Archive for Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Today’s Red Dog’s Dog Days workout

July 30, 2008

Here is what is known of the workout for today's Red Dog's Dog Days at noon and 6 p.m. at Memorial Stadium. Due to the rain the workout will be determined at each session today.

Stretch

18 Jumping Jacks

18 Half Squats

18 Toe Touch

18 Burpees

Dog Days, a free community workout, is at 6 a.m., noon and 6 p.m. Monday through Thursday at Memorial Stadium, and 7 a.m. and 7:45 a.m. Saturdays at the Lied Center.

Comments

Dan Spurgin 6 years, 4 months ago

I've FINALLY found the Dog Day's workout posting on ljworld. I'm not sure if this is a good thing. :P

aha 6 years, 4 months ago

was there a workout this morning? i didn't think there would be, so i didn't go.

vigil05 6 years, 4 months ago

@MaryKatesPillStashAh, yes. A look over at Wikipedia has enlightened me :DSquat Thrust seems to be correct term for what i had described. Thanks for sharing!For the those who are curious, this is what Wikipedia has on 'Burpees'http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BurpeeNot sure if this is how Red Dog does it, but sure sounds super fun!

vigil05 6 years, 4 months ago

Burpees, as i know it, are like "SUPER MOUNTAIN CLIMBS", but i've a feeling it varies from coach to coach.. here is my version when i had to do it...1. Start in standing position.2. Do a full squat.3. Place hands on ground in front of you.4. Keep both feet together, kick back. (Should end up in push up position)5. Bring both feet back to the squat position, by kicking/pushing feet forward (can't really describe this motion - errr the reverse of step 4???)6. Stand up,..yell... "1!!!!" and carry on...A variant could well be, rather than stand up for step 6, from the squat position at step 5, you can do an explosive volleyball jump instead.. and don't forget to count!!Like i said, it varies from coach to coach...Have fun!Hopefully the weather clears up!

MaryKatesPillStash 6 years, 4 months ago

We called those 'squat thrusts'. Good description.

Sheila Hooper White 6 years, 4 months ago

dgspurgin - my friends tell me i'm crazy for wanting to know what it is, but i tell them it helps me get ready for the workout.then i have the friends and family who think i'm just pure crazy for even doing the workouts. this is my first year even though i've lived in lawrence all my life. i love it. it's free, you can make new friends and you get a great workout. i'm looking forward to my first dog days tshirt.

jamoca 6 years, 4 months ago

There was a workout. The morning session did as follows:After calistenics this morning, run out of Memorial stadium from 11th Street up Mississippi St. to the Union parking lot. Run to the top of the parking lot, run back down, do 18 mountain climbs. Run back up and down, do 18 push ups, run back up and down, back down to Missisippi and finish at the blue posts ('finish line").