Archive for Friday, June 20, 2008

Sheriff’s officers investigating woman’s injuries

Investigators from the Douglas County Sheriff's Office put on plastic shoe coverings as they enter a home at 1602 N. 1500 Road, where a woman was injured on Thursday night.

June 20, 2008, 9:45 a.m. Updated June 21, 2008, 12:00 a.m.

Injuries lead to investigation at rural home

Deputies were in and out of a house just east of Lawrence all morning Friday investigating whether a medical emergency occurred there Thursday night when a woman was injured. Enlarge video

Douglas County Sheriff's deputies on Friday were investigating what they described as a medical emergency at a house just east of the Lawrence city limits.

A 50-year-old Lawrence woman was injured at the home Thursday night and taken to a Kansas City area hospital by helicopter, the sheriff's office said.

About noon, officers left the home at 1602 N. 1500 Road, but sheriff's spokeswoman Lt. Kari Wempe wouldn't say whether officers thought a crime had been committed, and only would confirm an investigation was under way. She also said she did not have the woman's name.

Officers were dispatched to the residence, in a rural area, just east of Oak Hills Cemetery, at 10:07 p.m. Thursday on a medical emergency call, Wempe said.

"Because of the nature of the injuries, we are conducting a routine investigation," Wempe said.

Friday afternoon, Wempe said deputies were filling out paperwork on the case, but she didn't expect to learn anything else about the situation today.

Investigators were seen going in and out of the house with blue booties over their shoes. Douglas County Coroner Erik Mitchell also went inside the house for a brief period this morning. He was seen exiting the home wearing blue gloves.

"Dr. Mitchell was asked to come to the scene, using his expertise and experience to help our office establish whether the evidence at the scene is consistent with a medical emergency," Wempe said in an e-mail to the Journal-World.

Kate Dinneen, a nearby neighbor, said she heard several emergency sirens on North 1500 Road last night.

"The sirens came," she said. "One came and then about four five minutes later another came and then a few minutes after that another, so it wasn't all at once and then a helicopter came out and it was flying around and flying around."

Google Street View

1602 E. 1500 Road

View Larger Map

(What's Google Street View?)

Comments

OldEnuf2BYurDad 6 years, 9 months ago

So, how did the Midge rumor actually begin?

TheYetiSpeaks 6 years, 9 months ago

Just talked to Midge.....Very much alive.

unite2revolt 6 years, 9 months ago

E 15th St turns into 1500 Rd when you hit the city limits.

TheYetiSpeaks 6 years, 9 months ago

But thanks for scaring the bejeezus out of me.

Kelly Anderson 6 years, 9 months ago

East on 15th street, like you are going the back way to Eudora. East past the cemetery

dontjudgeuntilintheirshoes 6 years, 9 months ago

I don't think educational efforts are a bad thing or 'going crazy'.....look at the positive of the informative information on these links.

GSWtotheheart 6 years, 9 months ago

Thanks for your generous post...My bad also...That's true, temporary employees do not have the same protections as others do.Luckily for me, I left the sorry bastid and got the marriage annulled. I moved away and have never let another man hit me again. Not that I let him do it, but we were in that abuse cycle where he hit me, I begged him not to leave, he brought me flowers, and it was all okay again until he hit me again. Now, I'm independent. Not male-dependant. I would love to have a boyfriend, but the second hubby spoiled me and when he died, I lost my will to try again. Sometimes you meet your soulmate and don't know it. Sad.I hope your friend finds peace and inner strength and the will to persevere in her situation. It will help if she can get out of the abusive situation, and get herself together, and get another job. It takes TIME!!!!!! Thanks again, sorry I was defensive.

Christine Pennewell Davis 6 years, 9 months ago

now for the directionally imaired, me, which way is this? no map and suck at directions so landmark like k-10 or target these things help, I know I know.

bd 6 years, 9 months ago

Annother incomplete story with a red truck?????This rag sucks!

