Archive for Monday, June 16, 2008

Psychic vision: Lawrence girl appears on A&E series to explore intuitive abilities

Ahli Arkeketa,12, pictured with her mother, Anita, was recently part of the A&E Network's "Psychic Kids" TV show, which airs tonight. Ahli claims to be able to do intuitive healings, and she has worked on friends with ailments ranging from back pain to asthma.

June 16, 2008

Psychic Kids

When: 9 p.m. today

Where: A&E Network, Sunflower Broadband Channels 47 and 247.

On the street

Do you believe in psychic ability?

No, I don’t. I think that people who seem to be psychic have incredible powers of observation and are able to deductively arrive at conclusions that maybe other people miss.

More responses

"Sometimes I feel strange," Ahli Arkeketa says. "How do I put this ..."

The 12-year-old stops, wrangling to find the right words to describe her reality.

It's difficult when the way you see the world, the way you experience life, is different from the way most others do. Usually, it's not strange to her - it's just the way things are.

"It feels good to know I help people," she finally says.

Ahli says she is a psychic - she claims to see auras, has seen and heard spirits, has predicted others' health problems and, recently, has begun doing intuitive energy healings.

Not many people know about her claimed abilities. That will change tonight when the Lawrence girl is featured on the first-ever episode of "Psychic Kids," a series on the A&E Network.

The show airs at 9 p.m. today on Sunflower Broadband Channels 47 and 247.

Ahli's family was hesitant to thrust her into a national spotlight, unsure how friends and their church - First Baptist Church - would react.

But her mother, Anita Arkeketa-James, says years of uncertainty and health problems - both mental and physical - convinced them the benefits of being on the show might outweigh the drawbacks.

Ahli has had migraine headaches for years, and she's been diagnosed, at varying times, with attention deficit disorder, attention deficit hyperactivity disorder and childhood schizophrenia. Arkeketa-James says she was hoping being on the show - and meeting hosts Lisa Miller, a clinical psychologist, and psychic Chip Coffey - would help them understand what Ahli was experiencing.

"There was a lot to think about - a lot to deal with," Arkeketa-James says. "I always thought psychics are full of baloney."

The episode, which was filmed in March in Indiana, follows the experiences of three children who claim to be psychic, including Ahli.

Healing power

Ahli, who will be a seventh-grader at South Junior High School, did an intuitive healing as part of the taping and has done healings with five people since then for maladies ranging from asthma to back pain. To do a healing, she says, she runs her hands a few inches above a person's entire body to determine what ails them.

"I feel a tingling, warm sensation in my hands," she says.

Then, she focuses her energy and lays hands on the subject for the healing portion of the experience.

She recently attended a reiki healing workshop to learn principles of that discipline. Since she only recently realized her healing gift, she says she wants to hone her skills.

"It's a goal to be better," Ahli says. "That's my goal."

Vali Larrick, a longtime family friend, is a believer. Larrick has a herniated disc in her back that caused enough pain she missed several weeks of work. She allowed Ahli to do a healing on her back, and she returned to work the next day.

While she's not pain-free and continues to seek medical treatment, Larrick says she's convinced the healing eased her pain greatly.

"I'm not a skeptic," she says. "I believe things like that can happen. ... It's pretty amazing to me."

More accepted

Nancy Baumgarten has seen enough of these types of cases to be convinced some children do, in fact, have psychic gifts.

The North Carolina woman has a daughter - now 23 years old - who claims to be psychic. Baumgarten started a camp for psychic children in 1999, to give them a chance to be around other children with similar talents.

Baumgarten says most parents begin realizing their children have psychic abilities when they are around the age of 5.

"But they're communicating with the unseen world from the time they're infants," she says.

She says healing powers are more rare than psychic abilities, which can range from seeing spirits to predicting the future.

Baumgarten started the camp - which draws between 30 and 40 children yearly - because she worries what will happen to them if they don't meet peers like them.

