Civil suit hits Collins for $75K

KU basketball player denies alleged assault, apologizes for shirking legal responsibilities

A certified letter about a personal injury claim sent to KU basketball player Sherron Colins had an incomplete address on it, Collins' lawyers argued in court filings recently.

June 16, 2008, 11:14 a.m. Updated June 17, 2008, 12:00 a.m.

Sherron Collins accused in civil lawsuit

Kansas guard Sherron Collins is making headlines today for a ruling against him in a civil lawsuit filed on May 14th. Enlarge video

A Douglas County District Court judge has ruled in favor of a woman who filed a civil lawsuit against Kansas University basketball player Sherron M. Collins, 21, over an assault she said took place in an elevator.

Judge Jack Murphy signed a journal entry in the case this morning granting judgment for damages in excess of $75,000 to Jessica J. Brown.

Brown's attorney asked the judge to rule in Brown's favor because Collins had not filed a legal response to the lawsuit since it was filed May 14. Court records show Collins was served notice of the lawsuit the same day it was filed.

In her lawsuit, Brown, 35, accused Collins of exposing himself and rubbing against her despite being told repeatedly to stop. She said the incident occurred May 18, 2007, in an elevator at Jayhawker Towers where the woman said she worked.

The lawsuit was filed because the statute of limitations for battery in a civil case is one year, according to Jim Wisler, a Lawrence attorney representing Brown.

Two letters, one of them certified, were sent to Collins about the matter before the lawsuit was filed. But Collins did not respond, Wisler said.

In her lawsuit, Brown had requested a jury trial. When Collins did not respond to the lawsuit in 20 days as required by law, Wisler filed a motion asking for a "judgment by default."

At the July 8 hearing Wisler will request a specific amount for damages. He declined to comment on what that amount might be.

"Sherron fully cooperated with the investigation and maintains that the allegation is false," Self said. "Based on the information I have received, Sherron has my full support."

Self expanded on his statement after his basketball camp Monday afternoon.

"I know Sherron's father is very ill and Sherron went home to Chicago to see him," Self said. "I was waiting on him to get back because this was news to him as well. I'm disappointed that he's got to deal with this and we've got to deal with this and certainly I'm not passing judgment on anything but I wish this was handled differently because I know he'll look forward to fighting any allegations."

Self added that he didn't know Collins had court date until today when it came to light that he missed it.

"Certainly that's no excuse because ignorance is no excuse. You have to step up to the plate and accept your responsibilities," Self said, while adding he trusted Collins was truthful when he said he was innocent.

In the statement, Collins said he is "100 percent innocent of any inappropriate behavior."

Self said Collins didn't fully understand the legal process concerning the civil lawsuit.

"I'm sorry and I intended no disrespect to the court," Collins said. "I will do my best to correct this and to prove that this allegation is not true."

No criminal charges have been filed.

However, the alleged victim did file a report on the incident with the Kansas University Department of Public Safety.

Douglas County District Attorney Charles Branson said Monday that his office was aware of the allegations the woman had made against Collins. He said his office had requested additional investigative work from KU police and had not yet received a completed report. He said he was not sure how long ago that request was made.

The statute of limitations for filing criminal charges is five years. The civil lawsuit will not have any effect on the district attorney's office's decision whether to prosecute, Branson said.

KU police spokesman Capt. Schuyler Bailey said late Monday afternoon that lab tests were being conducted by the Kansas Bureau of Investigation concerning the complaint against Collins. The investigation had not been completed because the results of those tests have not been received, Bailey said.

No one was available to comment late Monday at the KBI headquarters in Topeka.

Follow LJWorld on Twitter

Comments

d2008 6 years, 6 months ago

ok it -if it happened was not appropriate....but how can she be damaged enough to have to quit her job? sounds like bs to me. If the story were not so weak there would be no victim blaming going on.

kujayhawk 6 years, 6 months ago

It happened May 18th 2007 and didn't get filed until almost a year later. Is this common?

lily 6 years, 6 months ago

I don't think the whole story is out there. I can't imagine a judge awarding that much just for a no show. There has to be something to the story. Also, the story said this was an employee of the towers, not a student. Although I guess she could be both. Should be interesting to see what else comes of this if she did file charges.

Baille 6 years, 6 months ago

"I wonder if he was actually informed of the suit.I know a case where the plaintiff's attorney conveniently forgot to put that page with the paperwork, and they were considered a "no-show"."What? You need to add more detail before that even comes close to making sense. Bad service is bad service. No action commences until its made good. No action before SOL runs, claim forever barred.

ronwell_dobbs 6 years, 6 months ago

Doesn't registering as a sex offender give you "street cred" in the NBA?

BigPrune 6 years, 6 months ago

MY internet connection is slow sunflower today. I didn't read the other responses.

KansasVoter 6 years, 6 months ago

kujayhawk 6 years, 6 months ago

Athletes and bad behavior? Go look at the frat houses some of your sons probably live in.

Orwell 6 years, 6 months ago

"Court records show Collins was served notice of the lawsuit the same day it was filed."Yeah, so-called "sewer service" happens sometimes, but there's not much sense damaging your entire case by falsely attesting to the initial service in such a high-profile matter.

Rastaman 6 years, 6 months ago

Yeah right.....I'm sure he didn't know about a lawsuit regarding him rubbing himself on a co-ed (sarcasm). I bet that Collins thought that the lawsuit may magically disappear since he was a high profile athlete. Lawsuits happen to magically disappear way too often in cases of high profile athletes around the country. In this case it doesn't look like this one will be able to be swept under the rug.

