Archive for Monday, June 9, 2008

Ryun files to run for 2nd congressional district position

June 9, 2008

— Former U.S. Rep. Jim Ryun made it official Monday, filing to try to reclaim the position he lost in 2006 to Democrat Nancy Boyda.

Ryun, who now lives in Lawrence, will face State Treasurer Lynn Jenkins in the Republican Party primary on Aug. 5.

Ryun was a five-term congressman when Boyda defeated him by a 51 percent to 47 percent margin. Boyda, of Topeka, is seeking re-election. The general election is Nov. 4.

The 2nd congressional district runs from the northeast corner of Kansas to the southeast corner, and includes western Lawrence and Douglas County, and all of Leavenworth, Ottawa, Topeka, and Manhattan.

Ryun said the top concerns of voters are the economy, tax relief, immigration, and reducing the cost of gasoline.

He said his positions haven't changed -- he supports making permanent President Bush's tax cuts of 2003, the construction of a fence on the U.S.-Mexico border, and increasing oil exploration, including drilling in the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge.

He said his loss in 2006 had a lot to do with the fact that Democrats at the top of the ticket -- in the governor's race and attorney general's race -- won by large margins.

Comments

Bob Forer 6 years, 7 months ago

Pace, sounds just like Ryun. Most of the republican folks I know are good and decent folks just like most of their democrat counterparts. The very right wing republicans, however, are the exception. Ryun, Kline, that crude lady school board member, etc, are just as dangerous to our society as the kooks, criminals, greedy milliionaires, and international medieval religious zealots.

bondmen 6 years, 7 months ago

Oh, so your saying the Republicrats are smart enough to set the adgenda for you Agnostick - is that right? So much so you're willing to spend time parsing their stupid press releases (if it's really their creation that is).

janeyb 6 years, 7 months ago

His top concerns before were to get his kids jobs in DC and use his position to get good real estate deals. Not one mention of the war in the above statement. I guess it is not one of his concerns.

bondmen 6 years, 7 months ago

Pace, how long have you been a paid member of the Boyda staff anyway?

hail2oldku 6 years, 7 months ago

And Nancy Boyda just further distanced herself from BHO.

dinglesmith 6 years, 7 months ago

Anyone notice that he hasn't even bothered to change his signs? "Run with Ryun." After however many years in congress, running is still the only thing he can hang his hat on.Assuming Jenkins can win the nomination, I think odds are she'll beat Boyda. Forgetting party affiliation, both seem like pretty decent people to me.

bondmen 6 years, 7 months ago

My, what deserving and critical issues you've raised Agnostick. This is going to be a meaningful campaign with important issues discussed, I can see already.

purplesage 6 years, 7 months ago

My positions haven't changed, either. I have supported Jim Ryun from the get-to but will likely support Lynn Jenkins this time. The reason: we need to get rid of the rest of the crowd that were recently elected. Paul Morrison did himself in. Sebelius, in thinly disguised attempts to grab headlines, has played with the job market in Kansas, to get national attention as a "green" candidate. I think Obama has better sense, but who knows, That leaves Boyda, who went to Washington because of general Republican unpopularity, switching parties herself, and the current representative, who once had 70% approval ratings, being asleep at the switch. So while I still like Jim Ryun, I'm leaning to Lynn Jenkins because we need the best chance to unseat the current non-representative.

janeyb 6 years, 7 months ago

My parent's contacted Boyda's office regarding changes limiting how an employee can invest one's 401K savings. They got back a response discussing Railroad Retirement. They wrote again saying "Wrong Answer!" and got a response that they would be contacted after some research was done on the matter. It has been 5 months and no response. Anyway so far this year their previous 401K investments have made nearly $200,000, and their new government forced choices are sub-zero. It is called the Pension Protection Act of 2006 and it will be used as a model for private social security accounts, so beware. Roberts Office, however, is even worse. My dad contacted Roberts regarding hours of service laws. He has worked under hours of service laws for 35 years. He got back a very detailed response about hours of service that was from outer space, it was nothing my dad had ever worked under. You would think they would hire competent staff, but I'm sure they can't pay anything and Roberts keeps getting re-elected anyway.

not_a_heather 6 years, 7 months ago

Ryun is washed up. He doesn't stand a chance in the primary, let alone the general election.

