Archive for Friday, July 18, 2008

T-shirt turmoil: ‘Barack Chalk Jayhawk’ T-shirt never should have been allowed, KU says

KU laments ‘Barack Chalk Jayhawk’: T-shirt touting candidate in spotlight after lawsuit

Gov. Kathleen Sebelius pays a visit to Kansas University on Monday to bolster support for Barack Obama before today's Democratic caucuses. She showed off a T-shirt with Hilary Tilkens at the Kansas Union.

July 18, 2008

'Barack Chalk Obama' shirts may violate KU copyright

The University of Kansas claims another T-shirt -- this one with a political message -- is in violation of its copyright standards. Enlarge video

Kathleen Sebelius: Two decades in politics

Kathleen Sebelius is the nominee for Secretary of Health and Human Services in Obama's Cabinet. She has served as Kansas' governor since 2002 and before that was insurance commissioner and a state representative.

Move over "Our Coach Can Eat Your Coach."

There's another T-shirt that Kansas University says is a violation of trademark regulations, though there's no plan to take any action.

At a campaign event in Kansas City, Mo., earlier this year, presidential candidate Barack Obama addressed a group of his supporters from KU as Barack Chalk Jayhawks.

Instant T-shirt.

Small problem: KU has a trademark on the Rock Chalk Jayhawk slogan.

The KU Young Democrats sought and received permission for a one-time, 100 T-shirt run in support of Democratic presidential candidate Barack Obama, so long as only members of the group received the shirts.

Marc Langston, a May KU graduate, was the organizer and purchaser of the shirts. Langston said he sought permission from KU to make the shirts because he wanted to show students the university would work with students.

"I was honestly thrilled they let us print the shirts," Langston said.

The problem came when Gov. Kathleen Sebelius - at a Lawrence campaign event - was photographed in the shirt. Langston said there was a moment of panic when he realized someone outside the club had received a shirt, violating the original agreement.

KU Young Democrats adviser and social welfare professor Alice Lieberman said she began receiving calls from people asking to purchase the same shirt. The Kansas Athletics Department, which monitors trademarks for KU, stepped in and told the Young Democrats not to print any more shirts.

But Lieberman wondered why the university would block student groups from using the slogan. She raised the issue again recently in a post on her blog after reading the Joe-College decision.

"Don't get me wrong, I love the university and they've been good to me," she said. "But if we're supposed to encourage students to be proud of being a Jayhawk, why limit how they can use the symbols?"

Lieberman said she felt students, who pay tuition and fees, should have a bit more leniency when it came to using the university's marks.

Associate athletics director Jim Marchiony said the danger of the "Barack Chalk Jayhawk" shirt was that circulating large numbers might imply that KU was offering an endorsement of Obama.

Marchiony said a line needed to be drawn before it appeared that KU was endorsing a certain presidential candidate. Marchiony said state statute also forbids universities from using their marks to endorse political candidates or positions.

Lieberman said she wasn't sure she agreed with the claim that the shirts might imply university endorsement.

"If someone could work (John) McCain into Jayhawk or KU or Rock Chalk, I would fully support that," she said. "I actually tried, without any success."

Mike Hoeflich, a professor of law at KU and a copyright law expert, said an argument could be made both that this was a copyright violation and an issue of political speech.

"This differs from the recent Joe-College issue," Hoeflich said. "These Obama shirts are expressly political. I doubt anyone would argue that 'Muck Fizzou' is a political statement."

Hoeflich said an argument could be made that because the shirts are politically driven, they fall under free speech. However, he said a stronger case could likely be made that a registered trademark shouldn't be used to support a politician unless consent was given by the trademark holder.

"There's just so much gray area," he said. "That's what we have judges and lawyers for."

Comments

beatrice 6 years, 4 months ago

Barack Chalk Jayhawk rocks!Republicans are clearly being petty and are mad that "McCain Chalk Jayhawk" blows. Please spare us the false indignation.

texburgh 6 years, 4 months ago

Oh boy, they certainly wouldn't want to have someone think they support Obama! Obama supports student aid such as increased Pell grants. Obama supports funding higher education. McCain opposes the Pell grant increases and doesn't support increases in education funding. Yeah, you'd hate people to think that higher ed had an opinion.

