Archive for Friday, June 6, 2008

Former Dole, Graves officials endorse Slattery

June 6, 2008

Former key officials for prominent Kansas Republicans will help Democrat Jim Slattery try to defeat U.S. Sen. Pat Roberts, R-Kan.

Nelson and Judy Krueger of Lawrence will serve as co-chairs for the Slattery for Senate Steering Committee.

"I'm pleased Nelson and Judy are joining my campaign," Slattery, a former U.S. representative, said. "I'm determined to be a senator who will help unify our country by working across party lines to promote the best ideas to solve America's urgent problems."

Judy Krueger was campaign manager during the primary for the Bill Graves for Governor campaign, and served as Secretary of Appointments and deputy chief of staff during Graves' two terms as governor.

"I believe we need a change of direction in Washington," she said. "Jim Slattery represents the best opportunity for Kansans to get beyond partisanship and to participate in effecting change."

Nelson Krueger served as Dole's Kansas Administrative Assistant. He said: "Having worked with Jim Slattery since the 1980s, I have found Jim to be open-minded and a man of his word. Jim's commitment to making change and his enthusiasm are refreshing. I'm excited to be supporting a man who doesn't burn out, wear out or sell out."

Slattery faces Lee Jones in the Democratic Party primary.

Comments

notnowdear 5 years, 10 months ago

I will zing slingers at anyone who makes such foolish and thoughtless statements."Jeez, if Western Kansas hates Lawrence so much, I'm half inclined to give everything west of Manhattan to Colorado. "It is tough to tolerate such amydala-prominent thinking. Let's move this discussion to the frontal cortex, shall we?For some reason, Lawrence people thinks they can made decisions for parts of the states they don't even care to visit, much less to drop money in. Had you not the income in Lawrence from those W. Kansas kids seeking and education and, of course, the entertainment atmosphere here, Lawrence would be up manure-creek.If anyone is interested Pat Roberts is not really from Dodge City. He is from north of here. He only bought the ranch out there so he could replace K. Sebelius in the US HOR. Look at his bio. When did he have time to actually LIVE in W. Kansas? He lived longer in Arizona than he did out west, in Kansas.

Mike Blur 5 years, 10 months ago

Well, notnowdear, every land transaction in American history has been executed by elected officials. I'm a registered voter, so yes, through officials I choose to represent me, I could effect the changed I alluded to in my previous post. You've got to be a lot more intelligent than you think you are to sling zingers at me.So nyah. (Apologies for the usage of polysyllabic words. Tried to dumb it down for ya.)

notnowdear 5 years, 10 months ago

As if you have the power to give it. LOL

Mike Blur 5 years, 10 months ago

Jeez, if Western Kansas hates Lawrence so much, I'm half inclined to give everything west of Manhattan to Colorado. That way, Colorado CAN have their power plants in their own backyard and Kansas can divest itself of the money drain that is Western Kansas--widely spaced, largely depopulated school districts can then be Colorado's problem. Win win for all, except for them irate newly-minted Eastern Coloradans who would then have to turn their unfocused anger on them liberals in Boulder and Fort Collins.(I'd give Manhattan to Colorado as well, but Allen Field House West should properly stay in Kansas.)

notnowdear 5 years, 10 months ago

Non-news is the tiller issue. THIS is indeed news.

situveux1 5 years, 10 months ago

He was a US Rep for 12 years...if he was so wonderful why didn't they work for him then? Another non-news item from the JW

Fort_Aubrey 5 years, 10 months ago

I apologize to notnowdear for certain assumptions I made about her post, and will contact him/her privately.

notnowdear 5 years, 10 months ago

But I still have no faith in Pat Roberts at all. I think he is a danger to this country.And I voted for him numerous times, just not the last several.Met him at a 3i show in the 80's.

notnowdear 5 years, 10 months ago

Fort, that is your opinion and it should be recognized by all as such. And that you think that my expressing of my opinons are rants, that certainly says just how disrespectful you are of differences.If you will look back, as you must have already done, then you will also realize that I supported the coal powerplant in Holcolm. It has only been 9 years since I was paying those high bills.And I agree with you totally that Lawrence has a huge hubris issue. Guess you didn't read that far back.I also resent that KU gets a heck of a lot more money than any other college in Kansas.I own land in W. Kansas. I pay taxes for it.