BigPrune 6 years, 6 months ago

Baille,How much would you guess the attorney got from the $75,000, half of it?

maxcrabb 6 years, 6 months ago

Um... we could win any game without Sherron...just saying.

Eric Neuteboom 6 years, 6 months ago

Go away, starbucks. You're a profiteering jerk.

PapaB 6 years, 6 months ago

Hey, why don't we just let KU BBall athletes do whatever they want? Knowing almost none of the details in both matters, the girl was asking for it when Sherron pulled this maneuver and Kobe is totally innocent for what he did with that girl in Colorado.

kujayhawk 6 years, 6 months ago

"Brown said in the lawsuit she was unable to continue working at the towers because of the incident. She claimed damages for humiliation, severe emotional pain and mental anguish. She claimed she incurred medical bills and suffered permanent medical, emotional and psychological damages."I feel for the lady...but good lord how could you not listen to this testimony and not laugh. Good lesson for Sherron. If he ever makes the NBA, anybody and everybody will be out to get his money.

jaycee 6 years, 6 months ago

BeeBee3 6 years, 6 months ago

When does the athlete excuse end? Should we say.. OJ- killed two people.. too bad. But he was a great NFL player!

SuzyQ 6 years, 6 months ago

I happen to know that a police report was filed. Of course it was filed on campus; therefore they were not going to upset a major moneymaker.

momieslilgirls 6 years, 6 months ago

If it was my daughter I would tell her to stop cryin' about it. I really find it hard to believe he just whipped it out and started rubbin' up against her. I work for KU and most of the team comes into my buliding at least 2 to 3 times a week. I have never seen any of them even blink at a girl on campus. I feel she flirted with him and either he flirted back or she made it up to get back at him for turning her down. Most of the guys on the team seem a lil too busy to be running around humpin unsuspecting females.

Confrontation 6 years, 6 months ago

Starbucks just might be Sherron. Seriously, check out his spelling and psychotic reaction to this story.

SuzyQ 6 years, 6 months ago

Criminal charges have been pending for a year. As that hasn't happened yet her attorney decided to file civil charges.

Thats_messed_up 6 years, 6 months ago

"Gay panic, lynch mob mentality, and sour grapes all in one two-sentence post. Way to hit the ignorance trifecta!"Thanks Hippie, blame the victim if it tarnishes your championship.

geniusmannumber1 6 years, 6 months ago

...ad hominem name calling, textual distortion, delusion....

yeah_right 6 years, 6 months ago

Starbucks, sure a jersey chaser class. "And if you don't get rejected, you'll have great stories to share with the grandkids!"

Confrontation 6 years, 6 months ago

momieslilgirls (Anonymous) says: "If it was my daughter I would tell her to stop cryin' about it."It's really sad that any idiot who wants to become a parent can choose to do so. Anyone who would be okay with their daughter being treated like this should be locked away for a very long time. Seriously, who would want to have this done to their wife, daughter, sister, mom, etc?

fu7il3 6 years, 6 months ago

He's not in jail. He just has to pay up. Assuming he shows up with the check. In a couple of years 75 grand will be nothing for him.

Thats_messed_up 6 years, 6 months ago

PapaB 6 years, 6 months ago

I don't which is worse, what Sherron has been accused of doing or that so many people take his side just because he's a KU bball player.

newsreader 6 years, 6 months ago

Well geez, at least file a legal response to the lawsuit Collins...

April Fleming 6 years, 6 months ago

Something like this happened to me on a NYC subway about five years ago. It's totally gross, but I got over it pretty quickly. About ten minutes later. Please.

tinlizzy 6 years, 6 months ago

The victim blaming on this thread is disgusting. Contrary to popular belief, women are not all lying sluts and sexual assaults are underreported, not overreported, especially when it comes to accusations against high-profile, privileged members of the community, such as, oh, say a basketball player. Believe it or not, sometimes women work. In PUBLIC. Having the temerity to take a paying job where one might encounter members of an elite sports team does not equate to "asking for it". Take your misogyny and go home.

fu7il3 6 years, 6 months ago

"Why has there been no story about this prior to the judge handing down a decision?That fact leads one to believe that it's entirely possible that neither Collins nor his attorney had knowledge of the charge."Generally, you find out about your court date in a subpeona, not the newspaper.

LLCS 6 years, 6 months ago

I also would like to see more young women speak up. But then reality sinks in. Being ostracized and humiliated is more than most can bear. These guys know that they are protected and there arrogance and disgusting behavior off the court is standard procedure for them. Again although there are many jersey chasers there is in fact a very large number of young KU women and men that find their off court behavior absolutely repulsive!

Kent Fisher 6 years, 6 months ago

How could this happen? Was the Athletic Dept. unaware of this? After Brandon's problems, et al, you'd think they'd learn a lesson. I'm the biggest KU fan there is, but have ZERO tolerance of this behavior, and also, the failure of the accused to take proper action once served papers. This is tragic, and these types of legal issues (i.e., Giddens, Giles, Rush, Talib, etc.) should be handled with more severity. I don't want them to represent my team...set an example with harsher punishment.