Kontum1972 6 years, 4 months ago

now i know why my Senior in high school doesnt want to attend kay u..he did when he was younger....thats all he talked about...now its a different story...gee why don't we see anything like this concerning k-state in the news or at least hear about it...?

Kontum1972 6 years, 4 months ago

..but i dig the blonde in the background....wheeee hoooo..!

TheOriginalCA 6 years, 4 months ago

tyderian (Anonymous) says: .... but letting people use the phrase "Barack Chalk Jayhawk" on a few tshirts isn't going to hurt anyone.=======================================Tyderian, it says above that approval was granted for 100 shirts. Does that not fit your definition of "a few tshirts?"

Alice Lieberman 6 years, 4 months ago

I am the aforementioned faculty advisor who blogged about this, and I would like to make a few tiny corrections to this report. First, there is an implication that I tried to make up a McCain t-shirt while working in the word Jayhawk. I did say this, but the context was different. I certainly am not in the business of figuring out how to support Senator McCain. My point was that students ought to have wider latitude in the use of these symbols, whether they are for McCain or Obama. I also said that anyone who is a sentient being would know that the Barack Chalk t-shirt did not imply university endorsement. Many groups (Hillel, Christian religious groups, and Queers and Allies) have made special t-shirts with Jayhawk iterations that reflect those affiliations. Does anyone think that those would imply endorsement of a specific religion or sexual orientation by the University? My blog is located at www.leftontheprairie.blogspot.com.

Ken Lassman 6 years, 4 months ago

The problem is not that KU fans, Kansans, Joe College, Democrats or Republicans are mis-using the Jayhawk, Rock Chalk or any other KU related symbols, mottos, etc. It's the KU Athletic Dept., the alumni association and associated lawyers who have mis-used the legal system to lay claim to what has long been public domain. I'm getting sick and tired of the University laying claim to things that long ago were created by students and faculty who loved the university as a means for folks across the state, nation, and world to show their love for it. It's kind of like the pythagoreans keeping their theorem hidden away so that they could control how it was used--hogwash!I say that this whole issue is a public welfare project to keep lawyers well fed for generations and the state of Kansas should cut off this subsidy by passing legislation to return the Jayhawk, the words Rock Chalk, and the rest to the public domain where it came from. Can Obama and McCain use the american flag in their ads? On non-sanctioned t-shirts? On even hankerchiefs? Hell yes. I think it's time for us to start lobbying our area legislators to take back what is rightfully ours--I'd much rather deal with the consequences of it being public domain than this kind of endless, tiresome, tripe.

Kontum1972 6 years, 4 months ago

so when do the kay-yew death squad's start hunting down these perpitrators of logo's...and will the gov., be taken into KUstody...?

notajayhawk 6 years, 4 months ago

By the way;"KU" is also a registered trademark.How can there even be a "KU Young Democrats?" I certainly hope they don't have a letterhead that says that or that they sign their correspondence, make posters, or in any way advertise with that tagline when involving themselves in political activity.

Kontum1972 6 years, 4 months ago

2morrow it will be something else thats infringed on.....oh..i did see a kay u logo sticker on a johnnie on the spot...on east 23rd street...is this an endorsement?

1Patriot 6 years, 4 months ago

Rock Chalk my taxes! We should all declare illegal status so that we can all attend KU free!

Richard Heckler 6 years, 4 months ago

Has the KU athletic department turned into a BUSHCO neoconservative hang out that is always attacking?That Obama shirt has no implication whatsover that KU neoconservatives endorse Obama. We all know that could never be.Has the KU sports department become terribly delusional about its' own beauty and importance? Perhaps the athletic department should bone up on charisma,diplomacy and relaxation. Learn to enjoy life rather than spending so much time suppressing others.How about bringing home games back home as the word home implies? Prevent tax increases by mandating all home games be played in Lawrence,Kansas.

