Archive for Thursday, July 17, 2008

Aiden, Addison top Kansas baby names for 2007

What's in a name? The Kansas Department of Health and Environment releases the top baby names for 2007 today.

July 17, 2008

Related document

Top 25 names for Kansas babies ( .PDF )

Some babies in Kansas are making a name for themselves.

Most notably, girls named Addison and boys named Aiden.

The Kansas Department of Health and Environment released its report on the most popular baby names in the state for 2007.

Addison topped the girls' list, followed by Emma, Madison, Ava and Hailey.

Joining Aiden atop the boys' list were Kaden, Ethan, Jackson and Jacob.

The lists are compiled from birth certificate information. The list counts different spellings of the same name as one name.

Some Lawrence parents were happy their child's names didn't make the list.

Jordan Waid, a KU graduate living in London, England, said his child's name was a compromise - Sebastian Phog Waid.

"I'm a Royals fan and a Jayhawk fan, and my wife wouldn't let me call him Royal Phog," he said.

"When my friends heard we named him after Phog Allen, they were pretty excited and kind of bummed out they didn't name their own kid after him."

Susan Theroff knew her daughter wouldn't make the list. Her name is Birgitte (pronounced bur-gee-tuh), and heritage played a role in the choice.

"My folks are from Denmark, so it was a Danish name," she said. "We knew we wanted a different name and that one seemed to be the one that really worked for her."

One couple avoided the list - narrowly. Jordon Oldfather named his son Jake, not short for Jacob, which came in at No. 5 on the baby name list. And he narrowly avoided another top name.

"We were going to name him Logan, and then one day it was just Jake," he said. Logan rounded out the top 10 boys' names.

Comments

Janet Lowther 6 years, 5 months ago

Reality_Check: Debora is the traditional spelling, and the name of one of the judges of Israel in the Old Testament. Heck if I know where Debra came from, maybe phonetic from people who just couldn't be bothered with three syllables.

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 6 years, 5 months ago

"Timothy McVeigh, convicted and sentenced to death for the lethal Oklahoma City bombing of 1995, chose (the poem) "Invictus" as his final statement."http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Invictus

mom_of_three 6 years, 5 months ago

I think Ethan is a very strong boy's name. And it's been around for a while - long while. Invictus - I don't think creative spellings could be considered low life. It is a little annoying for people to spell, but you get used to having your name misspelled after a while. As long as it's pronounced correctly.

mom_of_three 6 years, 5 months ago

BTW, I have very unusual names, as I was named after family members.

ksdivakat 6 years, 5 months ago

I thought my kids names were weird when I had them and now Im finding more and more Kassidi's but most are spelled Cassidy, so shes still unique, but not weird!

cheer67 6 years, 5 months ago

If you type "Jose" into the website that Jim gave, it's actually #35 right now. And number 1 in Texas.

mom_of_three 6 years, 5 months ago

If I am at a counter, and they ask me my name, I give them my last name or my husband's name instead of my own, because I don't want to try to spell it. Yes, I tell them how to spell it, but they use the wrong letters because they think I am saying it wrong. Believe me, multi, I have went through it all.

Confrontation 6 years, 5 months ago

Expect to see Jose and Maria as the top names soon.

storm 6 years, 5 months ago

The nature verses nurture begins with the name. Carson becomes a butler or maid - gender unknown. LaKeesha was born after the Roots movie. Zoe is in the creative field. Tucker lives in a trailer and works at the factory. Vincent becomes a priest. Juanita and Dolores were born in the 40's.

penguin 6 years, 5 months ago

Odd names can be fun. I have always been happy not to decipher who someone was talking to when in an area with many people. The fact that I was not one of 4 kids named Josh or 5 kids named John in a class always was nice. However, please the spellings are getting a bit out of control. Sometimes they just show the ignorance of those giving the name. The most notable to me are Dru, Drue, Andru, Andruw and the like. When giving your kids the name of a verb like that just stay with the original. Also if one needs to hit the shift bar one the numbers row of your keyboard than it should not be in your child's name. Trust me your kids will thank you for it later when they are seeking employment.On another note, my stepdad's favorite names have always been Sven for a boy and Svetlana for a girl...but he was never able to dole those out :)

jim_74 6 years, 5 months ago

NameTrends has a cool screen that shows the popularity of a name across the country.Addison and Aiden are both particularly popular in the middle of the country compared to the South or the coasts. You can see Addison got its start around Kansas about five years ago:http://nametrends.net/name.php?name=Addison

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 6 years, 5 months ago

Dweezil and Moon Unit are on the way up the list, too.

acg 6 years, 5 months ago

Storm, you are so right. Chicks named Tiffany, Amber and Heather usually end up swinging the pole. Willow is in a park somewhere strumming her guitar, wearing her dress made of hemp and Blake and Chancellor prob get beat up a lot when they are kids, but end up owning a large corporation or something. I don't see what's wrong with the name Aidan. I wouldn't name my child that as it's too popular and popular names bore me. There are certain names that are totally off the list, no matter what. I'd name my son Aluicious before I'd name him Mike, Mark or Steve.

