Archive for Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Student play focuses on monkey trial

June 18, 2008

The topic of human evolution will take the stage starting Thursday as Summer Youth Theatre performs "Inherit the Wind," a play based on the 1925 Scopes monkey trial. A cast of 25 students, in eighth through 12th grades, are staging the production as part of the annual program at the Lawrence Arts Center. The play, by Jerome Robbins and Robert E. Lee, is being directed by Chris Roady. The show runs at 7:30 p.m. Thursday, Friday and Saturday, with a 2 p.m. matinee on Sunday, all at the arts center, 940 N.H.

Comments

bondmen 6 years, 3 months ago

The movie version and the trial facts are like Robert Frost's The Road Not Taken where two roads diverged in a yellow wood; the trial facts will be found on the road less traveled by and that makes all the difference!Trial Facts http://www.gennet.org/facts/scopes.htmlThe Poem http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Road...

bondmen 6 years, 3 months ago

I beg to differ Baille. See how this paragraph fits:"Political Correctness is intellectual AIDS. Everything it touches it sickens and eventually kills. On America's college campuses it has diminished freedom of speech, warped curricula, politicized grading and replaced intellectual integrity with vapid sloganeering. In classroom after classroom, professors offer an ideological rant, which students are compelled to regurgitate to get a grade: the vomit returns to the dog. These places--and they are many--are no longer universities, but small, ivy-covered North Koreas."http://www.blueagle.com/editorials/Lind_982.htm

oldvet 6 years, 3 months ago

"retarded" is not a very PC phrase... how about an "evolutionaly developmentally-challenged primate"

Baille 6 years, 3 months ago

Is that what I "announced?" How odd. I don't recall writing that - not even between the lines. I mean I don't mind you taking a contrary position and offering support for it, Godot, but at least allow me the luxury of making my own arguments. I know that arguments are easier to refute through re-characterization, but that hardly seems sporting.I do appreciate it that you have elevated me to either the spokesperson or representative model for the Democratic party. Nice. Guess I better register as one.For the record, I think "cracker" is on par with "retard" and "faggot." Labeling and strawman arguments are simply signs of intellectual laziness, advocacy instead of argument, and reaffirmation of one's identity through waging war with words. Tragic really. I am getting a little teary. Must be the Democratic side of me fighting through to the surface.

Baille 6 years, 3 months ago

PC is an overused cliche that has lost whatever meaning it may have once had. It now exists merely to shield the rude and offensive and allow jackasses to think of themselves as some sort of noble social warrior rebelling against the expectations of society. The reality is that those who persist in labeling people "retarded," "faggot," or similarly offensive words are not rebels, but callous souls who have little regard for those that may be different from themselves.

james bush 6 years, 3 months ago

The more our college educated teachers promote evolution, the more our young people seem to be acting like uncivil(ized) monkeys.

B116510475 6 years, 3 months ago

Please go see this Show the kids have worked really hard and they are really good!!!

bondmen 6 years, 3 months ago

Unfortunately Baille you are not in charge in academia. Political Correctness is alive and well and pervades the middle and grade school as much as the town hall. It has a genesis in historical time, produced by men with a massive, mischievous change agenda. Unfortunately it has not died the death it is due and many people with new ideas are discouraged and diminished by it heavy handedness and the way it is wielded by those in power.Please familiarize yourself with the main actors in this pernicious, putrid play:http://www.observations.net/marxism/C_chapter_two.pdf

