Archive for Sunday, June 1, 2008

Blown transformer leads to power outages

June 1, 2008, 1:08 a.m. Updated June 1, 2008, 2:07 a.m.

As of 2 a.m. Sunday, power had been restored to all Westar Energy customers in Douglas County, according to the company's Web site.

Shortly after 12:30 a.m., a transformer blew near the intersection of 15th and Iowa streets and caused nearly 800 customers to lose power.

The cause of the blown transformer is not yet known.

Comments

nut_case 7 years, 3 months ago

We should really look into banning blown transformers.

Mike Blur 7 years, 3 months ago

I updated to Firefox 3 (candidate release B) two days ago, and greasemonkey is not compatible with 3.0...yet.What am I talking about, you say? Greasemonkey scripts allowed me to block out certain posters, for example those who feel the need to make the first freaking comment on every freaking story.I really love the new 3.0, and hope greasemonkey gets its act together. This comment forum--borderline unreadable to begin with--seriously suffers when attention hags monopolize every single comment forum. (Before 7 am!)Multi-whatever, indeed. I need some greasemonkey.

Dixie Jones 7 years, 3 months ago

yeah johnny lets see you get out there and repair it better...lets hear HOW you could of /would of done it better... oh wait you cant cause you DONT know a thing about it now do you..

JohnnyCannon 7 years, 3 months ago

What you neglect to mention is that the power was out for about 5 hours earlier on Saturday to at least some of the Meadowbrook Apartment Complex. The blown transformer was most likely because of a mistake Westar Energy made while repairing power then. I seriously doubt it was a coincidence. I have no idea what knocked out the power in the first place, but it's funny that the solution to a few people's problem became a problem for a lot of people.

bearded_gnome 7 years, 3 months ago

no lightning. likely equipment failure, wildlife. fire department was called out for this. and, yes, why weren't some officers at 15th and iowa directing traffic?*mike-blur, when greeted with genuine acceptance, returns the favor with suspicion and hostility. apparently the chip is bigger than his shoulder! he can have fun with his greasemonkey all he wants. however, be aware that blindness may result.

kusp8 7 years, 3 months ago

It basically knocked out all of the power to Meadowbrook Apartment Complex. Also, the stoplight at Bob Billings and Crestline was without power as well. That stoplight also did not have a police car to direct trafic, or atleast give them a heads up, despite it being right in front of the KU Police Dept. Building.....

compmd 7 years, 3 months ago

There was a power failure?! compmd reads email, sees notices from UPSs Oh yeah, how about that! :)

justthefacts 7 years, 3 months ago

odd...a week ago Friday PM, there was another power outage, on most of the east side of Mass. street. It was odd looking to walk down Mass around 10 PM and see half the town dark....

JohnnyCannon 7 years, 3 months ago

For starters, I wasn't trying to judge the skill of the hard-working employees of Westar Energy, I was merely sharing an observation about the circumstances of the power outage. I don't claim to know how to make power repairs, but the good people who work for Westar Energy should. I pay Westar Energy a lot of money for what most would agree are unfair fees, and to justify that money I expect their employees to be good at what they do. But I never said they were incompetent. Mistakes happen, and I did not spend a minute of my 7+ hours without electricity upset. I simply believe that if it was an error on Westar Energy's part that snowballed into 800 people without power and an unregulated intersection, they should be responsible and admit it, not leave the cause unknown to the general public. I'm sorry if you were offended by that.