HyparuaDrachua 6 years, 9 months ago

Let's hope it's not domestic violence and let's hope she doesn't work for a certain major university in Lawrence - if so = they will get rid of her ASAP.http://www.abanet.org/irr/hr/spring98/sp98runge.html

OldEnuf2BYurDad 6 years, 9 months ago

When this story comes out, I suspect some disturbing content will be revealed. They aren't wearing those paper shoe thingies because she just mopped the kitchen floor.Just tell me no one in the house was dating that Jaeger guy.

OldEnuf2BYurDad 6 years, 9 months ago

Angeleyes, you got some 'splaining to do!

Christine Pennewell Davis 6 years, 9 months ago

wow this must be what the helicopter was at the 4-h for last night.

GSWtotheheart 6 years, 9 months ago

HyparuaDrachua (Anonymous) says: Let's hope it's not domestic violence and let's hope she doesn't work for a certain major university in Lawrence - if so = they will get rid of her ASAP.http://www.abanet.org/irr/hr/spring98/spThanks for generalizing and making baseless accusations against KU. Just because this happened to some lady out in CA, does not mean KU treats their employees the same way. Show me an example of this happening at KU and we'll see. But even then, one instance doesn't make a pattern, and frankly, you may only know one side of the story.Stick that in your pipe and smoke it.

Christine Pennewell Davis 6 years, 9 months ago

thankyou I kinda thought it was out that way buy hey bob billings used to be 15th st also, so who knows the way streets go around here.

jaycat 6 years, 9 months ago

I think you are spot on frustratednks.

Christine Pennewell Davis 6 years, 9 months ago

well as much as it pains me I think oldenuf is right but I am waiting until details are in. Well not gruesome details.

HyparuaDrachua 6 years, 9 months ago

GSWtothe heart - I appreciate your 'belief' however, my comment does not lend to accusation. I'm sorry to tell you that a major university in this town is not immune to a huge problem. My comment references a particular siutation. Due to the user agreement on this site, I cannot give further specifics. I can mention that Kansas is passing laws to prevent these situations from happening thanks to the Kansas Human Rights Commission and Womens Coalition. Illinois by far is the most progressive state preventing any employer from taking adverse action against an employee going thru domestic abuse/stalking etc. I hope someday that you will also support victims rights.I would appreciate your reference to the CA situation if you have that information or link. Thank you.

Christine Pennewell Davis 6 years, 9 months ago

ok I would say woman hurt helicopter called transported to hospital, all says medical emergency, now if they had said something like self inflicted wounds or inflicted wounds or injury from a fall when explaing the coroner being there would have been better. I say yep this was a "medical" emergency now the question is crime or no crime.

Christine Pennewell Davis 6 years, 9 months ago

not attacking just saying in genaral don't go crazy people you know how people tend to get fixed on a theme and run. But this is really strange though.

bearded_gnome 6 years, 9 months ago

hey, ljworld!look, caption and article, giving two different addresses! 15th versus e. 1500! ***from what I caught on the scanner mom, its not clear whether this is why the chopper was there. that call was reported as an accident, i.e. traffic accident.

johndeeregirl 6 years, 9 months ago

Wow, I live close and it look the helicopter a long time to land. I watched it for about twenty mins and that was at 10:45.

packs_of_wild_dogzz 6 years, 9 months ago

BREAKING NEWS Sheriff investigating injuries to a woman!**********That's it??? That's breaking news??? How about actually reporting on some pertinent information. If it's not available, then there's really no breaking news is there. On the bright side, we now have 4-5 straight days of front page news about Sherron Collins even though very little information is NEW news.

Dixie Jones 6 years, 9 months ago

hum now who can you start a rumor about ??? dang and it was starting to go so well too.... thank you john for clearing this up so promptly .whom ever this person is i certainly hope they are ok.

smartmomma 6 years, 9 months ago

I am thinking the helicopter at the fairgrounds and this incident are two seperate things....seeing that this happened out in the country...why would they need to land at 4H? Isn't there plenty of room out there...maybe in a field?Just a thought..............

