Archive for Monday, July 21, 2008

McCain lags many seniors’ Web use

July 21, 2008

— If Sen. John McCain is really serious about becoming a Web-savvy citizen, perhaps Kathryn Robinson can help.

Robinson is now 106 - that's 35 years older than McCain - and she began using the Internet at 98, at the Barclay Friends home in West Chester, Pa., where she lives. "I started to learn because I wanted to e-mail my family," she says - in an e-mail message, naturally.

Blogs have been buzzing recently over a recent admission by McCain, 71, that when it comes to the Internet, "I'm an illiterate who has to rely on his wife for any assistance he can get."

McCain spokeswoman Brooke Buchanan presented a somewhat updated picture when contacted by The Associated Press on Friday: "He's fully capable of browsing the Internet and checking Web sites," Buchanan said. "He has a Mac and uses it several times a week. He's working on becoming more familiar with the Internet."

How unusual is it for a 71-year-old American to be unplugged?

That depends how you look at the statistics. Only 35 percent of Americans over age 65 are online, according to data from April and May compiled by the Pew Internet Project at the Pew Research Center.

But when you account for factors like race, wealth and education, the picture changes dramatically. "About three-quarters of white, college-educated men age over 65 use the Internet," says Susannah Fox, director of the project.

Why do most of us - 73 percent of Americans - use the Internet? The top three reasons are, in order, e-mail, informational searches and finding a map or driving directions.

But there are dozens of other conveniences: Online banking, shopping, travel or restaurant reservations, job searches, real estate listings, and of course, the news. (McCain, like many people over 30 or so, prefers his newspapers the old-fashioned way.)

McCain may be in "digital denial," but his family sure isn't: His wife, Cindy, has been seen scrolling away on her Blackberry, and daughter Meghan, one of his seven children, blogs from the campaign trail on McCain Blogette.

As for McCain's Democratic rival, Barack Obama is 46, and thus in an age group where fully 85 percent of Americans are plugged in. A CNN clip available on YouTube shows him so engrossed with his Blackberry while crossing a street that he bumps into the curb.

Comments

ndmoderate 6 years, 6 months ago

Methinks this headline is missing an operative word...And what does it really matter if McCain is computer illiterate? Our current President certainly doesn't spend much time on the "internets" looking for "the Google.""It's a series of tubes!" -Sen. Ted Stevens, R-AK

Weezy_Jefferson 6 years, 6 months ago

Calm down, Satirical. But it's true: McCain is old. And don't try to portray the Journal-World as some sort of uber-liberal publication. For crying out loud, they allow Cal Thomas' rantings to show up in print.By the way, Hitler never flip-flopped....

Satirical 6 years, 6 months ago

Weezy_Jefferson..."For crying out loud, they allow Cal Thomas' rantings to show up in print."So by your logic if Hitler had a jew in his government or military he wouldn't be anti-semitic?

beatrice 6 years, 6 months ago

I suspect he will have some free time after November to learn.

BigAl 6 years, 6 months ago

The LJWorld is owned by conservatives.

Scott Drummond 6 years, 6 months ago

He WATCHES Drudge??!!!! Oh, please, please, please America elect this guy. He'd be even better than bush.

Weezy_Jefferson 6 years, 6 months ago

Wow, Satirical. You are so, so far off my point. How did you even reach what you came up with? Let me illustrate my point: Ever since Kerry's ill-fated run for president, conservatives have become enamored with the term "flip-flop." They used it as a derogative, giggling and chanting "flip-flop, flip-flop" whenever Kerry spoke. The term indicated that Kerry couldn't make up his mind about important issues and therefore wouldn't be a good leader. This line of reasoning, then, would indicate that conservatives would prefer a leader who makes a decision and sticks with it, no matter what. But does this make a good leader? Just because a leader refuses to waiver doesn't mean he or she is the one we want. Hence, the Hitler reference.

Satirical 6 years, 6 months ago

BigAl..."The LJWorld is owned by conservatives."First, where is your proof. Second, even if true this does not necessarily mean that the people who run the business are conservative.

Weezy_Jefferson 6 years, 6 months ago

OK, Satirical, thanks for clearing that up. I see where you were coming from. I didn't say anything about Bush, McCain, or other conservatives valuing someone who doesn't flip-flop because, well, frankly, I didn't think I had to. I mean, look at the Bush-Kerry election. For the conservatives, "flip-flop" became associated with weak, indecisive people. The term was gleefully tossed around almost every day since its inception, and it stuck in the public's mind. It became the new political catch phrase. Conservatives skillfully used it to label Kerry as an inept candidate. So, yeah, I didn't mention conservatives supporting flip-floppers because there's no way on God's green Earth that they would. They wouldn't dare want to be associated with a derogative phrase that they coined. I brought up the whole "flip-flop" tactic today because apparently it's now being used to attack Obama, as illustrated in your introductory post.

