never felt safer. Riding with him was the best of times for me. He never gave me any reason to be scared, but each time we rode it was a small taste of heaven. He showed me the way he felt to be on a bike the freedom, the peace, and the beauty of the wind on your face and just leaving the rest of the world behind. That was his own peace of heaven. Now when I look up into the sky I will see his beautiful smile and hear his crazy laugh in the wind. Everytime I hear a Harley start I will see him. For a minute I thought I would never get back on a bike. Because to me everyone has a rider and he was mine. I always held on tight to him on the bike and I will forever hold tight to him in my heart. But I will ride again, because that is what he would want. I love you Wayne! And I miss you so much! Beej

brophy904 5 years, 9 months ago

2beers ,2 wheels,2fast,2much I told this to Wayne the first day he bought his bike ,and yes these may have been an issue or not, but as I have lost three freinds and now one of my GOOD NEPHEWS to motorcycle accidents this may be a good time to repeat it. To all of Wayne's friends and fellow riders take a moment and think about it. Yes ,I believe all people go when it is there time and they all serve a purpose ,And Wayne's purpose may have been to send this message so others may not suffer the same fate because he was that kind of person who never wished bad on anyone.God only knows how much I am going to miss that infectious smile and those hello uncle jimmy's I that recieved these 40 years, Ride on Little Knucklehead until I catch up with you in heaven cause I know you will be there

Northsidegirl 5 years, 9 months ago

Unfortunately, there will ALWAYS be people that have to "weigh-in" with their feeble comments and opinions. If you have any resemblance of a SOUL, you would just keep your crass-ass comments to yourself. This could be your situation one day, and you wouldn't want people saying bad things about someone that you love dearly. Think about it people!Kelly Boyle

mbnjb 5 years, 9 months ago

We as well have lost a dear friend. It's not easy to have to tell your child that one of the friends that we considered family would not be around. Wayne was a great guy, he would also be there for his friends, as his friends there for him. (just as in R8RH8R's comment, being there for your family and friends is exactly what he would do, even if it did mean "kicking a morons teeth in") Mom, Dad and Family---Our deepest sympathies go to you in this tragic time.To all of Wayne's friends----Mourn his death and Celebrate the life that he had. (as muttyduck said earlier---"That's what he would want".)To our dear friend Wayne--We loved you as family and will miss you. You will be in our hearts forever!Mr. Bell (as Wayne always called him), Jen and Em

repaste 5 years, 9 months ago

Open forumn, not personal blog, but rational people should offer love now, time and place for everything. Hang in there folks, stick close.

wattyduck 5 years, 9 months ago

Hey I Wayne's Lil' Sic want to say thanks to all of you for your support... We are really having a rough time dealing with this all.. Wayne touched everyone's hearts he knew.. And if he didn't get your heart than there must have been a problem with you.. He was an amazing guy.. Thanks Buggie and all that stand up for him.. He's gone who gives a damn about speed or booze.. Keep your mouth shut if you don't have a nice thing to say... We are having a hard time dealing with this alone with out your freaking comments of negative about my brother.. He got this bike for his 40th b-day and that is always what he wanted.. And by God he died at one of his favorite lakes ( where we spent many of days there together ) and doing what he loved most.. Not fond of motorcycles but that was my brother's thing... Buggie I am here and can't wait to see this mysterious face.. To you fellas that were with my bro thankx for being there for him in the end and always... May you all make it through this as the best possible , you are all in our prayers too.. We need each other and most of all when I go home you all have to help mom out.. I hope I can count on all of you and may you get my number from any of my friends if you ever feel she needs me.. Wayne and my mom were very close and now I have to worry about loosing her too.. Final to all that don't have anything nice to say please stay off here or keep your comments to yourself my family and Wayne's friends don't need you or your comments...PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You will read your answer of DRUNK or SPEED when the reports come out otherwise SHUT UP>!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! And further more NO there was NO helmet........May my Big Bro R.I.P.

R8RH8RHENDO 5 years, 9 months ago

Well I see you do not know wayne.He did not fast all the time.I know because I rode beside him alot. Why would you post if you know nothing about this? I can see from your post You didnt know him. Morons who post about things the know nothing about annoy me. As far as excessive drinking , I Never seen him drink excessive. I have on the other hand seen him kick morons like you in the teeth.

Lonestar1 5 years, 9 months ago

If one of Wayne's good friends was truly a "good friend" they would have discouraged his excessive drinking and speed.

R8RH8RHENDO 5 years, 9 months ago

I have partyed with Wayne alot. He wasnt drunk Krew..Why u want to be a Wiener?

