Archive for Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Obama dismisses Dobson criticism

June 25, 2008

— Barack Obama said Tuesday that evangelical leader James Dobson was "making stuff up" when he accused the presumed Democratic presidential nominee of distorting the Bible.

Dobson used his Focus on the Family radio program to highlight excerpts of a speech Obama gave in 2006 to the liberal Christian group Call to Renewal.

Speaking to reporters on his campaign plane before landing in Los Angeles, Obama said the speech made the argument that people of faith, like himself, "try to translate some of our concerns in a universal language so that we can have an open and vigorous debate rather than having religion divide us."

In his program, Dobson focused on examples Obama cited in asking which Biblical passages should guide public policy. For instance, Obama also cited Jesus' Sermon on the Mount, "a passage that is so radical that it's doubtful that our own Defense Department would survive its application."

Dobson said, "I think he's deliberately distorting the traditional understanding of the Bible to fit his own worldview, his own confused theology."

Comments

youraveragewoman 6 years, 6 months ago

I am glad Barack Obama made those remarks about James Dobson. It helps us all to see who Obama really is and what he really is about. It doesn't fool me.

bondmen 6 years, 6 months ago

Barack Hussein Obama had a chance to refute James Dobson's criticisms point by point and thereby further clarify his position to this hugely important targeted constituency, the Christian voting community. That he didn't do it means another missed opportunity to explain his change/hope mantra.Certainly any candidate is a product of his upbringing with his character shaped by past life experiences while future decisions are guided and directed by his resultant worldview. It is a total package and a good predictor of what voters can expect. In this regard Barack Hussein Obama is no exception. In his history we can learn of important personal relationships influencing important features of his belief system.It behooves every serious voter to examine their candidates in such a detailed fashion so the best person for the job can win.The most detailed history of Barack Hussein Obama carefully listed year by year I've yet found is http://www.freedomsenemies.com/_Obama/obamatimeline.htmLet's face it, these candidates are apt to say anything they think their audience wants to hear - varying the pitch from place to place and day to day. This makes most of what they say from here on out virtually worthless. Our best bet is to examine the voting records (which both have) and past political associations for guidance as to their future behavior and decisions in office.

Satirical 6 years, 6 months ago

I do not support Obama, and will not be voting for him because I am a fiscal conservative, and he is too inexperienced. I also consider myself a Christian. Having said that, I think it is immaterial whether Obama is a Christian or not, and should not be involved in any sort of political dialogue. There is no religious test for a political office.

Satirical 6 years, 6 months ago

Lea644...Simply because some of the founding fathers were religious and believed in the Bible doesn't mean it should overturn the Constitutional clause that states no religious test should be given for public office. That means anyone from any religious background may become President, not just those who believe in the Bible.As I have stated before, I will not vote for Obama and am a Christian; but I do not believe a discussion of a candidate's faith is relevant.

beatrice 6 years, 6 months ago

Regarding the constant insertion of Obama's middle name into posts is actually a good thing, although the intent of the poster clearly is not. I think seeing the racism that lies just below the surface of many people will help the country in the long run move forward with regard to race relations. Electing Obama as President of the United States of America will also be good in both the short term and the long run.

George_Braziller 6 years, 6 months ago

Dobson, it should be the Constitution, the legislature, and the law that guides public policy, not the Bible or your own "confused theology."________"In his program, Dobson focused on examples Obama cited in asking which Biblical passages should guide public policy."

yourworstnightmare 6 years, 6 months ago

That xtians on this thread are throwing around accusations that others are not true xtians is just hilarious.Keep it up, screamers. You only denigrate yourselves and your christism, if that is what you truly are.Fools all.

Frank Smith 6 years, 6 months ago

One former employee of Focus on the Family has coined the term "Dobsonology":"Dobsonology is a mixture of psychology, humanism, New Age, political activism and ecumenism packed in a silver box of morality; it is tied with a golden ribbon of assorted Scriptures -- not necessarily in context. It is being sold to the Christian Community in lieu of Biblical authority through sound doctrine by James Dobson and his Focus On The Family Organization." http://www.freedomhouse.org/ On February 19, 2002, (Ralph) Reed received a direct request from (Jack) Abramoff. "Can we get Dobson on the air?" Abramoff asked. Reed responded that same day in an email, "yes. We're negotiating that now." In a follow-up email that day, Reed told Abramoff, "called Dobson this a.m." The following day, Abramoff wrote to Scanlon: "He [Reed] wants a budget for radio in the state. I'm inclined to say yes, so we can get this Dobson ad up. He asked for $150K. We'll play it in WH [the White House] and Interior." Later that day, Abramoff was jubilant. "He [Reed] may have finally scored for us!" he wrote to Scanlon. "Dobson goes up on the radio next week." On February 26, Abramoff asked Reed, "where are we with Falwell, Robertson, Dobson, etc.? we need to see some action in D.C. That's what I sold them for $100K."