1029 6 years, 9 months ago

The ljworld needs to take it easy with all this so-called "breaking news". It's really getting out of hand lately.

angeleyes 6 years, 9 months ago

yeah , my sons went running after the helecopter last night . other say it was midge from the humane society who was shot. so journal world who was shot. what the heck happened tell the truth

HyparuaDrachua 6 years, 9 months ago

Federal and state laws are rapidly changing to reflect our country's deepening commitment to ending all forms of violence against women. For example, in 1994, Congress enacted the Violence Against Women Act (VAWA), which launched multi-strategic initiatives to eliminate violence against women, including domestic violence. VAWA authorized funding to increase services, education and research addressing domestic violence, rape and sexual assault, created new federal felonies, and included an historic provision declaring that all citizens have a civil right to be free from gender-based violence. Other federal legislation has been introduced, and will continue to be introduced, that specifically addresses the impact of domestic violence on the workplace. For example, proposals authorize leave for battered women, require states to permit women who have left their jobs due to domestic violence to obtain unemployment benefits, prohibit employers from taking adverse job actions against women who have survived domestic violence, rape or sexual assault, create tax incentives for employers who implement domestic violence awareness training programs, and make employers liable to victims for employers' role in gender-motivated crimes that occur at work. (refer to link below for full text)Supervisors/Managers:http://www.endabuse.org/programs/display.php3?DocID=75

packs_of_wild_dogzz 6 years, 9 months ago

HAHAHA. Waiting until the details are in? Yeah right. LJW promotes "blind speculation" by posting half a**ed stories and letting the forums go bonkers. Nobody ever waits for the details. Informative it is not, entertaining perhaps.

GSWtotheheart 6 years, 9 months ago

Hey HyparuaDrachua, you are the person that posted the link about the lady in CA who was beaten, took time off work, was fired, etc. I got all that from reading after clicking on the link you posted. WTF? Do you not know what you are posting? Put down the bong, fool.Once again I say that one instance does not make this a pattern. You also are only hearing one side of the story. KU has its own rights and responsibilities as to how they run their campus. Just because you know somebody who may have been fired for poor attendance caused by domestic violence, that does not mean that's the norm or even the truth. You are likely only hearing one side of the story and not the full story. Terminations take mulitple write-ups, counseling, and then the action is only recommended to HR by the department. Termination is not just oh, she got beaten up and missed work so we are firing her. It just does not happen that way.Furthermore, KU has an Appeals Board that an employee can present their side of the story to and if it was found that HR acted improperly by terminating the employee, the Appeals Board (made up of classified and unclassified staff and a faculty member, no members of the administration) would have recommended the employee not be terminated.I am for victim's rights, having been abused myself in my first marriage. I called the cops and they wouldn't do anything. I had no family around to help me and my hubby had either slept with or tried to sleep with all my female friends so they were all gone and I was alone. I had to go to work with black eyes, a broken nose, split lips, broken blood vessels in my arm and foot, choke marks around my neck, boot prints on my chest, and after having been forced have sex with the hubby after he did all that to me. I felt alone and lost and NEVER want any other woman to go through those experiences. I see nothing in my post above that has anything to do with me being against victim's rights. Again, put down the bong. Stop assuming and generalizing. Stop making blanket statements about KU as fact just because you heard one side of a story.Stop hiding behind the user agreement as a way to make accusations without any verification.Thank YOU

jaycat 6 years, 9 months ago

Maybe she was attacked by one of those crazy Canadian feet.

Tammie Bryant 6 years, 9 months ago

So, what we know is that someone was hurt bad enough to need a helicopter.

packs_of_wild_dogzz 6 years, 9 months ago

This story was updated to include the color of gloves the coroner was wearing, and to let everyone know there is a red truck outside and flowers on the porch????? Nice job bozos.

jackpot 6 years, 9 months ago

How can you map it? Is it 15 st. or 1500 road? Cap on pic. said one thing story said another

HyparuaDrachua 6 years, 9 months ago

GSWtotheheart = I see - you are referencing the "Double Jeapordy" link above. I do apologize. I did not understand when you mentioned CA. As you say here, "my bad".Yes, what you say of a permanent university employee is correct and a very important aspect to point out. There are protections. However, in certain places (as in the case I know of) if an employee is not past their 6 month probationary period, the university can do what ever it wants = they can extend these "probationary periods" in order to make a termination 'legal' even when someone is undergoing domestic violence and stalking. Unfortunately, that is the down side to "employment at will" states (not to mention the power of a university) and that is why legislatures are beginning to pass laws to help protect these victims.I am sorry to hear of the troubles you have had and the abuse you experienced. That is horrible. My heart goes out to you.Godspeed.

epa_man 6 years, 9 months ago

OK, I think I got it figured out. Zombie from cemetery attacks woman. She fights back somehow killing the zombie but in the struggle is wounded. In an effort to prevent her from becoming zombie the fly her off to a remote location. Coroner is there investigate zombie.