dirkleisure 5 years, 10 months ago

Fort_Aubrey (Anonymous) says:What is it about Lawrence that makes it think it can think better than the other parts of the state?--------------Must be because the leaders of the Kansas Legislature, the Speaker of the House and the President of the Senate, are from here.Or it must be because so many members of the Legislature are from Lawrence, thus creating a powerful bloc of votes which keep any western Kansas projects at bay.Or it might be that "Lawrence" is a strawman, an outlet for your frustrations and a target you recognize as easy to attack.Why is it the people of W. Kansas believe what they do is "their business"? Why is it those same people think the goings on in the far eastern part of the state is also "their business"?

plainspeaking 5 years, 10 months ago

keep carPATbagger Roberts out of kansas and in d.c. vote for Jim Slattery.

Fort_Aubrey 5 years, 10 months ago

Notnow: You are obviously not too connected to your roots or you would understand how offish your remarks above sound. Of course, you have ranted on and on about Roberts for months here, so that pretty well explains things to me.I'm not sure what wisdom you have picked up living in Madison and Lawrence which was deprived of you out West. I mean, they can read the New Republic and Mother Jones magazines and the Congressional Record too. And you are obviously not conscious how Lawrence is increasingly perceived by many as a result of the power plant issue.What is it about Lawrence that makes it think it can think better than the other parts of the state?

notnowdear 5 years, 10 months ago

Honey, I am from W. Kansas. Lawrence, and also Manhattan, is where the people in W. Kansas send their children to be educated. Who is clueless? I think it is you.

willard 5 years, 10 months ago

not_holroyd said it best :these people beat Slattery once ---maybe they are trying again only on the inside this time????

cato_the_elder 5 years, 10 months ago

Fort, please rest assured that many of us in Lawrence are still in full possession of their faculties and are not members of the People's Republic, regardless of how it appears. Keep swingin' out west.

dirkleisure 5 years, 10 months ago

No kidding.But seriously, Aubrey, thanks for brining the "truth" to the people of Lawrence.

Pilgrim 5 years, 10 months ago

Everybody remember how Slattery's last statewide campaign turned out? This one will be no different.These two aren't going to change anything, regardless of who they worked for or backed in the past.

Fort_Aubrey 5 years, 10 months ago

"And make sure you hit the forums on the newspaper sites in W. Kansas. It is really quite important that they be told the truth . . .">>>>>>>>Yea, please write lots of letters. The people from Western Kansas anxiously await being told the "truth" from people in Lawrence. Especially after this legislative session.Lawrence is sooo clueless.

notnowdear 5 years, 10 months ago

Big Dog, then whose presence wags your tail?

notnowdear 5 years, 10 months ago

And my other two-cents:I just want to say that this push to unify is scary as hell.I can't unify, as I keep having remembrance (must be residual DNA memory) of clicked heels and right hands upraised in the now-famous gesture.How about we just educate the voter, reach their minds and hearts, empower the voter, then let them make their own decisions? This conformity thing that I see with Obama camps bugs the crap out of me.

BigDog 5 years, 10 months ago

Same crap different day in the People's Republic of Lawrence .... libs and their king Billy have no responsibility for 9/11 even though most of the plotting and opportunities to stop it happened under that administration.

notnowdear 5 years, 10 months ago

Yes, don't let the people forget Roberts' failure in this election. Bring them up again and again.And make sure you hit the forums on the newspaper sites in W. Kansas. It is really quite important that they be told the truth instead of the GOP characteristic agenda and propaganda. Write editorials for the papers out there, since a limited few go to the local forums. The papers in Wichita, Dodge City, Garden City, Hays, and then maybe the more local papers. Colby should have a paper. AND don't forget Liberal and Pratt.

starbucks 5 years, 10 months ago

stuckinthemiddle 5 years, 10 months ago

my recommended campaign line for Slattery is:"Pat Roberts, from the failures of 911 to the insanity of the Iraq war, he stuck with George W. Bush all the way."

notnowdear 5 years, 10 months ago

Check Noblet, yes, Roberts withheld the Senate investigation of those Intell lies, until he lost his position to hold it back. I would call and ask for it to be released on various occasions, but there was always the strongly characteristic song-and-dance coming from his office on why it wasn't released. Pat Roberts would soon be well-placed in a Burlesque.

