Archive for Wednesday, July 16, 2008

National survey ranks KU as a ‘great college to work for’

KU is named one of the 'great colleges to work for,' that according to a new national survey.

July 16, 2008

Kansas University has been named one of the "great colleges to work for," according to a new survey.

KU was recognized as a top-five university among large institutions in 12 out of 27 categories, according to a report appearing in the Friday edition of the Chronicle of Higher Education.

Among the categories were teaching environment, facilities and security, collaborative governance and work-life balance.

The magazine's cover features KU professor of ecology Helen Alexander.

"From my understanding, KU was contacted (about a photograph) because they had rated highly," Alexander said. "Someone found a file photo of me they liked. I'm proud to help out, though."

Although she hadn't read the article yet, Alexander said she felt comfortable saying that KU has been a positive place to work.

According to the Chronicle of Higher Education, schools were ranked based on survey responses from more than 15,000 administrators, faculty and staff at 89 colleges.

Michael Ettredge, a Crown/Sherr professor of business with the School of Business, said he thought because the Chronicle had sent the survey to faculty and staff, it was a fair look at how the majority of KU employees felt.

"I have only worked at one other university, so it's hard for me to compare," he said. "But there are a lot of good things about KU."

Kay Coblentz, an administrative associate senior for the School of Fine Arts for the past two years, said she agreed with the report.

"I like working with the faculty and students," she said.

The only other universities to make more top five appearances than KU were Stanford in 24 categories, and Emory in Atlanta and Michigan, both in 13.

Comments

fu7il3 6 years, 11 months ago

"I took part in this survey as a KU employee and very much agree with the results. KU is a great place to work."Are you Lew Perkins? :p

mom_of_three 6 years, 11 months ago

"lowly secretaries" I hardly think so.....According to the report, a list of employees was sent to the magazine and they sent the survey to a specific number of random employees

lawrencian 6 years, 11 months ago

I think that there are pluses and minuses to working here, and since when did a survey like this take the lowly secretaries and custodial staff into account?

Sean Livingstone 6 years, 11 months ago

Solomon,Really? You think the staffs are exploited?

Brad Barker 6 years, 11 months ago

missmagoo 6 years, 11 months ago

definitely not ranked in 'pay' category :) and i agree, solomon

bluerose 6 years, 11 months ago

ha ha ha ha ha ha haespecially if you are a football coach.

Teri Chambers 6 years, 11 months ago

OldEnuf2BYurDad said: but, so sorry, no raise again for the 7th-8th year in a row. as support staff i've received raises every year since KU removed the classified employees from civil service. you wife must either-a) be support staff and not get satisfactory evaluationsb) not be support staff, but work in food services or another entity that is a subcontractor for KUc) be unclassified profession and I don't know how they do their raises.while my pay could be better, i am getting raises. what makes for the headaches are those faculty who feel they don't have to follow any policies, wait until the last minute to get stuff done then try to make their emergency my emergency and generally be condescending and rude toward the staff.

OldEnuf2BYurDad 6 years, 11 months ago

"c) be unclassified profession and I don't know how they do their raises."That's the one. She gets raving reviews, every year. "We wish we had more like you."

Ceallach 6 years, 11 months ago

OldEnuf, she is in a category that can be very very good, or very very bad. Most of those are "serves at the pleasure of" type positions. USS (with satisfactory or higher evals) have "across the board" increases and then the percent of merit depends on your supervisor (or the supervisor's supervisor). However, I don't believe UPS receive the across the board. Their increase is totally at the discretion of the department administration.

ukillaJJ 6 years, 11 months ago

Professors don't even get tuition breaks for their families!

brother_cumulus 6 years, 11 months ago

How would a custodian know whether where they worked was better than another place...less poop stains on the toilets?Speaking of which...I would hate to be the poor soul who has to clean Mangino's toilet.

GSWtotheheart 6 years, 11 months ago

workinghard (Anonymous) says: And that is why we see union employees picketing at Iowa and 15th? They don't look too happy to me.Those picketers are not KU employees. They work for a union, not the Union on campus.

Sean Livingstone 6 years, 11 months ago

OldEnuf2BYurDad,I somehow agree with you. I take own personal pay and my contribution to the school, and also my colleagues'. I'm comparing equal performance with another University (like research funding and contributions). Right now, I'm paid $8,000 less than my friend at another big 12 school, and my department's ranking is higher, and I have done more in term of funding, and publications. In fact, I'm teaching one more class every year, trying to develop something for my department. I'm paid $18,000 less than another at a famous big 12 (Texas).One of my colleagues who is a very famous professor in the entire USA is paid $35,000 lesser than another equally famous professor at another Big 12 university.Yeap, there are pay differences. With things like that, a lot of good faculties are leaving, including myself, who is making a plan to do so.

cowboy 6 years, 11 months ago

the pay scales for the skilled trade staff at KU are a joke , journeyman level skill requirements and starting pay a little over 11 , yet they raise tuition at 5-8 percent clips. Barely qualifies for a living wage rating.