"It's becoming more and more recognized," she says of psychic children. "They're more able to get comfortable in their own skins about it. We have plenty of families coming from a Christian background. Hard-core religious people are more afraid of it than anyone."

Blessing?

As tonight's episode prepares to air, Arkeketa-James says she's still trying to reconcile her daughter's talents with the family's Christian beliefs.

These aren't miracles, Arkeketa-James says. It's just healing.

"Some of these gifts - maybe all of these gifts - are from God," she says. "They're very lucky kids. They're just blessed. And as a society, we want to squash them."

George Plamondon, executive producer of "Psychic Kids," says he and others involved in the show are skeptical of the children's claims.

"And we realize most of the audience will see it that way," he says. "We ask the same questions. It's hard to prove someone is a psychic."

Plamondon says he's not convinced either way after producing six episodes. But he's had enough experiences - such as a child who predicted what a filming site would look like - to be intrigued.

For now, Arkeketa-James says her family is trying to determine the next step for Ahli and her abilities. She knows that being part of the show and understanding her talents has made Ahli a happier and healthier person - she hasn't had a migraine in the three months since the filming.

"We're in a discovery phase," Arkeketa-James says. "We don't know what she can and can't do."

Comments

YiYuan 5 years, 9 months ago

I would like to say to the people who have posted rather unkind messages to Ahli and Anita Arkeketa, messages which seem to presume to know what God, or the Great Spirit, can or can't awaken in any of His children - all of whom are made in the image of He who is without limits or boundaries - that you might find it worthwhile to ask yourselves why it is that the less-limited and less-bound seeing and sensing of a small child troubles you so.To Ahli and Anita Arkeketa I wish to say that I have met others whose seeing, sensing and understanding of others and the world around them isn't so easily understood or accepted by those who don't see or sense all that they do. Those others come in all shapes, sizes, ages, and also from all nations and traditions.Because Arkeketa is a name that traces it's roots deep into the Native soil and DNA of this land, you might find reading "The Wind Is My Mother," by Bear Heart of some interest and help. Men and Women of great "medicine" are well rooted in the history of Turtle Island, or this North American land.Best Wishes,YiYuan

tonythetiger 5 years, 10 months ago

Tell Brenda and Zoe and Ben and theirfriends to take their bugs out of here.Bethany doesn't live in the Bronx for all Iknow.Neither does Boxer shorts girl or any of the hypocritical TKE clan.and I'm too busy to watch basketball on TV. There is just too much to do.

Confrontation 5 years, 10 months ago

I wonder if anyone else could really find that info on Freddie? I'm betting the show made it up in order to keep the viewers interested. It was also funny how one "aura" reader was sent to verify another "aura" reader. As if one of them could really be verified as legitimate. I also thought it was interesting that the "aura" child was able to watch the "aura" adult pick out the colored pencils right in front of her. The drawing of the meeting site was also entertaining. Considering these families knew which town they were going to, it wouldn't be hard to find the old haunted hotel on the internet and draw a picture of it.

Capricorn 5 years, 10 months ago

Wow I'm astounded. That's incredible! Before I saw the show, I didn't believe one bit of paranormal stuff. But after watching the episode, I'm obsessed with it, and I can't stop thinking about it! The most intriguing part of this was what Ahli did with the woman, and feeling "heat" at certains parts of the body. And then she found out that she was right with where she thought she was having problems. That's the most awesome thing I've ever seen. And then with the auras drawing, that was incredible too. I love that specific type of psychic gift that Ahli has. It's just the best thing I've ever seen. Go Ahli, and you rock!!!!!!

gr 5 years, 10 months ago

Oh, I believe in psychics. And I believe this girl may very well have a "gift" if you want to call it that. There is no point to doing controlled experiments. That would only rule out if she was a fraud. As some could very well be. But, if she does have this so called "gift", the controlled experiment will verify her. Then what? What if their predictions do come true? What if "good" comes from using this "gift"? Keep in mind, there are other tests to be made to determine where their "gift" comes from - no matter where they claim it comes from nor how much "good" appears to come from it.The main point is, it's a "gift" from where? Does one really want a "gift" from there?

