Archive for Thursday, June 26, 2008

Northwest Lawrence Dillons set for expansion

Store at 4701 W. Sixth also slated to add about 75 employees

Another Dillons in Lawrence is getting an overhaul - and this one will come with an expansion, too.

June 26, 2008, 5:05 p.m. Updated June 27, 2008, 12:00 a.m.

Dillons, 4701 W. Sixth St., is scheduled for a 37,000-square-foot expansion later this year, followed by a remodeling of the existing store. One of the most prominent features will be the the addition of The Bistro, like the one above at a Wichita Dillons, featuring chef-created entrees and an upscale deli.

Dillons' newest store in Lawrence is about to get its freshest makeover.

Dillons, 4701 W. Sixth St., is in line for a 37,000-square-foot expansion beginning later this year, followed by a remodeling of the existing store at the site.

The project will add at least 75 employees to the 9-year-old store that already has 100 associates, said Sheila Lowrie, a spokeswoman for Hutchinson-based Dillon Stores, a division of Kroger Co.

No specific timeline has been set for completion of the project, Lowrie said, but the overhaul will include several new features. Among the most prominent will be addition of The Bistro, featuring chef-created entrees and an upscale deli.

A new seating area also will include a gas fireplace with leather furniture.

"Every inch of the store will be redesigned," Lowrie said.

The project comes as remodeling already is under way at another Dillons in town, at 1015 W. 23rd St.

The planned expansion and remodeling also arrives as Wal-Mart is preparing for construction of a new supercenter, to be located at the northwest corner of Sixth Street and Wakarusa Drive. The supercenter is slated to include a full grocery.

When expansion of the nearby Dillons, southeast of the intersection, is completed - sometime next year, Lowrie said - shoppers will have about 86,000 square feet of space to roam.

Along with The Bistro, new features will include:

¢ An All About You beauty section, with wider aisles, enhanced lighting and products that include fragrances and colognes.

¢ Three kiosks, up from the current one, for processing digital photos.

¢ An expanded salad bar, including organic offerings.

¢ Kitchenplace, a gourmet section featuring accessories, cookware, place settings and table linens.

Lowrie said that she didn't have cost estimates for the project, nor a specific timeline for completion. A site plan for the project is awaiting final approval at City Hall.

Dillon Stores, a Hutchinson-based division of Kroger Co., has four stores in Lawrence. The others are at 3000 W. Sixth St. and 1740 Mass., and Lowrie said there were no immediate plans for upgrades at those stores.

Comments

1029 6 years, 5 months ago

You don't have to ever carry a dillon's card. You can just type your phone number into the keypad instead. A couple of years ago, I had gone to dillon's and forgotten my card. I thought I was going to have to save my receipt and return with my card and wait in line at customer service to get my $2 savings or whatever it was, but the clerk informed me I could just use my phone number. I never carried a card again. It's strange that dillon's doesn't seem to make this more well-known. Maybe they think it is a form of advertising for all these people to have a dillon's card on their keychains.

welch 6 years, 5 months ago

Mr_B_PositiveThere is a BIG * difference between a super walmart and a residential business like a McDonalds. If it was zoned so close for residential and commercial, then shame on the city. PISS POOR planning. I see that they plan on doing some changes the the adjacent street on 6th to keep traffic from going through the neighborhood, should i except something to block off the traffic around and behind the Walmart. haven't heard anything. I also wonder what you mean by progress? 2 super Walmarts, 4 Dillions, 2 Hy-vees, a target, the Merc, a Checkers, and an Aldis... couldn't be a regular walmart, had to add more food stores.. good gawd

planetwax 6 years, 5 months ago

Does anyone care about the environmental costs to building a bigger store that we don't need? Or, does anyone care that virtually all of the processed food in the Kroger stores is genetically modified? Now that Dillons has stop renting out movies, I have virtually no reason to shop there, anymore.

fluxx 6 years, 5 months ago

Screw Dillons and thier little cards.

hilary 6 years, 5 months ago

You people are awful. It's "Classic Dillons". Not "ghetto" or "dirty". And it's MY Dillons. I love it.

