Archive for Thursday, June 19, 2008

Collins’ lawyers answer lawsuit

Judge asked to set aside judgment against KU basketball player

A certified letter about a personal injury claim sent to KU basketball player Sherron Colins had an incomplete address on it, Collins' lawyers argued in court filings recently.

June 19, 2008, 2:37 p.m. Updated June 20, 2008, 12:00 a.m.

The motion filed in Douglas County District Court states that Collins, 21, did not intentionally ignore notices of the lawsuit when it was filed May 14. Instead, Collins thought a previously hired attorney was handling the matter and was not aware that attorney had terminated his attorney-client relationship.

In an affidavit as well as a draft of a response and counterclaim to the lawsuit, Collins denies the allegations that he assaulted the woman who filed the lawsuit.

In the lawsuit, Jessica J. Brown, a former employee at Jayhawker Towers, claimed that in May 2007 Collins exposed himself in an elevator and rubbed against her. She sought damages in excess of $75,000 for mental and physical problems.

"I am 100 percent innocent of any of the inappropriate behavior Ms. Brown alleges," Collins states in the affidavit. "I apologize for the confusion and I intended no disrespect to the court."

On Monday, Douglas County Judge Jack Murphy signed a journal entry granting the default judgment because Collins had not responded to the lawsuit in the 20 days since it had been filed as required by law. No specific amount for damages had been determined.

Chris Burger, one of the Lawrence attorneys representing Collins, said it was "especially unfortunate" that some publicity surrounding the lawsuit created "extremely prejudicial and false impressions" that concluded the court had acted on the merits of the case and ruled in favor of the plaintiff.

"It is unfortunate that people have been willing to believe the plaintiff's allegations simply because she has made them," he said. "When the merits are heard, they will prove Mr. Collins' innocence of these heinous allegations."

In a draft of the counterclaim, Collins maintains that Brown conveyed false information to third parties with intent to deprive him of the benefits of public confidence and social acceptance. Brown's allegations are "egregious and damaging" and "outrageous," the draft states. It also states Collins' intention to seek monetary damages from Brown.

Collins maintains in the affidavit signed Wednesday that he hired an attorney last summer when he was informed of Brown's allegations. He thought that attorney was getting copies of the recent documents he was receiving. The name of the attorney was not included in the affidavit. Collins said he was unaware that the attorney had sent him a letter saying that he no longer represented Collins.

The alleged incident has been under investigation by the Kansas University Public Safety Office since Brown reported it more than a year ago. Possible evidence is now being examined for the second time by the Kansas Bureau of Investigation's crime lab. Brown's attorney, Jim Wisler, said this week the lawsuit was filed because the one-year statute of limitations in a civil case for such an incident was almost up.

Wisler didn't immediately respond to a message for comment left with his office Thursday afternoon. Brown has not been available for comment.

A court hearing to set damages had been scheduled for July 8. It was unclear whether Collins' motion, filed Wednesday and which became public Thursday, might mean there will be an earlier hearing. Murphy will decide Collins' motions.

Comments

JDB 5 years, 10 months ago

A question for the legal eagles out there.What are the odds of a defendant receiving an award on a counter claim in cases of this nature?Is it typical? If so is it usually used as a negotiation or public relations tool, a means of running up the plaintiff's legal expenses &/or stress levels in the hopes they'll settle or drop the suit, or do they sometimes prevail on these counter claims?Are these types of counterclaims much of a risk to the plaintiff if the plaintiff is in fact telling the truth?Thanks for any insight(s) that might be provided.

KEITHMILES05 5 years, 10 months ago

Buddy............here are you comments. I'm really interested in what you meant.Also for some of us that have high school daughters, we have heard many stories from the girls. Whether they are true or not, I do not know, but why are so many girls in Lawrence talking about Sherron and not saying another KU players name. They all use his name. I would not want this to happen to my daughter."

KEITHMILES05 5 years, 10 months ago

Buddy2me..........why would I go "hang out at high schools?"I am hardly of age to do that and even if I did nobody would tell me a thing.Hence, if you have some sort of news on this front just say it. No need to pussy foot around and insinuate........just say it.By what you previously said I feel you are implying Sherron does "more than meets the eye." If that be the case just put it out there what it is you believe.

