Archive for Thursday, July 24, 2008

Ryun’s camp says Jenkins’ use of ‘babe’ was childish

July 24, 2008

Reader poll
Do you consider the term "babe" to be insulting?

or See the results without voting

— In what may be a first in Kansas political history, one candidate publicly called another "babe."

It happened Tuesday in the televised debate between Lynn Jenkins and Jim Ryun, who are seeking the Republican Party nomination to face U.S. Rep. Nancy Boyda, D-Topeka, in the 2nd Congressional District, which includes west Lawrence.

Jenkins said part of the reason she voted for a tax increase while a legislator was because state lawmakers had to pay for federal mandates from Congress, in which Ryun served at the time.

"We were at your mercy, babe," she said to Ryun.

Ryun's campaign manager Kyle Robertson described Jenkins' use of the term as "childish behavior."

Pat Leopold, managing Jenkins' campaign, said Jenkins uses "babe" frequently when talking to her friends, and that it was just an innocent slip.

Comments

janeyb 6 years, 5 months ago

Do you think Lynn will call Nancy a Babe? Saw some old pictures of Ryun. That haircut didn't make him a babe even in the 60's. Poor dude is having to travel around the country hosting Jim Ryun Running Camps.--no wonder he wants back into Congress.

lawrencemom 6 years, 5 months ago

And the point she was making is absolutely correct.

hobart 6 years, 5 months ago

How is calling a man babe sexist, especially when it appears to be the way she talks. I am sure Ryun has called her something far worse out of the public eye. I frankly am tired of zombie politicians that are afraid to speak because they might say something wrong. We need more more pols with some personality like Boyda and Jenkins, folks that say what's on their mind.

Richard Heckler 6 years, 5 months ago

If Jim Ryun despises big government and tax dollars why can't we get rid of him? You'd think he would make a statement and work for himself?

Godot 6 years, 5 months ago

In context, Jenkins' use of "babe" was code for "you a**h#le."

Jim Williamson 6 years, 5 months ago

It probably was childish, but Ryun looks like a wimp for complaining about it.

hobart 6 years, 5 months ago

Why didn't Rothchild write about the fact that Ryun lied about his amnesty votes and his gas tax vote. That would be real reporting instead of this "childish" crap he wrote. There is a story there but the media is too lazy to cover it.

dotteboy 6 years, 5 months ago

I'm surprised he didn't start crying again. Poor Jim, getting beat and picked on by the girls.What a whimp.And the republicans say Democrats have sissified politics.

allateup 6 years, 5 months ago

Just noting that the LJWorld changed the headline.....interesting very interesting.....before it was Ryun and now it is Ryun's Camp

gr 6 years, 5 months ago

So, would the above posters and Jenkins be of the mindset, 'It's ok for me to do, but not ok if someone else does it to me'?

beatrice 6 years, 5 months ago

It all depends on context. One size does not fit all in such an issue. And don't worry bearded, once we have the fall election and more Dems are voted into Congress who will help push through Obama's agenda, then we will finally see the approval ratings rise. Remember, only one seat separates the Dems from the Reps in Congress (and that one seat belongs to the Independent Democrat Lieberman, who is acting more Republican day after day). So, with just one seat separating them, that means the Reps are responsible for at least 49 percent of that low approval rating. Hardly something to be proud of.

Michael Throop 6 years, 5 months ago

A couple of bloggers wrote that if Ryun had said "babe" to Jenkins, he would've been labeled a sexist.--Lynne Jenkins is many things.."babe" is not one of them.

trinity 6 years, 5 months ago

is she related to gloria squitiro? just wonderin'...

6 years, 5 months ago

This campaign of Jim Ryun brought to you by the oil and gas industry of Texas, where his largest donors reside. Get a clue, Kansas, in case anyone was still looking for one for this sad story. Ryun is morally bankrupt and running for his old job because he misses the financial perks.

dandelion 6 years, 5 months ago

He is trying to distract people from the point she made about how the federal government is making all these federal mandates, like NCLB, then not funding them. It's the states who have to pay for all the assessments that kids take. They aren't cheap. States should not be required to follow any mandate from the feds, until they receive the money from the feds. Come on Jimmy babe, try and discuss this issue.

Quigly 6 years, 5 months ago

wahhhh mommmyyyy!!! she called me a nammmeee!!!! wow, whi is acting childish? don't make me start speaking in tongues and bring the wrath of eeedabadooopaappaaa on you people.

napoleon969 6 years, 5 months ago

Jim Ryan had 10 years to accomplish something in D.C. and chose to follow the party line rather than represent his constituents. He's old news and would just provide more of the same if he's given another chance. Run, Jim, run. Run as far away from politics as you can.

cato_the_elder 6 years, 5 months ago

I saw their discussion in real time, heard the reference to "babe," actually thought it was pretty cool and wound up wishing that she had said it to me.

Bob Forer 6 years, 5 months ago

Top, while I am far from being "conservative," I truly appreciate the intellectually honest conservatives such as yourself who understand what true conservative philosophy is. Like you, I can't stand either Ryun or Slattery. Jenkins or Boyda--either one is okay in my book.