LLCS 6 years, 6 months ago

twaldaisy 6 years, 6 months ago

PapaB 6 years, 6 months ago

I would hope that more women speak up about anything like this that happens to them. I'm sure there's a fair amount of intimidation going on to keep this quiet, so I'm glad this girl spoke up and we should praise her for having the courage to speak up.

SuzyQ 6 years, 6 months ago

Thank you KUHOOPS.Please see LJW On the Record for May 23,2007.

Baille 6 years, 6 months ago

That sounds like bad service to me, MD. I don't see how the judge granted default judgment under the circumstances. Of course, if you want to start trading war stories about the questionable conduct of some of our less-than-respectable brethren, I got a couple of stories about some insurance company lawyers I could share. :)In any case, Collins could move to have the judgment set aside in order to file an Answer. I have seen that happen several times.

Deb Stavin 6 years, 6 months ago

What if the woman happened to be your daughter? I'm a bball fan, but If Collins did it, I think he should be kicked off the team. Forever.

geniusmannumber1 6 years, 6 months ago

Thats_messed_up:Gay panic, lynch mob mentality, and sour grapes all in one two-sentence post. Way to hit the ignorance trifecta!

gwjayhawk 6 years, 6 months ago

momieslilgirls--I'm glad to know the players are acting well behaved around you, but as a KU student who sees them out on the weekends and has personally known a few of them, there is a not-so-pretty side to more than a few KU athletes. They are used to getting what they want in social settings, and this behavior is not even all that shocking to hear. I've been witness to much more inappropriate behavior exhibited by football and basketball players in my time at the University.I am not placing blame on Sherron specifically, but it's naive to assume that everyone is as innocent as they appear on campus or on the court/field.

blahblahblah 6 years, 6 months ago

http://www2.ljworld.com/news/2007/may/23/on_the_record/She did contact the police. She has no say in whether or not the the DA files criminal charges.

packs_of_wild_dogzz 6 years, 6 months ago

yeah_right 6 years, 6 months ago

I'm not convinced that Sherron is a strong NBA prospect even in two years. He's great for college basketball, but pro? I hope so for his sake because 75 grand could be a big burden. On another note, there should be a required class for all athletes that teaches them the ways to avoid sexual harrasment type charges. Like when someone says "no", it's time to stop. It may sound silly, but this is a perfect example.Good thing for Collins that criminal charges were not filed, he could have easily had to register as a sex offender.

yeah_right 6 years, 6 months ago

Why did the girl work in the towers if she didn't want to be rubbed on? When I went to KU, that's the only reason I went to the towers.

Raider 6 years, 6 months ago

gert891 6 years, 6 months ago

you know that lawrence cant persue a legal battle with an athlete during basketball season...might make the team look bad.. as if their actions dont make them look bad already.. you go girl far as im concerned she should have gotten alot more just for they System not pursing legal action

OldEnuf2BYurDad 6 years, 6 months ago

"Twaldaisy, I'm with you. Exactly what medical bills can she have had just b/c some random guy pulls it out and waves it at her? How can you have permanent psychological damage from that? Had she never seen one before? Those comments she made are ridiculous. Had she filed a criminal case, this whole thing might be more believable. However, this thing just reeks of gold-digging."So, it's not resonable to you that she was seriously traumatized by the thought of being raped in an elevator? Isn't that a reasonable thing to assume when you are trapped with a much larger man who you don't know, and he pulls out his penis and begins to assault you? Don't you see it?: This is sexual assault!

rachaelisacancer 6 years, 6 months ago

Breaking news:35-year-old woman gets $75K after alleged year-old harrassment by super-star 21-year-old athlete (who gets some from the freshman girls anytime he wants it) , despite news articles covering how much he loves his baby and her motherThat's not something you hear every day...

Baille 6 years, 6 months ago

"On another note, there should be a required class for all athletes that teaches them the ways to avoid sexual harrasment type charges."Really? Do we really need a class that says taking it out of your pants on an elevator is not appropriate? I don't want to show my age, but we covered that stuff in high school when I was a kid. There was a time when a guy came to college knowing algebra, English, enough chemistry to get by, and the rule about when and where to release the manhood.

BigPrune 6 years, 6 months ago

So 40% of $75,000 is $30,000. Sounds like a rip off.

Baille 6 years, 6 months ago

People are free to contract. If one attorney is asking too much then go to a different one. Or just file it yourself. You clearly know how to read, write, and do basic math. I am sure you would do just fine.

yeah_right 6 years, 6 months ago

Maybe not a class, how about during an orientation for athletes or just a team meeting. Not because they don't know better but to make them aware that their status makes them a target for this type of stuff. Prepare them for the jersey chasers and what all comes along with being so sexually sought after.

Baille 6 years, 6 months ago

"How can you have permanent physical damage from that and foreseeable medical treatment in the future from that? read the complaint. This is legalese at its finest."I haven't read the Petition (Complaint is for Federal court - unless you are a Baldknobber), but you have to plead all sorts of stuff in a Petition just to cover your bases in cases discovery reveals something. Moreso with damages than with negligence as we are a notice pleading state, but in cases of intentional wrongs the principle is there to an extent. Its the same principle that makes defense attorneys include all sorts of defenses that may or may not be available and attorneys from both sides assert a host of objections that may or may not apply during discovery. A large part of legal practice is covering your bases in case you don't get a do-over - and in lots of instances you don't get a do-over.

bad_dog 6 years, 6 months ago

OK folks, let's take a deep breath and drop the polarized hyperbole...1st, (giving the benefit of the doubt to Ms. Brown) other than the allegations in the petition, no one has any idea what the heck happened yet, who is right or wrong, or for that matter whether there even is a victim, so before we either accuse, condemn or memorialize either party we would be better seved to just wait and see how this plays out.2nd, a default judgment will almost certainly be overturned on Motion to the Court, particularly if it serves the "interests of justice". Finally, Baille although I'm sure you have plenty of "war stories" about insurance company lawyers, I have dozens of examples of lying personal injury plaintiffs/fraudulent insurance policy/work comp claims, etc., etc. I can cite, ad nauseaum for every bad lawyer story you come up with.Breathe, people.