JDB 5 years, 10 months ago

20 June 2008 at 4:39 p.mdenak : I think you are probably going to win this bet although I do not really understand how he can claim "excusable neglect."=====================Actually, the standard is much more lenient than that, at least according to this article which states:"In his motion, Collins' attorneys argue that legal standards for setting aside the judgment have been met. The law allows for instances of "mistakes, inadvertence : or inexcusable neglect.""======It shouldn't be hard for a high powered law firm to show that there was "inexcusable neglect". ;)

JDB 5 years, 10 months ago

19 June 2008 at 4:19 p.m.geniusmannumber1: "But to accuse any of the parties of vile, inhuman behavior makes us all poorer for being subjected to it."===================Certainly accusing either of the parties here is a bit iffy. On the other hand it would appear that at least one of them is quite a scoundrel. One of them is lying and is being quite cruel to the other party. There doesn't seem to be any chance of a middle ground where "He's OK, She's OK".There are at least a couple of things that are troubling to me here in addition to the obvious. One is that Sherron apparently didn't remember this whole thing about having another lawyer who he thought was taking care of it all until a few days later.First he was saying that he didn't know what his responsibilities were. Then Self got involved and said it was because he was out of town visiting his sick father, and that wasn't really an excuse as he should have been taking care of business, but...Now, he's hired a high powered law firm and suddenly it was just all a misunderstaning between Sherron and this unnamed previous lawyer.and it appears they're going after Ms. Brown quite aggressively. If she really is some golddigger making all this up for money or attention, great. Hopefully she gets the punishment she deserves. If not, this is another assault on her and they should all be ashamed of it.I'm also rather disturbed that the Kansas Bureau of Investigation has been sitting on the evidence sample sent to them for over a year and has never said a word about it. Now suddenly they're doing a "second study"? What were the results of the first one?Regardless of how this turns out, this does not seem to be a well handled investigation by the police department, campus security or the KBI.

denak 5 years, 10 months ago

"...I'll take that bet. I will wager the Court sets it aside and allows the case to be tried on the merits...."lol. You're on Baille. The lawyer vs the paralegal student. :)I'm actually very interested to see how all of this ends up. I'm not really interested in Collins or Ms Brown, just how this is all going to play out in the court.Although to be honest, from what I read in the paper today (not that that is the greatest source) I think you are probably going to win this bet although I do not really understand how he can claim "excusable neglect." Admittedly, I'm still a little vague on the whole concept (as it was explained to me in legal writing) but I don't see how they can claim that.Anyway, feel free to correct any legal mistakes I make.And let the best legal profession win! Dena

lsense 5 years, 10 months ago

fu7il3, and who are you, God? The only people that are going to know the truth are the people involved, and anyone they may have told. The rest is for the courts to decide.

fu7il3 5 years, 10 months ago

Whether or not a person is found guilty has no basis in whether they actually did it or not. There are people walking around all over the place that are guilty of things that would have them in jail if they were proven. I'm not talking about legal rights, I'm talking about actual guilt or innocence.

Jcjayhawk1 5 years, 10 months ago

Presumption of innocence is a legal right that the accused in criminal trials has in many modern nations. The burden of proof is thus on the prosecution, which has to collect and present enough compelling evidence to convince the judge and jury, who are restrained and ordered by law to consider only actual evidence and testimony that is legally admissible, and in most cases lawfully obtained, that the accused is guilty beyond a reasonable doubt.

fu7il3 5 years, 10 months ago

No one is technically innocent till proven guilty. You are either guilty, or you aren't. Regardless of proof. If he did it, he did it. If he didn't, he didn't.