Satirical 6 years, 6 months ago

For some reason the media picks up on stupid stuff like this and ignores important stuff; like Obama rejecting public financing for the Presidential election, creating a new era of buying political influence for special interests.

Satirical 6 years, 6 months ago

Beatrice:I agree that there is no single set of experience necessary to be President, but we appear to agree there is a minimum amount experience is necessary. More years in the Senate may not make him a better person, but it will likely make him wiser. He is both physically young, and inexperienced in the real world. This is a lethal combination. I would have thought that if the last 8 years taught us anything, it is that you shouldn't vote for someone that is incompetent simply because he is a member of your party (although I think Bush did engage in some worthy causes).Vision and intelligence are necessary to be President but they are not sufficient to becoming President; one must also have experience. After all we are talking about the leader of the free world in the hands of a first term Senator.

beatrice 6 years, 6 months ago

"Obama is a Christian like Bush is!"Um, not exactly. Obama isn't the type who will try to start a new Crusade and do things in the hopes of bringing about the end of days, as Bush apparently has been doing. 75x -- what exactly qualifies as "experience" to be President? If Obama had been criticized for questionable conduct by Congress as one of the Keating Five the way John McCain had been, is that the kind of experience we would want? On the personal front, Obama also doesn't have the experience of cheating on his wife, divorcing, and marrying a much younger woman, he does not have the experience of sucking up to President Bush or flip-flopping on tax cuts for the wealthy during a time of war and deficit the way McCain has, nor does Obama have the experience of being a drunk until the age 40 the way Bush has. If you are looking for only longevity in Congress, certainly there are people who have much more experience than Obama or McCain. So what experience exactly is necessary or appropriate to prepare someone to be President?

Satirical 6 years, 6 months ago

beatrice..."So what experience exactly is necessary or appropriate to prepare someone to be President?"More experience than someone who hasn't even complete their first term in national politics.

Satirical 6 years, 6 months ago

I have been pondering recently, and I think the Religious Right's coalition with the Republican Party has hurt both Christians and the Republican Party. I say this as a conservative and as someone who is religious. I think the collation has hurt the Republican Party because the Evangelical wing of the Religious Right has too much influence on the party. Their influence ensured that a Mormon couldn't get the nomination because bigots like Mike Huckabee used the same bigoted tactic that Dobson is using. I think Romney would have made a great President and hope McCain picks him as a VP.I think this coalition has also hurt Christians. Many liberals associate being Christian with being a Republican, and transfer any negative political feelings about the Republican Party onto Christians. While the perception is not accurate, it was inevitable. Report have recently come out that Christians are having a hard time converting others, and I think the political coalition is a large reason why.I think both the Republican Party and Christians would be better off if they parted ways. This is not to say that you can't vote Republican if you are Christian, only that Christian leaders shouldn't publically condemn or endorse candidates.

preebo 6 years, 6 months ago

What I find particularly interesting is that Dr. Dobson claims that Senator Obama distorts the Bible to fit his own confused theology....This is the truest form of irony.As for those here throwing around the concepts that Senator Obama is somehow a secret Muslim, like monkeys throwing feces at one another in a zoo, you're gonna end smelling just as bad and probably as irrelevent. My one piece of advice, evolve. Bad, Bad Monkeys!

Satirical 6 years, 6 months ago

Anxiousatheist:"How about owning a baseball team, and ruining oil companies, does that count as "experience"?"First, you are ignoring Bush's experience being a governor. Second, what does Bush's experience or lack thereof have to do with Obama's lack of experience? For some reason liberals can't get it out of your head that Bush is not running again.