Eddie Muñoz 6 years, 6 months ago

"'Certainly that's no excuse because ignorance is no excuse. You have to step up to the plate and except your responsibilities,' Self said, while adding he trusted Collins was truthful when he said he was innocent."Except? Really, LJW? Really?

TopJayhawk 6 years, 6 months ago

While I am a big b ball fan, and I understand that Sherron had as big a role in the NC as did Mario. I can see this going either way. Yes many jocks are jerks. And there are a lot of jersey chasers.. The part I can't beleive is that there are no video cameras in the elevators.. I would think they would want them there for everyones's protection.

Baille 6 years, 6 months ago

"Should there also be a class "Don't chase jerseys and if you do and they reject you, don't make up false stories about the guy"????"I wouldn't think so, but if you are going to have one you might as well hold it at the same time as the "keep your fly closed in the common areas" class to save money.

Bookie 6 years, 6 months ago

Seems to be quite a bit of blaming the victim here. Why do you people think victims of attack don't come forward? What Collins did to her is sexual assualt, period. I've worked with victims for years, and am very familiar with the trauma they experience. The way they get blasted for reporting the crime is rape all over again.She did report the crime. Since no criminal charges have been filed against the man, her recourse was civil court. Doesn't mean she's money hungry, means she wants justice. Good for her!!!As for the judgement: if you're served notice of a lawsuit and don't show up, you risk judgement by default. Maybe he chose not to show up because he knows he's guilty and just didn't want it exposed in court. (no pun intended)

volunteer 6 years, 6 months ago

I am disappointed that Mr. Collins, kinda like Mr. Rush, shrugged off his legal obligations. Paying a traffic fine is important. Showing up for court in a civil suit is important.Coach Self, I guess, now is in a position where he may want to spend a few minutes of his first practice this fall addressing these Civics 101 basics. And perhaps assign a mature adult, maybe an assistant coach or someone in the AD's office, to monitor/advise these young men when the staff becomes aware of legal charges. Heck, there is a law school on campus. Get a third-year student to help if KU has no other attorney available to clarify how serious ignoring court dates is, even for a member of a title-winning team.

Baille 6 years, 6 months ago

Not in my experience. You have to have a good faith basis for everything in a petition or you face sanctions, but if the available medical/psychological records indicate harm, one should allege that harm. Normally, a petition is filed after a fairly lengthy investigation, but sometimes attorneys don't have that option. For instance, in a car wreck, you have a negligent act of running a red light, but it may be that there are other negligent - or even intentional acts - that help cause the damage. This principle is even more true in an Answer. And don't get me started on verified petitions. You don't have the time and I don't have the interest. Or vice-versa.

Baille 6 years, 6 months ago

I am not being very clear today. Trying to do too many things at once I suppose.For those interested, Kansas is a notice pleading state meaning that allegations in a Petition can be rather vague. They simply must be detailed enough to give the other party notice of the claims against it. Things like negligence, future damages, and harms can be pled in a general sense. As discovery progresses and the totality of the facts became known, allegations must honed into a precise set of claims. Defenses are handled in the same way. They, too, are honed down through the discovery process. Discovery objections are much the same:made and then either withdrawn later as everything becomes clear or ruled on by the Court.There are exceptions to this of course. Some claims have to pled with specificity. Things that are pled have to be substantiated. Sometimes legal terms are a necessary part of the pleading whatever it may be. But vague terms are not to be confused with legalese. There was a time when legalese was required and cases were won and lost on technical pleadings. But we don't do that in Kansas anymore. For the most part, we have moved away from legalese in pleadings - especially the basic ones - and I think that is a good thing.

JDB 6 years, 6 months ago

"Collins said he didn't know what was expected of him and what his responsibilities were ..."=================================I hope that doesn't apply to his statement of innocence:"In the statement, Collins said he is '100 percent innocent of any inappropriate behavior.'"==================================ie. could he possibly think the behavior described was not inappropriate?

kugrad2008 6 years, 6 months ago

KUHoops, please read.....They were aware of the allegations 13 months ago....BUTThe civil case was just filed a month ago, they were unaware of the case.There are no legal responsibilities involved with an allegation.

Baille 6 years, 6 months ago

"Collins said he didn't know what was expected of him and what his responsibilities were in the civil suit."Assuming he got the summons and the petition, that is a BS statement or the quality of education for KU athletes has gone way downhill. The papers served state very clearly that an Answer is required and gives the date for the Answer.

