Business

Business

Barbecue joint ready to move into old Bucky’s location

The longtime home to Bucky's Drive-In is about to get a new tenant - a barbecue joint.

July 7, 2008

Jim Biemick will soon move Biemer's BBQ to the former Bucky's Hamburgers location near the corner of Ninth and Iowa streets.

Biemer's BBQ is about to move into the former Bucky's location near Centennial Park.

Biemer's, operating for nearly a year out of a portion of a Phillips 66 station at 3300 W. Sixth St., is making plans to grow into the drive-through building that had been the longtime home of Bucky's - a place that boasts twice as much space, resides close to even more traffic and offers a chance to expand a menu that has been starving for more.

"This is going to be it," said owner Jim Biemick, of his growth plans. "I don't ever want to get big - big big. I just want to get popular."

That's where the former Bucky's site comes in.

He plans to make the move in time to be open by Aug. 15, after closing the place that's been his business home since September.

While the location at the Miller Mart has helped him build his barbecue business - launched five years ago with a trailer hauled to dog shows, motorcycle shows and the Douglas County Fair - the service station setup couldn't expand to keep up with demand, he said.

So the new location, with 3,000 square feet of space and seating for 88, will let him add fries, onion rings and fried pickles to the menu, he said. Chicken and sausage also will be expected to join the familiar pulled pork, beef, turkey, pork ribs and loaded baked potatoes.

Biemick also will serve beer, add Sunday hours and stay open later Mondays through Saturdays - "or until we run out of meat," he said - in an effort to make the best use out of a familiar building that is close to the intersection of Ninth and Iowa streets, and all the visibility and traffic that comes with it.

"We're going to try to capitalize on some of that stuff," Biemick said.

Biemick signed a three-year lease with an ownership group led by Doug Compton, president of First Management Inc., Lawrence. The partnership acquired the property at 2120 W. Ninth St. in February, and also owns the former Sinclair service station next door, at the northwest corner of Ninth and Iowa streets.

Biemick said that he would anticipate being part of any future redevelopment at the site, such as by occupying the corner of a new building, should one be built.

Bucky's closed in December, after more than 30 years in operation as a fast-food joint. Biemick plans to keep the building's basics largely intact, from retaining most, if not all, of the booths inside to using the familiar sign out front.

"But we'll be putting a pig on it," he said.

Comments

ronwell_dobbs 6 years, 5 months ago

Have to tell you, Hickory Creek BBQ in Baldwin is very, very good. The menu is slightly more limited than in most BBQ joints, but the food is outstanding. It's open Thursday for dinner, Friday for dinner, Saturday lunch and dinner, and Sunday lunch. Worth the 20 minute drive sometime.

julz 6 years, 5 months ago

If it is that good, how come I've never heard of it? Will definitely check it out!

Boeing 6 years, 5 months ago

Well I hope it's good, unlike the last new BBQ place in Lawrence. Being so close to KC, I wish we could get truly GREAT BBQ, but we haven't...bummer.

hail2oldku 6 years, 5 months ago

It is much better than the stuff passing as bbq at the former Don's location Boeing. I just hope that the move pays off for Jim. Too many other shops in town have been successful at one location only to flop when they change locals.I still like Grandaddy's in North Lawrence for bbq here in town the best, but Biemers is a close second.

bd 6 years, 5 months ago

Bill's Blue Duck BBQ in Liberal Ks.!

sourpuss 6 years, 5 months ago

I also went to Buf Bob's ONCE, and I, too, wonder how it stays in business. I can only assume its customer base is made up of a bunch of middle class, Audi-driving, Starbucks-liking, no-taste-buds-having milquetoasts.There, I said it.Ah, my dad loved the Bum Steer. Good memories. Vt. Street is just mediocre, and the service is abysmal. Best BBQ I've ever had was my own, but I'll give Beimer's a try.

