Archive for Monday, June 16, 2008

Turnpike interchange to close for some drivers

Lawrence commuters who use the Kansas Turnpike might have to start making adjustments to their routes Monday morning.

June 16, 2008

Lawrence commuters who use the Kansas Turnpike might have to adjust their plans beginning this morning.

The turnpike authority will close the West Lawrence toll plaza to drivers who try to enter and head west toward Topeka or who try to exit there from the westbound lanes.

Drivers must use the East Lawrence or the Lecompton interchange toll plazas to head west on I-70 or to exit from the westbound lanes.

It is part of the $130 million bridge-improvement and interchange project on the turnpike in the Lawrence area. The bridge and West Lawrence ramp will be under construction in this phase, and the contractor, Hamm Inc. of Perry, has 180 days to complete the project.

During this time, drivers can still use the West Lawrence plaza to head east on Interstate 70 or to exit from the eastbound lanes.

Comments

Multidisciplinary 5 years, 10 months ago

Channel 6 just announced KTA will be putting a roundabout out there instead of the long circle.I kid you not, my strawberry kool-aid exploded out my nose all over my lap!

hipper_than_hip 5 years, 10 months ago

"Larry, Darryl and Darryl can only do one project at a time."It's more likely that the city doesn't have the guts to stand up to the KTA and tell them that dragging out construction has a negative impact on the residents and it's unacceptable. It's not like the KTA can pick up the road and move it somewhere else. The city holds the cards in situations like this but doesn't know how to play them.

Multidisciplinary 5 years, 10 months ago

hipper_than_hip (Anonymous) says: Why wasn't all this construction scheduled concurrently? The interchange work could have been done at the same time as the bridge on N. Iowa.---Larry, Darryl and Darryl can only do one project at a time.

justthefacts 5 years, 10 months ago

It appears this is only a TEMPORARY closure...but the article isn't clear on that point...... Please advise.....

hipper_than_hip 5 years, 10 months ago

shlomoek 5 years, 10 months ago

I love the turnpike driving home to see my mama in Kansas City. I don't even mind the $1.45 both ways. It is about the smoothest stretch of interstate I've had the pleasure to drive. I'm glad to see them make the needed bridge improvements. 40 is nice too, but I can't drive as fast.

jplanet 5 years, 10 months ago

Oh! I would never take 40! It's very dangerous. I had 2 friends die due to being hit by a truck on that road. The driver survived but barely. And yes, the Lecompton interchange is on the way but the West one would have been right there! :P

Robert bickers 5 years, 10 months ago

JPlanet - at least the far west booth is on the way. Saves you a few cents as well.Take 40 if you can - it's a much nicer drive.

jplanet 5 years, 10 months ago

great. I start working in Topeka next week and I live a block away from the West Lawrence Interchange. booo.

hawkperchedatriverfront 5 years, 10 months ago

A good reason to keep on driving west, far west.