Baille 6 years, 6 months ago

"baille, just give up."Give up what?

ccp 6 years, 6 months ago

You have to step up to the plate and except your responsibilities," Self said,Surely he said "accept your responsibilities" Come on Journal World....you can do better than that. Even if it was a written statement, you should have called for clarification and then corrected the grammar. Pretty bush league

Bob Forer 6 years, 6 months ago

Nobody will ever know what happened in the elevator, if anything, except for the accused and the accuser. However, I find it somewhat difficult to believe that Collins is stupid enough to attempt this in an elevator. After all, how long do the doors stay closed?. There is a lot of traffic in the Towers, and if he did do what is alleged, he is not only a dirt bag, but a very stupid dirt bag. I am not saying that it didn't happened. Its just almost impossible to know either way, absent some kind of physical evidence, or a third party eye witness. This case would be very difficult, if not impossible to prove "beyond a reasonable doubt." In a civil court, where the standard of proof is "preponderence of the the evidence" the burden, while less, would still be somewhat difficult given the lack of corroborating evidence.

KansasVoter 6 years, 6 months ago

Baille 6 years, 6 months ago

The claim was for an amount in excess of $75,000.00. That is because a party is not required to plead a specific amount when the reasonably expected damages are over $75k. Under that you have to plead the dollar amount with specificity. It is worth noting that if you plead a specific amount (say $100k) and you find out you pled too high, you can lower the amount claimed with no problem. However, if you plead to low and it turns out the client suffered $125k in damage, then you can only raise the amount claimed with permission of the court. Without a good reason permission can be hard to get and then the attorney has to explain that to the client. Most contingency fee agreements are 1/3 of recovery after expenses except in complex, expensive cases like medical malpractice or cases with multiple injuries or multiple health care providers. Some attorneys can charge up to 40%, but remember that all fees have to be approved by the judge. Keep in mind, that in lieu of the contingency fee, a client can opt to pay by the hour or an arrangement can be made to enter into some sort of a hybrid contract.Or one can always go pro se. No one says you have to pay a mechanic to fix your car. You don't have to pay an attorney to file a lawsuit, either. Might make sense, but it ain't required. Also, if an inexperienced lawyer on a relatively straightforward case tries to collect too high a fee, they stand a chance of getting it reduced by the Court. I don't know any lawyers who would try that. Most attorneys I know like their clients and want to keep good relationships. I know that fees do get reduced in Johnson County from time to time, but I don't know the specifics of any cases. Don't know anything about Douglas County in terms of fees.

TaintedChamps08 6 years, 6 months ago

What I love about Ku fans is they think their poop don't stink. Did you all miss the fact that Self reported they knew about the situation "13 months ago" and "it was not to be taken lightly"? You argue your lame excuses about whether Collins knew about the charges or not, all the while Self reports that he is disappointed that Collins did not follow through. I'm betting that during that 13 months someone in KU's athletic department had a direct conversation with Collins about the charges, what was at stake, and what he needed to do to make them go away by at least showing up to court. Collins made a poor decision by not showing up and his jump shot nor Self's coaching ability is going to get him out of this situation. Judge's don't look fondly on those that take them lightly. I'd go so far to say that Judge's like to make examples out of those that feel entitled because of their power or privilage. And, though, Self offers his support, you can read between the lines that he is not happy that Collins took this lightly and brought more shame on their tainted championship.

Baille 6 years, 6 months ago

If I did that, daddax98, I am afraid the headache I get from beating my head against the wall would go away.;)

daddax98 6 years, 6 months ago

baille, just give up.I actually heard about this when it happened and the person who told me says that the woman is very believable and that this was not the first time she and SC had an interaction. Apparently SC had made passes (excuse the pun) at her in the past. My first reaction upon hearing this was "there is no way she can prove anything" and I thought she would be opening herself up to tons of public scorn. I know that sexual assault is hardly ever purely about sex but when the pictures of this woman come out you will think to yourself "geez us crimminy what was SC thinking?"

1wetwilly 6 years, 6 months ago

...lewd and lascivious behavior... assault... battery... child abandonment... cheating in school... drive-by shooting...it all defines KU basketball as much as an NCAA championship defines KU basketball. The one positive aspect is that it's cheaper for society to have them on the KU basketball team than in prison; which is a highly probable alternative for several of them.

Horace 6 years, 6 months ago

"How much would you guess the attorney got from the $75,000, half of it?"Nobody has gotten anything yet. There is a default judgment, but damages still need to be proved and only if Collins doesn't get the judgment set aside.That said, most contingency agreements give the plaintiff's attorney 33% pretrial and many increase this to 40% once trial starts.

road_Runner 6 years, 6 months ago

I had a relative email me what I thought about the whole Collins situation. At the time, I had no idea what he was talking about so he sent me the link to here. Oooh boy, sorry I asked.