Buggie7 5 years, 9 months ago

Krew keep it to yourself. No matter what the situation was this mans family is grieving and doesnt need your smart ass comments.

krewdeux 5 years, 9 months ago

I'm so sorry about what happened but..... I was out on the lake then and saw that guy take off and was surprised he made it that far. My only question is how many beers and how fast? My count was 12+ and 80-90+.

Buggie7 5 years, 9 months ago

My thoughts and prayers go out to Waynes family and friends. I grew up with wayne and hes always been a sweetheart. Although I havent seen his sister in ages we are the same age and went to school in a small town for a while and I miss her dearly. I just saw him at slow ride not too long ago and Ill always remember him as the man that has always had a smile that was never ending. He has always had a beautiful smile, and always will.

markoo 5 years, 9 months ago

Godspeed, Wayne. My sincere thoughts and prayers to Wayne's family and friends. I didn't know Wayne as well as my wife did, but from what I knew of him he was always very friendly and gave a "hello" every time I passed by.And to Charlie, I cannot tell you how sorry I am for your loss of your best friend. Me and my wife want to give you our deepest thoughts and prayers. We're with you, bro.

yellowhouse 5 years, 10 months ago

I read of a man who stood to speakat the funeral of a friend.He referred to the dates on his tombstonefrom the beginning...to the end.He noted that first came the date of his birthand spoke of the following date with tears,but he said what mattered most of allwas the dash between those years.For that dash represents all the timethat he walked upon this earth...and now only those who loved himknow what that little line is worth.For it matters not, how much we own;the cars....the house...the cash.What matters is how we live and loveand how we spend our dash.So think about this long and hard...are there things you'd like to change?For you never know how much time is left.(You could be at "dash midrange.")If we could just slow down enoughto consider what's true and real,and always try to understandthe way other people feel.And be less quick to anger,and show appreciation moreand love the people in our liveslike we've never loved before.If we treat each other with respect,and more often wear a smile...remembering that this special dashmight only be a little while.So, when your eulogy's being readwith your life's actions to rehash...will you be proud of the things theysay about how you spent your dash?

littlehendu 5 years, 10 months ago

yes the page is awesome some great pictures there of him and one i took when he was my partner on a floattrip that happend last weekend

R8RH8RHENDO 5 years, 10 months ago

SAS is a online gameing clan that Wayne and I are members of. He was loved there as well. There is a tribute page at http://www.sasklan.com/index.php

SASjj 5 years, 10 months ago

RIP Stoney cold.A man who respects and loves his mother will havegreat rewards in heaven.long live =SAS=Stoney Cold

B_T_L 5 years, 10 months ago

Wayne was a great guy ,fun to be around and always made you feel good to be with him. My heart and my prayers go out to his family and friends whom are my friends as well . R.I.P. Wayne S.

RyNo32 5 years, 10 months ago

I didn't know Wayne as well as some of you guys but in the few times i had to hang out with him it was great. He always made me laugh and was a great person to be around. My heart goes out to his family and you too hendu. I know you guys were really close. Much love Wayne R.I.P.

zaney33 5 years, 10 months ago

I just wanted to say(actually I really dont know what to say) His sister is one of my best friends and just seeing what emotions she is going thru breaks my heart Wayne was and is one of the very best people I have ever had the privelege to meet and be friends with!!! I love you Wayne!! To all his family especially "mom" and Charlie and his friends my thoughts are and will always be with you!!!"Sally"

KSChick1 5 years, 10 months ago

Hendo-I gave you, Wayne, and Mundy the tickets for that Indy race at the Speedway...saw you at the ballfield a month or so ago, in fact, I made an icepack for your ankle!!We were all together last night but knew you couldn't come over after you heard about the wreck. We all know how close you were to him...he loved riding so much...Glad you got to spend that time with him! We are here for you...When I wrote this earlier, I was talking about you-"When we were talking about him last night, somebody mentioned another friend in our group who was at home, couldn't come over with the rest of us because he was grieving too hard, and it was pointed out that they were best friends." Know that you are being thought of at this hard time!

calieerin 5 years, 10 months ago

My deepest sympathy goes out to anyone who was blessed by Wayne. It seems to me so many loved him and he reached alot of people. My thoughts and prayers are with you all. Mixtape Family