Kontum1972 6 years, 4 months ago

hey merrill thats too simple....and our water bill is going up 12%...gee does anyone of us working stiffs get a 12% increase on our wages?

janeyb 6 years, 4 months ago

tangential_reasoners_anonymous (Anonymous) says: "I think I'm going to Up-Chuck Jayhawk."Thank you. Thank you. I am a Democrat and I couldn't put into words how I how felt when I saw the above picture earlier this year and again here. You totally summed it up for me. Democrats aren't supposed to produce kiss-a$$, make-you-puke, crap like that T-shirt. That shirt gives me the same feeling in my gut that I get when I watch Sean Hannity on the telly. "Up-chuck" is the perfect word!

Sean Livingstone 6 years, 4 months ago

I can see the point. KU cannot side with any political figures.

independent_rebel 6 years, 4 months ago

Some kids in my neighborhood set up a lemonade stand at a garage sale, complete with plastic cups and a large sign. They were creative little boogers, as they drew a Jayhawk on each cup and on the sign advertising their lemonade. 25 cents a cup; not a bad deal.I was looking around this particular garage sale, and came across a collection of hardbound Mark Twain books and a poster of Ben Franklin. Figured I'd buy the books and the poster, but dang I was also thirsty, so I walked over to the kids' lemonade stand, stretched out my hand to give them dollar (wanted to give 'em a tip), when, out of nowhere, Jim Marchioney snatched up my cute Jayhawk cup--as well as all the others--ripped the sign into pieces, and asked for the kids to hand over the proceeds of their lemonade sales.Just as the kids' eyes began to tear up, somehow those hardbound Mark Twain books bumped into Jimmy's head to knock some good ol' commen sense into it. Didn't hurt him, of course, just gave him a good noogie.Mark Twain would be proud, I believe.Note: Do not try to find any meaning or truth in the above story. It is a fabrication, but dadgummit it sure what a hoot.I apologize, but not sincerely, for the use of the word "Jayhawk" without the expressed permission of the Lew and Jim and KU stormtroopers. Sorry, about using "KU" as well in the previous paragraph, and in this sentence, too.

Kontum1972 6 years, 4 months ago

DG county....well said..hats off to you...i was also wondering if kay u ...got the 12% increase on their h2o bill..or do they get a discount..and it comes out our pockets?

notajayhawk 6 years, 4 months ago

alicel (Anonymous) says:"I also said that anyone who is a sentient being would know that the Barack Chalk t-shirt did not imply university endorsement."I've said this before, and I'm relatively sure I'll have an occasion to repeat it in the future. Please keep in mind that these 'sentient beings' of which you speak find it necessary to affix labels - with pictures - warning people not to stick their heads ('or any other part of your body') into the towel loop in the restroom.I understand your point "that students ought to have wider latitude in the use of these symbols," and don't totally disagree. I just wonder where the line is drawn.It seems like you're saying a student should be able to take a fresh Fruit-of-the-Loom and a Magic Marker and make themselves a 'Rock Chalk Jayhawk' shirt to wear to the game.How about if they buy the ink and get their roommate, an art major, to make it for them?What if their brother-in-law is a screen printer, and they have him do it, paying for all the materials, and also for his time?Or can they just pay $15 for JoeCollege to make it instead?

Newell_Post 6 years, 4 months ago

If the KU Athletic Corporation wants to act like an investor-owned corporation, and defend its (very) tenuous intellectual property rights through litigation, then following should happen:1. it should lose it non-profit status and pay taxes2. it should pay to the real KU the all-inclusive, fully-loaded costs for facilities, support services, utilities, advertising, and all other normal and usual costs of doing business3. it should compete for employees (athletes) in an open market and pay them professional salaries4. it should be evaluated on how much profit it returns to its equity holders

notajayhawk 6 years, 4 months ago

bennyoates (Anonymous) says: "The facts are that the KU Democrats followed the rules and then refrained from continuing with the shirts after they broke the rules. And Marchiony is probably right to say that permission shouldn't have been granted in the first place. Regardless, the fact remains that the KU Democrats respected the rules.""...followed the rules ... after they broke the rules ... the KU Democrats respected the rules." Uh huh.By the way, if you think it's a matter of jealousy over not having a candidate to match up with Barrack:"When "leaners" are included, it's Obama 46% and McCain 46%."http://www.rasmussenreports.com/public_content/politics/election_20082/2008_presidential_election/general_election_match_up_history

Ignorant_Yokel 6 years, 4 months ago

Does the Jayhawk Motel pay the University licensing fees?