HootyWho 6 years, 5 months ago

I wish Checkers was closer to me,,i think they have good meatI live not far from the 6th & Wakarusa Dillons, i shop there often, i'm not looking forward to the expansion, only because i'll never buy the upscale stuff they will offer,,,(i don't make upscale money), i like it like it is,,,

Mr_B_Positive 6 years, 5 months ago

Dear Welch & Stanggirl,That intersection was zoned commercial way before any houses were even built. If you bought an adjoining house then you should have done your homework beforehand. Don't play the poor pitiful me card now. It's call progress.Mr. B Positive

chapdaddy 6 years, 5 months ago

The best thing about the 6th and Wak Dillon's is that it is never busy, and the wait to check out is at least 1/2 of that of the other Dillon's. Plus, it seems cleaner than the others.

JSDAD 6 years, 5 months ago

gotta have bigger stores since no one can afford to eat out anymore

fluxx 6 years, 5 months ago

Jillster, you must be really bored......poor granny

hail2oldku 6 years, 5 months ago

I've had just the opposite experience at Checkers akt2. Besides never receiving assistance in bagging groceries, I've actually had the checker start sending someone else's order in with mine (or mine in with theirs) because we were too slow in bagging our own. In fact Checkers is one of the stores that led to the decreased service we all see at Dillons and HyVee. They went away from baggers and shaggers in order to keep prices down.

stanggirl 6 years, 5 months ago

I agree with that more than where its going now. Another big concern I have is all that traffic around the high school with driving issues....just poor planning if you ask me

superstarCSB 6 years, 5 months ago

The reason that Dillons was so small in the first place was because they wanted to rush as soon as possible so they could be there in time to compete with the Hy-Vee nearby. So now they're gonna rush around again so they can expand before the big bad Wal-Mart comes in. It's obvious they need this because there's never anyone there and if I ever do go in the employees are always just wandering around or seem like they're up to no good. But their backroom is a heck of a lot nicer than the one on Mass street. It's a nightmare going down into their dungeon...er I mean basement to get product and load it up on a conveyor belt. I'd say the Mass store needs the most improvement but I don't really know what could be done with it the way it was designed.

BigPrune 6 years, 5 months ago

I heard employees talking about this expansion since late last year. Glad it is finally going to happen. Will they change the entrance as well? The city imposed closure makes access a b*tch.

Camron Flanders 6 years, 5 months ago

Do they really need a bigger one? There's another Dillions just down the road...

lawrenceguy1 6 years, 5 months ago

I love the Mass. St. Dillon's!! That elderly lady that works there during the day is like a warm, loving grandma to this neighborhood.

trinity 6 years, 5 months ago

what's with people saying they'll never shop aldi's because of a "limited selection"? if they'll never shop aldi's then how the hell do they know about the selection? i've found aldi's to really be comin' along with the times. oh sure if you want some really exotic items i'm sure they can't accomodate; but i have recently found aldi's to have greatly expanded their inventory, since i used to shop in their stores years ago when my kids were little.

curiousgeorge22 6 years, 5 months ago

Hey folks, my spouse works at the 6th and Lawrence Ave Dillons ... it is not closing.

akuna 6 years, 5 months ago

I just emailed Dillon's to beg them to remodel the 19th and Mass Dillons. Maybe if more people do the same, they will do it. Here is the comment formhttp://www.dillons.com/customercomments.htm

bearded_gnome 6 years, 5 months ago

okay,I've got it:a younger, and single version of CuriousGeorge walked into a Dillan's one day in the past. he casually walked to the Deli. but before he could place his order, he saw HER! She was so sexy in her Dillan's uniform, he could hardly speak his order. He came to get potato salad, but he found cheesecake! right there, and then, he knelt to propose to her, between the roasted chicken and the chinese dish! her answer: "how can I serve you?" "marry me, and I'll take you away from all of this! you'll never see another shaved ham again!" "no, I can't leave, for I have signed a twenty-five year contract, repaying dillans for their assistance in gaining my college degree. if I cancel early, there is a terrible penalty for early withdrawal!" she said, ending with a screetch!"well, then just marry me and i will make your days brighter!""on one condition ..." "anything, anything, just name it!" "my wedding cake must be from Dillan's bakery!" and the two lived happily ever after.