Sheila Hooper White 6 years, 5 months ago

I still stay the best bbq is in my backyard. My husband can smoke some good ribs and brisket and everything else. The one problem with some bbq places are the sides. I haven't found to many they have good potato salad or cole slaw.But we will give Biemers a try. We also drove out to the new place and it was open but the lot was empty. Figured it probably wasn't good. Everyone has their own favorite and it is never the same as your friends. I know we have friends who swear by Famous Dave's and Arthur Bryant's. We can't stand either.That's why we just fix it on our own. Makes our neighborhood smell AWESOME!!!

KEITHMILES05 6 years, 5 months ago

For the poster who said they went to Vt. St. BBQ and waited 20 mins. with no service...........are you dumb or what? LOL. If you didn't get up to find somebody then ultimately you didn't want to eat.It's a decent place. Don't like Biggs and Granddaddy's.Boss Hawg in Topeka is pretty decent.Gates is awful. All that stupid yelling at you and the way they just slop cold cuts down and splashed with BBQ sauce is disgusting.

Jayhawker1 6 years, 5 months ago

No one has mentioned Big Bubbas! They are the best in KC! They make everyone else look like amateurs...

bigchops 6 years, 5 months ago

Grandaddy's is the best. He has the best bbq sauce.

geniusmannumber1 6 years, 5 months ago

beagledog--Here's a link to a previous discussion when Lone Steer first opened:http://www2.ljworld.com/news/2008/apr...

HootyWho 6 years, 5 months ago

i like Grandaddys, but would love to try somebody different

angstew 6 years, 5 months ago

Excited to try Biemers! As for Lulu, i find her comment embarrassing as a Merc shopper. Most Merc shoppers are not this pretentious...i swear! i have to agree with all of the Buffalo Bobs commentators...that place blows...just like Mass Street Deli blew.

geniusmannumber1 6 years, 5 months ago

I have a serious question. I've lived in this town 20 years, and I've never, never, never met or spoken to anyone who's gone to Buffalo Bob's more than once. Yet it stays open, implying that there are at least a few hard core regulars to keep the place going. Does anyone know one of these people? What's the appeal?

rumor_man 6 years, 5 months ago

It is great Boeing. Why do you think he wants to move out of the Miller Mart? His business is growing.Hopefully he'll move his orange trailer to the Bucky's parking lot instead of being in his driveway.

Bill Lee 6 years, 5 months ago

I miss Amazing Grace at the Grand Emporium in KC. Good meat and the best beans & rice in town. And the music was better than any damned jukebox.

Dixie Jones 6 years, 5 months ago

i'm tellin ya ppl u gotta try wydot bbq its in on state ave in kck not too much further than the speedway... yummy stuff

rollcar 6 years, 5 months ago

Not sure if I'm the only one, but I used to really enjoy the BBQ at Pat's Blue Rib'n on 23rd St. And they had the best steak fries...

beagledog 6 years, 5 months ago

Thanks for the info geniusman. Based on all those negative comments I can see why their parking lot is always empty.

Phil Minkin 6 years, 5 months ago

add to previous post:Best BBQ deal: Turkey Leg at Vermont street

beagledog 6 years, 5 months ago

Does anybody have an opinion on the bbq place where Don's Steak House used to be? I never see any cars in the parking lot; it looks like they are closed all the time

devobrun 6 years, 5 months ago

I know, Wichita isn't really in the area, but it is in Kansas.Across the street from Barry Sanders park on 13th is Pig-In-Pig-Out.First time I ate there, I hurt myself. Didn't eat again for two days.I'm lookin' forward to Biemers. Bring it on.

tbone1 6 years, 5 months ago

was it famous daves even befor he was famous?