Kontum1972 6 years, 4 months ago

i have a good buddy in iraq who flies attack gunships...he painted a kay u logo in the side of his ship....will lew P go over there and try to make my buddy remove that logo...bet someone would come home in a box...and it wouldnt be my buddy...HooWah..!

moveforward 6 years, 4 months ago

I guess they had better trademark the 'whinerhawk' slogan before my new shirts dry.

63BC 6 years, 4 months ago

If a campus Christian group had asked for a "Rock Chalk for the Rock of Ages" t-shirt anybody think they would have gotten similar consideration?Seriously?Taxpayer-funded bias. Just like in the classroom.

Eric Ryan 6 years, 4 months ago

Since KU allows the Democrat club, would these shirts been fine if they stated on back "KU Democrat Club". By doing so, it would clearly show the University was not endorsing Barrak but rather the University club was. I agree a KU sponsored club should be allowed to use school slogans.

canyon_wren 6 years, 4 months ago

I have to admit that Gov. Sebelius dropped a few points in my estimation by being part of this. The issue of legality is beyond me but I think she should not have been involved, even if she is a Democrat. It's tacky!!

dweezil222 6 years, 4 months ago

Clearly protected as free speech and the ability to organize politically under the First Amendment, trademark or no.

tyderian 6 years, 4 months ago

KU needs to lighten up. The lawsuit business with "Joe-College.com" just shows that the university lacks a sense of humor. I can understand that the university doesn't want to lend its image and/or slogans to a particular political campaign, but letting people use the phrase "Barack Chalk Jayhawk" on a few tshirts isn't going to hurt anyone.

Newell_Post 6 years, 4 months ago

Stop the madness. "Rock Chalk Jayhawk" was invented by the KU geology club and/or chemistry department over 100 years ago. They didn't copyright it.http://www2.ljworld.com/news/2003/oct/22/rock_chalk_myths/For anybody to now claim the exclusive rights to it is obscene.

LiberalDude 6 years, 4 months ago

I'll buy 100 Muck FcCain shirts! That's brilliant!

beatrice 6 years, 4 months ago

"Why is MY university endorsing Barak Hussein Obama?"Because endorsing John Nebackanezer McCain would be dumb.alicel (KU administrator): "I also said that anyone who is a sentient being would know that the Barack Chalk t-shirt did not imply university endorsement." ha, ha. The KU administrator said Marion and bearded aren't sentient beings. ha, ha. Bearded, I love how the crassness of the anti-Obama comment directly below your 10:42 post really drove home your point about the uncivility of liberals. Too funny. Now, call liberals names as you normally do, then get back to us about civility. funny, funny

LiberalDude 6 years, 4 months ago

"Buck Farack?"..... nah it doesn't have the ring to it that Muck FcCain does. Plus from what I know of you conservatives your "God" wouldn't approve of this kind of language, but then again many of you are hypocrites.

Alia Ahmed 6 years, 4 months ago

penguin 6 years, 4 months ago

ya the student group sought permission and was approved. The t-shirt vendor was not and chose to print his shirts anyways. They also gave the students limited permission and stepped in to stop them when it became obvious that they had acceded their 100 shirt -group members limit. Hence they enforced their trademark equally when they felt that each group stepped out of bounds. Obviously this was in different circumstances, but equal enforcement of the rules has nothing to do with equity in permitting use of the trademarked items.

Kontum1972 6 years, 4 months ago

so did lew call up the governor and get in her face..and tell her she would be hearing from his staff of lawyers?Gov. Seb., get on the phone and put him in his place..u do not work for him...your "the Boss" and u can relieve him of his duties or write him up....i as a life long resident and a taxpayer demand u put him in his place as an employee..sit on him!

