Archive for Monday, July 7, 2008

KU rejects proposal for beer sales in union

Students hoped a new proposal would allow 3.2% beer sales on the first level of the Kansas Union. However, the proposal - approved in February by the KU Memorial Corporation Board - was not OK with Provost Richard Lariviere.

July 7, 2008

The taps will remain off at Kansas University's Jaybowl.

Students were hoping a new proposal - packed with safety measures - would allow those 21 and older to enjoy a 3.2-percent beer while bowling on the first level of the Kansas Union.

However, the proposal, which was approved in February by the KU Memorial Corporation Board, was not OK with Provost Richard Lariviere.

He informed board members of his decision through a memo Monday.

"There are a number of reasons why it would not be in the university's best interest, but the one the provost cited specifically in a very, brief memo to the board members was the serious nature of alcohol abuse among college students and the social issues surrounding alcohol use," said Lynn Bretz, director of university communications.

Bretz said the fact that KU plays host to events for high school and grade school students weighed into the decision. Lariviere, who is out of town this week, also considered a survey of other Big 12 schools that found only four served alcohol.

Bill Walberg, a senior from El Dorado Hills, Calif., and a member of the union board, led the effort to bring back beer sales.

"Even though I do disagree with the decision that was made, I am in full support of what the provost decided to do," he said. "I do see that this could hurt the image of the university and deter what the goal of the university is, which is education. So, I can see where he is coming from on that."

Walberg said the provost's decision would be discussed Aug. 23 during the board's first meeting of the school year.

Beer was sold in the Union until 1998 when a task force of city, KU and Haskell Indian Nations University representatives convened after the death of KU student Lisa Rosel. She was hit and killed by a car driven by KU student Matt Vestal as she walked in the 1400 block of Tennessee Street. Police said both Rosel and Vestal were intoxicated.

Comments

whiskeysour 6 years, 5 months ago

why has the ljworld not published anything about the JoeCollege trial/testimony. . . am I the only one who has missed this? Its pretty bad when I'm going to cjonline to read about KU.

fu7il3 6 years, 5 months ago

The union isn't owned by the university. It's owned by a corporation. The athletic department owns the stadium. They are owned by two seperate corprate entities.

Brandon Devlin 6 years, 5 months ago

I still remember taking bowling (I know, my secret shame) my junior year with some friends of mine and we'd always have two or three pitchers during "class" at the Jaybowl. . .(or maybe we couldn't have them during "class" and just had them before and after.)Good times.

delta77 6 years, 5 months ago

Of course, they are more than willing to serve alcohol to rich alumni and administrators in the Union.

Confrontation 6 years, 5 months ago

Well, I'm just concerned that KU students will have absolutely no place to drink. What? There are other places that serve alcohol in Lawrence? Oh.

sizzleplate 6 years, 5 months ago

Who goes to JayBowl anyways? If you really need to drink and bowl there are other options...

iLikelawrence 6 years, 5 months ago

it was to prevent terrorists and evil doers from hurting our beloved jaybowl

dweezil222 6 years, 5 months ago

Wait... KU doesn't even own its own union? Well heck, in that case, to whomever owns the union... tell the university to piss off and let's have some crappy 3.2 beer!

sjschlag 6 years, 5 months ago

It's pretty east to BYOB to cosmic bowling at jaybowl...my friends and I did it all the time, and our scores improved as the night went on.

Alia Ahmed 6 years, 5 months ago

Gl0ck0wnr- I don't know about that. It seems like a lots of younger people drink beer instead of other drinks because it may be a more cost effective drinking binge. You could be right though, Jaybowl would need to serve margaritas to entice me to drink and bowl. :~)

Alia Ahmed 6 years, 5 months ago

Perhaps the university is trying not to upset the downtown bar owners by being in competition with them by selling beer. There have already been hard feelings between downtown merchants and the university. I also think it is not necessary to serve beer at the Union since a large number of students are under the legal drinking age.

granny 6 years, 5 months ago

whiskeysour - you probably didn't read anything about JoeCollege in the JW because the owner is the son of a retired JW employee -

i_have_only_valid_opinions 6 years, 5 months ago

Don't you think if you open the union to alcohol sales that you would have to open the stadiums to it as well? What would be the difference?

fu7il3 6 years, 5 months ago

A majority of rich alumni and administrators are over 21. A majority of students are not.

Jabb3r 6 years, 5 months ago

Good call. There is no place for 3.2-percent beer on campus; hold out for spirits.

deskboy04 6 years, 5 months ago

No beer drinking, smoking, or shooting fireworks....it's all bad for you. They should put in an organic snack bar at the bowling alley. Gotta go now, I am going to ride my bike.

ukillaJJ 6 years, 5 months ago

Would you rather have students abusing alcohol while driving to off-campus locations, or just drunk on campus?The choice is yours Mr. Provost?

Confrontation 6 years, 5 months ago

Yes! Either give them alcohol or they'll die! Slippery slope, baby!

Secret_Agent 6 years, 5 months ago

I would love to have a glass of wine when I eat at Improv (the Union's restaurant). Too bad KU takes a teetotaler stance. If people are taught responsibility and moderation there wouldn't be so much binging. It is, despite the Provost's opinion, possible to enjoy a drink or two without getting behind the wheel (we have Safe Ride!) and/or binging.

Boeing 6 years, 5 months ago

That water...er 3.2 beer...is dangerous stuff. It should be kept out of our campus at all cost!

dweezil222 6 years, 5 months ago

It's only necessary to make bowling fun.

Eride 6 years, 5 months ago

I wouldn't drink that beer anyway so I don't care.Now if the Union starts serving Copperhead on tap...

sjschlag 6 years, 5 months ago

The KU Union is still BYOB.I go to Royal crest in the summer anyways, they have cheap game night on mon. and wed.