Archive for Sunday, June 15, 2008

Ironman race shortened, awards ceremony canceled

June 15, 2008

New Zealand native takes Kansas Ironman crown

A New Zealander won the inaugural 70.3 Kansas Ironman triathlon in the professional division on Sunday. Enlarge video

Organizers of the Ironman 70.3 Kansas, a triathlon involving more than 1,000 athletes at Clinton Lake, cut the marathon portion of the race - the last leg of the race - by two and a half miles as storms moved in about 1:15 p.m. today. The awards ceremony scheduled for 3 p.m. today has been canceled.

Comments

Unfair 5 years, 10 months ago

I haven't read all the posts here, but I would just like to say that I was a participant and I trained 6 months for this race, my first Ironman 70.3. It was going to be my only one because training is too time intensive for me...single 35 yr old father raising two boys and usually working 50 hours a week. I ate, slept and breathed this race for 6 months. It was all I thought about. I drove in from out-of-state...spent over $700 on food, gas, registration and lodging.I raced my butt off...had 3.5% of a 70 mile race left and had given it EVERYTHING I could have given and more. So imagine to my surprise when I come around the corner and some guy has the course closed off directing me to the finish line. WHAT!!!????? Words cannot describe it. I still don't like thinking about because it is so unfair. I was cheated. I was robbed.I understand liability and some of the other points above, but there was only a few far of sounds of thunder...a few. No lightning. And the VERY light rain only lasted for 10 minutes. We SWAM 1.2 miles, in our race gear...so why would we not want to finish a little wet?The race director Tom Ziebart says that the Army Core of Engineers told him to stop the race. But he's a race director, he had to have been familiar with bad weather...at least look up in the sky and see that the clouds were just about to end. He had to have known the bad weather wouldn't have lasted long. He could have done a number of things to slow down the canceling of the race...walk slow, debate with the Army Corp guys for a second while it passed....anything. But I guess he gets paid no matter what, so it didn't matter to him. Ironman got their registration money so they probably didn't care either.HORRIBLE. HORRIBLE outcome. Tom Ziebart you should be ashamed of yourself. You clearly have no real idea of what Ironman races mean to the racers. You stole our dream, robbed us of 6 months of our lives, made us throw away hundreds of dollars.I realize this is a very pointed post and there will no doubt be people who see it differently. Those people, however, will not be the people who's dreams were shattered that day.

Bob-RJ Burkhart 5 years, 10 months ago

Kudos to US Army Corps of Engineers Park Rangers who put public safety ahead of ego-gratification when making their "socially responsible" decision to scrub this event. Kudos to event director Ryan Robinson for making lemonade from lemons ... His capable crew quickly donated surplus food from the canceled Ironman 70.3 Awards Ceremony to our Lawrence Homeless Shelter and Salvation Army.

KlusterfawkOFTHEUSA 5 years, 10 months ago

hmmmm, lots of know-it-all-over-weight-arm-chair-quarterbacks here .........

bearded_gnome 5 years, 10 months ago

alm, you are correct, and I mischaracterized your post. sorry.

toe 5 years, 10 months ago

Ironman was a pretty good movie.

alm77 5 years, 10 months ago

b_g, for the record, I know nothing of relays or triathlons. I was just asking a question. I see rain delays for other sports (golf, football if it's bad enough, baseball, even stock car racing) so I just wondered if, and how, or why not, that would work for this event, that's all.

bearded_gnome 5 years, 10 months ago

oh TOB,but you ignore all the amazing expertise of the armchair quarterbacks! they know they would make better decisions, just ask them.

The_Original_Bob 5 years, 10 months ago

A delay would be impractical. These athletes can't just shut off and then start up again an hour or so later. The human body isn't wired that way. It was either shut the event short or let it keep going. They chose to shut it down. That is that.

hwarangdo 5 years, 10 months ago

Better safe than sorry, but sure a bummer for the competitors. Lightning is not to be toyed with, period.I do think a rain delay would have been better, knowing how hard everyone works at preparing for these kind of events.My son runs ultra-endurance events - 50 and 100 milers. He's run in rain, floods, ice storms, freezing temperatures, humid heat, high altitudes. That's what he does. Yet he also knows that there are limits and there are times to call the race. Sometimes he's the one to stop running, sometimes it is the race organizers. Either way it is a disappointment.Yet there is always another race. That's what it is all about.

KlusterfawkOFTHEUSA 5 years, 10 months ago

"I am Iron Man"Duh, duh, duh duh duh, da da da da da duh duh duh.

bearded_gnome 5 years, 10 months ago

yes, what we got wasn't bad, and waiting seems like it would've worked. however, the severe thunderstorm watch, and some of the SWO info from the weather service probably played a hand in this decision. Weather Service was talking about potential for bad stuff. and, I understand there have been some tornadoe warnings not that far from us. personally, I like being out, walking with gnomedog, when it rains, just not too hard. it feels good to be out in the rain. please note: it is properly spelled "tornado," I misspelled that just for kuweatherman.

Bunny_Hotcakes 5 years, 10 months ago

Oh please. If they'd kept going and someone got hurt or killed, you same lot would be out here flaying the organizers alive for not looking out for the safety of the participants.I can imagine that if I were participating, I'd be awfully disappointed, but that's better than well-done due to a lightning strike. The good news here is that everyone will live to compete another day.

Eride 5 years, 10 months ago

I run marathons and I would of personally wanted to finish the event. But it isn't up to the athletes taking part. It is up to the organizers who I am sure have some form of liability and have to look out for the safety of the participants.

Pywacket 5 years, 10 months ago

It would be sheer idiocy to stay out there with lightning in the area. But I agree with alm77--they should've delayed, rather than cancelled, the remainder of the event. It was a quick-moving summer storm & everybody could've resumed after the lightning has passed.

cool 5 years, 10 months ago

what ?it did not rain that long ?

alm77 5 years, 10 months ago

It rained for a whole 15 minutes here. Couldn't they just have a rain delay?

bearded_gnome 5 years, 10 months ago

I am surprised, looks as if ljworld did not put up an article on the severe thunderstorm watch we went under just after 9a.. this morning! maybe they think no damage will occur if they ignore it? ***I would like to hear responses from the competitiors. definition?

superduper 5 years, 10 months ago

If I were competing in one of the most difficult competitions out there and trained all those hours just to tell all my friends that they shortened it because of the rain I would be so pissed. Did the Navy complain? I think not.I would like to hear responses from the competitiors.Chad

maxcrabb 5 years, 10 months ago

Right. Because nothing says Ironman like certian death.Actually, a man made completely out of iron standing in a thunderstorm makes perfect sense to me...Sorry for questioning your logic, WHY.

WHY 5 years, 10 months ago

Ironman just became sissy girl competition.