Gareth Skarka 6 years, 4 months ago

"Associate athletics director Jim Marchiony said".....Who the hell cares what some dumbass jock said about a trademark issue? Does anyone remember when KU was a university, and not the wholly-owned subsidiary of "Athletic Department, Incorporated?"

penguin 6 years, 4 months ago

I do not think it had anything to do with the politics of the group. I tried to get approval for use of a modified Jayhawk for a group with very liberal members some years ago and was denied. I did get a meeting and the trademark people were pretty nice about it. So unless you have any actual proof of the bias occurring...please stop the made up religious persecution. I actually applaud the group for seeking permission. Most student groups (at least in my time on campus) used trademarked images and phrases and never got permission to use the images/phrases. However, I think this also clearly shows that the trademark is enforced across the board. They do it regardless of whether it is from a t-shirt vendor with questionable tastes or a student group.

Kent Fisher 6 years, 4 months ago

Wonder if Perkins/Marchiony disapproves of Jeff Hawkins nickname?..."J-Hawk"

domino 6 years, 4 months ago

I understand where the University is coming from wanting to protect their copyrite - HOWEVER - they did give permission for the shirts to be printed even if in looking back they think they should not have! Is there anything that said how the governor got her shirt? Were the people who origionally got the shirts told they could only keep them for themselves or could they give them away? Lots of fine lines in this one, I think.As far as the "bigger picture" - I think the University is going over the top saying they have the rights to the color blue and the word Kansas!! Would like to hear an explaination as to why some Joe College shirts were ok'd and some not.

budwhysir 6 years, 4 months ago

pebbles stones and rocks, I have red socks, see me run see me punt, on a motorcycle I do stuntssing my song, for all to here, I think its time for one more beer

BeeBee3 6 years, 4 months ago

Good to see Hoeflich took time away from calling in on the 'Voice of Merrill' show to speak on a different topic.

Boston_Corbett 6 years, 4 months ago

I did not see a Union bug on those T-shirts.

notajayhawk 6 years, 4 months ago

bennyoates (Anonymous) says: "You heard me right, notajayhawk. When KU told the YDs to refrain from producing more shirts after their infraction, they stopped making shirts."Why, I already knew I heard you right, bennyoates, and I think you summed it up quite nicely. The sad part is that you don't see anything wrong with it.Somehow it just seems kind of - well, stupid, I guess - to praise someone for their integrity because they started following the rules after they got caught breaking them.

kujayhawk 6 years, 4 months ago

I found a "K" and a "U" next to each other in a word document I wrote the other day. Do I need to go hire an attorney now?

budwhysir 6 years, 4 months ago

Are things like this the reason my taxes keep going up???

compmd 6 years, 4 months ago

Look at this from a different perspective. Let's look at the concept of "second sale."They do not have legal standing to make demands regarding what the original owner does with his shirt that he owns. The university may claim rights over the textverbiage of the shirt, not the shirt itself. The university did not make the shirts, nor did they pay for them. According to the article, the license only extends to the original sale: only club members may receive the shirt. After that, the university cannot claim control over it since it is not theirs and the original license requirement was fulfilled. Imagine Ford telling you that you may not sell your car because it contains a trademarked Ford logo on the hood that you do not have license to use as a method of marketing the vehicle.

notajayhawk 6 years, 4 months ago

Logan72 (Alia Ahmed) says: "There are church leaders and churches who endorse political candidates and still receive non-proft status. Has the Catholic Churh lost its non-profit status even though the archbishop has publicly stated Governor Sebelius shouldn't take communion?"Is there some reason that a religious organization should lose their non-profit status because an archbishop enforces its own rules in its own churches on one of the members of its own congregations? Did the archbishop publicly endorse an opponent of the governor's during any election?***penguin (Anonymous) says: "However, I think this also clearly shows that the trademark is enforced across the board. They do it regardless of whether it is from a t-shirt vendor with questionable tastes or a student group."Well, except the student group was given permission to print the shirts (whether or not KU now says it shouldn't have) and the T-shirt vendor was not.

Gina Bailey-Carbaugh 6 years, 4 months ago

Oh, good grief. Can't we move on to something else?.