Alfred_W 6 years, 11 months ago

Hey, survey people - pass the pipe down this way!They must have only interviewed people in the athletic dept and faculty/staff in 'sexy' disciplines like biochemistry and pharmaceuticals.They obviously didn't have the opportunity to question folks like me that left dear old KU for better benefits, higher salary, better training and equipment, and greater professional development. And all this working for a cash strapped metro-KC municipality (who, by the way, at least has the sense not to spend multimillions on new buildings and THEN try to figure out how to pay for it). Even with the $4/gallon gas I'm coming out ahead each month.Yo Chancellor Bob, take another hit and tell me again how KU is so much like Stanford and U of M.

workinghard 6 years, 11 months ago

TopJayhawk 6 years, 11 months ago

It's all moot, because obviously, no one is happy in Lawrence. It's not cool to be happy.

OldEnuf2BYurDad 6 years, 11 months ago

"Maybe for professors. Not so much for staff."Wrong! Truthfully: Maybe for professors, definitely NOT for staff!Does this take into account how many KU staffers/faculty are suffering from "salary compression"? Every (EVERY!!) year my wife is told she's the best thing that's happened at KU since sliced bread arrived at Lewis Hall... but, so sorry, no raise again for the 7th-8th year in a row. That is a COMMON experience for the KU staffer.My wife is paid $15-20K less than her counterpart at peer institutions. Like that Verizon commercial on TV, all they can say is "that is a problem, and we are working on it". Every year at review time her boss gives her a tearful apology for not being able to do anything about the discrepancy.

Sean Livingstone 6 years, 11 months ago

urthlvr, "while my pay could be better, i am getting raises. what makes for the headaches are those faculty who feel they don't have to follow any policies, wait until the last minute to get stuff done then try to make their emergency my emergency and generally be condescending and rude toward the staff."What policies and rules are you talking about? If you're working at some KU departments, your work could be "emergency" at all time. For example, I do a lot of research and write a lot of proposals, and never once I get the news from the funding agencies early enough so that I know whether I have the chance to get it. Sometimes the research team is so big, that waiting for everyone to come back is a backbreaking task. Academic researchers are supposed to be extremely creative, so policies and rules do not work well with them. If they like rules and policies, they will never make good faculties.About being rude? This is personal, not all are rude.

Sean Livingstone 6 years, 11 months ago

Of course, I'm not saying that faculties are not supposed to follow the rules. However, a lot of faculties bring home their work and actually work at home... I used to work in the industry before joining KU as an academia. Weekends used to be MINE, no longer it is like that. But I enjoy the flexible time, though I really do more work (as I have to worry about my summer salary unless I get an endowment or something). Now, weekends are NO longer MINE. Other than research, we're supposed to share teaching and service loads. Extremely large load, but no one really sees us doing the work.Yes, the staffs are not well-paid. But it all depends on supply and demand.

Kasha 6 years, 11 months ago

"This recognition confirms what we know - KU is a great place to be," Chancellor Robert Hemenway said in a statement."And it is a tribute to our community of students, faculty and staff who create and support the KU environment."I imagine for the KU Athletic Dept., Coaches, Deans, Professors, and the Chancellor and Vice Chancellors, "KU is a great place to be." You all can afford to live here.But the working staff? Not so much.I retired from K.U. in 1991, a former Classified Administrative Assistant. I lived comfortably in Lawrence for almost thirty years, and was assured of a fine Retirement Plan with KPERS. Yeah. Right. Retirees have not had an increase in their checks in eight years. My pathetic $800 per month doesn't even cover half of my rent in a retirement facility, much less a pathetic Social Security check {tell me again, why I have to pay for the health care of illegal immigrants?) I am seriously considering leaving Lawrence. Not because I don't like it here, I do, but I can't afford to live here any longer.Mark Vierthaler may want to do a follow-up on the KPERS fiasco. Perhaps he'll have better luck than I have writing to Gov. Sebelius, Barbara Ballard, Chancellor Hemenway, KPERS, and LJW Letters to the Editor about this unacceptable situation.Meanwhile, all of you Classified employees keep on working your little hearts out, but take my advice. Don't stay long enough to expect a decent retirement pension.