Phil Minkin 6 years, 5 months ago

RIBS: Rosedale BBQ on SW Blvd in KC, also great friesCHICKEN/TURKEY: Gates "May I help you?"BEEF/PORK&FREE BURNT ENDS: Bryant's

Bob Forer 6 years, 5 months ago

Thanks for the all the comments. In my opinion, there hasn't been a decent BBQ place in Lawrence since the Bum Steer closed many years ago. But then again, I have yet to try Biemers, and based on the many favorable commments, I am definitely going to give it a try very soon. I grew up in Lawrence, worked as a cook at the Sirloin and Don's Steakhouse, and lived for several years in Kansas City when Arthur Bryant was still alive, and thereafter lived for 15 years in Southeast Kansas. For those reasons, let me chip in my two cents: 1) Don's Steak House used to be great, especially before it moved to its current. For you newbies, it used to be located in a small cinder block building which was later taken over by a wallpaper store. I don't remember the exact location, but it is somewhere in the area of where Culvers, McDonalds, etc, is currently located on Iowa. I understand the quality went down hill over the years leading up to its recent closing, but in the seventies and perhaps into the early eighties, it was a great place for a steak. 2) Nothing compares to Arthur Bryants, but then again, I have only been there once since Mr. Bryant died and since then ,the place was remodeled, etc. The fries were astonishing, and that orange sauce superb. 3) Gates was also acceptable if you wanted a quick, inexpensive meal, and with many locations across KC, it was usually an easier haul than heading down to 12th Street. 3) Besides Bryant's and Gates, there are several places in KC, too numberous to mention, that are better than anything Lawrence has to offer. Rosedale BBQ is one that comes to mind. Have no idea whether its is still open. The many others, I can't remember their names. 4) Vermont Street is just passable. Funny how I never see it filled with diners, as it was when the Paradise was before its last owner ran it into the ground. 5) Buffalo Bob's. Yeah, many many years ago it was ok, but thats when Schumm was starting out. Apparently, after several successful years in the restaurant business he became complacement, and the place turned to crap. Perhaps it was burnout. I worked in the restaurant business for many years, and the good ones stay good because the owners always maintain a constant presence on the premises of at least fifty hours per week. Restaurants are not the type of business you can turn over to a salaried manager and college kids unless you are a large chain corporation or serving burgers. 6) I never understood why folks went ape-sh*t over Chicken Annies, Chicken Mary's or Barto's. Yeah, they all have a little atmosphere, but there is no such thing as great friend chicken deep fried. The Sirloin used to pan fry their Fried Chicken, and it required at least one half an hour, and was made to order. That's the way Fried Chicken should be made. (con;t)

beagledog 6 years, 5 months ago

I am glad to see something finally went it to the old Bucky's location. I've heard good things about Biemer's but have never tried it, but I'm willing to bet it's better than that bbq place where Don's used to be. Is that place still open? I heard they are open only 6 days a week

naturalist 6 years, 5 months ago

Congratulations to Jim B!! I hope you will continue to feed us at the dog shows, too. Love your BBQ, and your sassy attitude. Save me a potato.

Sheila Hooper White 6 years, 5 months ago

i've never tried biemers. will have to give it a try. i will agree with grandaddy's being good. but the best bbq comes from my husband grill on our back deck. we also love a place called half-sauced at the lake of the ozarks. i'm sorry but we hated arthur bryant and vermont street. we actually sat in vermont street for 20 minutes and no one waited on us. the place wasn't even busy. hope this new place is good and stays for awhile.

Tiamak 6 years, 5 months ago

Arthur Bryant's the original loacationVT Street wings Gates Combo and a half with steak friesBoss Hoggs in Topeka on friday nights half price everything.Bum SteerGuy and May'sGrand Daddy's (The bomb) and a catfish samich. With baked beans and red soda. That is good fall to sleep after you eat food, and no its not strawberry or red cream, its just red and good.The worst bbqBuffalo Bobs tied with Quicks.

Buggie7 6 years, 5 months ago

I agree to a certain extent with KUHOOPS I will miss Buckys as well. I mean Ill miss the Buckys of when Duane owned it. The later owners food was terrible. I dont like the buns soggy and wet when I get them. My hubby was a Duanes/ buckys freak wanted to eat there all the time lol. When the new guy took over it sucked eggs. So like the loyal people we are we gave him a couple of months and went back to see if he got the hang of things and it was still terrible. The place was also filthy. As a former employee of Duanes he was very good at keeping his place clean and Craig or whatever his name was I guess didnt care about that,

Cityboy 6 years, 5 months ago

Trinity ...What are chicken sister places?

