Archive for Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Obama says he’s nominee

June 4, 2008

— Before a crowd of cheering thousands, Sen. Barack Obama of Illinois laid claim to the Democratic presidential nomination Tuesday night, taking a historic step toward his once-improbable goal of becoming the nation's first black president. Hillary Rodham Clinton maneuvered for the vice presidential spot on his fall ticket without conceding her own defeat.

"America, this is our moment," the 46-year-old senator and one-time community organizer said in his first appearance as the Democratic nominee-in-waiting. "This is our time. Our time to turn the page on the policies of the past."

Obama's victory set up a five-month campaign with Republican Sen. John McCain of Arizona, a race between a first-term Senate opponent of the Iraq War and a 71-year-old former Vietnam prisoner of war and staunch supporter of the current U.S. military mission.

One campaign began as another was ending.

Clinton won South Dakota on the final night of the primary season; Obama took Montana.

The former first lady praised her rival warmly in an appearance before supporters in New York in which she neither acknowledged Obama's victory nor offered a concession of any sort.

Instead, she said she was committed to a united party, and said she would spend the next few days determining "how to move forward with the best interests of our country and our party guiding my way."

Comments

verity 6 years, 6 months ago

This shouldn't be about race or gender or supposed religious affiliations or a name, or anything other than who will be the best person to lead the most powerful nation in the world---and who will pick the best people to help do that, as it is way too much for any one person. Hopefully our next president will be someone who listens to the people, to his advisors and then can make intelligent decisions. What happens doesn't only affect the U.S. but the whole world.So can we quit the silly sniping and have intelligent, rational discussions about our future?

beatrice 6 years, 6 months ago

bearded, would you have prefered Obama be more McCain like and swat the butt of someone other than his wife? The butt swat argument as a statement on character or morals is the dumbest yet.The funniest is: "you can start by reading some Cornel West." Right. And if you are going to start driving, do it at the Indy 500. For reading, I suggest f.u. stick with "My Pet Goat."By the way, did anyone catch Vice President Cheney calling West Virginians' "inbred"? I wonder if it made them "bitter" to hear what Republican leaders think of them? And where was the "liberal" media and why isn't such an insult all over the daily news? (hint: there is no such thing as the "liberal" media.) http://www.azcentral.com/offbeat/articles/2008/06/02/20080602cheney-joke0602-ON.htmlObama will be our next President!

notajayhawk 6 years, 6 months ago

I agree with those who say putting Hillary on the ticket would hurt Obama more than help him, and that Hillary might want the spot on the ticket to sabotage his chances.The people who wouldn't vote for him before aren't going to change their minds no matter who the VP candidate is - people don't vote for VP's, about the only way they affect most people's choice is in being 'next in line,' the next president in 8 years, and I don't think anyone seriously still expects Hillary to be a contender in 2016 (especially after 8 years as an invisible and powerless VP).And Hillary has nothing to gain by being VP. She has more real power in the Senate, and that power will continue to grow - I can see her having Harry Reid's job in the not-too-distant future. So why would she want to be VP?Hillary's best shot at being president is if McCain wins and she can run again in 2012. I think she knows if she joined the Obama ticket, it would help McCain win the election - remember she still has a huge negative image rating. And I think her recent moves have been carefully designed to put Obama in a no-win situation. If he offers her the spot on the ticket, he will gain nothing and potentially lose it all. If he doesn't, she can play the martyr, saying "I offered to join him in the name of party unity, but I guess that's not what he wants." Nobody ever said Hillary wasn't a shrewd politician.

oldvet 6 years, 6 months ago

"So can we quit the silly sniping and have intelligent, rational discussions about our future?"On this forum... highly unlikely...

Daytrader23 6 years, 6 months ago

As I said in the last article. For the first time in 8 years I can say I am proud to be an American. I don't have to say god dam* America anymore, I can finally say god bless America.When I first moved to Europe I was treated like trash thanks to G.W and the uneducated right. Now people come up to me and want to ask me about Obama and think it's great that he has the chance to be president. I know a lot of you Kansans don't realize this but there is a world outside of America. We are not alone. And with Obama we can be liked by the rest of the world once again. People will actually look up to us not down on us and that is what being American is all about.

dirkleisure 6 years, 6 months ago

I think what barry means is we should have invaded Cuba before the Russians put their missiles there. Looking at a map of the island, it appears to me the most strategic landing point would be at the Bay of Pigs.

dirkleisure 6 years, 6 months ago

With a bunch of posters around here, it is always about race.

Phillbert 6 years, 6 months ago

"Obama says he's nominee" - that's the equivalent of writing a headline along the lines of "Jayhawks say they're national champions."Obama has secured enough delegates to be the nominee, he's not just "saying" that.

1029 6 years, 6 months ago

finding_uranus,You're using too simple of a perspective. Such a topic may be too complex for you. You won't learn overnight, but you can start by reading some Cornel West or Patricia Collins

jmadison 6 years, 6 months ago

A President Obama must withdraw all our troops from Iraq within 6 months of his inauguration. He must provide health care for everyone living in America. He must do away with all the tax cuts given to taxpayers in the past 7 years. He must not back down from any of his promises.

jmadison 6 years, 6 months ago

Senator Obama's thoughts from September 2007 as reported by USA Today."The best way to protect our security and to pressure Iraq's leaders to resolve their civil war is to immediately begin to remove our combat troops. Not in six months or one year -- now," Democratic presidential candidate Sen. Barack Obama plans to say this afternoon, according to excerpts sent to reporters this morning by his campaign."Let me be clear: There is no military solution in Iraq and there never was," Obama will say in a speech at Ashford University in Clinton, Iowa.He will call for the pullout of combat forces to be completed by the end of 2008."Our drawdown should proceed at a steady pace of one or two brigades each month," he plans to say. "If we start now, all of our combat brigades should be out of Iraq by the end of next year.""I opposed this war from the beginning. I opposed the war in 2002. I opposed it in 2003. I opposed it in 2004. I opposed it in 2005. I opposed it in 2006. I introduced a plan in January to remove all of our combat brigades by next March. And I am here to say that we have to begin to end this war now," Obama will declare. His campaign has posted online his "plan to responsibly end the war in Iraq."

warthog 6 years, 6 months ago

... and he must not allow himself to be goaded or blackmailed into putting Hillary on the ticket as his running mate. If he does that, he'll lose more votes than he'll gain, and he would not be worthy of the office of President.

bearded_gnome 6 years, 6 months ago

haven't time to read previous comments, so perhaps someone has already pointed this out. last night on live TV, as he gave his big celebratory speech about getting the democrat nomination locked up ...Barry H. O'bama swatted his wife Michelle on the buttin front of millions of people live in person and on the TV! amazing. tells a lot about O'bama's values. now, remember, he has very questionable associations that indicate he has weak character and questionable judgment: stayed in that hateful church for 20 years and only left for political expedience; his domestic terrorist bomber buddy who says these days that he wishes they had done more (they bombed the pentagon and nypd hq); his wife-swatted on the butt-hasn't been proud of america for most of her adult life; his pastor bigoted and hateful; his catholic priest buddy and member of his campaign's religious advisors.