ThirdStone 6 years, 6 months ago

The Right in the media (Limbaugh, Hannity, O'Reilly, and now aparently James Dobson) have received their marching orders; and now the slide into the muck begins. They aren't even bothering to disguise their racism and zenophobia, which probably is handy for those of us trying to sort out the bad guys. By the way Rush has gone apolectic about Jeremy Wright's racism but he posted a paradyl song on his web site entitled: "Barack The Magic Negro". Whoever is laundering these guys' sheets must be getting rich.

Calliope877 6 years, 6 months ago

I recommend you buy a text book on American history, 75x55. There are several presidents in history who had less or zero experience than Obama and still performed well as Commander in Chief.

BrianR 6 years, 6 months ago

Ceiling Cat knows Dobson is a whack job.

beatrice 6 years, 6 months ago

malcolm, I wonder why McCain isn't going to run with your line of "electing Obama Hussein the Apostate will be a horrible idea unless you're a liberal anti-American idiot" as his campaign slogan? It is so filled with intelligence, compassion and thoughtfullness. It speaks greatly to your feelings about your fellow Americans. 75x and Satirical, there really is no set of experiences necessary to be President. Would more years in Congress make Obama a better person, would it make his judgment abilities sharper? Possibly, but that is no guarantee. Simply put, Obama is an intelligent person who inspires others, has a big picture for the nation that many like, and he wants to break us from the Washington mold of how to do (or not do) various things. It is the person, not just the experiences, we will be electing in November. It is that simple as to why Obama will be our next President.

Satirical 6 years, 6 months ago

Malcom...Who do you think the Muslim world will respect less, a Christian or someone with a middle name of "Hussein"?Also their views are apostate are probably limited to apostates of their own faith. They encourage people to leave other faiths, as do most religions.

cds 6 years, 6 months ago

preebo (Anonymous) says: What I find particularly interesting is that Dr. Dobson claims that Senator Obama distorts the Bible to fit his own confused theology.:This is the truest form of irony.__Couldn't help but laugh at the truth to this statement.__Satirical (Anonymous) says: I think this coalition has also hurt Christians. Many liberals associate being Christian with being a Republican, and transfer any negative political feelings about the Republican Party onto Christians. While the perception is not accurate, it was inevitable. Report have recently come out that Christians are having a hard time converting others, and I think the political coalition is a large reason why.I think both the Republican Party and Christians would be better off if they parted ways. This is not to say that you can't vote Republican if you are Christian, only that Christian leaders shouldn't publically condemn or endorse candidates.___Very true, thats why we have this thing called "seperation of church and state". The world would be a much better place if far rightwingers, whos only real true goal is to get rid of abortions (and I guess stop gays from marrage), stopped trying to force feed thier own interpretation of a religion onto everyone else who lives in America. That is what this country was founded on, freedom of religion, and it's trully sad that people these days can't grasp that. I'd most likely vote republican every single time if abortion wasn't an issue.

georgeofwesternkansas 6 years, 6 months ago

Of course Dobson made it up. Obama has never done anything worng. Obama is Christ himself. If you do believe it, just ask him.

ndmoderate 6 years, 6 months ago

75x55,Dobson was my morning drive Howard Stern substitute - "shock jock," indeed. I liken it to trying to turn your eyes away from a car accident. That, and where I lived was in a radio "black hole" -- almost no stations came in from any direction (thankfully, NPR came in just fine, so I would switch over to that often).

Satirical 6 years, 6 months ago

Correction: "their views are apostate are probably limited..."Meant to say "their views on apostates are probably limited..."

ndmoderate 6 years, 6 months ago

Here's a good rule to live by:If something you say or do get's Dobson's panties in a wad, then you're doing the right thing.Why is the media even giving this clown the time of day? He already said that if Obama and McCain were the nominees in the general election he wouldn't vote (apparently God told him that he could not support either guy). I would imagine Dobson's closest followers would follow suit, and sit out this election. I fail to see how this is a bad thing.The media should be better than this. Covering the insane political rantings of a "pastor" who wants a theocracy in America...who isn't even going to vote!I used to listen to Dobson's radio show on the way to work every morning when I lived in Kansas...I was continually stunned by the stuff I'd hear. He's not on the radio where I live now, and that's a good thing for me (keeps my blood pressure down).