Confrontation 6 years, 5 months ago

Biemer's is excellent! Try the loaded potato with beef on top. Truly artery clogging and large enough for more than one person, and definitely worth it. For those of you who want to complain about how unhealthy the food is, or how you never go out to eat, we won't miss you.

ronwell_dobbs 6 years, 5 months ago

Agreed on Daniels in Tongie. He makes a smoked hamburger which is a very different way to enjoy a ground beef pattie.

hail2oldku 6 years, 5 months ago

Manda - we went to a party/picnic over the holiday weekend (Thursday evening actually) where Lone Steer was "served" and it was quite lacking, to be polite.Those who know me would be surprised to find that I didn't finish my sandwich.

Bob Forer 6 years, 5 months ago

Multidisciplinary, the names don't ring a bell. Most of my restaurant experience was at the Sirloin, formerly owned by Walt Cragan, a former Douglas County Commissioner, who eventually sold out to a chicken farmer named Ken Kirby who eventually ran it into the ground. I was only at Don's for a brief period. Menu's were very similar, as was the style of cooking. Don was a far better owner than Kirby, and I believe its quality started going downhill as Don aged and spent less and less time in the kitchen, eventually selling out. (Same thing happened to the Paradise, when the original owners burned out and sold out to lesser restauranters. During their heyday, both restaurants would serve close to five hundred customers on Football Saturdays.

hail2oldku 6 years, 5 months ago

Can't believe nobody has mentioned the Bob-B-Q from Bob Evan's yet!!!!It's called sarcasm ;-)

sissezz 6 years, 5 months ago

Thank you!! onlytheone..... i thought i was, the only one who hated KFC. Thank you !!!

OnlyTheOne 6 years, 5 months ago

I was sure hoping for a Church's Chicken.Oh Well....

rumor_man 6 years, 5 months ago

I hope Bobbi will be working for Jim again at his new bigger location. She's cute.

beagledog 6 years, 5 months ago

To hail2oldku: I think that manda2831 is a current employee and was probably asked to write a positive comment. I know the pit boss there and he told me they canned all the managers for some really b.s. reasons. They brought some guy in to try and turn it around; the same guy who TRIED to do the same with prairie fire and the bluejacket restaurants. They are both closed, and the guy is gone. I had ribs last week and they taste cheaper than what they used to have. The opening staff is pretty much gone and the service has gone downhill. The sauce tastes old, and the cheap beer is probably what they bought on when they opened.

Cityboy 6 years, 5 months ago

Okay, I'm going out a limb here. I really like Smokey's BBQ in Wellsville. It's good and very reasonable. You can get a family meal for only $25+ which will feed a family of 4 for the weekend. On the side, Lawrence needs a real good home cooking restaurant similar to Chicken Annie's (Pittsburg, KS), Chicken Mary's (Pittsburg, KS), or Barto's Idle Hour (Frontenac, KS). Does anyone have suggestions for real good home cooking near Lawrence? I know Stroud's is an option, but it's too far.

LA_Ex 6 years, 5 months ago

It isn't bad BBQ at all. Much better than anything else in town (including Grandaddy's) They also do the closest thing you will find to Southern style BBQ in the entire Metro KC area. Hopefully with the new location, they will be able to expand the menu, and prep more food. As a side note, the prices at Biemer's seem a little on the high side for the quantity of food.

beerdrinkingfool 6 years, 5 months ago

I like biggs and granddaddys and vermont street . Bufflo bills is the only bad one i can think of in this town. for a chicken place make mine popeyes, love that spicy chicken.