Freiman 5 years, 10 months ago

It is perfectly acceptable for people to be skeptical of psychics. There are many more frauds than truly gifted people. I feel bad for these kids. I am 40 and still do not tell people of my gifts. Yes, I am psychic and only a few trusted people know. I thought I was crazy when I was a kid because I was different. I think the parents of these kids should not have told there secret to the world. It should be the kids decision when they are old enough to decide if they want to tell the world. They will never be looked at the same or as normal. Maybe I am over sensitive? If this story interests you and you would like details of growing up psychic in America I suggest Current Events, Conservative Outcomes by Freiman. Yes, that is me and I wrote about it in a book. Of course Freiman is only my pen name because I choose to keep my gift private. Preview the book at conservativeoutcomes.com

Multidisciplinary 5 years, 10 months ago

Anyone notice that if you look at the word psychic for long, it's just not spelled right?Like in As Good As It Gets..Helen HuntHow do you spell conscience? c-o-n-s-c-i-e-n-c-e this can't be right...con science?

Maxwell Butterfield 5 years, 10 months ago

First of all, 'clyde_never_barks', Shmoo meant that her -name- is Krys. Clearly this user is -not- violating your use policy

clyde_never_barks 5 years, 10 months ago

Be careful dena...you will get nailed for sharing your opinion if it conflicts with others...

clyde_never_barks 5 years, 10 months ago

Uhhh...LJW, could you please ban all Shmoo or Krys comments on the LJW blog. Accordinng to your user agreement, bloggers will not have more than one identity. Clearly this user is violating your use policy.oh, and...Why is a comment that suggests this is idiocy, inappropriate? It has been stricken three times now. That is my opinion...no reason to suggest its removal is valid. It is not slandering or libeling anyone. Why don't you censor the poster who said this is a scam?Why don't you censor the poster who said this is not a gift from God?"Say whatever you want as long as I agree with it, but if I don't, we are pulling your statement." These comments are mild compared to the rest of the LJW blogsphere.

junkman 5 years, 10 months ago

Prove it. No other "psychic" has been able to.http://www.randi.org/joom/challenge-info.htmlGive the money to charity or use it to really help sick people.

denak 5 years, 10 months ago

I'm not picking on this little girl because she is a child but there is a simple way to verify what she, or any other, psychic child says. Do a controlled scientific study. Have her or whatever child go into a room with a person with a legitimate health issue and with a person who doesn't have a legitimate health issue and see if she "cures" them. If she doesn't, it isn't real. Do it over and over. See what her percentage of accuracy is.As for the notion that childre are born psychic or have more psychic ability when they are young, there is a reasonable and verifiable reason for why they lose it (not that they had it to begine with). They "lose" their "psychic" ability around the age of 7 and 8 when children start to develop their abstract reasoning and when they start to learn the difference between fantasy and reality. Before that children will say whatever their parents want. They are very suggestable. They pick up on their parent's nonverbal and verbal cues and say what the parent wants. As for faith healing, there have been studies after studies done and it has been proven to be false. Most faith healers are frauds who prey on people's desperation.And lastly, just because something can not be explained, does not make it miraculous. It just means that all the elements are unknown. Nine times out of ten, once all the elements are known, a physical and scientific answer is found.Dena

LadyJ 5 years, 10 months ago

It has been suggested for many years that many children are psychic when they are young but lose it as they grow older. Maybe because they are told things like that aren't real just like fairies and unicorns. If encouraged or at least not discouraged, they learn to develop it. Some learn to keep quiet and not tell anyone so people won't think they are crazy. What a brave young lady, and what wonderful parents to tell her they believe in her. As for suggestions that the recipient just convinces themselves they feel better, I have seen animals get better and they have no way of knowing. Now the pet psychic in Lawrence that would do it over the phone, that one I would have some doubts about.