Lea644 6 years, 6 months ago

For those saying that our government practices should be based on law and the Constitution and not the Bible, keep in mind that our country's Founding Fathers based our Constitution on God's word. And for those 'debating' over whether or not Barack Obama is Muslim, look at his childhood. He claims that he has always been a Christian, but as a child he practiced Islam and went to a Muslim school. Two, in fact. Word of advice: do a little digging and know the facts before you make your vote in November. Don't just fall into this "Obama-mania" that everyone seems to be getting sucked into. This election is one of the most important in our nation's history. Don't just vote for someone because of what he says. Know your facts.

Jeff Barclay 6 years, 6 months ago

Dobson- Who cares? His people won't vote for Obama anyway. But hey, as caring thoughtful liberals, can we really support Obama, knowing he listened, finacially contributed to, and by his lengthy presence provided (at the very least) tacit approval to Rev. Wright's racist views? What do we do?

bad_dog 6 years, 6 months ago

"One wonders how Obama would fare in something like a Lincoln-Douglas debate scenario." -75x55Don't worry, McCain will have many chances to either display his worth or get shredded in public debates. If I were a betting person I'd place my wager on the "getting shredded" outcome. I'd even go so far as to state Obama could take McCain's positions and argue them more eloquently and convincingly-despite having to choke down the bile...

RedwoodCoast 6 years, 6 months ago

The latest proclamation from the National Evangelical Council on What to Think.

yourworstnightmare 6 years, 6 months ago

George Carlin made me laugh so hard that several times that I nearly dobsoned in my pants.

Satirical 6 years, 6 months ago

Agnostick:The only President you listed that has as little political experience is Lincoln. However, Lincoln "He was elected captain of an Illinois militia company" when he was young. Plus today's standards are different than in the past. Truman wasn't even a college graduate, and I thought he was a decent President, but today I wouldn't vote for anyone who wasn't at least a college grad.I have not stated that I do not believe it is possible to be a good President with little experience, it is just unlikely, and I am not willing to go out on a limb for Obama. I would have these same reservations if someone with similar experience was running as a Republican.

davidnta 6 years, 6 months ago

Good luck with trying to beat down Obama. The most powerful Democratic family couldn't do it, what makes you think McCain will have a chance?You can call him Barack Hussein Obama, adding the Hussein in there for the purpose of eliciting an image of some terrorist or dictator in your racially and religiously charged attempt to discredit him. It just shows that you all have Islamophobia and are racist towards Blacks and Arabs.It's fine and dandy that you try, and again, but be prepared to be called that.

1029 6 years, 6 months ago

Big deal. Has anybody ever listened to Focus on the Family? It's hilarious. It's seriously aimed at people with a room temperature IQ. Dobson has a long history of making idiotic remarks--anyone who actually respects that guy is a jack***. A few years ago he urged his listeners to boycott a Colorado Dairy Queen because it was owned by the wife of __ Salazar, a democrat running against Pete Coors for the senate. Comments from discredited people like Dobson can only help Obama. (By the way, Dobson's views on the family structure are pretty funny if anyone wants a good laugh)

beatrice 6 years, 6 months ago

Satirical, I don't think Obama is "incompetent," as you put it. I am glad he has real-world experience over just more years in Congress, since there is no evidence to point to that shows extra years in politics or Congress will make anyone more intelligent. He is self-made, he is mature, he is intelligent, he has a real vision for our country. He is ready. What experience outside of being in Congress does McCain have that qualifies him for President? Does being a lackluster naval student (his own assesment of his time at the academy) and a prisoner of war qualify him? I sure don't think so.

Rationalanimal 6 years, 6 months ago

"Dobson, another closet pedophile waiting to be outed"You must be speaking of Barney Frank that narrowly dodged getting picked up by the FBI in the national child prostitution ring today you idiot Marxist. Barrack Milehouse Hussein Obama is a radical Stalinist that in better days of America would be viewed as the loathesome traitor, hate-monger and liar that he is let alone nominated as the presidential candidate for anything other than the communist party. Sadly, today, Americans are so preoccupied with looking at a little skin on the internet that their decisions are made with blood flowing away from the brain. Turn the porn off and pay attention to your damn country before it is turned over to the new Marxist party, dba Democrat party you fools.

sfjayhawk 6 years, 6 months ago

You must have had an extra helping of crazy for dinner rational, go curl up in the fetal position and suck your thumb and start chanting 'take me back to 1955' - it usually makes you feel better you old has-been. In the better days of America, republicans would still care about the economy, states rights, small business and staying out of foreign entanglements. And they would think someone that was AWOL from duty (reserves) during Vietnam (Bush) was a traitor.