1Patriot 6 years, 5 months ago

I love Biemers! I've never been able to finish one of their sandwiches, they certainly don't skimp on their servings, I just by pass the sides, pulled pork sandwich for me! As for their BBQ sauce, it's very good, not too spicy. I don't like having to wash my meal down with a gallon of water because my mouths on fire. I prefer to enjoy my food.

beatrice 6 years, 5 months ago

Lulu makes a surprise visit! Now that, folks, is what a left wing nut job sounds like! Makes the rest of us liberals look down right centrist. Love it. Best of luck with the business. I'll be sure to stop in next time I visit Lawrence.

ronwell_dobbs 6 years, 5 months ago

For those who do the backyard BBQ, pick up some bratwurst and Italian sausage from Crisman's House of Sausage in KCK. They also have a sausage called a "BBQ Ring" that will easily feed 4 hungry people.

trinity 6 years, 5 months ago

hey cityboy, the "green acres" restaurant out by the entrance to pomona lake, on 68 highway, is pretty good for home type cookin'. their broasted chicken is to die for! and here we go again on the bbq question, didn't we just have a whole deal on this not too long ago?? my personal faves are fiorella's jackstack, ANY location, and of course guy&mae's. the little bbq place at the miami county airport isn't too awful bad, either-"we b smokin'". and i love the chicken sister's places! :)

Lulu 6 years, 5 months ago

Thats_messed_up 6 years, 5 months ago

"I can only hope the foul smell of roasting animal cadaver doesn't extend to the bus stop and parking lot in front of my Merc. I do not think I could keep my sanity smelling that smell walking with my sacks."LOLOL Thank you left wing Lawrence nutjob for giving me a great laugh tonight! roflmao

chapdaddy 6 years, 5 months ago

Best BBQ in Lawrence (that I've tried):1. Grandaddy's2. Bum Steer (wish they still had a restaurant)3. Vt. St. BBQ on Mass (oxymoron)4. Biggs100. Buffalo Bob's, the WORST BBQ everNever had Biemer's, but will give it a try.

LA_Ex 6 years, 5 months ago

In this order:1. Oklahoma Joe's (the original not the JoCo one)2. LC's (the original not the JoCo one)3. Biemer's4. Vt. StreetIf it's a chain, it's not good BBQ. Just a good rule to live by. ;)

monkeyspunk 6 years, 5 months ago

Meh, sauce sauce sauce. If you have to cover the meat in sauce, it isn't cooked right.Any jackass can by a smoker/pit and cook meat and pour sauce on it. Quality of meat + skill = good bbqI have never had good bbq in Lawrence. I am spoiled though I guess since I worked at a very good smokehouse for about 6 years when I was a kid. I will admit that at times I do have to settle and quench the bbq itch, unfortunately I don't live close to Daniel's in Tongie anymore.

Cityboy 6 years, 5 months ago

Mis-"Informed" (just joking) ... Have you tried Barto's Idle Hour Lounge? Just ate at Chicken Mary's last weekend. The Chicken was good, onion rings were good, German potato salad was bad. Got to have the rings! Like the nostalgia, grew up eating at Chicken Annie's most weekends.

Eric Ryan 6 years, 5 months ago

While I'd lean towards either Oklahoma Joe's (the one on 47th street/County Line Road in KC, KS), Danny Edwards, or Smokestack on Wornall as the best BBQ joints around...it's hard to rate them overall...each has their specialty.Best Burnt Ends: Big Poppa's BBQ in KC, KS, Arthur Bryants (the original location) or Danny Edwards in KCBest Pork Ribs - Fiorella's Jackstack or Smokestack (on Wornall Rd in KC)Best Beans: Smokestack or Oklahoma Joe'sBest Beef Ribs: Oklahoma Joe'sIn all honesty, it's hard to find truly bad BBQ.

6 years, 5 months ago

I wish people would give Lone Steer another chance. I was disappointed when I read all of the negative comments after their story appeared in the paper, but still wanted to try it for myself. We waited a month or so and went for lunch one day. We were the only people in the place and thought the ribs were great. We also had the beans and fried okra as well as the bread pudding. We thought the ribs were definitely in line with any other BBQ place in town, if not better. I think people just need to go into Lone Steer understanding the concept. People were really irritated that they weren't checked on every 10 minutes by a waiter, but this place isn't meant to be a sit down, wait-on-me kind of place. It's very "self-service" like a fast food joint. If you're water glass is empty, get up and get yourself a refill. The staff is friendly and more than willing to help you figure out the menu or answer any questions that you might have. I hope their business picks up. It really is good BBQ.

kessman 6 years, 5 months ago

average bbq.we will see what the move does with price and portions

deskboy04 6 years, 5 months ago

Chicken Annies and Marys are the best places to eat in the entire world. The gizzards are amazing.

somebodynew 6 years, 5 months ago

OTSS- or maybe an apartment complex. We so need either of them.