sourpuss 6 years, 5 months ago

Aw, don't change the "Dirty Dillons". It has a smelly charm of its own (and everything is more expensive there too!)

akt2 6 years, 5 months ago

I avoid Dillon's like the plague. A bunch of overpriced merchandise that you have to take to your car. You have to stand in line, ask for assistance, and chances are you will be overcharged for something. If something is on sale why should you have to have a special card to get the sale price? I just shop at Checkers. The owner is always there and in plain sight. The employees are friendly. They have good produce and union meat cutters. They will ask to help you bag or carry out if you need it.

TacoBob 6 years, 5 months ago

What? Dillion's is expanding? In the face of the new Walmart? What? Walmart was going to run them off and all other businesses in the area. Hmmmm....The Dillion's on Mass - anyone remember Bernadette?

br0318 6 years, 5 months ago

You may be surprised Planetwax about what the new Dillons could be like. They just expanded and remodeled one near my home off of Urish in Topeka, to compete with a brand new HyVee supercenter on Wanamaker. The new Dillons is nicer than the HyVee, huge organic market, sushi bar, Starbucks, etc. I have to admit it doesn't even feel like a Dillons anymore.

Mr_B_Positive 6 years, 5 months ago

I hope it'll be a "green" Dillons addition.

hail2oldku 6 years, 5 months ago

terrapin2 (Anonymous) says: Jillster, they are talking about the Dillon's near 6th & Wakarusa, not the smaller Dillon's store at 6th & Lawrence Ave.terrapin2 (Anonymous) says: beobachter,I'm not sure what your comment was in reference too.-----------------------------------------------------------------------The Dillons at 6th & Lawrence Avenue is much bigger than the 6th & Wak store. That is why beobachter was asking if you had ever been in both stores.

hail2oldku 6 years, 5 months ago

Trinity - did you know that Aldi is Germany's version of WalMart?

unelectable 6 years, 5 months ago

I'm with you deskboy. gizzards are so good. Dinky Dillions on Mass. has a charm. Every type of person shops there. Professors to students, vagrants to Mass Street mansion owners.There is no need to expand the SuperDillions at 6th & Lawrence. Somebody heard that it was going to close? I'd like to hear more about that.

Jillster 6 years, 5 months ago

One thing my elderly mother likes about that store is that it's small and easy for her to get around in to shop for herself. I won't tell her about the expansion for now, since it will only upset her. She may give up shopping for herself entirely, since it wears her out to have too far to walk with her walker. Sometimes, for some people, bigger is not better!

stanggirl 6 years, 5 months ago

I completely agree with welch! I moved out there to avoid all the traffic and enjoy the peace and quite of being on just the outskirts of the city. Thanks to Walmart I'm not going to be able to enjoy that or sitting on my patio at night due to the fact I'm sure all the lighting that will go around their building is going to make it look like daytime all the time!

Jake Esau 6 years, 5 months ago

FYI:6th and Wak: currently 48,500 square feet6th and Lawrence: 60,000 square feetThis is according to an employee I know at the Kroger headquarters in Cincinnati.

terrapin2 6 years, 5 months ago

Jillster, they are talking about the Dillon's near 6th & Wakarusa, not the smaller Dillon's store at 6th & Lawrence Ave. I don't see any need for them to expand what is already the largest and newest Dillon's store in Lawrence. I suppose fear of the new Walmart is already spreading.

anneht 6 years, 5 months ago

What we really, really need, is another grocery store in the far east part of town, or an affordable one in Eudora.With the price of gasoline, it is desperately needed.As far as service, the people at Checkers could not be nicer.... all I have to do is ask for a sacker/carrier, and he arrives very quickly and is wonderfully courteous and helpful to me. The owner of Checkers is to be commended.