Satirical 6 years, 6 months ago

Malcolm:Again let me start by stating I do not support Obama, however I disagree with your argument (however you might be right about duplenty)First, your source stated a "male apostate must be put to death unless he suffers from a mental disorder or converted under duress." So, it is possible that being raised by his mother who is a non-Muslim could constitute "duress," and therefore there would be no problem.Second, doesn't Islamic law also require killing all infidels, which are non-believers? And if so, then Muslim nations would have just as big of a problem whether he was a Christian or an apostate.I think you are blowing this whole apostate thing out of proportion, and unless you yourself are Muslim and know this to be true, and the leaders of all the Muslim leaders agree with your analysis of Islamic law, it is a non-issue.In fact, I wouldn't care if they didn't like our leader. We decide who we elect, not Muslim nations. I am sure many Muslim nations would want to put our current President to death if they could.Someone's religion or lack thereof is not a political issue. The U.S. Constitution states there should be no religious test for public office.

antney 6 years, 6 months ago

Hussein in Arabic means "good" or "handsome"It is a good arabic name but the bigots, racist and zealots will try to use it to invoke hatred and fear (of Islam) because they can't get any traction attacking the color of his skin.People will try to dismiss him as not black enough, not Christian enough, and now not Muslim enough. What's next?

bad_dog 6 years, 6 months ago

7.5:I guess I should be flattered that you consider the comments tendered by sfjayhawk and myself as "good advice"Marion:If leading by 7-12% constitutes a "spiral down", I think Obama will take some more of that trend.I trust you'll enjoy your crow when the time comes-as it will.

Lea644 6 years, 6 months ago

Satirical: I believe that anyone from any religious background can become President of the United States as well. And I don't mean that our Founding Fathers were religious. Yes, they were. What I mean is that the foundations of our country, the very core of our governmental laws and amendments, are rooted in Christian and Biblical belief. Someone had posted earlier that it should be the Constitution, the legislature, and the law that guides public policy, not the Bible. What I was simply pointing out that it was the Bible that guided most of our policy for a long time. I'm not voting for Obama either, I think he is radical hypocrite with too little experience and too big a mouth.

1029 6 years, 6 months ago

who cares about Rev. Wright, either? Stupid, simple people....absorbing everything they see and hear in the media.

EirishHawk 6 years, 6 months ago

Oh no, looks like Obama has found a way to dispense His Kool-Aid as an airbourn virus. Easily diagnosed, infected persons are unable to accept how dangerous He is, often wandering the internet repeating His matra, "He is self-made, he is mature, he is intelligent, he has a real vision for our country. He is ready." They'll never admit the only two things He must to be to get their vote --- NOTa republican and NOT John McCain.

Lea644 6 years, 6 months ago

Agnostick:I have plenty of facts. I've done my research. How about you? Maybe you should go read some of Revelations and you'll see what I'm talking about. Or maybe you should go look up the facts on Obama and who he really is. Because who he claims to be is not really what he's all about.

Satirical 6 years, 6 months ago

Agnostick...Thanks for the book suggestion. I will give it a look.

beatrice 6 years, 6 months ago

Eirish, I guess you are voting for McCain simply because he isn't Obama then? If John McCain was running at another time, I might consider voting for him. If he were running against some other Democrat he might get my vote. He does have some good, liberal qualities, you must admit. In 2008, however, he is the wrong person for the job, having been too corrupted by his all out support in the war in Iraq and his close relationship with George Bush (I guess we can call it "experience"). It is one thing to not like a candidate for his views, but you aren't saying anything of substance against Obama. You aren't even being original, just quoting Bill O'Reilly's tired Kool-Aid mantra that he dishes out to the Ditto-heads who can afford cable instead of making a real point. In other words, if you don't like Obama, please give us valid reasons why we should then consider voting for McCain. If you don't like my reasons for supporting Obama, that is fine, but the silly insult is just that, silly.

beatrice 6 years, 6 months ago

Why do you think a bigger deal wasn't made about McCain's senior advisor saying that a terrorist attack would be good for McCain? If it had been Obama's people, can you imagine the fuss. Must be the "liberal" media.