Lindsey Buscher 6 years, 4 months ago

Yabut 6 years, 4 months ago

alicel (Anonymous) says......... Many groups (Hillel, Christian religious groups, and Queers and Allies) have made special t-shirts with Jayhawk iterations that reflect those affiliations. Does anyone think that those would imply endorsement of a specific religion or sexual orientation by the University?Um, yes (and if that makes me a non-sentinent being, considering I got my Masters from KU, that says a lot more about the university than it does me).alicel (Anonymous) says:.....I also said that anyone who is a sentient being would know that the Barack Chalk t-shirt did not imply university endorsement.Maybe they decided to edit out this commentary out of kindness, as it makes you sound like a pretentious a$$.

micah6_8 6 years, 4 months ago

Logan72 (Alia Ahmed) says: "There are church leaders and churches who endorse political candidates and still receive non-proft status. Has the Catholic Church lost its non-profit status even though the archbishop has publicly stated Governor Sebelius shouldn't take communion?"What a moron! The archbishop did NOT violate any separation of church and state laws, nor did it make a political statement. The archbishop made his statement ex-officio to one of the church members within his care. It was based on the theological-doctrinal position of the church, made to a member of that church, not made as a statement endorsing Sebelius's political personna or role. The fact that she is a Governor has nothing to do with her "standing" with the Roman Catholic Church. If the archbishop came out and said that ANYONE who holds public office should be denied communion or should be excommunicated, or more the real implication of the law, that the archbishop ENDORSES a person running for public office, THEN it would be a violation.Otherwise, the archbishop was entirely within his purview when he issued his statement regarding Sebelius. He was also well within the law. That fact that Sebelius is a public figure does not mitigate either.

bearded_gnome 6 years, 4 months ago

well,for once, Marion has it right. KU allowed 100-shirts, don't matter if KU had allowed 1 shirt. some of you in the posts above didn't read the comments"We're a state university," he said. "We should never be used to further a political candidacy."Marchiony said a line needed to be drawn before it appeared that KU was endorsing a certain presidential candidate. Marchiony said state statute also forbidsuniversities from using their marks to endorse political candidates or positions.In retrospect, he said, permission for the shirt probably shouldn't have been given in the first place.the law forbids the university from implying any support of any candidate. further, liberaldude's post and the idea for a t-shirt, exemplifies the uncivil nature of modern liberals. thanks for demonstrating that again. "Buck Farack?" yeah, you guys would be marching in the streets, a liberal SW prof who advertised her blog on her would be out burning her bra, there'd be cries of "racism" etc. etc. etc.! uncivil left, double standard.

frowniebrown 6 years, 4 months ago

http://www.lawrenceautodiag.com/This ad banner is flashing on the right side of this page right now. Everyone uses KU trademarks in this town!

Alia Ahmed 6 years, 4 months ago

micah6_8 (Anonymous) says: Logan72 (Alia Ahmed) says:"There are church leaders and churches who endorse political candidates and still receive non-proft status. Has the Catholic Church lost its non-profit status even though the archbishop has publicly stated Governor Sebelius shouldn't take communion?"What a moron! Well, micah, I looked back at your previous comments and see you identify yourself as a pastor. Is it godly or "pastorly" to call someone a "moron" because you disagree with them philosophically or politically? If you'd read or considered my post in the context it was written, you would have realized I was not advocating that the Catholic Church lose their non-profit status. My response was to a previous poster who said if the tables were turned, liberals would want the non-profit status denied to religious instititutions. I was pointing out that religious leaders do make political statements and their institutions non-profit status seems secure on both sides of the fence. (Fred Phelps, Rev. Hagee, Pat Robertson, Emanuel Cleaver, Dobson, Rev. Wright just to name a few). I didn't say whether or not I agreed with that. Just pointing it out. You say the archbishop is correct in passing the judgment that Gov. Sebelius not take communion since she is Catholic. To me, it does seem to be a politically motivated statement since he made a public statement. Again, I don't argue that the Catholic Church lose its non-profit status because of it, but it seems disingenious to say he public statement is not political. By the way, the word "moron" was previously used to describe someone with limited intellectual abilities. Now it is considered derogatory to refer to anyone by that name. I'm no pastor and I don't know if I am interpreting the Bible verse correcting, but "As you do to the least of these" comes to mind. God Bless.