Shmoo 5 years, 10 months ago

Thank you for the comments, all of them good and bad I enjoy reading these opinions, Ahli did too. Although I normally go by Krys not Shmoo but you all didn't know that ....I think. although I'd like to reply to some comments:"Perhaps someone's sister is suggesting removal?"No, I havn't been suggesting removal, I'm used to critisisim being an artist and writer and all, it must be somebody else."How sad it is that our society dismisses these precious gifts, by doing so we are not giving these children a chance to make a difference in the world. ..and I bet there are not as many ADHD or ADD children as we think! Sorry Anita and Ahli, I just had to say something. :)"I don't get how people thought she had ADD, she's very attentive, we apperitiate the comment.well this is all I have time for before we go to the family's house to see the show, I will be back to reply to more later.tata ^^

clyde_never_barks 5 years, 10 months ago

rammy (Anonymous) says: LJW moderators are a joke::as is this article

clyde_never_barks 5 years, 10 months ago

Because my previous statement will soon be blasted into "nowhere land" I thought I would follow up with this one...buttercup indicates she knows this family and that they hope to soon slip back into anonymity. Not sure if you are the spokesperson or not for the family, but perhaps the article should not have been written in the first place. Have you ever seen the comments that Marion, cool, Bozo, svengalli, jonas, and many many others make? They are far more poignant than what has been blogged here.More to come later, as this will surely be banned as well.

clyde_never_barks 5 years, 10 months ago

buttercup 5 years, 10 months ago

I know of this child. She is so sweet and I am familar with her trials and tribulations to get to this point. She is quick to say that she doesn't do miracles, that she is only a conduit and that her gift is from God. She stays close to God. Her wish is to fall back into amonimity as soon as possible. She is first a twelve year old. She has her whole life to figure out what this gift means. Her family says this article is to educate, and they were fearful of the backlash of such a program. That's was the price they had to pay for getting the help they needed for her and they are very protective of her and her sister. There are so many children that have special gifts, even in our own community. How sad it is that our society dismisses these precious gifts, by doing so we are not giving these children a chance to make a difference in the world. ..and I bet there are not as many ADHD or ADD children as we think! Sorry Anita and Ahli, I just had to say something. :)

maxcrabb 5 years, 10 months ago

It's not hateful to disagree.

mom_of_three 5 years, 10 months ago

Yes, I believe in psychics. Perhaps not all of them, but I believe that is a power that some people have. Here is an experience similiar to Bigprune. My grandfather died in 1998, after 7 years of suffering with alzheimers. We were very close and shared a love of big band and jazz. A couple of years ago, I went to a big band concert at the Kansas City Symphony with my daughter and husband. During one of the first songs, I could hear my grandfather's voice, clear as day, telling me how much he liked the music, and he called me by my family nickname. Whether I willed myself to hear his voice, or what, i don't know. But I know he is watching me.

clyde_never_barks 5 years, 10 months ago

Multidisciplinary 5 years, 10 months ago

gr..apparently they will.I hesitated since last night with different ideas to express here. I finally came up with something that said absolutely nothing about the family, but said what would happen if my child did this, and it got pulled.