bad_dog 6 years, 6 months ago

"They'll never admit the only two things He must to be to get their vote NOTa republican and NOT John McCain."The two reasons you indicate as the only ones necessary for Democrats to support Sen. Obama aren't mine, nor do I believe they reflect the majority of those who do support him. I could just as easily say the only two things McCain needs to be to get your vote is non Democratic and not Obama. Although that may be true for you, that's not a particularly compelling argument. Throwing in the capitalized "He" and "His" as if they somehow strengthen the merit of your words because you've designated them as deistic proper nouns can only make fellow readers wonder why you feel so threatened. Rather than discuss why you believe McCain is the better candidate you choose the rhetoric ridden, albeit simplistic approach to express your fear of the impending election-an approach embraced by many Republicans these days. "He's not a Christian-he's a closet Muslim", "No he's not a Muslim, he's an apostate." "Ooh, now he and Michelle are doing the terrorist fist jab." And my personal favorite is to be sure you insert the dreaded "Hussein" moniker into his name whenever you speak it. Careful, you'll scare the kids and the elderly! Isn't differentiation on some basis-whether issue driven or simple party affiliation (despite it's singular non-thinking narrow focus) generally the reason one candidate is chosen over another? Do you just flip a two headed coin? Is it all just "black or white" to you? I prefer to consider all the issues. And no one person or political party has all the answers. Breathe, or you'll choke on your ill disguised hatred. I can sense your frustration from here.

sfjayhawk 6 years, 6 months ago

Dobson, another closet pedophile waiting to be outed.

bad_dog 6 years, 6 months ago

Rationalanimal:I can't think of a stronger misnomer than to associate the username "rational" with your ludicrous, rambling, homophobic slander above. While the "animal" portion of your name may/may not be accurate, "Irrationalanimal" henceforth is thy name.Do you always wallow in homophobia and fear of anything you don't understand/agree/identify with? Stalinist, Communist, Marxist, loathesome (sic) traitor, liar-sheesh, the only things you missed were "beatnik" and "wife beater". You should take a page from your own advice book and turn off Fox News on the one hand and Coulter's web site on the other and make one last attempt to regain some level of obectivity; futile though it may be. The brain-even yours, is a terrible thing to waste.Again, your fear is both palpable and growing.

dandelion 6 years, 6 months ago

What is your definition of experience? Once people get a lot of "experience" in Washington DC, they have taken too much money from the wrong people.

Satirical 6 years, 6 months ago

It would be nice if the LJWorld partitioned the comment board into two separate blogs. One group would be the people who like to make ridiculous comments without substantiation, are more interested in proving someone wrong and attacking the opposition than actually having a discussion. The other group would be people who enjoy arguing their positions based on the merits, wouldn't twists other peoples' words to create strawman arguments, and enjoy enlightening conversation, while always being respectful.

Calliope877 6 years, 6 months ago

75x75 -I never promised you a list, dude. I recommended for you to read up on American history. Do the homework yourself. It isn't my job to educate you.

KEITHMILES05 6 years, 6 months ago

A poster said something whichI think is very important.McCain likes to tell everybody he has all this experience in Washington. Well, I don't give a crap about that because the long you are in DC the more corrupted you become.This is not something which endears me to a candidate and in fact revolts me.McCain is a hot head, admits he knows nothing of domestic policy, has no personal or moral qualms about dumping his wife who stood by his sorry butt while in Nam, and is way too old and will not survive the rigors of the Presidency.Other than that he is a cool cat.

ndmoderate 6 years, 6 months ago

Lea644,If the Constitution was based on Christianity and the Bible , why doesn't it say so? The book of Revelation is certainly an interesting read, but I'm with Agnostick on that one...big time.Ever read the Federalist Papers? The writings of Thomas Paine? It might give you something to think about before insisting that our Constitution owes much to Christianity and the Bible in particular.And, ditto what dandelion said.

Kontum1972 6 years, 6 months ago

u know that senator who had a mission in mens restrooms was a christian......Larry Craig....and he was not a democrat....what good christian he was....we as americans want someone who will get us out this mess that the "W" has sunk us into..all u people who put this guy in office both times i hold u personally responsible what what has happened..to this country in the past 8 yrs.....and u should be put up against a wall and shot...so u cannot reproduce!

dandelion 6 years, 6 months ago

Lea644,Could you be more specific about how our constitution is guided by the bible? Although our land was settled by many people who were Christians trying to flee other Christians who didn't think they worshipped God properly (ironic, huh), thus the religious freedom rights, I fail to see anything in the Bible that has to do with democracy, unless you are referring to "free will". I've read the Bible twice, and I mostly remember Lords, Kings, all powerful rulers, etc. Not democracy, representative or otherwise. Of course, Jesus did question authority, feed the hungry, and heal the sick, and throw the profiteers from the temple. I guess he would be labeled a commie nowadays, instead of cruxified.