R8RH8RHENDO 5 years, 10 months ago

First Id like to thank you guys for all the suport. I was at the lake with him 1 minute before this happened. I hugged him and ask him to be cool just before he got on his bike. He told me he would see me at 8pm to help me put brakes on my Roadking. I know he had alot of best friends. In the last year him and I rode everywhere together. There is no one that I rode more miles with than Wayne. We rode on every poker run. We rode to the Indy race at Kansas speedway. Last weekend we put 650 miles on our bikes riding to southern Missouri to our canoe trip. It was one of the best time ive ever had. Plus all the countless Poker runs we went on. Last summer I let Wayne ride my roadking an I rode My Ultra all over. He fell in love almost instantly. Soon he bought his own bike and we were always riding somewhere. I have alot of friends that ride. But when I called Wayne to ride he rarely ever said no. If he did say no it was because he had to take care of his mother. Who he loved very much. I will miss this. Id also like to add I worked with Wayne for the last 2 years as well. I loved him like a brother.I have had friends longer than I had Wayne as a friend. But in the last year I spent more time with him than any of my other friends. This will hurt for a long time. But all the love from friends and family help alot. And for that I thank you people. I love you all. You know who Im talking about. We have a tight circle fo friends. And wayne was a big part of it. RIP my friend. I love you with all my heart. Ill never forget you my friend.

KSChick1 5 years, 10 months ago

glad you got pics of the float trip-I know you had fun! we'll see them I'm sure...Please everyone also keep the friend in your thoughts that was with him when the wreck happened. Love your friends and give them hugs and tell them you love them! Life is so fragile!

Northsidegirl 5 years, 10 months ago

My heart goes out to all of Wayne's family and friends. Such a good guy. Have known him forever (well, jr. high, anyway), and he was ALWAYS smiling. To all the people whose hearts were touched by him, take comfort in all of the good memories. He will be fondly remembered.Kelly Boyle

littlehendu 5 years, 10 months ago

thanks kschick1 and ltownwhitegirl it means alot to know there are people out there for support i wish you could see the pic i have of him on the float trip we took i am getting them deveopled right now

KSChick1 5 years, 10 months ago

ltownwhitegirl...B...you know I love you! I am here for you. You felt the love and support from us last night cause you know we all love you!!! We all know what you are going through, and we all hurt for him and you.When you're ready, we'll take a cross and put it out there.Please don't forget that you are cared about and we will help you get through this!!!

KSChick1 5 years, 10 months ago

I am not hating on anyone in any way...just saying that his name is not in the article or on the news yetit's a hard situation for everyone involved, emotions are going to run highI guess you don't really realize how many people know or like someone until something like this happens.LittleHendu...I know your dad and you are grieving hard. There is a whole circle of friends who are here for you...I don't know you as well as others do but I'm still sorry this happened.Makes me realize again how fragile life is, how many people care about you even though you don't realize it, and how fast things can change. Learned that the hard way losing someone very close to me years ago-all you can do is love a little harder, live a little fuller life, and remember to just live life with no regrets, do what makes you happy! Cause you just don't know when something is going to happen to any of us on this earth!

ltownwhitegirl 5 years, 10 months ago

I am still in shock from all of this. He was everybodies friend. Some of us who all still run around together after all of these years spent the evening together just trying to help eachother deal with this. To all of the Yahoos who had my back last night I want to say thank you. I have never felt so much love and support. This is going to take a long time for all of us to heal but together we will do it. To Stoneys boys Hendu, Squirrley, Mundy, Darwood, And lil' Hendu, if you need anything let me know. Love you guys, B

littlehendu 5 years, 10 months ago

i was out at the lake when it happenwe was having a good time throwing the ball aroundand jumping into catch itwe had been going there everyday this week to swim after workfor a few a hoursthanks for everyones support this is a hard time right nowfor me and my dad and his familly and the rest of his friendsyes there will be some kind of ride or poker run soonwe wont stop going out to that lake because of this tragic accedent but instead memorialize him everytime we do gets going to be hard to deal with wayne was my canoue partner on a float trip i took last weekend best float trip i ever went on i spent 10 hours with him on the river i was blessed with that i got pictures of him having a good timethanks again to everyone that is showing there support

wattyduck 5 years, 10 months ago

KCCHICK That was not Gina that posted MY brothers name.. So hate on me if thats what need be.....

caton1982 5 years, 10 months ago

They need to post signs better in that area, by the time you realize you need to slow down it's too late. I notice that in a lot of area's come to think of it.

Adri Pendergrass 5 years, 10 months ago

Let me begin by saying my sincere sympathies to family and friends as well. As for the rest of us, fatal accidents like this one are more easily avoided if motorists (bikes and cars alike) remember to put safety first. I was at Lone Star Lake around 6 yesterday and saw this man depart on his bike. He was not wearing a helmet (not that it always helps in a situation where there is a head-on crash, as some helmets are just as likely to snap your neck as protect your skull). He appeared to be going about 40-50 mph around some very dangerous curves, most of which are ill-paved. I too have recently lost a friend due to tragic, albeit avoidable circumstances, and believe me, no one wishes they could go back in time and say "please be careful, dude" more than I. My hope is that through this tragedy, those of us who are still around to learn from it, do so. May peace soon come to those who have been most affected by this terrible tragedy.