Bob Forer 6 years, 5 months ago

7) For those of you in dining in SE Kansas (Pittsburg, Joplin, Parsons), check out Old Miner's Inn in Alba, Missouri. Alba is the home town of the three baseball Boyer brothers, Clete, Ken, and Cloyd. It can't be more than a thousand or two in population, but it has an amazing Five Star French restaurant run by Leo and family. Don't know his last name. He is German, and European trained, as is his family. Very small. There is only one dining rotation a night, so most folks arrive at six and linger til nine or ten. The kitchen is immaculate, and Leo is so proud of it that he will gladly give you a tour. Don't know if Leo is retired, or even alive, as he was getting up there in age, and its been nine years since I left the area. Food is wonderful, and rivals the best restaurants in the world, in my opinion. My last dinner date, which included appetizers, pre-meal Scotch, a bottle of decent wine, and the proverbial after-dinner round of Couvousier was around $120.00. But that was going all out, and of course, around ten years ago. My guess is that it they are still in business, you can by for maybe forty dollars a plate if you don't want to put on the dog, and believe me, its worth ten dinners from Chicken Annies, etc. P.S. Reservations highly recommended.

chapdaddy 6 years, 5 months ago

Sounds like this Biemer's place is good. I will def. try it.The best rib joint within 45-50 mi. is Guy and Mae's Tavern in Williamsburg, KS.

ivandollar 6 years, 5 months ago

beagledog-Manda2831 doesn't work for or having anything to do with Lone Steer. I actually went with her in the meal she referenced. The ribs were quite good (it was early on Saturday, so that may or may not have day something to do with it).The fact that we went when almost no one was there, made the DIY nature of service easier to understand.I have had Biemer's sandwiches several times, and I was quite impressed.The next time I have BBQ I will be going to Biemer's if it is open. If not, I will be trying Lone Steer again. If it is destine not to make it, I will enjoy it while it is around.

Kent Fisher 6 years, 5 months ago

I miss Bucky's...the shaved ice, the double cheeseburgers with grilled onions, Pepsi hour. Sandy's/Bucky's was a Lawrence institution, yet another victim of westward growth, and crushed by the corporate chains. Duane and family, you will be missed. And Craig, too.

chzypoof1 6 years, 5 months ago

Famous Dave's? Wow, we are SO sheltered in this town. Oklahoma Joe's, in KC, blows away anything we have in this town that's supposed to be bbq. Famous Dave's is worse than eating a mcRiblet. I will try the new place, but trust me. Give some tax dollars to kck and try it. And Lulu.....if god didn't intend us to eat meat, he wouldn't have made it so tasty!!!!poof

Marcus DeMond 6 years, 5 months ago

I can't wait to try Biemers when it moves to the new location. I noticed it for the first time the other day and thought of Oklahoma Joe's which also being in a gas station. So far Oklahoma Joes (either location) is my absolute favorite BBQ. the sauce is great and their Z-Man sandwich (beef brisket, smoked provolone and two onion rings) is soo good. My measuring stick for BBQ is the beef brisket. You wont find any fatty pieces and it looks like perfection. Their fries are seasoned in crack or something. You will be hooked after eating one. Gates you have to ask for lean or it's a fatty mess. I just ate at Arthur Bryants downtown and it sucked. Fatty brisket and fries were lame. Fiorellas Jackstack is great. Vermont St. BBQ has great smoked wings on Wednesdays. Wish I had tried Don's steakhouse after driving by for 8 years.