Jcjayhawk1 5 years, 10 months ago

I don't need to stand up for a man that is Innocent until proven...End of discussion.

buddy2me 5 years, 10 months ago

kiethmiles05, all you have to do is go and hang out and listen to the kids at the high schools. Also doesn't take too many times out on the weekends either to see the KU Athletes out at bars! Now, come on, no where in my post did I say he had a lot of "alledged activity". I love how so many of you are sticking up for either side and you don't have a clue about what happened! Again, until you do, shut up!

nbnozzy 5 years, 10 months ago

morganlefay (Anonymous) says: I just want to send the best of luck to Sherron. I'm glad to read that he's suing her for damages for trying to ruin his good name & reputation. A majority of the people in the community are behind him and can see just how bogus this allegation is.---------------------------------------------------------Please show the stats that the "majority" of the people in the community are behind Sherron. It's okay to have your own personal opinion, but to try to back up your belief by including a probable false statement makes you look silly and leaves no validity to your post and possible future offerings to the blogs. I know more about this case than what has been presented in this story, but it is not my place to make statements about either party pending the lawsuit(s).

morganlefay 5 years, 10 months ago

KEITHMILES05 5 years, 10 months ago

Buddy2me..........what do you mean "all the girls in Lawrence are using his name"?????Are you implying he has done alot of the alleged activity?Please explain yourself.

Gootsie 5 years, 10 months ago

yep. I was right. Stay away from this thread...

lsense 5 years, 10 months ago

What is everyone getting so worked up for? Nothing has been proven or dis-proven yet, so Collins is "innocent until proven guilty." I'm not taking his side, or Browns. All I'm saying is that you shouldn't judge either until the case is over. There's a good possibility Collins did it as he thought he could probably get away with it, and on the other hand, there's a good possibility she is just in this for the money. But of course, given a suit like this, all of the sexist male-bashers rear their heads (yes, Confrontation, that was directed at people like yourself). Please, give it a rest until the case is over with.

Jim Williamson 5 years, 10 months ago

"Men who attack women do it for the feeling of power and control. For example, a naked woman running up and offering herself to a man is not going to satisfy his need to intimidate, dominate, hurt, etc. Look at Kobe. He could have any woman he wanted, but he wasn't satisfied with that. Not enough pain and suffering to satisfy him."Are you simply educating us to the psychology and dynamics of sexual assault, or are you saying Sherron Collins fits this mold?

Chocoholic 5 years, 10 months ago

jayhawker85 (Anonymous) says:"Let's look at this a little more. Jessica Brown, age 35, was working in the Jayhawk Towers at 9 p.m. on a Friday night."While May 18 was a Friday, there has been no information in any of the LJW articles this week, and no information in any of the video news blurbs, specifying that the incident took place at 9 p.m. Why are you assuming? I suppose it's not fair for me to single you out. There are plenty of other assumptions out there that are much higher on the nastiness scale.I know Jessica. She works hard to help support her family. It took lots of courage for her to make the decision to report what happened, and she anticipated with dread the inevitable tsunami that would occur when it was made public. She knew there would be assaults on her character by people who didn't even know her.But if putting herself through all the rigmarole would make the point to a young guy that acting with such disregard to another person (for the reaction? the shock value? the satisfaction of conquest? the fun of it?) is NOT okay, she thought it was worth it. Gold digger? Nope.She's tried all the right channels. She's put up with being put off for a whole year. If her attorney had not filed this civil suit, the issue would have completed its journey of slipping through the cracks.

hawkperchedatriverfront 5 years, 10 months ago

Sounds like a good reason to cage the athletes in a male supervised dorm. And hire male elevator operators and a male staff. What would happen then?

jafs 5 years, 10 months ago

When we elevate sports to such a high level, we set ourselves and the players up - the players get an elevated opinion of themselves, and schools give them all kinds of breaks.Perhaps if people weren't willing to pay such large amounts of money to attend games, the whole system would shift a little bit.Of course, this particular person is still "innocent until proven guilty", and with the rushes to judgement that I see on this post, I wonder where they can find "objective, unbiased" jurors.

starbucks 5 years, 10 months ago

A default judgment is so far removed from a finding of guilt or a sign of guilt it is laughable. You can get relief from a default judgment for any number of reasons. See K.S.A. 60-260(b). Especially when a motion to set aside is filed in a timely fashion following the granting of the default, and when there is limited evidence on the merits because the criminal investigation is still ongoing. No judge is going to whack somebody for 75K on the basis of facial allegations raised in a petition, especially a 20 year-old college who is a week late in filing an answer.

starbucks 5 years, 10 months ago

buddy2me...and until you have a good friend that is accused of something that is completely fabricated, you'll never understand.your post is absolutely idiotic. "why are so many girls saying sherron's name...."proof your daughter and her friends are nothing but jersey chasers that want the attention. they are the dangerous ones. because once a player stops giving that attention, the jersey chasers have a tendency to make up stories.you are a terrible mother for even thinking the way you do.