EireishHawk 6 years, 6 months ago

beatrice,Bill O doesn't have a monopoly on Kool-Aid remarks. Since Jonestown people have been using that phrase. You and other posters have made remarks like, "he has real-world experience," and "He is self-made, he is mature, he is intelligent, he has a real vision for our country. He is ready." Nearly all of which are your opinion. He promises change from old DC and then demonstrates that he can be as old DC as any other politician. I currently plan to vote for McCain, and yes, it is because he is not Obama. Obama and his ability to say nothing and be praised for his wisdom makes me think he is a danger to this country. Especially at a time when we have men and women in harms way in Afghanistan, Iraq and around the world. I hope you are as tough as your pretend because that man is going to break your heart!

Calliope877 6 years, 6 months ago

75x55 --I like 75x75 better, it's catchier...sorry.Is it hard for you to look up a few names? Maybe google all the presidents of the U.S.? It's not that hard is it? :p

Calliope877 6 years, 6 months ago

I don't think this election is the MOST important in the nation's history, but I think it may be a milestone. I feel it may be an election that will be studied by future generations no matter what the outcome is.

dandelion 6 years, 6 months ago

Well, yes, Wright is probably a racist, but what does that have to do with Obama? Just because Obama attended his church does not mean he follows lock step. I know I don't agree with everything my minister says, but I don't leave the church. And tell me that a man of Wright's age has not suffered discrimination and segregation. If you don't think he has, you need to learn some history of the 1960's.

bad_dog 6 years, 6 months ago

"I currently plan to vote for McCain, and yes, it is because he is not Obama. Obama and his ability to say nothing and be praised for his wisdom makes me think he is a danger to this country. Especially at a time when we have men and women in harms way in Afghanistan, Iraq and around the world."You know it's really interesting how some people listen to Obama and feel uplifted and inspired by his messages and others get nothing or worse. Is it content or perception? Is it the right brain or the left? I ask these questions due to the radical disparity of opinion. You can't convince me Obama's supporters are stupid or incapable of independent thinking anymore than I will accuse you of the same for supporting McCain. While there are some things about McCain I like, there are other issues such as his involvement in the S & L scandal, his staunch identification with the current administration until necessity drove him away, his willingness to stay in Iraq in perpetuity, his admitted lack of understanding of basic economic theory, etc. Nevertheless, I'll still listen to him during the conventions, debates, etc. because I want to know his opinions on national defense, immigration and other issues that are important to me.As for the issue that we have men/women in harms way in Iraq, etc., I'm not going to harp on why/how we got there. I'd rather address what we need to do to get out of there, leaving as secure an environment as possible, while recognizing we can't, nor should we attempt to recreate those countries in our image. It won't work. We need to rebuild infrastructure in Iraq using their oil income. Doing so will help address but not completely eliminate the undercurrent of anger arising from our presence and the fact that much of the current destruction is attributable to our military presence-right or wrong. We also need to do what we can to stabilize the local governments there and then get out and let the people of Iraq or Afghanistan take responsibility for their own futures. We can't be the policeman for the world for eternity. The monies we expend doing so on a long-term basis can ultimately cripple our economy. Keep in mind what happened to the Soviet Union in Afghanistan and the demoralizing defeat they ultimately suffered.

EirishHawk 6 years, 6 months ago

"which candidate wins it, will be the start of an incredibly weak presidential term"I think you may be right, Jonas. I have to wonder what four years of either one will do to our nation. But I also do not plan to forfeit my right/obligation to vote. So will wait until November and see which one has shot himself in the foot the least number of times.

EXks 6 years, 6 months ago

James DobSIN = FALSE prophet Jerimah 14:14 Then the LORD said unto me, The prophets prophesy LIES in my name: I sent them not, neither have I commanded them, neither spake unto them: they prophesy unto you a FALSE vision and divination, and a thing of nought, and the deceit of their heart.Matthew 7:15 Beware of FALSE prophets, which come to you in sheep's clothing, but inwardly they are ravening wolves.