Keith 6 years, 5 months ago

They're trying to build their customer base in advance of the Super WalMart going at 6th and Wak.

bearded_gnome 6 years, 5 months ago

no, typing the phone number/carrying a dillan's card, though it provides you some teaser benefits, it is really so they can track your purchases. it allows them to do sophisticated market research on their own customers. the "benefits" they give you only are there to pull people into participating in this. many many years ago, used to shop at the dillan's on mass. will never anymore! you'd come in with the wednesday ad, on wednesday! and almost every time they didn't have the d----d product! you had to get a "raincheck!" insulting. don't know if they're still pulling this, they may have stopped since the "card" came in. but, when you use your card, remember, big brother really is watching and you're helping them to sell to you! do you really want that? and, curiousgeorge, we got it, twice. do you get any marital benefits being married to a dillan's employee? [that was intended as a joke]

Deb Stavin 6 years, 5 months ago

I wish they'd invest some money in the Dillon's near 19th & Mass. It's a dirty, disorganized mess.

Ragingbear 6 years, 5 months ago

Seriously, it sounds like they are trying to make some sort of Ritzy ditzy store. Which of course will mean their prices will go up. What is up with leather furniture seating areas? It's Dillons! We don't expect, want, or need to find that stuff in our store. Just provide decent service at a competitive price. It's like finding a Red Lobster in the back of a Wal-Mart.

scienceofsleep 6 years, 5 months ago

I worked at Dillions for almost a year the one on 23rd and I asked every person if they wanted help to there car. They still want the employees to do that but most are nervous to ask because of all the grumpy old people who get offended when you ask. So that is why they dont ask because everyone is secretly scared of mean old people.

Confrontation 6 years, 5 months ago

LAWRENCE 4701 W 6th (Near 6th & Wakarusa) Westgate Lc Property Valuations $3,501,900 LAWRENCE 3000 W 6th (At 6th & Lawrence Ave) Dillon Companies Inc c/o Dillon Store #68 Property Valuations $4,269,100

gccs14r 6 years, 5 months ago

I used to be a regular Dillon's shopper, back before the stupid little cards, when the stores were clean and the employees were friendly and knowledgeable. No more. As for the 6th & Wak unit, I can't believe 100 people work there. I've never seen more than 4 employees at a time, and they were more interested in talking to each other than in helping the customers.

HootyWho 6 years, 5 months ago

Dillon's chicken is awful anway,,,,so is HyVee's

Tara Painter 6 years, 5 months ago

They don't need to do anything to that Dillons. Its already the nice's one in Lawrence,there just doing it because of the up coming Walmart. If they feel a need to spend money on Dillons they need to fix up the one on Mass and 19th. DON'T WASTE THE MONEY!

Mr_B_Positive 6 years, 5 months ago

I really wish it was anything but a Super Wal-Mart too. But I'm sure they did their homework and decided that they would do well at that site. I guess everyone needs to eat. I think they'd do better out at 6th & the SLT. That will be the bigger intersection and not many houses...yet.

storm 6 years, 5 months ago

I love the normal size of this store, sorry to see that end. But hopefully, they'll train their associates how to sack groceries or at least show them the video.

Jillster 6 years, 5 months ago

Stanggirl writes: "I completely agree with welch! I moved out there to avoid all the traffic and enjoy the peace and quite of being on just the outskirts of the city."And you thought that the current outskirts would always be the outskirts of town? Don't blame Wal Mart -- if it weren't them, it would eventually be somebody else developing that land for commercial use. Lawrence is growing whether we like it or not.

Prydain 6 years, 5 months ago

The 23rd st store is the biggest in town by a few thousand squre feet or so. The sixth street store is next biggest. Not sure which is bigger between Waka and Mass. Also the Waka store was completed before Hy Vee opened if I remember correctly.

Tony Kisner 6 years, 5 months ago

I think I can count 5-6 personal attacks on a thread about a grocery store expanding. - Nice!Have a happy Friday.

Centerville 6 years, 5 months ago

Jillster: your elderly mother has to shop using a walker. Is there any good reason that you aren't helping her or doing her shopping for her? Just wondering.The 19th & Mass Dillons is my store, too, and I'm grateful that it's here. I think it's fine, especially considering some of the challenges that it faces.