Baille 6 years, 6 months ago

Not multiple injuries - multiple defendants.OK I am done. Clearly something else is demanding too much of my attention. :)

notajayhawk 6 years, 6 months ago

logic;I agree it seems that would have been mentioned had there been a witness. It just struck me as funny that 99% of the comments on this thread would be kinda' foolish in retrospect (and I mean the comments both assuming he did it and the ones assuming he didn't) if there was a witness.

igby 6 years, 6 months ago

Baille 6 years, 6 months ago

"A court hearing will be held July 8 to determine the exact amount of damages to be awarded, according to court records."It's not so much the reading as the comprehension.

packs_of_wild_dogzz 6 years, 6 months ago

!@#$ !!!!! I was rubbed against...more than once....at least a dozen times in my life. I should have sued somebody!!!!!! 75 Thooousand!!! !@#$ !@#$% @#$!

morganlefay 6 years, 6 months ago

ontheotherhand 6 years, 6 months ago

jaycee (Anonymous) says:When are the BB players going to realize that there are females out there that will do anything and then cry rape, foul, or claim other emotional anguish to get money from the potential pro-players. The only thing the BB players have to do is "keep it zipped"--------------When are BB players going to realize that more females are taking advantage of conceal carry so they might someday find something else whipped out staring back at them. Keep it zipped!I am not surprised that a man would not get how traumatizing it would be to have a man expose himself to her. But to hear a female practically say it's ok and get over it--that is totally unbelievable. Momieslilgirls, if your daughter ever comes home crying and tells you that she was date raped by a bb player or any other person, please promise all of us that you will not tell her to quit crying about it. Un-freakin-believable.

bad_dog 6 years, 6 months ago

BigPrune-as Baille suggest you can always try representing yourself. You might safely navigate the unforgiving corridors of Motion practice or you might just get 100% of nothing...Like any other professional service, you are paying for the time and expertise of the person providing the service. At a minimum, an attorney has 7 years of upper level education and additional years of experience practicing law beyond that. Add to that the knowledge and experience garnered from practicing before a given Court and the contingency fee begins to look more reasonable in my eyes. Finally, note the use of the word "contingency". That means the lawyer gets zilch if they aren't successful prosecuting the case. Doesn't sound like so much of a rip-off to me. Just my opinion...

JDB 6 years, 6 months ago

penguin 6 years, 6 months ago

I was happy to see that they at least got the court records on this case. Unlike the report they made on B-Rush and an alleged child neglect complaint that had been dismissed more than a month prior to the report. As for any judgments on the case, I would say there is not enough information to go either way on this incident. Also as for the issues with athletes causing problems. KU is not the only school where this occurs. I am sure if you looked deep enough into any of the schools in just Kansas at all levels you would find issues. We just tend to see it more because KU b-ball is such a big deal around here. In fact, there were at least two death attributed to other teams in this state in the past 5-10 years and they are only D-II.

penguin 6 years, 6 months ago

They are still students and can always go to Legal Services for Students. Although they might not be able to represent them in court...they could still give advice. I mean they do receive scholarships that pay student fees...some of which got to LSS. Do they not cover this in orientation anymore?

Baille 6 years, 6 months ago

I believe that on Jupiter dogs are sentient and run a well-organized campaign to mine the moons for rawhide. However, until more facts are gathered about Jupiter and its moons, my belief is wholly without foundation or support.

i_have_only_valid_opinions 6 years, 6 months ago

d2008 (Anonymous) says: id pay a guy to do that.********how much?

rocksolid 6 years, 6 months ago

I am imagine people are not hoping the best for Sherron, but as someone else has mentioned if this was an average Joe is there a lawsuit ? If the victim was "scarred" and suffered mental duress why isn't she suing the university, who put her in a hostile work environment and subjected her to sexual harassment ? Look at the suit that was dropped against Randy Moss after the super bowl. I was on Mass street after the championship game and got groped and rubbed against and saw some indecent activities, I am filing a suit against all of you, in this county one will stick.

bettie 6 years, 6 months ago

One more time, folks...She does not have the option of "filing" criminal charges. Only the D.A.'s office can do that. And just because the D.A. hasn't pressed charges yet doesn't mean he won't. It's pretty normal for an investigation to go on for this long or longer before charges are made. The state has to get all its ducks in a row before it goes to court or it loses. There aren't do-overs after an acquittal. Some of those "ducks" involve a lot of waiting...sent a DNA sample to the KBI lately to have it analyzed? Probably not. There are a lot of steps that go into a criminal case that most people don't know about because those things aren't fodder for crime-tv shows. So why did she go the civil route? As someone pointed out earlier, the statute of limitations was about to run for a civil battery suit. Maybe she was worried the D.A. wouldn't press charges and she'd have no options for recourse. I don't know. But I'm betting if she were a "gold-digger" she wouldn't have waited this long to file a petition. If the D.A. doesn't decide to press charges, it could by for myriad reasons. Whoever said earlier that it's a he-said she-said situation is right, in regards to many sexual assault cases. And if the composition of the jury is anything like the composition of this bulletin board, you can imagine why the prosecutor might not want to bet on the "she-saids" winning.

Jeff Kilgore 6 years, 6 months ago

Look back to the two comments of the May 2007 article, and a poster named raiderssb says that the alleged incident was by a basketball player with the initials, "sc." No one will ever know if it happened or not. My question is how would that poster know on that day?

therealAI 6 years, 6 months ago

Oh, and Snegrl?.....I don't think that is the "tune" of what people are saying here..Who in the world would be "ok" with their daughters, or other family members being assaulted? (proper spelling btw..)And uh, just so ya know....my mom-in-law has been in the athletic dept. at KU for 9 years, so don't throw that card out there. She thinks the same thing. If he's guilty, so be it. But it certainly doesn't sound like he owes ANY person 75K.And yes, I YELLED. Thank you, and finally...good night.p.s. spelling? enunciation? yeah..

kugrad2008 6 years, 6 months ago

Hey Taintedchamps,Do you read much? You said "I'm betting that during that 13 months someone in KU's athletic department had a direct conversation with Collins about the charges, what was at stake, and what he needed to do to make them go away by at least showing up to court."First, there were no charges filed, there were only allegations by a woman with no corroborating witnesses (he said she said), not even a police report. And the civil case was only filed a month ago. So exactly what conversation were you expecting?Second, exactly what actions were you expecting Self to take? Kick Collins off the team based on the fact that allegations were made that more than likely can not be proved at all?Maybe you are on to something I'm going to make a report that I was touched by Chase Daniel. I mean, it's not true, but the fact that I said it happened should be enough to get him kicked off the team, right?