Rationalanimal 6 years, 6 months ago

bad_dog"Again, your fear is both palpable and growing."You're a moron, idiot, retard, part of the problem, and the political beliefs in which you sympathize are to be entirely defeated and vanquished from American politics. The few of us who understand and have not lost the nexus between personal and economic liberty will stand in your way and other's like you who are Marxists from continuing your agenda of methodically destroying this great country. There is nothing to be desired relative to your vision for "change." It is slavery, despotism and misery. Barrack Milehouse Hussein Obama chums with terrorists who have bombed American infrastructure and bragged about it, sat in a church for 20 years that spewed hate filled diatribe relating to America as a great evil, votes against protecting babies that survive botched late-term abortions which in turn are placed in closets to "humanely" die on their own divise, proposes to jack taxes up to an unprecedented level, proposes an energy plan that does nothing to ease the suffering of common people other than he compassionately "wishes prices hadn't gone up so suddenly", condescendingly views mainstream Americas--i.e. Kansans--as inbred hicks that "cling to their guns and religion," and every word otherwise that comes out of his mouth is Marxist rhetoric, or, for the slow witted, redistribution of wealth, quelling of personal liberty, rationing of goods, and centralized government control. I'm sure those are all points you agree with so I can lump you in when I say: he is a radical nut and in better days of America he would be shunned to the fringes of America as the lunatic radical traitor and threat to the greatness of America that he is. The only thing the man has going for him is a billionare funded propoganda machine and can read a teleprompter.

Calliope877 6 years, 6 months ago

75x55 (Anonymous) says: "There are several presidents in history who had less or zero experience than Obama and still performed well as Commander in Chief."So, I suppose, you aren't able to back up your own assertion. Oh well.75x75 --I KNEW you would say that. LOLYou can speculate all you want about the extent of my knowledge, I really don't feel the need to prove anything to a stranger.If you really wanted to know, you'd take the initiative to educate yourself. But I suspect you just like to argue instead. The reason why I'm not bothering to "back-up my assertions" is because 1) I made a recommendation for you to look into it yourself and I don't think there's anything wrong with that, and 2) unlike other posters on this forum, I don't have the patience to attempt to educate people who really don't want to be educated (because if you REALLY wanted to know, you'd take the initiative yourself rather than demanding others to provide it for you). It would be a waste of my time.But thanks for the laugh. :)

jonas 6 years, 6 months ago

Anonymous userLea644 (Anonymous) says:"This election is one of the most important in our nation's history."Do you actually believe that? I think the likely result of this election, no matter which candidate wins it, will be the start of an incredibly weak presidential term, that will likely be in roughly the same place in 4 years as they are today, with perhaps some improvements, but not enough to allow for re-election. I admit that it's difficult to see how you think the issues today are the most important that America has ever faced.

jonas 6 years, 6 months ago

Eireshawk(sp?): Oh, I'll vote, and I don't think a weak presidency would be such a bad thing.

Satirical 6 years, 6 months ago

How about we talk about Obama's recent flip-flops (including the 2nd Amendment, and public financing), his lack of experience, radical associations, and socialist ideology on another post.Obama's religious affiliation, or lack thereof, is not relevant to any political discussion.

bad_dog 6 years, 6 months ago

Illogicalanimal:Well it only took you about 24 hours to climb out of your pit of self-loathing and reload your vitriol filled cyber pen. IMHO it is diatribes such as yours that exemplify everything wrong with America today. Feel free to keep spewing while you "cling to your guns and religion". Frankly, illogical, disjointed, hate-filled rants are all you've got. I know it and you know it deep down inside. For your sake I hope you eventually realize every one else sees you for the hate filled charlatan you are. Then perhaps the healing can begin. Nah, probably not gonna happen. I challenge you to re-read your posts and point out anything that can be characterized as an objective perspective. Do you not realize how ridiculous and asinine you sound? Feel free to resume penning the next chapter of your homage to hatred. At the risk of insulting W. Shakespeare may I suggest you entitle it "A tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing."Regards,Your moronic, idiotic, retarded cyber pen-pal.PS I think you overlooked "Dolt" and "Ginzel" in your stream of adjectives directed toward me earlier. Feel free to use them in future posts.

bad_dog 6 years, 6 months ago

Thanks for the "411" max1. I was going to do the research myself, but got a little "distracted".