Pudgy1 5 years, 10 months ago

where did it say this occurred at 9 PM?

buddy2me 5 years, 10 months ago

davidsmom, until you have it done to you or someone close to you, you will never understand. A friend very close to me had this happen to her, listening to her talk about the incident makes me sick. And for those that think 35 year olds should not be working for $10 an hour, what a bunch of crap! At least she is working. There are a lot that would not be working and living off of welfare, so be glad that she is trying to make a living. Don't put down anyone trying to make it in this day and age! Also for some of us that have high school daughters, we have heard many stories from the girls. Whether they are true or not, I do not know, but why are so many girls in Lawrence talking about Sherron and not saying another KU players name. They all use his name. I would not want this to happen to my daughter.

kujayhawk 5 years, 10 months ago

I thought the athlete graduation rate was better than the general graduation rate of incoming freshman.

fu7il3 5 years, 10 months ago

"Jessica Brown, age 35, was working in the Jayhawk Towers at 9 p.m. on a Friday night. Hmmm: I don't know too many 35 year old people who work in $10-12 jobs on campus at that hour:You've obviously never been in a campus building at that hour.

davidsmom 5 years, 10 months ago

I don't know what happened on that elevator and I'm not passing judgment on either party, but just trying to understand the story, and I still don't understand how rubbing against someone could cause physical harm.

Barclay 5 years, 10 months ago

smarty_pants is right. When our gods (KU athletes) are man made we have to prop them back up when they fall. I Samuel 5;3.Worship of man made things, like our wetlands, certainly makes us irrational.

smarty_pants 5 years, 10 months ago

Stop taking up for this thug. He thinks he's "all that," but he most likely is not a candidate to go pro, and he'll end up leaving KU with NO degree (like 90+% of the scholarship athletes) and be a burden on society. All you KU hoops fanatics who are sticking by him should find another religion.

jayhawker85 5 years, 10 months ago

Keegan should write a column about how Jessica Brown should have taken a crappy job on campus at Duke or an escorting job somewhere around Raleigh, N.C.. If she wanted to get some money she would have done that. I suggest Sherron goes this route at some point:http://www.usatoday.com/sports/college/lacrosse/2008-05-27-duke-lacrosse-suit_N.htm

jayhawker85 5 years, 10 months ago

Let's look at this a little more. Jessica Brown, age 35, was working in the Jayhawk Towers at 9 p.m. on a Friday night. Hmmm... I don't know too many 35 year old people who work in $10-12 jobs on campus at that hour... Think about it. Gold-digger... how sad. Poor Sherron.

Baille 5 years, 10 months ago

"his lawyer would have explained all of this to him, stressing that the summons was time sensitive. However, what I find interesting is that the lawyer withdrew from the case. In order for a lawyer to do that, he must petition the court."My take on the news story is that he did not have an attorney in the civil case. There was a prior attorney - maybe consulted for this, maybe something else - but that representation ended prior to service of process. (Closure letters are smart when representation ends.) In any case, no lawyer ever entered an appearance so a motion to withdraw was not necessary."I sincerely doubt the judge is going to set aside the judgment. The attorneys are going to have a better reason then bad legal advice."I'll take that bet. I will wager the Court sets it aside and allows the case to be tried on the merits.

