Archive for Thursday, June 12, 2008

Douglas County in clear from severe weather; rain may persist

Tornadoes were reported north of Eudora, west of Linwood; less than 100 customers without power

June 12, 2008, 6:00 p.m. Updated June 12, 2008, 10:34 p.m.

Douglas County escaped tornadoes that caused some damage in nearby areas tonight.

Lawrence and Douglas County only had heavy rainfall that is expected to continue through Friday.

"Basically for us we were lucky that it only ended up being heavy rainfall," said Jennifer Schack, 6News meteorologist.

Schack said said the worst Douglas County had was 1.17 inches of rainfall, which was recorded at about 8:40 p.m.

"I had no reports of hail in the city and no wind damage reports," she said.

Schack said there was a tornado reported in Shawnee County between 6 p.m. and 6:30 p.m. There was also a tornado spotted near Emporia that prompted a warning in Osage County. At that time "it was looking like it could have bene threatening for Douglas County, but it ended up not," Schack said. A tornado also touched down near Linwood at about 8 p.m.

8:23 p.m. Reporter Jesse Fray reports about a dozen downed trees and power lines down near Linwood Elementary School. This area is consistent with a tornado that is believed to have touched down there about 8:10 p.m, according to meteorologist Matt Elwell.

10:36 p.m. Less than 100 people are without power in Douglas County, including a number in central Lawrence along 23rd Street. Less than an hour earlier 632 Westar customers were without power. Other sporadic power outages have been reported in an area north of Eudora and west of Linwood, where there were reports of several tornadoes briefly on the ground.

Tornadoes were reported on the ground near Eudora, however they quickly retreated back into a storm heading toward Linwood and De Soto.

- A storm spotter reports tornado lowering as well as half-inch hail in far western Douglas County.

- Greg Thomas, Lawrence resident, reported seeing a large black cloud low to the ground from his back porch near Wakarusa Drive and Clinton Parkway. He said winds were picking up, he saw frequent lightning and the cloud was moving quickly toward Kasold.

"I've never seen a sky like this," he said. "It's pitch black. It's moving at a rapid rate going toward downtown."

- Storm spotters reported hail on the Farmer's Turnpike.

- A KTKA storm spotter reported seeing tight rotation in western Douglas County. The spotter observed the rotation from Kansas Highway 10. The storm was moving northeast and would likely hit Lecompton and Lawrence. There are no confirmed reports or a tornado or a tornado on the ground.

The National Weather Service has placed Douglas County under a tornado watch until 10:00 p.m.

Douglas County will be under a flash flood warning until 12:15 a.m.

According to the National Weather Service, flooding is possible tonight and into Friday in portions of east central Kansas. Thunderstorms are expected to develop through Friday afternoon.

A flash flood watch is issued when conditions are favorable for flash flooding and that a flood is possible, but may not necessarily occur.

Comments

Boston_Corbett 6 years, 2 months ago

I think all you siren supporters are going to get a chance to hear them tonight. Keep your eyes and ears open.

Steve Jacob 6 years, 2 months ago

And that tornado is overshadowed on the national news becuase of the one at the Boy Scout camp.

bearded_gnome 6 years, 2 months ago

joel: Me? I'm sick of the liberal bias in the weather coverage. Possible tornadoes? Why so defeatist?---liberal bias? you know, george bush caused these storms, don't you? Overthemoon, yes, were you agreeing with me on the "futurecast" word? or what?
okay now, we seem to have mostly survived in whole or in part. there sure is a lot of water out there! I say tornados,you say tornadoes,I say tomahtoes,and you say tomatoes, oh, let's call the whole thing off!

aha 6 years, 2 months ago

I've about had my fill of rain, tornados and severe weather for the year.

GRocksGirl 6 years, 2 months ago

Seriously, River.....thank god for ESPN online or I would be going nuts squinting at that squished screen in the corner trying to figure out the score.

bearded_gnome 6 years, 2 months ago

besides, tornados are sexy. so, in eight or nine months, will lawrence experience a mini-babyboom?