Newell_Post 6 years, 7 months ago

Sychophant:One minor disagreement. Ryan and his cabal are more dangerous to our country and our way of life than al-Qaeda. al-Qaeda is our sworn enemy. They make no bones about hating us and wanting to destroy us. We can understand that and deal with it. The Ryans of the world claim to be trying to save us, and a few people are stupid enough to believe them. The Ryans of the world love only themselves, their perverted view of God, and the power and nepotism which comes with political office.

mikeisthename 6 years, 7 months ago

Is it really a surprise that Ryun is running again?He's had the taste of DC life. He wants more, more, more.When he lost to Rep. Boyda, he didn't step back and reflect.Nope. In March 2007 he vowed to run this year. Can't get those DC parties and meals here in Kansas.

Bob Forer 6 years, 7 months ago

In Kansas, there is very little difference between a democrat and a moderate republican. In this regard, I really don't care if Jenkins or Boyda ultimately captures the seat. But I am still vehement about one thing: that wingnut idiot Ryun needs to stay home and vete his future son-in-laws. He's done enough damage to our state and country already. I hope Jenkins cleans his clock. In fact, I will switch party affiliation to vote against Ryun in the primary.

james bush 6 years, 7 months ago

A "yes" man/woman is okay when the leader is .......?.....correct, intelligent, ie, a real leader! Ryun's time is no more, but I sure don't want a "yes" woman when Pelosi and Obama are our leaders. God help us then!McCain's not the answer but Obama is a disaster!

TopJayhawk 6 years, 7 months ago

It's all a bad joke. No good choices. That is why we are in the sorry state we are in... Jim Ryan is a bad republican joke... JIm Slattery is a bad Democratic joke. Both need to be tarred and feathard. Run 'em out of town. But we keep electing them.

yankeelady 6 years, 7 months ago

In all the time Ryun "represented" us we could never get a straight answer on issues from him or his office. Since his positions haven't changed, and he lost last time, it should at least give him a clue.

pace 6 years, 7 months ago

bondmen (Anonymous) says:Pace, how long have you been a paid member of the Boyda staff anyway?Just a great example of someone who wants to play stupider than a dog. Bondmen prefers not to deal with issues of importance, in this case did Ryan have a good or bad record of service to constituents? No info, no discussion just falsly accuse me of being a paid shill. i went to college with Jim, he was a journalist major and a self centered smuck. I worked as a volunteer in different organizations and have had many occasions to interact with different representatives. Jim was the biggest do nothing and time waster i ever came across in office, this has nothing to do with Boyda. i have not have contact with her office and would welcome information from other people personal experience. Your response is another good example of why we shouldn't suffer him again, His fan base seems to be people like you, people who think being hateful and giving little response to the topic is acceptable behavior. In Oklahoma they are called sidewinders. it actually reminded me of his empty form letter telling a desperate wife that she should support the troops. Give me examples of where he did something, Don;t just lie about me and think oh, boy i told her. That is playing, please excuse this if you happen to be a small child and are tying to discuss political issues as you imagine a grownup might.

pace 6 years, 7 months ago

I am a democrat but have always appreciated the republican representatives sense of constituent service. Ryan was the biggest do nothing I ever experienced. Back when the war started we were working with some famlies with guys over there and their families weren't getting any checks, looking at evictions, food pantries, losing their car. Roberts, Moore, Brownback, all helped untangle the red tape. , Do nothing Ryrun did nothing but send a insulting form letter about our need to support the troops and bush. I think he gave friends from his church jobs, they seemed untrained and inert. his staff sucked, his attitude sucked. They even indicated that just by saying the families were in need of help wasn't very patriotic.

6 years, 7 months ago

Jim Ryun is morally bankrupt. He's nothing more than a crook posing in religious garb. I can't wait donate money to Lynn Jenkins campaign, and I'm a democrat.

Bob Forer 6 years, 7 months ago

Purple, I vote democrat a lot more often than republican, , but I have to agree with you on this one. Boyda has done next to nothing for our state....her record ain't much better than Ryun's.