Steve Jacob 6 years, 5 months ago

Don't know why people hate those cards so much. And I also don't know why they built a small Dillions at 6th/Wak in the first place with a full size HyVee near and they had to know more building was going to happen nearby.

kwjayhawk 6 years, 5 months ago

that Dillons on Mass St is a toilet. It should be demolished and turned into something else.Maybe a small walmart

curiousgeorge22 6 years, 5 months ago

Hey folks, my spouse works at the 6th and Lawrence Ave Dillon's ... it is not closing.

bearded_gnome 6 years, 5 months ago

A new seating area also will include a gas fireplace with leather furniture.---well, la-dee-dah! no place in a grocerystore.AKT2,agree with you about Checkers. good people there, all the way up to the owner.
oh, what about the carbon footprint of that gas-powered fireplace? what about the gas itself? not so greenie-wheenie, eh? [note, this is humor/irony ... I believe that manmade global warming is a myth supported by religeous fanatics]

KS 6 years, 5 months ago

This is throwing good money after bad. Surely they don't think they can beat out Wal-Mart? Currently this Dillons is NEVER busy. Folks, including me drive by on our way to Hy-Vee. The two price system sucks. If they don't want to treat ALL of their customers with the same price, screw them.

Paul Geisler 6 years, 5 months ago

hail2oldKUYou really think the 6th & Lawrence Dillon's is bigger than the 6th & Waka store? The layout at 6th & Lawrence is a big square where the 6th & Waka Dillon's is a big rectangle, but I bet they are pretty close in square footage. I just find it very hard to believe that the newest Dillon's store in Lawrence was built smaller than the 6th & Lawrence store, even if they left room for expansion when they built it. The article also states that they are adding a 37K sq ft expansion which will bring the store size to 86K sq ft. Which means that the existing store is 49K sq ft. I'd be very surprised if the 6th & Lawrence Dillon's is larger than 49K sq ft, considering the 23rd Steet Dillons is 58K sq ft.

terrapin2 6 years, 5 months ago

beobachter,I'm not sure what your comment was in reference too. However, I have been in all four Dillons stores in Lawrence, and I worked at the 29th&Gage Dillons in Topeka when I was younger (and Harry's IGA at 29th & Wanamaker and Food-4-Less at 12th & Wanamaker). With my background in the grocery biz I actually do almost all of the grocery shopping for my family, and have since my wife and I got together nearly 20 years ago. Checkers is simply too far away for us to use, but I never liked it anway. And I simply will never shop in Aldi with it's limited selection. For us the Dillons at 6th & Lawrence is ultra-convenient (although I don't like all the trash that blows out of their parking lot into my yard and our neighbors' yards). But for big grocery runs I head out to Hy-Vee on 6th for some better deals on our regular purchases and a much better health-food section. Plus I have a number of friends who work out there and the store does a lot of work with Deerfield Elementary where our son goes to school so we try to support that store as much as possible.I just never have liked the lay-out of the Dillons at 6th & Waka. I guess I'm so used to going into the 6th & Lawrence store where I know where everything is located and I can go in on auto-pilot and come out with everything I need. I just don't see why they need to expand it. Maybe if they'd stop trying to sell patio furniture and bbq grills at a grocery store! I think they should remodel the 6th & Lawrence store and expand it. There's so much parking that is never used at that store. When we lived in Minnesota I used to joke about the stores up there being carpeted or non-carpeted grocery stores, and those with drive-thru pick-up lanes and those without. Lunds & Byerly's are the two big ritzy grocery stores (actually the companies merged a few years ago (check out lundsandbyerlys online) and all of their stores are almost entirely carpeted! Talk about a nasty clean up on aisle 4! But you sure paid a premium for their carpeted stores, huge selections, gourmet deli, drive-thru grocery pick up (!!!), etc. Something that cost $3 at a Cub Foods store would have been $5 at Byerlys.