Multidisciplinary 5 years, 10 months ago

In England right now a top story is four drunk footballers raping a woman after losing a game.The players have refused to cooperate with the police.

denak 5 years, 10 months ago

I don't know why people are so hung up on the lack of a criminal case in this matter. Just because the D.A. did not file formal charges, does not mean that there was no crime. It could simply mean that the D.A. decided to not file charges due to the lack of evidence or witnesses. In a criminal case, the state has to prove the charges "beyond a reasonable doubt." In cases where there is a "he said, she said" situation, it is sometimes really hard to prove this. Again, doesn't mean there wasn't a crime, just that it isn't neccessarily proveable beyond a reasonable doubt.In a civil case, the standard of proof is different. One only has to prove a proponderance of evidence.However, this case didn't even get that far. When someone files a complaint, a summons is issued by the court. The defendant has a certain number of days to answer the summons. He can deny or admit the charges and/or assert an affirmative defense. If the defendant doesn't, then the court will enter a default judgement establishing the defendant's liabitlity. The way the court looks at it is, if you are innocent then you would fight the charges. If you don't, then you must be "guilty" of the charges asserted in the complaint.As for the reason, she waited a year to file charges. Maybe she was trying to "just get over it" as someone suggest she should. Maybe she was going to therapy and still traumatized. We don't know what she has gone through.As for Collins saying he didn't know. I find that hard to believe. First of there is the summons. Secondly, his lawyer would have explained all of this to him, stressing that the summons was time sensitive. However, what I find interesting is that the lawyer withdrew from the case. In order for a lawyer to do that, he must petition the court. Most lawyers won't withdraw from a case unless the client wants them to do something illegal, or the client is uncorporative, or there is a conflict of interest that comes to light. I sincerely doubt the judge is going to set aside the judgment. The attorneys are going to have a better reason then bad legal advice.So, we will see what happens. But it seems to me that Collins is going to learn a very hard lesson one way or the other.Dena

commuter 5 years, 10 months ago

Something doesn't smell right. KUPD had to send test sample twice- once then do another test. To me it sounds like they didn't get the result they wanted the first time (just speculation).I find the comments pretty sick that he can get any woman he wants. Maybe he was drunk, high, arrogant or just plain stupid and he thought she might like it because he is a KU athlete. I can't wait to hear all of the details.

jonas 5 years, 10 months ago

gram77 (Anonymous) says:"ku athletes get by with everything!"CJ Giles.

gram77 5 years, 10 months ago

Collins doesn't sound too bright. Who's your lawyer idiot? Don't know? SOUNDS GUILTY!!! KU athletes get by with everything!

Confrontation 5 years, 10 months ago

Newsreader, good try at covering up your disgusting opinion. I hope the females in your life never get around a man who feels the need to dominate and assault. We all know that popular and attractive men could never attack a woman.

Leprechaunking13 5 years, 10 months ago

What exactly classifies a "thug"? Someone who smokes pot and got caught, like Aqib? Or are you going by incidents that you don't have the entire information on and just label someone as a thug? Do you expect them to handle problems with their athletes externally? The university and city are so ingrained within each other that we find out about these problems with so-called thugs as you put it kuhoops, quickly and easily. The athletic program handles these situations pretty damn well and why wouldnt the coaches and AD's stand by their athlete until its proven that they are guilty?

Pudgy1 5 years, 10 months ago

KUHOOPS, do you often wonder where Sherron Collins or other student athletes get the money to pay for the lawyers they obtain? Where to they get the high dollar rides they drive? When folks like Sherron issue a public statement, it's obviously prepared by an attorney and very carefully worded. I'll bet the average college student wishes he/she had that kind of help when they screw up.

jonas 5 years, 10 months ago

Whoops, screw up. This doesn't seem like his kind of thread, thought I was on the Bush thread. My apologies.

jonas 5 years, 10 months ago

Did Balik get booted again? This seems like his kind of thread.