zettapixel 5 years, 10 months ago

Here's my 2 cents for whatever it's worth...My interest in faith healing all started back when I was an altar boy and attended a mass that featured a "charismatic healer" of the Roman Catholic persuasion. This person did a laying of the hands on people in order to heal them from a variety of ailments including arthritis, diabetes, cancer, etc. I noticed that everyone in the audience that got touched by this person fell to the ground and started yelling and writhing around and such. But when he got to us altar boys, who were all very skeptical by the way, none of us fell to the ground, much less felt any different than how we did before.I studied the world's religions, faith healing, psychics, etc. extensively in my 20s... to the point where I had a nonprofit Interfaith organization setup here in Kansas with a few hundred members... I visited with curanderos (Hispanic faith healers) and even went to a remote location in South Texas where a "healing tree" was supposedly healing people of a variety of diseases. I wanted to experience the effects of the "healing tree" for myself, so I went and put my back up against it (since I suffered from quite a bit of back pain due to an injury in high school.) Well, the pain in my back actually went away for a while and I was amazed. How in the world could a tree cure my back pain?After a while, I started to realize that some of it could be in my head. I really wanted the back pain to go away, and perhaps visiting the tree had a placebo effect that tricked my mind into changing the electrical impulses responsible for the back pain. Needless to say, now that I'm 30 my back pain has come back and I just have a hard time believing that any real cure that would have been provided by the "healing tree" would go away after a couple of years.I've since then disbanded the Interfaith organization to focus on other priorities (like photography), but I still have an interest in the paranormal, supernatural, etc. While I think that there are still many things in this world that are a mystery, even to science, I just don't think that things such as "intuitive healing" are all they're made out to be. I think the bulk of it is a mind that wants change, and once it has that catalyst (such as intuitive healing, reiki, even traditional psychological therapy), the change comes about... which in turn reduces pain, eases anxiety, helps drop blood pressure, etc.

gr 5 years, 10 months ago

craigers,Hope you didn't misunderstand me.Interesting that many are excited about the miraculous signs being performed. Wait until they see fire come down from above. I bet most everyone will wonder after it then! Wonder if they'll kill those who don't believe in it.

zettapixel 5 years, 10 months ago

Confrontation: Thanks for the smugbaldy post. That was great!

Multidisciplinary 5 years, 10 months ago

kugrad 5 years, 10 months ago

I know what Reiki is (and isn't). The reason I mentioned it with massage therapists is because the people who charge money to do reiki often do massage as well.

iplaysupernintendo 5 years, 10 months ago

Ahli,I'm so proud of you. You're so brave for bringing this out into the open. Good for you!

Confrontation 5 years, 10 months ago

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus (Anonymous) says: "Who knows- one of these kids could one day be the founder of a major religion."Best post of the day!

Ceallach 5 years, 10 months ago

Ahli, Anita and Schmoo, I join others who will be praying for you to find the true answers to your questions. This must be tremendously stressful for the child.

iMaMoM 5 years, 10 months ago

Reiki isn't 'massage therapy', it's a form of 'energy healing'.

BigPrune 5 years, 10 months ago

I think I heard some ghosts talking. I was working on a house in the middle of the night and occasionally I'd hear what sounded like people playing cards - like a couple. I checked the house, there wasn't anyone there. I decided my lack of sleep was making me hallucinate or I was turning into a schizophrenic, or I was listening to ghosts. On the last night of the job, as I was leaving the house, I decided to call out to whomever or whatever was there. Within a split second of saying, "Whoever you are, show yourself!" the last remaining light left on burned out. I was stuck inside this house with no lights on, too far away from and too freaked out to look for another switch.At least I knew I wasn't crazy.

sandysslick 5 years, 10 months ago

Smoke some pot, tune in and stay awhile man.

ontheotherhand 5 years, 10 months ago

Schmoo and Ahli, good luck to you! If you wonder why the kids at school are mean, just realize that a lot of the people who have posted mean remarks here are probably their parents. "The apple does not fall far from the tree . . ."

rammy 5 years, 10 months ago

LJW moderators are a joke......as is this article

geniusmannumber1 5 years, 10 months ago

Gosh, I always thought people who complained about having their comments removed were just whining. But the moderators really are just as arbitrary as everyone says they are. Whatever.

farmgal 5 years, 10 months ago

Best wishes to you, Ahli, in understanding and learning more about your gift, powers, or whatever you want to call it. Ignore people who would make fun of your abilities. Unfortunately, there will always be small minded people who are afraid of what they do not understand. Congratulations on being unique and special.