hail2oldku 6 years, 5 months ago

magnus - I am fairly certain, though not 100% and I haven't had a chance to research past stories, that the 6th & Lawrence Ave store is currently the largest Dillons in the town. I am 100% certain that it was the biggest grocery in town when it was originally built and it was expanded after one of the HyVee stores was built (I don't remember which one, but thought it was the 6th St store) in order to be as big as the HyVee store. If it was expanded to match the sixth street HyVee it would be in the 60k sq ft area.I do know that the Lawrence Avenue improvements are valued more highly valued than the Wak store for property tax purposes.I would also point out that there are more check out lanes at the Law Ave location than the Wak location. That doesn't make a whole lot of sense if the Wak store is larger.

deskboy04 6 years, 5 months ago

I like the fried gizzards that Dillons sells. Checkers has pretty good gizzards. You won't find them at Hy Vee.

Amy Bartle 6 years, 5 months ago

I heard that the Dillon's at 6th/Lawrence is closing. Now that I see that the 6th/Wakarusa location is expanding, maybe they plan to close the older one and move those employees to the new one after the remodel. I've noticed a huge reduction in selections at the 6th/Wakarusa location over the last year. They really have no choice but to expand or close. Hy-Vee has really eaten into Dillons sales. The employees at Hy-Vee are really great. I just prefer the meat selections at Dillons at 6th/Lawrence to HyVee meat selections.

Amy Bartle 6 years, 5 months ago

Does anyone remember when Dillons clerks offered to take your cart out to your car and put your groceries in the car for you? I am not that old, and I totally remember that. It was great for me when I had my little ones shopping with me. All HyVee offers is the drive up service. Now Dillons offers neither drive up or carry out to the car.

merg311 6 years, 5 months ago

Obviously many cities have multiple Dillons Stores. What you may not have known though, is that more times that not, one of those is what I consider a "ghetto Dillons". Here in Lawrence, it's on Mass. In my home town of Salina, it's on Iron. In Hays, KS, it's on Hall Street. Those ghetto Dillons have a quaint charm to them alright! Wouldnt trade them for anything!

welch 6 years, 5 months ago

im glad they are expanding. Anything to take business away from that walmart that butts up against the residential neighborhoods. What a stupid design and idea to put a large SUPER WALMART! next to a neighborhood. People around 24 fricken 7, the traffic lights, the noise, gawd... way to drop home values.

bearded_gnome 6 years, 5 months ago

I think we need another one somewhere in town. I counted up 13 with the new walmart, and having an odd number of grocery stores for a town the size of lawrenceis just insulting.---oh, yeah, that's the theme to the "twilight zone" I hear!

welch 6 years, 5 months ago

well, im just glad that within a mile distance, i will have 3 grocery stores to choose from.Walmart <- will never go there, they are dirty as hellDillions <- OKHyVee <- BetterI think we need another one somewhere in town. I counted up 13 with the new walmart, and having an odd number of grocery stores for a town the size of lawrence is just insulting.

gccs14r 6 years, 5 months ago

Rising fuel costs will probably be the death of the giant box stores. Neighborhood grocers will become popular again, as will other businesses within walking distance.

Jillster 6 years, 5 months ago

Centerville wrote: "Jillster: your elderly mother has to shop using a walker. Is there any good reason that you aren't helping her or doing her shopping for her?"I do help her. I frequently do her shopping for her, or with her. But she likes to do things for herself yet, and she makes trips to the store while I'm at work if she needs something and wants to get out and about.Just because she uses a walker does not mean that she wants to be treated like an invalid. The exercise is good for her as well, and it makes her feel good to be as self-sufficient as she can be now that she's getting older.

JayHawker24 6 years, 5 months ago

Ok, first of all, it's D-I-L-L-O-N-S, not dillans. That's probably why you don't shop there. Ignorance is not allowed, it is posted clearly on the front door =).The dillon's card is good because it does show what you buy, and you will, in return, receive coupons for what you buy most in the mail, to receive more savings. A lot of places use cards. Also, the ability to save on gas is a great perk. Just because times are changing, one shouldn't be afraid. Look at the dillons down in Wichita, it's great looking, and very upscale! I know people don't like change, but everything will eventually change, everywhere you go, and it's for the best. No one is out there to piss anyone off; now that's not a good business move, now is it?