Archive for Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Ryun calls Jenkins’ mailer ‘misleading’

Votes on congressional pay increase, soldier bonuses are criticized

July 29, 2008

Election 2008

In-depth coverage of the candidates and the issues, all leading up to the Aug. 5 primary and the Nov. 4 general election.

— The Republican 2nd Congressional District race heated up Monday as Lynn Jenkins accused Jim Ryun of voting himself pay raises in Congress while rejecting a bonus for soldiers in combat.

"Jim Ryun chose politicians," says a Jenkins campaign mailer. "He gave himself a pay raise - instead of our troops."

Ryun's campaign quickly denounced the ads, accusing Jenkins of "grossly misleading voters."

Dale Herspring, a 30-year military veteran and chairman of Veterans for Ryun, said Ryun voted to increase the pay of soldiers 27 times while in Congress.

"He has been rock-solid in support of the military," Herspring said.

The dispute is over votes by Ryun in 2001 and 2003 to increase the pay of those in Congress. Then in 2003 he voted against a $1,500 bonus for every soldier serving in Iraq and Afghanistan.

The bonus failed in the House on a 213-213 vote, so Jenkins says if Ryun had voted for the bonus it would have passed.

But Herspring said that Ryun voted against the bonus because it would have been paid for by redirecting critical funds to safeguard troops and civilians in those wars.

Ryun's vote on the bonus came up in 2006 when the Democratic Congressional Campaign Committee ran an ad criticizing him.

The winner of the GOP primary next Tuesday will face Democrat Nancy Boyda, who defeated Ryun in 2006.

Comments

0rison 5 years, 8 months ago

"[Dale] Herspring said that Ryun voted against the bonus because it would have been paid for by redirecting critical funds to safeguard troops and civilians in those wars." "Critical funds to safeguard troops"? Does that mean e.g. armor for troop carriers? Or does it mean unaccountable vigorish paid Halliburton or Blackwater? We'll be a long time figuring out where such "critical funds" went. Better the money had gone to the men and women risking their lives in our nation's service, needless to say.

sdinges 5 years, 8 months ago

If you don't want Jim Ryun in, you better get out and vote. While his supporters may not post here on this board, they are around. My neighborhood is loaded with Ryun signs, despite his shoddy reputation.

BigDog 5 years, 8 months ago

Yeah .... because there are soooooo many more things that can be said about Jim Ryun .... like his lack of responsiveness to his constituents ..... his being dumber than a bag of hammers ..... like the out of control spending that he complains about now but took place when he was in Congress. His lack of leadership on most any issue, most of his campaign funding coming from outside Kansas.And Lynn .... you might take a look at the misleading ads and mailers that Jim Ryun has put out. His supporters did a hit piece mailer on Jenkins in early Spring.

Charles L Bloss Jr 5 years, 8 months ago

Lynn Jenkins, you should be ashamed of yourself. I voted for Jim Ryun, I know he supports the military. His conservative credentials appeal to me. I do not like your attack, and misleading ads. Thank you, Lynn

SettingTheRecordStraight 5 years, 8 months ago

bennyoates, Thank you for confirming that PBS is a taxpayer-funded bastion for liberal bias. They're almost as bad as NPR. (Have you heard their gushing love pieces on European socialized medicine lately? Sheesh!)

bd 5 years, 8 months ago

Crazy how that public radio only caters to the minority!

beobachter 5 years, 8 months ago

parkay = zealot = MW Definition 2: a zealous person; especially : a fanatical partisan Perfect definition of parkay and bondman both, along with several others.

bennyoates 5 years, 8 months ago

parkay (Anonymous) says:Jenkins is a baby-hating pro-abortion leftist+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++Yes, and John McCain isn't a real conservative.I don't know if parkay's serious or if the comment is a parody of some message board zealots. But if it's for real, it's another example of how Republicans are tearing each other apart much more than they usually do. Cool!

beobachter 5 years, 8 months ago

Parkay, thanks for your mindless rant about Jenkins, One more reason to vote for her. Glad to see you are a die hard Ryun supporter, makes Jenkins look even better,

bennyoates 5 years, 8 months ago

Speaking of those lacking intelligence, I watched the documentary Kansas v. Darwin on public television last night and found the attitudes and intellects of some of the "Intelligent Design" king and queen-pins to be both breathtakingly arrogant and ignorant. For instance, Connie Morris, former education board member, argued that bringing in Intelligent Design (i.e., creationism) would mollify Muslim fundamentalist terrorists who hate American because we've kicked God out of the public schools.Perhaps these are the folks who make up Ryun's base, or whatever passes for his base. But it's important to note that former GOP Presidential candidates Sam Brownback and Mike Huckabee were candid and blunt in their belief that evolution's bunk.I do recall a few years back that Ryun's wife stated that God wants her husband to hold elective office.After watching last night's documentary, I was truly surprised to learn that the creationist board members were even worse than I had expected them to be. Didn't think that was possible. But I do think it's entirely possible, maybe even probable, that someone's going to have to make another documentary like this in the not too distant future when/if the composition of the school board shifts back in favor of ideologies of the Dark Ages.(Of course, all this may just be a result of the brainwashing I received via the Communist juggernaut that is Kansas Public Television.)

Ray Parker 5 years, 8 months ago

Jenkins is a baby-hating pro-abortion leftist.

boltzmann 5 years, 8 months ago

Quigly, Thanks for the laugh. I got a great mental image of a Billy Bass speaking in tongues! Fantastic!

Quigly 5 years, 8 months ago

It is most likely pretty hard to figure out what your bass is saying when he is yelling at you in tongues. GREAT GOOGILYMOOGILY!

bugmenot 5 years, 8 months ago

He's really, really dumb, which may be why he doesn't have defenders, even amongst Republicans. I had a very conservative friend who interned for him, and that person was perpetually surprised at how stupid he was. I think he got as far as he did because he had handlers and other personnel setting his agenda and running the show. When he was dumped from office, I think those people fled and now we're seeing the real Ryun. Folks, he's just not very bright.

bennyoates 5 years, 8 months ago

I can't recall anyone on these boards ever defending or celebrating Jim Ryun. The contempt for him is overwhelming. Surprising, given the number of hardcore conservatives that post. The guy must be even more offensive and incompetent than I think he is.

Kontum1972 5 years, 8 months ago

JR go back and ask the olympic committee for a job...and stay out of politics and u really dont belong on any committees that deal's with the US Military...since u never served during the vietnam war..u were too busy running...your not an authority on military matters.sincerely yours,a US Army Veteran of the Southeast Asia War Games

ronwell_dobbs 5 years, 8 months ago

I thought it was a masterful bit of smear politics. I honestly believed it was a Ryan mailer because of his picture on it (looking like he's Arthur Fonzarelli) until I actually read it. This is precisely what Jenkins' campaign wanted, and they got their message across. Not that I would in a million years vote for that clown.

beobachter 5 years, 8 months ago

Jim didn't deny the fact that what she said was true. Just whined that he being picked on,

Jim Williamson 5 years, 8 months ago

Jim Ryun has spent the last three weeks looking like a big crybaby. He's letting Jenkins drive this campaign. He may not make it past next Tuesday.

consumer1 5 years, 8 months ago

I am middle of the road politically, have been registered as a republican, but I won't vote for either of these clowns, especially Ryan. Jenkins won't get my vote either. What a pitiful crop of candidates. Another vote for the lesser of the EVILS. I hate our two party system, you can also keep Nadar.