Christine Pennewell Davis 6 years, 9 months ago

ok people we do not know what happened yet so do not go to crazy.

Jonathan Kealing 6 years, 9 months ago

I can tell you all that the rumor about this involving Midge is not true. We've checked it out and she is OK. Thanks.Jonathan KealingOnline editor

bearded_gnome 6 years, 9 months ago

heck, for all we know, might've been some one in that house bled out from ebola!

lori 6 years, 9 months ago

50 is elderly? I would disagree. Anyone can fall down the stairs and sustain a serious head injury, not just those elderly people in their 40s and 50s.

woxy 6 years, 9 months ago

OldEnuf2beYourDad,Obviously you're not old enough to be MY dad if you think 50 is elderly.

jackpot 6 years, 9 months ago

hey bearded gnome: about the address etc. maybe LJW is just keeping the costs down. we not need no proof readers we got spell check. proof readers and editors jobs use to be to check spelling and to see if the story "read right" also. they would catch the address being wrong before the press even started. but now hit one button it's to the press and on line in a flash. what ever happened to the five "W's" of reporting?

OldEnuf2BYurDad 6 years, 9 months ago

Elderly woman & stairs. I've seen this before, and it's a bad thing. God Bless her.

Paula Kissinger 6 years, 9 months ago

OK, enough moronic comments. No one was shot. The woman fell backwards down a flight of stairs and sustained a severe head injury. If other people are involved or whether drugs or alcohol played a part in her fall was not known at the time of the incident. The LPD is just trying to figure out what happened as she was evidently in no condition to speak to them at the time they began the investigation. Also, the fairground area is the closest acceptable place for the landing.

bearded_gnome 6 years, 9 months ago

thanks a lot Johnathan. wow, we don't know much about what really happened, and we got people demanding to know:I'm not sure what to make of this. We deserve to know what happened!!!--and, we already got trillions of electrons spilled on domestic violence issues based only on one poster's agenda. which, by the way, all those links and resources ignore male victims of domestic violence and often promote the stereotype that men aren't victimized, or let themselves be victimized. also, promote the feminist view that all men are potential perps. why is this pushing my buttons? I was a male victim of domestic violence. some women use the societal push to prevent domestic violence aagainst women to hide behind while being violent themselves. now, ditch the amazing speculations! zombie? yeah! that was funny. being on the edge of town, what about a rampaging cow? or, giant black snake? they live out that way! blue gloves/? blue booties? "it was observed that some of the officers, and the coroner, were ... actually breathing ... while they entered and exited the home." geeeeeez! GMAB! ***about the address, yes I know n1500 and e. 15th are the same on either side of the city's edge. however, the addresses listed then were inconsistant.

bearded_gnome 6 years, 9 months ago

you are correct JP. it is surprising how much editing we fearless posters do for them! five w's, you've gotta be kiddin' these days!

bearded_gnome 6 years, 9 months ago

1. 50 is not elderly! ["heh, you kids get off my lawn!]2. was she helped to fall down the stairs?3. careful, we've already had a false post on here. anybody can post anything, 4. as I said, for all we know, a woman might have bled out with ebola. try some patience. at least we do know there isn't an earthquake fault there; isn't an aligator what did it; no quicksand; no paranas; frozen tundra; or molten lava. any other possibilities anybody would like to eliminate? *here's from the want ads:CONTRACT TYPIST needed for consulting firm. Experience with Dictaphone preferred. ...so, maybe the dictaphone did it!

bearded_gnome 6 years, 9 months ago

well, I'm using hyperbole to demonstrate that we just don't know much. and we have people commenting, they deserve to know. GMAB!