KSChick1 5 years, 10 months ago

When we were talking about him last night, somebody mentioned another friend in our group who was at home, couldn't come over with the rest of us because he was grieving too hard, and it was pointed out that they were best friends. That's the thing about him-he made everyone feel like he was their best friend. He was just always there, with a joke, a smile, that laugh...He was a genuinely nice guy, took care of his mom, loved to ride, loved to try to play Guitar Hero, liked to tip a Sol, loved Slow Ride Roadhouse.We're going to try to get a memorial poker ride together or something...hope the community will support this.Thanks

KSChick1 5 years, 10 months ago

Thanks Gina...I wonder if you're the Gina that was at Slow Ride with a group of us a few days ago? I purposely didn't give his name, it's not out yet for everyone's knowledge but I guess it's getting around.More details will come out soon but one of our friends was riding with him when the wreck happened. Hearing from him first-hand last night was one of the hardest things ever. RIP Stoney

trinity 5 years, 10 months ago

i am so so sorry for your loss. may he rest in peace.

wattyduck 5 years, 10 months ago

And may Wayne's best friend forever "Charlie" my "Other Brother" have the comfort he deserves too.. We can make it.. That's all Wayne would want.. I love you Bro's!!!!!!!!!!!

wattyduck 5 years, 10 months ago

To all that is there for us the family, there is nothing better than friends right now.. This is my Big Brother and there will never be another.. Wayne touched all of our hearts that knew him.. He was the BEST!!!!!!!!!!! Is the BEST!! I will miss him so much.. I cant even believe I am writting this right now but I cant make it home right now in my shape , but can we all just be happy for the good times with him.... He is a HELL of a guy and MY BEST FRIEND... And as I look at that picture I wonder about road conditions on that nice path by the officers car... And no Wayne did not have a helmet... Doesnt make him a bad guy.. Wayne just got this DAMN bike in Oct. for his B-Day and never thought it would be the death of him.. Please just let him R.I.P. With love his Lil' Sic...

Gina Bailey-Carbaugh 5 years, 10 months ago

KSChick1,My thoughts and prayers for you and your friend's family. As a fellow rider, I can appreciate the joy your friend felt riding. I can also appreciate the dangers riding brings. As the saying goes, "Its not if an accident happens, its a matter of when." Keep two on the road, friends.

KSChick1 5 years, 10 months ago

He was our friend, and a bunch of us have been together tonight-talking, crying, holding each other. His cycle gave him wings. Thanks for the kind things most of you are saying. I know there's going to be speculation about what happened, be nice please. This is very hard for everyone who knew him. Think of his mom, family, friends who've known him almost all of his life, and friends who may not have known him that long or that well, but that knew him. Cause it hurts. He was always smiling and laughing and cutting up. Nice to everyone he met. Be careful out there, somebody loves you!

Marion Lynn 5 years, 10 months ago

Smart:Let those people know that I am sorry for their loss.Not much else that I can say; I know that curve and it is an acident waiting to happen but that is the way that roads are.Darn.

smartmomma 5 years, 10 months ago

This was a friend of mine's brother......def. a hard thing to deal with

superduper 5 years, 10 months ago

God bless the family and friends. It could be any number of people I know. I've got a few calls out to friends.Often people think these types of accidents are at high speed but often they are at low speed with very competent riders. Animals, sun, loose material. That just stinks!

yankeelady 5 years, 10 months ago

I wonder if speed was also a factor, along with the loose gravel.

simplyamazed 5 years, 10 months ago

I think it is the same spot a friend of mine had a wreck on a motorcycle and he received serious injuries and almost didn't make it. He was life flighted and stayed at KU Med for a couple of months. Maybe some signage in that area would be helpful to keep this from continuing to happen.

eugunieum 5 years, 10 months ago

May God be with them. My sympathy to the family and friends too. That curve is a bad one for a bike. There always seemed to be loose material on it. About lost control of my bike there a few years ago.

bearded_gnome 5 years, 10 months ago

At the scene, officers were spotted measuring from County Road 1 into a heavily wooded area on west side of the road.---yes, I noted that too. did they need to include that, it goes on at every accident scene! maybe a newby was reporting for ljworld at the scene? ***wonder if [he?] was wearing helmet? accident like that, even if you have a helmet, death often still occurs. God care for the family of this [man]. just looks like a sad accident. this man had plans, family, friends, responsibilities, maybe was well liked. now, there's a big whole carved out in the fabric.

Multidisciplinary 5 years, 10 months ago

Okay LJW, I think the last sentence could have been skipped for the families sake!