Archive for Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Kansas collects $1.2M in back taxes from federal stimulus checks

June 11, 2008

— Kansas officials say they have collected $1.2 million so far in back state taxes from federal stimulus checks.

"If they owed past due monies to the state, then before they could receive that from the stimulus package, we were able to take all or part of their money," said Kansas Revenue Department spokeswoman Freda Warfield.

She said the collection has affected 2,338 stimulus checks.

Neighboring Missouri has reported collecting nearly $3 million in owed state taxes from the federal checks.

Under the federal plan designed to boost the economy, qualifying taxpayers received checks of up to $600 per individual, up to $1,200 for a married couple, and $300 rebates per child.

Comments

ontheotherhand 6 years, 11 months ago

The stimulus checks are given to us so that we can spend money even though we should pay off our debts. Since the idea is to keep us irresponsible (don't save it, invest it, or use it to pay off debt; SPEND it), I find it humorous that people who owe the State or the IRS were not able to get a check. I guess the conclusion is that irresponsible spending applies to credit card companies, lenders, and even relatives, but not the government. Oh well . . . .

Phillbert 6 years, 11 months ago

How awful that the state is taking money away from these tax cheats! We should have let these people continue to push their tax burden on to those of us who follow the law.

supernik 6 years, 11 months ago

well thank god! i am sure they will put i to good use rolls eyes

juscin3 6 years, 11 months ago

hmm...looks like they will probably end up using that money for more round-a-bouts.

bd 6 years, 11 months ago

I think this is great!!!!!!Too bad deadbeats!!!!

dirkleisure 6 years, 11 months ago

All these tax scofflaws are American heroes. Not only should we just ignore their tax debt, they should be getting a double stimulus.

purplesage 6 years, 11 months ago

Outrageous. That'll stimulate the economy. One governmental entity gives money it doesn't have to the public from which it extracts large, but evidently not large enough, sums of money only to have another level of government grab it before anythng can be economically stimulated. When was tax freedom day this year? Just last month, early May it seems.

deskboy04 6 years, 11 months ago

Now the state can take that money and use it wisely!

Moderateguy 6 years, 11 months ago

My head is spinning, but I think this is actually a good thing. The stimulus money isn't real money anyway. The government is just printing more and thus devaluing the dollar. If the government is simply writing off some bad debt, at least the money is just circulating in it's own eddy of unreality. That seems better than buying some cheap, plastic, Chinese crud and increasing the trade deficit.

acg 6 years, 11 months ago

That would suck, but you'd have to expect it right? If it were me, I'd just be happy that my tax debt to the IRS were being reduced. I think owing the IRS much be worse than owing anyone else. You can tell the rest of them to p*ss off, but the IRS will chase you til the end of time. I paid off two credit cards with mine and then cancelled the accounts. I'm tired of the way the credit card companies operate. My hubby and I are going to slowly wean ourselves off the tit, if we can. If only I could afford a commune somewhere. :)

Moderateguy 6 years, 11 months ago

toe, I was actually lumping both the state and federal into "the government." Help me understand your comment about "borrowed money" though. Since nobody has decreased spending on anything, and we're still in a deficit, where is this money coming from if they're not just printing more? Maybe borrowing from future generations?

D_Puddy 6 years, 11 months ago

I guess it "pays" to pay your taxes! Hopefully all these folks that thought they were getting a stimulus check didn't go out and blow the $$ they were expecting.

gr 6 years, 11 months ago

Somehow, something seems odd about this. The government is owed money.The government taxes everyone extra.The government gives back some of it.In the process, the government "collects" owed money.And as a side benefit, all the people say, Blessed mother government.

angel4dennis 6 years, 11 months ago

I wish this would also work for back child support. I was told by a Topeka rep at CSE that the stimulus check would not be held for back child support. Especially since all of it comes to me and I owe nothing to the State. Then, of course, the ex decided he wasn't going to file taxes this year so yet again, I am getting nothing. Now if the government would just figure out a way to enforce the dead beat parents to actually pay off their debts to their kids, that would be something for Kansas to be proud of.

Sigmund 6 years, 11 months ago

purplesage (Anonymous) says: "When was tax freedom day this year? Just last month, early May it seems."For Kansans it was April 18th 2008, 3-1/2 months. So for over 1/4 of your life you are a slave. Earn $32,000/year you get to spend less than $24,000 on food, clothes, utilities, transportation, gas, insurance, tuition and a few discretionary purchases. Taxes are by far the largest part of a typical families budget including gasoline. And by the way this is only direct taxes you pay and doesn't count the decrease in your salary because your employer pays a tax to employ you. You want greater prosperity for America, really want it? Reduce the total tax burden on Americans.http://www.taxfoundation.org/taxfreedomday/

KansasGrandma 6 years, 11 months ago

My question is, how did Kansas decide who owed back taxes? I know of one family member who has paid his taxes for 8 years to Kansas and out of the blue they were audited for 2004, told, they had not paid their taxes and owes the State of Kansas over $1000. After re-perpairing the taxes and sending them into the State, Kansas would not except the tax forms. H&R was the perpairer and figuered from the Fedal forms. H&R showes the State of Kansas owes my family member. Now, Kansas has the stimules check of $600. Why is it we, the tax payer have to pay interest and the return of our money does not have interest added for our inconvenous?

KansasGrandma 6 years, 11 months ago

My question is, how did Kansas decide who owed back taxes? I know of one family member who has paid his taxes for 8 years to Kansas and out of the blue they were audited for 2004, told, they had not paid their taxes and owes the State of Kansas over $1000. After re-filing the taxes and sending them into the State, Kansas would not except the tax forms. H&R was the perpairer and figuered from the Federal forms. H&R shows the State of Kansas owes my family member. Now, Kansas has the stimules check of $600. Why is it, we, the tax payer have to pay interest and the return of our money does not have interest added for our inconvenous?