craigers 5 years, 10 months ago

Disease and pain isn't caused by God. It is those quick to point the finger at somebody other than themeselves for the trouble they get in that blame Him.

gr 5 years, 10 months ago

"It's not a gift from God."You mean just because the one who causes disease and pain stops causing it doesn't mean the one they are working through is experiencing a gift from God?"Once you get into it and speak with mediums"Isaiah 8:19 When men tell you to consult mediums and spiritists, who whisper and mutter, should not a people inquire of their God? Why consult the dead on behalf of the living?

sizzleplate 5 years, 10 months ago

How can people be so close-minded and opposed to these types of stories... It's not like she is doing this for attention or to get something out of it. Get with the times people... This type of stuff is only going to become more and more part of our culture as organized religion and close-minded beliefs die off in the next 20 years.

acg 5 years, 10 months ago

Schmoo, don't listen to the hateful things the jerks on these boards write. They wouldn't know how to be open minded about anything that hasn't been regurgitated to them by the t.v or their preacher if their lives depended on it. Good luck to your sis! I hope the folks from this show can help her on her path to honing her skills and understanding what she's dealing with.

Victoria 5 years, 10 months ago

Schmoo and Ahli,I wish both of you the best. To be different and stand out in any way...leadership, talent, abilities... especially in junior high, is very difficult. There will always be people who doubt you, criticize you and want to bring you down. Do not let them. Believe in yourself and in your future. Support one another and rely on your true friends for support. If you do face difficult situations in school, know that in high school things will be better and college and beyond it gets much easier. Jr. high is a tough age to have any special talent that sets you apart from the "norm." Best of luck to you, Ahli. I will try to watch the show tonight.

clyde_never_barks 5 years, 10 months ago

Shmoo 5 years, 10 months ago

I've read a few of the comments, most are people that don't believe this at all, at first I didn't believe it. I didn't really expect many people to believe us, although I kind of wish they would. Once you get into it and speak with mediums and people who have shared the same experiances (and don't think you're totally insane) and learn more about it, it's all pretty interesting. I sugest you watch the show tonight, you know, if you're into things like this. I've seen the other (two) episodes in the series and it's a pretty decent show, it's totally not like those psychic shows where people get possessed and (planned) "scary" things happen; in this show you learn more about different psychic abilities and how each child lives everyday life useing it and whatnot, it's good.-please excuse all spelling errors, my spelling is awful-

Shmoo 5 years, 10 months ago

Ahli is my little sister......the quote "Ahli, who will be an eighth-grader at South Junior High School" kind of got me confused, she is going to be in the seventh grade, not the eighth grade. I hope she doesn't have to go through harassment at school because of this, I've gone through a LOT of harassment and gotten a LOT death threats at South and I'd feel awful if she had to suffer through that like I did.

rammy 5 years, 10 months ago

kugrad 5 years, 10 months ago

Reiki is not a "discipline," it is a scam. That being said, I am quite sure that some people have psychic powers and that the ability of the mind/body to heal oneself (not of everything, but some things) and for us to help heal each other is quite real. Need a massage therapist? Want a good one you can trust? Ask if they do Reiki. If they do, go to someone else. The only relief reiki gives you is a lighter pocketbook.

cms 5 years, 10 months ago

If someone is "healed" I believe it is the power of their own mind which heals them, not "healing powers" transmitted from another.

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 5 years, 10 months ago

Who knows-- one of these kids could one day be the founder of a major religion.

hail2oldku 5 years, 10 months ago

PeteJayhawk (Anonymous) says: A couple anecdotal stories from family friends? That's proof enough for me - it's obviously real!-------------------------------------------------------------------------And you people wonder why someone would be hesitant to talk about things like this.................

geniusmannumber1 5 years, 10 months ago