Baille 6 years, 6 months ago

"So.. I wonder what legal action would occur in response to a female basketball player rubbing her breasts up against a 35 year old male."That's an excellent question. I know as a male I have to keep in the back of my mind the possibility of being raped by a defective female everyday of my life. Several of my friends were date raped in college by women they thought they could trust and so maybe I am a little more touchy than other guys, but women rapists are a serious issue and a little bit of awareness goes a long way, you know?

snegrl 6 years, 6 months ago

Seriously, what is wrong with all of you people? I am a born and bred Lawrence native and KU fan and right now i am ashamed of both knowing that it is ok with everyone what collins did because he was a part of a 'championship' team. So that makes him better than the rest of us because he has mediocre talent!!! I bet if all you non believers would spend one week working in the towers (or any other student/athelete housing) and see how these "perfect angels" treat the people that have to clean up after them then you would see them in a whole different light!! Get a grip people, they are no different then the rest of us, they put their pants on one leg at a time as well!! My dad who was the ultimate KU fan and worked in the Athletic department my whole life wouldn't of even thought twice about doubting these charges due to the fact that the ones of us in the real world that deal with them on a regular basis know what their true colors are. Don't get me wrong there have been some awesome student athletes on and off the court but to ask why it was post poned for so long or why he didn't respond, well duh, first he is a KU bb ball player and second, he thought it would never go very far and didn't give it a second thought because he is a ku bb ball player that just won a championship and he figured that no one in this town would want to do him harm...i give kudos to that judge and shame on all you women that are all ok with any man sexually assulting you or your daughter, what is wrong with you???

shirinisb 6 years, 6 months ago

So.. I wonder what legal action would occur in response to a female basketball player rubbing her breasts up against a 35 year old male. Btw I'm a woman for all you fem flamers

therealAI 6 years, 6 months ago

WOW... People are taking this waaaaayyyyy tooooo seriously. No, seriously!Um, if it happened, then he owes her an apology. Plain and simple. NOT 75K!!! Dang, if I had 75K for every crazy dude who "rubbed" up against me, and caused me emotional, and physical pain, well....I'd have at LEAST nothing.Look...not saying it didn't happen. I'm just saying that it didn't happen to the tune of 75K. Period. And....I will close as always with....I really don't give a hoot if you agree or disagree with me. It's just the way it is!!Bye peeps!!

Outraged 6 years, 6 months ago

Kent Fisher 6 years, 6 months ago

The university administration has failed again. Ever heard of the saying, "INSPECT WHAT YOU EXPECT?!" If they knew about this 13 months ago, why didn't they ensure that the student/athlete followed through on his legal responsibilities?!In a statement issued Monday afternoon, KU head basketball coach Bill Self said KU officials were made aware of the allegation 13 months ago and described it as serious and not to be taken lightly."While I just became aware of the court's actions, I am very disappointed in the fact that Sherron didn't follow through on his responsibilities regarding the civil lawsuit," Self said. "I am confident he will work diligently to address this situation."

Outraged 6 years, 6 months ago

Okay, clearly there are a few people on here that let their ignorance and sexism override their ability to read. You assume this woman is a "jersey chaser" and Collins is automatically innocent, because why? No charges have been filed? You apparently also don't know how the system works. It states she went to the police about it, just how else do you think the KBI would be investigating it? And just because you report to the police a sexual assault matter, that definitely doesn't mean that charges will be filed, the victim has NO SAY in that matter. ALSO the article states quite clearly that the reason no charges have been filed is because the DA is waiting for additional investigative work from the police, who are waiting on lab tests to be finished by the KBI. THESE MATTERS TAKE TIME!! A case can have a ton of evidence and it still takes a long ass time to get to court. AND for those of you that assume there is no evidence here, think about this- just what kind of lab tests do you think are possible in a sexual assault case....

AlligatorMama 6 years, 6 months ago

I hope for everyone that is involved that it's not true, but honestly who knows besides the two in the elevator???That being said, I'm never one to blame the woman, BUT, in my experience of around and friends with a few KU bball players, some women out there are crazy and major jersey chasers. When they get turned down, they can get ugly.It really could go either way, but don't be quick to assume either way. He could be innocent and she's lying, or he could be guilty and she is a victim. You'll never know the 100% truth. The story seems to have holes which generally point to the woman lying. But I hate to say that and have it be true because nothing feels worse than not being believed!!