Mike Blur 6 years, 5 months ago

If my mom named me Aiden, I'd slap her silly.

janeyb 6 years, 5 months ago

Garth became a billionaire country singer and a funny Wayne sidekick. George became a good president and two bad presidents. We know we don't want to go to the dark side and name a kid Dick or Darth. Hannah and Montana are out.I've always hated my name--no it isn't Janey--so I want to give a kid a decent name that hopefully won't leave any permanent scars. Maybe we should just pick a temporary name and let the kids choose their own names. That could get interesting.

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 6 years, 5 months ago

How about Timothy or Timmy? Is that a good name, invictus?

acg 6 years, 5 months ago

Blah Blah Blah TOB you and your pesky logic again! ; )

acg 6 years, 5 months ago

I am reproducing again TOB. I wasn't expecting too, but my hubby is a horny idiot that keeps cancelling his vascectomy appointment when I'm not paying attention. He always has an excuse but I think that he's afraid he's going to end up like an old, worn out dog if he gets the snip-snip. :) We found out Monday it's a boy and it's due Thanksgiving Day. BTW, invictus is one of my favorite poems. It's very powerful.

pimp11 6 years, 5 months ago

Luck Few Poi kinsChinese #1 Name for boyz (change F & L around for those that dont get it)

janeyb 6 years, 5 months ago

My older brother likes his name , Jacob, but hates when someone yells "Jake" and he turns to find someone talking to their little kid. He says it happens daily in his work. Mom says when she picked out the name Jacob in 1980 it was way down the popular list (Jason and Brian were the big names then) and Bible names were actually thought of as old fashioned. So even if you are careful about selecting a different name, it may become popular later.

zzgoeb 6 years, 5 months ago

Aiden and Addison...great names for a county or dog maybe? And Phog...yeah I always wanted to go thru life named by somebody that won a game of Beer Pong! Family names, place names, all seem best to me, but hey, why not name your offspring after a trashy celeb, something you saw on a tee-shirt....further proving we are in a downward spiral here culturally! Have you seen the film "Idiocracy"? Should be required viewing in every middle school in America!

mom_of_three 6 years, 5 months ago

Oh, gee, Pywacket, maybe the "sheep" you are referring to just like the name!! and who can help that everyone else likes it, too. At the time I named my 2nd child, I picked an older name as I didn't know too many people with that name. By the time she got to school, there were 3 others in her grade with the same name. Did I know in advance there would be a resurgence - no.

acg 6 years, 5 months ago

I love that this story came out today since my hubby and I are trying to pick out a new baby name. There are a lot to choose from. I hate it when you're trying to choose the right name, and people ask you if you have any name choices yet and you tell them and they say "oh, I don't like __". Well geez, dckhead, nobody asked you if you liked the name and nobody said it was to name you, so pss off somewhere. My mother is the worst. She seems to think that she has to have a hand in naming all of our children. The other day I told her to get bent, she wasn't naming my kids. She had her chance to name four and ended up with Amy, Gina, Dianna and Jeff. Yawn!

tangential_reasoners_anonymous 6 years, 5 months ago

Hmm... these A...D...D names.Doesn't bode well for the future.

preebo 6 years, 5 months ago

My wife and I went completely the opposite way with our kids names. Our oldest son, whom was born in 2002, is Julian (the name was rare that year). As for our daughter, we went a little more traditional, Abigail is her name (born in 2006). Our newest and FINAL addition due in December of this year, is a boy and will named after Henry David Thoreau.

Mike Blur 6 years, 5 months ago

I'm actually on board with invictus on this one. For all moms out there who have, or are contemplating, naming their sons Aiden, Caiden, etc. Just remember, kids on playgrounds can be cruel in their teasing. "Gaiden the Maiden?" I caught a lot of grief growing up hearing "he likes it! Hey Mikey!" Fortunately, I lived through that, and now, not many people under 30 even know what I'm referring to!Name your baby boy Thor, Hercules, or even Bam-Bam. I'm serious. No one will tease your kid, ever.

mom_of_three 6 years, 5 months ago

My first and middle names are very unusual, as well as my nickname. My nickname is easy to pronounce and spell if you have any common sense. But people have trouble with it because it is not a common name. I have endured people not being able to pronounce any of my names for years 40+ years now, and I am still alive to tell about it. And after a while, it doesn't really matter. NO one needs to tell me the "heartbreak" of an odd name. Believe me, mine is rare. And I was named after my grandmothers, although my grandmother and I had different nick names. I don't think there is any ignorance on giving a child a creatively spelled name. Perhaps the parents looked at the kid when he was born, and thought the spelling fit the face. Just because you or I wouldn't do it, doesn't make it ignorant or dumb. My eldest childest middle names are those of her grandmothers, and my youngest has the middle name of my grandmother (which isn't commonly used, but a common name).

HootyWho 6 years, 5 months ago

i work in a doctor's office,,,and i wish everyone would come in and just give their REAL name, no matter how weird they think it is, or how much they hate it, it just makes my job easier, i can find your chart, and when we submit your bill to the insurance company, it makes it easier to get it paid, so we don't have to submit it twice, and you won't call the office foaming at the mouth because it didn't get paid Thank you