Kent Fisher 5 years, 10 months ago

Ignorance of the law (and responsibilities) is not an acceptable excuse. How many of you are sick and tired of hearing about these types of incidents smeared across the media, i.e., Brandon Rush, Aqib Talib, etc.? These are incidences that have been publicized, however, I, too, know of another major incident that was "covered" up that could have done great damage to the university and athletic department. We have a great university and athletic program, however, let those without sin cast the first stone. We have had plenty of embarrassing incidents, and most were "minimized" by the athletic dept., i.e., Talib. I'll say this again, that I am as big a KU fan as anybody, but DO NOT want thugs to play for us, regardless of their talent. I want a ZERO tolerance policy. How many of you are tired of hearing the cliche's, and "coach-speak" such as, "we'll support him/her while it's under investigation," or "we'll deal with it internally," or "he/she is a good person," etc??? In the meantime, the student/athlete gets to play which isn't fair to the rest of the athletes who stay out of trouble. But as fans, we are sure glad our star athletes were allowed to play, and weren't suspended. Fans are fickle and hypocrites. We sure love to poke fun at the Mizzou athletic department's problems, but we turn the cheek with our own troubles and try to justify each incident. Suck it up fellow KU fans, and let's set hard standards to live by, instead of numerous incidents that are minimized and "dealt with internally."

Baille 5 years, 10 months ago

"Well as a victim, did she ever contact the DA's office to see if criminal charges were going to be filed? Did she contact KUPD to check on the status of the investigation?"For that matter, why the hell didn't she go down to the KBI lab herself and run the test? What was she thinking?--------------------------------------------------------------------------"BTW if this John Q. Student on the National Championship Debate Team would this be an issue in the paper or in the court of public comments?"No.----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------"For all the people that grabbed and grouped Sharron during the parade can he now sue them??"Depends. Was the grabbing and grouping (seriously?) done in a rude or insolent manner? Did it involve any alleged sexual battery? Did anyone leave any "testable material" whereby the alleged assailant(s) could be identified?

ku_law 5 years, 10 months ago

FYI- Damages in excess of 75,000.00 is common language in most civil suits. If you ask for an amount less than 75,000, you have to specify the precise amount you want. If you want more than 75,000 you don't have to be specific and say 200,000 (for example); you simply say you suffered damages in excess of 75,000.00. So, she is probably hoping for more than 75,000, it just isn't necessary or required to state how much more than that in the pleadings.

Bob Forer 5 years, 10 months ago

Congratulations to Genius for the most reasonable post to-date on the issue. mo

Jcjayhawk1 5 years, 10 months ago

"For all the people that grabbed and grouped Sharron during the parade can he now sue them?" -RocksolidGood point

rocksolid 5 years, 10 months ago

Well as a victim, did she ever contact the DA's office to see if criminal charges were going to be filed? Did she contact KUPD to check on the status of the investigation?If she wants justice why didn't she do these things and keep on top of the people in charge of this. The DA's office has a victims rights coordinator to assist with this information. Makes you wonder why this course of action was taken and does this happen more often than not when criminal charges are not filed. And if so lets put all the names of civil action defendants in paper. BTW if this John Q. Student on the National Championship Debate Team would this be an issue in the paper or in the court of public comments? For all the people that grabbed and grouped Sharron during the parade can he now sue them??

Jcjayhawk1 5 years, 10 months ago

hawkperchedatriverfront 5 years, 10 months ago

The best part of living in Rawlins County, Trego County, Oberlin and Hugoton is that elevators are scarce. Only the grain elevators and not many people are going up and down in them. So which direction were the accused and victim going in the elevator? Up or down? Which direction please. Just the facts and only the facts. Wonder if they both had a budwhysir before entering the elevator. $75,000 is a tidy sum just for being brushed up against.My , we all have so much time on our hands, and this rain doesnt' help the matter. It makes smelling the flowers and petting the neighbor's non barking dog, unlike the barking dogs of the Neighborhood Groups.

alm77 5 years, 10 months ago

I totally agree with confront "Men who attack women do it for the feeling of power and control." Say, just for an example, possibly to intimidate a woman in charge of your place of residence when you're a teenage superstar.