KEITHMILES05 6 years, 6 months ago

This is from the archives of the LJW May 23, 2007. Note at the very bottom there were two comments left and the second one identifies the alleged person involved as a BB player with initials of SC.Archive for Wednesday, May 23, 2007On the record May 23, 2007Law enforcement report¢ Kansas University Public Safety officers are trying to contact a suspect involved in a report of sexual battery and lewd and lascivious behavior.According to a KU Police report, the man entered an elevator at Jayhawker Towers, 1603 W. 15th St., about 9 p.m. Friday. He then exposed himself to another person in the elevator and rubbed against the person. Capt. Schuyler Bailey said the department was trying to reach the suspect Tuesday.LJWorld.com doesn't necessarily condone the comments here, nor does it review every post.Read our full policy. Also, read about banned accounts and harassing comments. 1. 23 May 2007 at 4:49 p.m. JoRight (Anonymous) says: $10 says it's a football player in the Jayhawker towers. 2. 24 May 2007 at 3:44 p.m. raiderssb (Anonymous) says: Actually, it is a basketball player whose initials are SC

squawkhawk 6 years, 6 months ago

1wetwilly 6 years, 6 months ago

TheSychophant,You wrote, "...I find it somewhat difficult to believe that Collins is stupid enough to attempt this in an elevator..." You are very kind as that is the most generous statement on this entire thread....hahahahaha.

poop2scoop 6 years, 6 months ago

As an earlier post stated: if not for college basketball the prison system would explode from over crowding.

kugrad2008 6 years, 6 months ago

Anonymous userJDB (Anonymous) says:kugrad2008 (Anonymous) says:Hey Taintedchamps,Do you read much?You said "I'm betting that during that 13 months someone in KU's athletic department had a direct conversation with Collins about the charges, what was at stake, and what he needed to do to make them go away by at least showing up to court."First, there were no charges filed, there were only allegations by a woman with no corroborating witnesses (he said she said), not even a police report. And the civil case was only filed a month ago. So exactly what conversation were you expecting?======================================One has to wonder whether you read the article which said:"In a statement issued Monday afternoon, KU head basketball coach Bill Self said KU officials were made aware of the allegation 13 months ago and described it as serious and not to be taken lightly."I would think they would have had some kind of conversation with him at the time. I imagine possible criminal charges were still on the table then.=========================================Tainedchamp said "THE charges", there were none.and since there were none, there wasn't anything to discuss as far as "making them go away".They were aware of the allegations, and they discussed them, but there were no charges filed and there was no civil case (at that time, and not even until today as far as they were concerned), there was nothing further for Self to do.

notajayhawk 6 years, 6 months ago

First, I'd like someone to point out where it says that the alleged perp and the alleged victim were the only two in the elevator - maybe I missed that, but it seems like a lot of people are assuming this is a he said-she said.Second, I think we're all looking forward to the day when Starbuck has a daughter who's a co-ed at KU. I'm sure she'll be popular, being raised to believe she should just shut up and take it.

fu7il3 6 years, 6 months ago

It really is odd the number of people in this town that will assume the best of someone just because they can shoot a basketball. Talk about messed up priorities.

domino 6 years, 6 months ago

Several thoughts come to mind so will comment on them all quickly.1st - I know of a young man who went to court for a driving on a restricted license charge and was given all the paperwork they said he needed but was later arrested for being a "no show" and sentenced to 10 days in jail on a charge that normally is 3 days in jail. He was living with his mom & step dad at the time (was in his 20's) and had made some bad choices and his parents were doing everything they could to help him get back on the right track. The mother looked thru all his paperwork where the courts said it had included the next court date, but there was nothing there. (Did I happen to mention that the judge had been arrested a few years earlier on a DUI charge by the young mans step-father!) Judges can and do stretch the limits of their authority. Not saying that is the case this time - just saying it happens!2nd - correct me if I'm wrong because I just skimmed the article, but did it say the KBI is investigating or just running tests. All I remember seeing is that they were doing testing. I would be a little suprised if they were investigating this. I'm curious what testing they are doing - was there "evidence" left on victim? Seems like things happened pretty quickly if that was the case!3rd - Have a little problem with the whole "having to quit her job" thing - I've had guys hit on me and make some really inappropriate remarks along with bad behavior. I handled it! I'm not perminately scarred, traumatized or anything else. Furthermore, my daughter was in a situation just this past weekend that she also handeled! 4th - I know how slowly the wheels of justice turn, but do think the timing of the whole thing is interesting. If the DA did not find enough evidence to file charges, why didn't she/her lawyer file something sooner? I have to wonder if Collins were just some average Joe attending KU, would these charges have been filed as they were? Average Joe wouldn't have the $ to pay off something like this, but a player on the KU National Championship team with a possibility (no matter how great or small) of going on to the NBA or some other means of making big $ could be a different story.I know this sounds like I'm totally taking Collins side, and I don't mean it to. I guess I'm still of the belief that a person is inocent until proven guilty and with what I'm reading, I have a hard time putting the puzzle together to come up with a guilty.

fu7il3 6 years, 6 months ago

"Um, if it happened, then he owes her an apology. Plain and simple."If it happened, he committed a crime. That deserves more than an apology. Besides, if he would have showed up for court, perhaps he would have paid less, or even nothing at all. He owes 75K because he disrespected the civil court system.

Baille 6 years, 6 months ago

"If he's guilty, so be it. But it certainly doesn't sound like he owes ANY person 75K."That may be. That is why we have juries and courts and evidentiary hearings and a judicial system.Of course, one has to show up to argue your point. Even with the substandard KU athlete education that results in a college sophomore not being able to read a summons and identify the you-must-answer-by section, I would think a competitive athlete would know that you can't play defense if you don't come to the game.

fu7il3 6 years, 6 months ago

Between Collins and Rush, maybe they need a "This is where you find your court date" segment during the pre-season.