Flap Doodle 6 years, 6 months ago

At least McCain hasn't said that he expects to be President for 8 to 10 years.

beatrice 6 years, 6 months ago

'At least McCain hasn't said that he expects to be President for 8 to 10 years."No, but he did say that Iranian operatives are "taking al-Qaeda into Iran, training them and sending them back," on more than one occassion. The last time, Joe Lieberman was there to correct him. Which gaffe is more serious?Obama for President!

beatrice 6 years, 6 months ago

Speaking of MLK, McCain, and the internet, I wonder if McCain is aware of how easy it is for people to search via the internet for his record of working and voting against the MLK holiday?Oh, thats right, he recently flip-flopped his opinion on that unpopular stance, too.

Satirical 6 years, 6 months ago

An LJWorld article reinforcing the picuture that Dems want you to have of McCain as "old," how surprising! Elections are often determined no which side can paint the better picture of the other guy. Republicans did a better job in 2004 by painting Kerry as a flip-flopper and an elite liberal out of touch with the average American, than the Dems did at painting Bush as warmongering imbecile. It is clear which point of view the LJWolrd wants to reinforce.How odd that anything negative about McCain (see title which is misleading) is stated as fact. Whereas when Obama make flip-flops, the first sentence is something like "Republicans are attacking Obama because they think he has recently flipped flopped on...." a.k.a, it is only the Republicans are saying this and it is just more of the same attacks without any real credibility.

d_prowess 6 years, 6 months ago

Regardless of age, does anyone really think that it should be OK for the next President of the US to be computer illiterate? Admittedly, it is only one characteristic amongst many, but I think it is a fairly important one to have if you want to be the CEO of one of the leading countries of the world. Especially given the role of technology in so much of what we currently do and what is to come in the future.

ontheotherhand 6 years, 6 months ago

Sorry to tell you this, Satirical, but the LJW did not print this because they are Liberals who want Lawrence to think that McCain is out of touch with technology. I read this information days ago; it is all over the news. The LJW printed this for the same reason everyone else did: McCain actually admitted that he is totally out of touch with the technology of today. How can anyone expect him to lead us into the next decade? Personally, if I were running for Pres of the U.S. and I really wanted to win, the last thing I would do is further make myself sound old by not even knowing how to send e-mail. Where is his publicist? Sheesh! Even my mom and dad know how to get to the AARP Web site!

beatrice 6 years, 6 months ago

Andrew, speaking of McCain's character, do you recall when he made a joke while at a Republican event about how ugle the then 13 year old Chelsea Clinton was? Do you mean the kind of character who would make fun of the appearance of a young daughter of what was essentially a co-worker? Do you mean that kind of character? Or how about his character by doing everything he could to prevent both the state of Arizona and the national celebration of MLK day? That kind of character? Or the character it took to be chastised by Congress for his role as one of the Keating Five? Spare me. Barack will be our next President, and then you will see how foolish it is to be calling him a socialist.

Satirical 6 years, 6 months ago

Weezy_Jefferson:"You are so, so far off my point. How did you even reach what you came up with?"I totally understood your point, I chose to comment on the majority of what you wrote and not an implied argument. I was arguing with your comment that the LJWorld isn't biased, by using a similar Hitler reference. Interesting how you failed to say anything about McCain or Bush or conservatives valuing someone who doesn't flip-flop, or make any sort of argument, but still reference Hitler, as if everyone was suppose to get the implied argument.

beatrice 6 years, 6 months ago

I'll bet he has that whole slide-rule thing down, though.

Weezy_Jefferson 6 years, 6 months ago

Marion, you kill me. With all of your terribly long rantings and ravings, including the one here, you still manage to miss the point. How DO you do it?Forgive me for trying to use Hitler as an example. But for crying out loud, it was just an example. Nothing more, nothing less. Let me break it down as simply as I can: My point is that conservatives scoffed at Kerry because he "flip-flopped," implying that Bush never flip-flopped and that the act of flip-flopping is overall a bad thing. However, I'm arguing that flip-flopping isn't always bad, and at the same time not flip-flopping isn't always good. And the example I came up with is Hitler. Again, forgive me for using such an inflammatory example that knocks people's focus off the point.And please. please, please forgive me for my wavering typo. We all know you, Marion, never would flip-flop on the typo issue.