Archive for Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Kline announces he will seek re-election as DA

June 10, 2008

— Johnson County District Attorney Phill Kline is running for re-election to the post.

The former attorney general made the announcement Monday night at a private gathering of supporters.

As attorney general and later as district attorney, the anti-abortion Republican has been embroiled in a battle against Planned Parenthood for alleged late-term abortions.

Kline took over the district attorney's office in January 2007. The Johnson County Republican Party's precinct leaders elected him to complete the term of Paul Morrison, who defeated Kline in the race for Kansas attorney general.

Morrison later resigned because of a sex scandal.

Comments

bad_dog 9 years, 4 months ago

My only regret is that I don't live in JO CO, just so I could have the pleasure of casting a vote against him. He is in my opinion, an agenda-driven, borderline incompetent. The primary difference this time around is that Kline will be subject to the will of the entire voting public and not have the office gift-wrapped and handed to him by the precinct leaders. It's no secret the operation of the Johnson County DA's office has been in continuous turmoil since he ascended to the throne. Hopefully, he won't screw up the Edwin Hall murder trial-the judge is already P.O.d at the conduct of his office. That would just compound the tragedy.And Kropotkin, I don't believe KCTV5 will let go of the "where does Kline really reside" issue once he officially files to run. I'll bet they perceive themselves in relation to Kline's campaign as "W" once stated "... a pit bull on the pant-leg of opportunity".

Frank Smith 9 years, 4 months ago

This is rich! Has Kline EVER lived in Johnson County?

Baille 9 years, 4 months ago

"My only regret is that I don't live in JO CO, just so I could have the pleasure of casting a vote against him."Rumor has it Philly doesn't live in Johnson County, either, so I don't know what is stopping you from voting there.

igby 9 years, 4 months ago

I was thinking that he would run again for the AG's office. Six, without Tillers money would not stand a chance. Lol.

Bob Forer 9 years, 4 months ago

Hey, KU_cynic, thanks for pointing this out. Although the religious right is a very small minority in Kansas, they are very well organized, and have been coached by their leadership to seek election as precienct captains by "stealth", i.e., without revealing their anti-democratic, rightwing orthodoxy. that is why Kline's so-called election by the republican party "leadership" was a shock to all. Now we know the lengths they are willing to go to, and should adjust our response accordingly.

Confrontation 9 years, 4 months ago

I'm fine with this, as long as DA stands for Dumb A**.

KU_cynic 9 years, 4 months ago

Kline seeks "re-election"? Wouldn't that require that he be elected in the first place, as opposed to appointed by right-wing party insiders under Kansas's shamefully undemocratic office replacement statutes?

notajayhawk 9 years, 4 months ago

Hey, guys, lay off the poor man. I mean, he has to make a living, and what do you think his chances of doing that in private practice would be?(Waddya' think his specialty would be - personal injury or divorce law?)

Baille 9 years, 4 months ago

He couldn't hack either one. PI requires astute case analysis, a thorough understanding of a multitude of subjects in addition to the law, and trial advocacy skills. 0 for 3 for Philly. Divorce law requires intestinal fortitude, organizational skills, the ability to play well with others, and the ability to counsel a client through one of the most traumatic and emotional episodes of their life. Nada for Philly boy there as well.The only Philly is qualified for is politics and pontificating - and not necessarily in that order.Of course, he would make an excellent stooge for the insurance industry. Racking up the billable hours without having to know much about much of anything. :)