jrudyhawk 5 years, 10 months ago

'Yet another stupid statement. Men who attack women do it for the feeling of power and control. For example, a naked woman running up and offering herself to a man is not going to satisfy his need to intimidate, dominate, hurt, etc. Look at Kobe. He could have any woman he wanted, but he wasn't satisfied with that. Not enough pain and suffering to satisfy him.'Wow! Hate men much? While Kobe may have been a jackass for cheating on his wife he was not convicted. In fact, after the details and the accuser's history came out it was pretty obvious that it was nothing more than a money grab, or just an extremely mentally troubled woman. She had sex with two different partners a few days AFTER the alleged rape! Not a woman, but unfortunately know a woman who's been attacked. Fairly certain NO woman is gonna behave like that after something so traumatic.

geniusmannumber1 5 years, 10 months ago

Look, I know this is a charged issue. I know some women are assaulted and not believed. I know some women make things up for financial/other gain because they'll likely find someone (attorney) willing to listen to them. I know that each case varies and is largely going to turn on a set of facts that only two people ever really know, both with vested interests in the outcome, and the resolution's never going to satisfy anyone. I deal with it by putting my faith in the justice system which gets it right more often than not; others may disagree, and I'll freely admit it's to some extent a "whatever gets you through the night" sort of argument. But to accuse any of the parties of vile, inhuman behavior makes us all poorer for being subjected to it.

Baille 5 years, 10 months ago

"Brown had thought a criminal case was still in the works she probably wouldn't have filed this civil case. "Well, that would have been monumentally stupid. The statute of limitation (legal deadline to file a suit) does not go away just because a criminal case is or may be pending.

newsreader 5 years, 10 months ago

Exaclty Genius!Whose statement was the stupid one? Mine, which i clearly labeled as my opinion... or the one from Confrontation which didn't make sense because Kobe was not convicted....

geniusmannumber1 5 years, 10 months ago

Yeah, look at Kobe! It's just like the time he was convicted of ... err ....Yep, if a woman said it, he must have done it. Savages in this town.

Confrontation 5 years, 10 months ago

"Not saying the woman is lying: but I don't exaclty envision Collins needing to entice a girl to get with him, I'm sure he has plunty waiting for when he wants them."Yet another stupid statement. Men who attack women do it for the feeling of power and control. For example, a naked woman running up and offering herself to a man is not going to satisfy his need to intimidate, dominate, hurt, etc. Look at Kobe. He could have any woman he wanted, but he wasn't satisfied with that. Not enough pain and suffering to satisfy him.

rocksolid 5 years, 10 months ago

Well obviously if the LJW forgot that a criminal case had not been resolved before naming people, why would he need an attorney,if he felt there were no criminal charges? I don't think KU athletes keep attorney's on a retainer.If Mrs. Brown had thought a criminal case was still in the works she probably wouldn't have filed this civil case. (yeah right).Remember he has not be found guilty of anything just not responding to the court. Kinda like a failure to appear in court warrant. It is a slap in the face by the court to get your attention. Mrs Brown don't start spending you money yet, a trial is just around the corner.

newsreader 5 years, 10 months ago

He didn't subject his lawyer to criticism... he subjected his OLD lawyer to it... heheNot saying the woman is lying... but I don't exaclty envision Collins needing to entice a girl to get with him, I'm sure he has plunty waiting for when he wants them.

Pudgy1 5 years, 10 months ago

"Attorneys for Kansas University basketball player Sherron Collins have filed a motion to set aside a default judgment against him in a civil lawsuit."Attorney(S)?? he needs more than ONE attorney? hmm. where DOES he get the money for multiple attorneyS?

Pudgy1 5 years, 10 months ago

well, he's a "star". he can't be expected to be responsible or anything like that. He shouldn't have to do anything except eat, sleep, go to practice and rub himself against women on an elevator!

OnAir 5 years, 10 months ago

Don't be ridiculous. Of course he knows, but why would he subject his lawyer to criticism? Or himself to even more!!

stuckinthemiddle 5 years, 10 months ago

fu7il3sounds a bit suspect, doesn't it...

fu7il3 5 years, 10 months ago

He thought a previously hired attorney was handling the matter? He doesn't know who his attorney(s) is/are?

screedposter 5 years, 10 months ago

"In a draft of a response and counterclaim to the lawsuit, Collins denies the allegations that he assaulted the woman who filed the lawsuit."Now we're talkin'