stuckinthemiddle 5 years, 10 months ago

notnowdear that's a fair run-down on Roberts... if there is any one member of the Senate that is as responsible for 911 and the insane Iraq war it is Roberts...

notnowdear 5 years, 10 months ago

63BC, if you have not noticed, it was the leadership in the GOP that morphed, not the people the article is talking about here. In fact, that morph was almost a 180 degree change from the Traditional GOP stance. That morphed certainly caused me to dump my once-beloved GOP party. It is high time that the morph was reversed and the traditional GOP values of limited government, strong individual rights, strong government transparency and accountability, strong fiscal responsibility (and the current KSGOP party is in the red, I hear), and strong constitutional restraint (of course, you are not going to see that with Kobach leading the party).It is high time the GOP morphed back to the very grand values they once held, ... prior to that highly dubious political morph.

notnowdear 5 years, 10 months ago

Pat Roberts is NOT the lessor of the two evils. It is clear that Roberts let this country down in the spinning of intelligence in the run-up to invade Iraq, during the time when he was GOP Chairman of the Senate Intelligence Oversight committee. And to top it off, he had weekly visits with Tenet, so he had some knowledge that the CIA intell didn't support the need to invade Iraq.And then Roberts is in HUGE trouble for the 9-11 event. He let that one slip thru his fingers as well.Also he votes somewhere around 97-98% with Bush, whereas Brownback has voted along with Bush a couple of percentage points less that Roberts. AND Brownback came out with public statements that there wasn't enough intelligence to invade Iraq. Sadly he later caved and voted with Bush. But at least he made the effort.Now I am so pro-choice that it is very hard to get past it. BUT Roberts has done far, far worse for this country than Brownback, the man who wants to control our nation's greatest natural resource, our uteri, can ever do.Roberts should never live down the Iraqi cooked intelligence and 9-11. He failed in his job. He didn't live up to his job description.

yourworstnightmare 5 years, 10 months ago

The GOP is in trouble.Eight years of Bush preceded by six years of the Contract on America have hobbled the party.The GOP might not be around in the next presidential election if McCain loses. Possibly even if he wins.Right-wing republicans can start their own party, whereas centrist republicans can join the rest of moderate america in the democrat party.

jimincountry 5 years, 10 months ago

The Bush administration's legacy may be the demise of the republican party.

not_holroyd 5 years, 10 months ago

Weren't the Krueger's working on behalf of Graves when Graves ran against Slattery for Governor?

autie 5 years, 10 months ago

I met Pat one time. He is a good ole guy. But it is definitely time for him to focus on being a professional grandfather instead of a U.S. senator. Go Slattery.

dirkleisure 5 years, 10 months ago

Thanks, 63BC. Please, continue to equate Roberts with Bush.Uhlrick, you could run. You could run on a KU Med platform. I'm quite certain Dolph would max out to your campaign. Probably would write a Saturday Column about you.

63BC 5 years, 10 months ago

The Scott McLellans of Kansas. They're loyal to whomever is paying them.They both make careers as Republicans and then shift if they get a more lucrative offer.Says a lot more about them than it does Slattery or Roberts.

Orwell 5 years, 10 months ago

Don't worry about ousting Brownback from the Senate worry about him running for Governor in 2010. He's already gearing up.

chucknoblet 5 years, 10 months ago

Dweezil, yes, Brownback is atrocious, but remember how Roberts as Judiciary chairman ran interference for the Bush administration whenever anyone tried to investigate their wrongdoings? He did anything he could to help cover up suspected violations of the Constitution. Just google the words Roberts Blocks Investigation, and you'll find so many examples.

Uhlrick_Hetfield_III 5 years, 10 months ago

Yet more Republicrats infesting the party and the candidate is such a putz Obama won't take money from him. Is this how we gain office, by becoming as corrupt as the Republicans?Is there a third party candidate available?

mccgirl80 5 years, 10 months ago

Brownback is not up for re-election this year, Roberts is.

bennyoates 5 years, 10 months ago

Hey, any chance to be free from Republicans, anywhere, is worth pursuing.

dweezil222 5 years, 10 months ago

Why don't we focus on ousting Brownback before worrying about Roberts? Roberts is definitely the lesser of two evils.