Baille 6 years, 3 months ago

I believe in a free exchange of ideas without retribution - especially at the college level. Without exception. And I practice what I preach.However, in my experience, people have come to use the term "PC" to excuse them calling someone else "retarded" or "faggot" or "towel-head" or something equally offensive. Saying that is inappropriate is not PC. It is true.On the other hand, if you want to discuss the impact that mainstreaming kids that require special services has on a public school system - that debate should occur freely. If you want to debate what effect unchecked immigration from areas historically hostile to the US has on national security - that debate should occur freely. But these debates should occur without calling people "retarded" or "wetbacks" or similarly inappropriate labels.On of the hardest classes I sat through oh so long ago dealt with the sociology of rape. That was a difficult class and some people had a hard time discussing it without giving offense across the board; however, that offense needed to take place. People with strong opinions needed to have those opinions challenged regardless of the ideological well from which they sprung. If one would have tried to censor that debate by being "too PC" or whatever, learning would have been impossible. To that extent decrying political correctness is justified. But that is not the way the term is used most of the time.Now I have no argument with the proposition that some professors - especially young or new professors - have a difficulty with open debate in a classroom. That can be intimidating. But thankfully running into those kinds of professors is fairly rare. I know from experience you can get good grades in an institution of higher education by regurgitating principles and perspectives shared by the professor, but I also know that one can get good grades by challenging those same principles and perspectives if the student does so in a manner that is respectful, articulate, and reflects an understanding of the material appropriate for the level of the course. Too often in these situations it is the intellectually lazy students that sits back and bemoans the "PC professor" when it is really the student that lacks insight, understanding, and/or the ability to articulate his/her position.

Baille 6 years, 3 months ago

Wow, Bondmen. I have taught in institutions of higher education over the years and I have yet to see evidence of this Marxist conspiracy. Can't see the forest for the trees, I suppose. (Cliches all around!)Your link seems to reflect a perversion of the issues raised in Bloom's excellent book on the matter, "The Closing of the American Mind." Excerpt from Amazon: "Bloom is angry about college students tolerant of everything, they cannot appreciate the virtues of Lockean democracy and often abandon the great questions about God and man. Meanwhile, the humanities are like "a refugee camp where all the geniuses driven out of their jobs and countries . . . are idling." The reason is partly relativism in the social sciences but largely German philosophers since Nietzsche, especially Heidegger, who 'put philosophy at the service of German culture." I agree with Bloom in many respects although I think the mentality he attacks is more pervasive with younger students than with non-traditional students. I do not believe there is an active Marxist conspiracy to subvert US institutions of higher education nor do I believe the professors I would criticize are involved in a conspiracy. Wat one may call conspiracy I would call inexperience or possibly lack of competence.

Godot 6 years, 3 months ago

Baille now announces that politically correct language is no longer in vogue? News to me. Must be because the Dems find such constraints inconvenient in their war for power. They are either willing to allow, or are unable to control, their spokespersons' use of racial, ageist, cultural and sexist slurs. Of course, in practice, the withdrawal the PC language requirement applies only to Dems. Repubs are still limited by PCness in their use of the English language.Did anyone hear Bob Beckel use the term "crackers" to describe COBO's (critics of Barack Obama) the other night? Notice that Bob Beckel has not been denounced by Obama, nor has he been made to apologize nor resign his position as a mouthpiece for the Obama campaign. That must be because the word "cracker" is so common place with the Obama entourage that he does not recognize it as a slur against white people.And, then, McCain has not demanded an apology. Obama would have, had it been the other way araound). McCain is under the delusion that he is engaged in a gentlemanly, senatorial, competition with Obama.Earth to McCain: Obama, for all intents and purposes, has never been a Senator. He entered the Senate as a presidential candidate. Since taking office, he has been on the campaign road more than he has been active in the Senate. He has no experience in the respectful behavior that you, as an old-school Senator, prize and expect from your colleagues. Obama's only prior political experience is in the Illinois legislature. Prior to that, he was an agitator. Remember how the Dems berated John Bolton for being a bully? Bolton is a kitten compared to the piranhas in the Democrat party.

bondmen 6 years, 3 months ago

I see no conspiracy as what I'm describing is not a secret nor apparently is it illegal. What I do see is a plentiful pool of people with shared collectivist values. This 'left think' is incestuous in the academy, foundations, news rooms, Hollywierd (not PC, I admit) and among the wealthy elite. Have you missed numerous reports of voices from the right, attached to body's with heads, who've been shouted off campus after campus in America or threatened with disruption to the point they don't show?Gramsci's methods of impregnating collectivism via the cultural institutions with special focus on the children, has largely been successful. There is always hope however. After long years of indoctrination, graduating students soon learn the most important lessons in the real world; one of the first being they get to pay for all the promises and programs in addition to filling out the paperwork. Baille, the people who see all this most clearly are the Americans who've legally emmigrated from formerly Soviet influenced or other Marxist countries. They are indeed welcome here!