63BC 6 years, 4 months ago

Imagined bias?This is the university which had to suspend a professor---in the religion department no less---for bigoted comments against people he chose to slur as "fundies."Doubtful he would have approved of the religious orientation of the authors of the First Amendment, who after all valued human freedom precisely because they believed that's how the Almighty wanted people to live together.

micah6_8 6 years, 4 months ago

Rock, chalk, chickenhawk, muck Kayoo!

morganlefay 6 years, 4 months ago

LiberalDude is awesome. And I would buy several Muck FcCain shirts. Damn, I wish someone would make those!

frowniebrown 6 years, 4 months ago

http://www2.ljworld.com/marketplace/search/?q=Rock+Chalk2 out of 3 not affiliated with the University, I wonder why its okay in those cases. I'm honestly curious.

Linda Endicott 6 years, 4 months ago

So if KU students originally came up with the "Rock Chalk Jayhawk" chant, how exactly does the university think they now have sole ownership of it? If the chant was developed in 1886, has the university been paying royalties to the student who came up with it, or his descendents, in the years since then? Did they pay a lump sum to the student/s or their families for the appropriation of the chant? Inquiring minds want to know...I personally am sick and tired of KU crying foul over every little word or color that others use, and vow to never, ever buy another officially licensed anything...They're behaving like children fighting over the last "blue" crayon...

tjw0452 6 years, 4 months ago

BigPrune 6 years, 4 months ago

It sure took awhile for KU's response.5 February 2008 at 11:22 a.m.Suggest removal PermalinkBigPrune (Anonymous) says: Barak Chalk Jayhawk? Copyright infringement anyone? Why is MY university endorsing Barak Hussein Obama? These T-Shirts essentially say the government of the State of Kansas is endorsing Obama especially since the governor is wearing one at a state funded university and in a state funded building. Who paid for her transportation to this event?

beatrice 6 years, 4 months ago

b3, very clever. To switch the letter "F" from a very bad word that will get you banned for using around here with the first letter of somebody or something else. Brilliant. Really. Why, if virtually everybody hadn't already done the exact same thing, people might think of you as a genius. Talk about showing up late for the party.

moderntrinitys 6 years, 4 months ago

What I want to know is this -- do the shirts clearly state they are from the KU Young Democrats club? Do SILC-registered clubs not have the right to use the symbols of the university their members attend (and pay for)? That's like saying the student-run "Let's All Be Friends Club" can't have "KU" in the name, despite being affiliated with KU, because not everyone wants to be friends. OF COURSE the university doesn't support a particular candidate (or at least can't admit it), but of course the KU Young DEMOCRATS do. I admit I have never seen the shirts, but, if they do indeed CLEARLY state they are produced by the Young Democrats, then they have the right to incorporate KU tradition. I don't support any political candidate or party, but I sure as heck don't support my free speech being bought-out by the University either."Kansas" belongs to the taxpayers of the state and the people like me who pay Jim Marchiony's inflated wages. The sooner the greedy gits at the KU Athletics Corp. realize that, the better.

antney 6 years, 4 months ago

defineboredom 6 years, 4 months ago

First, do i need to remove my right arm at the shoulder since it has a jayhawk tattooed on it that I KNOW FOR CERTAIN was not given permission to be there?? do i need to get permission for my next one that shows the jayhawk eating an uncooked wildcat and tiger? second, i am sure it has already been said, BUT i have the perfect solution... the young repubs need to come up with a snappy t-shirt and the university needs to approve it and limit the run to 100 and they need to give one to some big-wig repub and get a picture with it... there, problem solved... LONG LIVE MUCK FIZZOU!!! oh, i forgot my old neighbor Hoeflich... my shirt Muck Fizzou shirt represents my strong need to have the state to the east removed from the union so puerto rico will have room to join and properly pay taxes... thus, my shirt DOES have a political meaning to it...