Christine Pennewell Davis 6 years, 2 months ago

man enough already rain rain go away and take the humidity with you.

kwjayhawk 6 years, 2 months ago

surprised the sirens have not gone off

Curtis Lange 6 years, 2 months ago

Tornadoes. T-O-R-N-A-D-O-E-S. Tornadoes. Way to have your ignorance plastered as a major headline...

bearded_gnome 6 years, 2 months ago

or, multi,the storm will deliver the house to you here! ***there is a lot more out there, and we may well get more warnings in the next wo hours. God Bless our spotters. oh, and behold, as I type, hear the thunder, now, that's power man!

alm77 6 years, 2 months ago

Just lost my satellite signal. What are they saying now?

George_Braziller 6 years, 2 months ago

I was just watching channel 6 and there was no mention of a tornado on the ground.

Joel 6 years, 2 months ago

Take_a_letter_Maria 6 years, 2 months ago

"I've about had my fill of rain"My only regret is I haven't gotten around to getting any rain barrells yet. I'm sure somewhere around the end of July we'll be bemoaning how much we hate what it's costing us to water our flower beds and vegetable gardens (I refuse to water my lawn, dormancy is God's way of telling me I've earned a little time off).

Skeptic 6 years, 2 months ago

That video is totally worthless. Won't play.*STOP USING VIDEO WHEN TEXT AND STATIC IMAGES ARE BETTER SOLUTIONS.*Here endeth the lesson.

bearded_gnome 6 years, 2 months ago

these damn weather people suck. this means it'll be a lovely evening!---wanna bet?I'm already picking up lightning strikes. topeka weather is certain there's going to be a serious line of storms form during this hour. guess you could say the "futurecast" is for heavy storms! jennifer, please stop using that very irritating word, along with your fellow weatherpersons. by definition, all forecasts are about the future! now, this is the time to check readiness. if you have a weather radio, make sure its battery is full of power in case. if you have a battery powered radio, as you should, make sure you have batteies for it, or you crank it to charge it. toilet paper, flashlight, spam, vital meds, all the typical emergency prep kit stuff.
yes, we're getting a lot of rain/storms...it could be worse, we could be in Iowa/wisconsin.

riverdrifter 6 years, 2 months ago

This a non-event. CH 9 needs to get the Lakers/Celtics game back on quick. (spit running off chin, gnashing teeth, etc., etc.) "Lordy, we can't let whats-her-face outdo our weather coverage, can we???"

Piggles 6 years, 2 months ago

Riverdrifter- I reading your comments about the clouds- I took several pictures of them. Pretty cool too. Did any of you see the rainbow too? For a few minutes it was a double rainbow.

bearded_gnome 6 years, 2 months ago

new warning. still tornado potential! hail is coming. really, be careful!

Miss_Spent 6 years, 2 months ago

overthemoon 6 years, 2 months ago

dang....I agree with bearded gnome on something.

damnocracy 6 years, 2 months ago

Just curious. If one of those helicopter news cameras catch a tornado droping out of the sky--live--would the Douglass County emergency folks sound the sirens even if the spotters don't see it? My fiance said Channel 41 (14) out of KC had a helicopter camera that showed a quick forming tornado in real time. It was down fast and went up even faster.Still, those cameras are really cool and provide some great, potentially life-saving live-action shots!Just curious...anyone know?

GRocksGirl 6 years, 2 months ago

rammy (Anonymous) says:Pitiful coverage from LJW on the Manhattan tornado.___Yah but did you look at the Manhattan Mercury's coverage? I know they were without power for part of the day and had issues updating their site, but geesh.

alm77 6 years, 2 months ago

multi, I saw the same thing. We were north of it looking out the second story window. It was a very slow and defined "rotation". The edge passed over us and the downpour began. It was really pretty and slow enough that it didn't look dangerous.

Take_a_letter_Maria 6 years, 2 months ago

rammy (Anonymous) says: Pitiful coverage from LJW on the Manhattan tornado.--------------------------------------------------------------------------As much as I hate to defend Dolph & Co., my only complaint is that they haven't picked up more information from news sources already out there. I would prefer that the JW not send a reporter and photographer out there to produce a duplicitous story and add two (or more) people to be getting in the way of the clean-up effort. In a case like this if you ain't helpin' you're hurtin' the cause.

bearded_gnome 6 years, 2 months ago

Right now the article title reads, "more than less than 100 customers without power". Nice.picky picky picky. if you don't have power, you're probably not reading this! eat your spam!