BrianR 6 years, 5 months ago

No, Jim, whining about it is childish.

kujayhawk7476 6 years, 5 months ago

bearded_gnome 6 years, 5 months ago

A couple of bloggers wrote that if Ryun had said "babe" to Jenkins, he would've been labeled a sexist.---uh, so this story is really about "a couple of bloggers?" d--n, the power we have! be afraid, be very afraid! i agree ryun wasn't very active in congress. I do know that in person he is a very nice fellow. if its boyda vs ryun, I'd vote ryun, he didn't protest our invasion of afghanistan after 9-11! he didn't storm out disrespecting the generals who were reporting good news* from iraq!

cato_the_elder 6 years, 5 months ago

Keith, they did discuss the issues, and in quite a civil fashion. As I pointed out earlier, I saw this in real time. Her "babe" comment was harmless, and was actually refreshing in a curious sort of way - although the double standard as to what biased reporters like Rothschild would do to any Republican male candidate at any level calling any female opponent "babe" would be something to behold.

bearded_gnome 6 years, 5 months ago

as I wrote above, the article primarily seems to be focused on "a couple of [anonymous] bloggers." then, Ryun's campaign manager did say something dumb. most of this article seems powered by "a couple of bloggers." most of the comments seem powered by: hate republicans; hate jim ryun. I do have to say, BigDog, I did like your comment [lol]. that was good. I did wonder as I read this, did anything come from ryun himself? he's so soft spoken anyway. ***beatrice,I'll bet you wish somebody would call you "a babe." and, you're engaging in fantasy again. nearly half of americans polled felt that Barry h. o'bama's trip to afghanistan iraq and europe was purely for campaign, not for fact-finding. and, polls indicate that nationally obama has actually sunk slightly since he started his traitorous trip. so, please continue your fantasy, if it makes you happy Bea.

Kontum1972 6 years, 5 months ago

i wonder why he doesn't try to bolster the US Olympic Committee or secure a position with them since he is a former gold medalist. I think i would prefer that kind of position over a political one....and it beats sponsoring running camps. I think he was on the armed services committee with Roberts, gee wasnt Jim a CO during the war in Nam?

WHY 6 years, 5 months ago

Are you telling me that running the mile really fast does not make you a great political leader? I say we give him more time to run in circles by not electing him.

Fort_Aubrey 6 years, 5 months ago

Cato... I am tending to agree with you this time.This one falls into the realm of "manufactured news through nuance"In my view Rothchild does a good job of reporting. But the editorial judgment of focusing on this picayune aspect of that debate is just juvenile. In my view the blame is an editorial one, not reportorial.I know that it is a continuing challenge for newspapers to write about politics in a manner which will actually be read, but this was too flippant.

dweezil222 6 years, 5 months ago

kujayhawk7476 (Anonymous) says: Jim Ryun is soooo over. His brand of right wing wacko politics dosn't play well in Kansas or anywhere else sane people reside. He got beat 2 years ago. Why would we recycle an old, tired, part of the Washington establishment candidate?================Obviously, his brand of "right wing wacko politics" plays well for some. Todd Tiahrt is still in office, after all.

KsTwister 6 years, 5 months ago

Republicans are so shallow they debate the "little things" and never do anything but. Jim you sat solidly on your laurels when we needed you to act. It's too late ...BABY.

TopJayhawk 6 years, 5 months ago

As a conservative, I think Ryun was a bad joke.. Yes, we are sooo over him too. I hesitate to say his "politics" were right wing wacko. I think that is giving him too much credit. He was a do nothing rubber stamp, who doesn't have the brain for original thought. I will either vote for Lynn Jenkins if she beats him in the primary, or for Boyda again. I think she has done a credible job. But while we are on do nothing politicians, lets not forget our other Jimbo, Mr Slattery. How he can say the things he is saying without blushing. Two peas in a pod.

KEITHMILES05 6 years, 5 months ago

Instead of talking about "babe" perhaps, just pehaps discussing the issues would be helpful.

beatrice 6 years, 5 months ago

Was Olive's father's name really Castor? Babe, that is funny.

dagoogle490 6 years, 5 months ago

poor jim...gettin whipped up on by a woman. yeah, if i had a debate with him, babe wouldn't be my choice.jim ryun is THE village idiot.

billbodiggens 6 years, 5 months ago

Oh get over it (!!!) whoever is offended. Just get over it!!! Those offended by every little word or phrase in a political campaign remind me of Olive Oyl's father, Castor Oyl, who was offended and demanded an apology for nearly every thing ever said. "You owe me an apology!" You have turned yourself into a cartoon with the joke line running thin. It's enough to make you sick once you get past laughing at those who are oh so badly offended by nearly everything under the sun. Get a life!!

conservative88 6 years, 5 months ago

See the probelm is nobody likes Jim Ryun.....

50YearResident 6 years, 5 months ago

In Ryun's case it may have been appropriate. She could have said { You big baby, you were voted out, what are you doing back? }

bearded_gnome 6 years, 5 months ago

now as to "babe," when applied to a female, it is usually intended as a compliment." "she's a babe." etc. ***vote for jim slatternly, and you are voting to continue the 9% approval congress of reid and pelosi. no, if that's your choice, just go to the lake on election day!

jasonc_22 6 years, 5 months ago

Just that much more evidence Nancy Boyda's going to get re-elected in November.

BigDog 6 years, 5 months ago

For God's sake Jim ..... in a debate for a job in Congress and you don't respond about differences on issues .... instead you are worried about something this small. Pull up your big girl panties and move on.