6 years, 5 months ago

"It has saved me many years and who-knows-how-many years of trial and error."Make that "It has saved me many years and who-knows-how-many dollars of trial and error."

Meatwad 6 years, 5 months ago

Wow Lulu. That's really embarassing to me as a Merc shopper and supporter. Please know that we Merc shoppers aren't all judgemental like Lulu. I'll be stopping by the new BBQ after my next Merc shopping trip for sure. Good luck to the new restaurant. I'm glad to see some life on that corner finally and I hope more will come. I also agree that B. Bobs USED to be better and has gone downhill in the past several years.

Wendy magillicutty 6 years, 5 months ago

could you please serve something green that is NOT deep fat fried or drenched in mayo n sugar?? pretty please? a salad goes good with bbq, honest to pete!

TheEleventhStephanie 6 years, 5 months ago

6 months ago, Multi. ANd I was just at that nail salon today for the first time. I was impressed! It was the cleanest one I've seen in this io town!

bevy 6 years, 5 months ago

I'm so old (40) I remember when Bucky's was Sandy's - and I was ticked because my mom made me share a 10 cent hamburger with my little brother. I asked her why I couldn't have my own, and she said "You couldn't eat a whole one!" We used to go there for our after swimming lessons party every summer. Sounds like the new guy will be keeping up the family friendly tradition.By the way - Biggs also has GREAT BBQ. B-Bob's used to be good, but has really gone downhill in the past 10 years....I don't go there anymore.

LA_Ex 6 years, 5 months ago

BTW, I agree. Buffalo Bob's is by far the worst BBQ I've ever had (I put the "BBQ" they served in the Navy above it).

hail2oldku 6 years, 5 months ago

ivandollar (Anonymous) says: "The next time I have BBQ I will be going to Biemer's if it is open. If not, I will be trying Lone Steer again. If it is destine not to make it, I will enjoy it while it is around."Lone Steer will be around as long as Bush's daddy-in-law's $$ is available just like his real estate company before having to sell out to McGrew.

6 years, 5 months ago

Biemer's has some really decent food. The place in the Phillips 66 station is just up around the corner from my house so I've been there a few times - as well as some family members.Biemer's is decent BBQ - and decently priced. BBQ is just plain old expensive to produce, due to the inordinate amount of fuel that has to be spent cooking the food at low temperatures for extended periods of time.Add to that the labor of trimming and grooming the various meats, then the capacity and labor to serve it and you can see that BBQ is an elite treat as a general style of eating.The owner at Biemers has always been super friendly and gave me a good natured ribbing once about ordering the KC style sauce. His heart is definitely with southern style BBQ, but he's also a sharp enough business man to know which market he's in.BBQ is SO subjective . . . I seriously don't know how anyone can say one BBQ joint is better than the other . . . I like them all . . . but once you've had competition style BBQ you'll be spoiled from all other BBQ available at retail.If you'd like to up your BBQ game, I recommend reading this site;http://bbq-brethren.com(if you register, tell them QansasjayhawQ sent you.)It's full of the nicest, most helpful people who are incredibly passionate about BBQ in all it's different styles, even those from other countries. A couple weeks ago there was a thread on Brasilian BBQ. It's the Very Best Place for BBQ information. It has saved me many years and who-knows-how-many years of trial and error. Enjoy!Peace!/Brother Dave

Buggie7 6 years, 5 months ago

I cant believe someone above put cutters on their list at #2. while most of their meats are good, Their ribs suck and are always full of fat. You can never get any good meat off of them at all. Their sauces are lame too. The spicy and the regular sauce I swear are the same damn sauce in different bottles and not much different than the ketchup.Buffalo Bobs has gone way down hill. I wouldnt mind going in there now and then if everytime I went in there I didnt see a mouse run across the floor. That has happened to my children and I twice now.I used to frequent a place named Sammys bbq in KC. I was wondering if anyone has ever heard of it. Now that was some bbq with a capital B.I agree with someones above statement that the Bum Steer really needs to reopen a restaurant somewhere. Their meat and sauces are out of this world. The burnt end platter with those yummy beans.